Pre-Screening To Be Launched This Year: Thai Immigration Bureau

webfact

Pre-screening to be launched this year: Immigration Bureau

Kornkamon Aksorndej,

Ittipon Iamchoei

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau is preparing to launch a pre-screening system for visitors to Thailand before the end of this year.

This crucial step, in addition to equipping immigration officials with foreign-language skills, is part of preparation for the Asean Economic Community (AEC), which will kick off in 2015.

"The new system will allow us to check passenger names against the blacklist before their arrival," Immigration Bureau chief Pol Lt-General Panu Lerdlarpphol said yesterday.

He said that in order to prepare for the AEC, fluency in English would be a necessary qualification for immigration officers.

"We will also consider getting officials to learn a third language such as Lao, Cambodia, Mandarin or Japanese depending on the number of visitors from that country," Panu said.

More than 30 million people had travelled in and out of Thailand this year, he noted.

The immigration bureau would improve its technology to better prevent blacklisted people from entering the country.

"We will also ensure that there is an adequate number of computers available for use and all personnel have access to the updated database," he said.

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police Division 4 yesterday launched its "Smart Police and Social Network for AEC" project.

The bureau has eight Bangkok police stations in its jurisdiction.

The bureau's commander Pol Maj-General Naiyawat Padermchit said the project aimed to ensure that police looked smart, were able to use new technology and could communicate with foreigners.

The project will kick off by launching English and Chinese-language courses for 30 officers today.

"We will also create a Facebook account through which people can provide clues or tip-offs," Naiyawat said, adding that officers under his supervision will also use Twitter, e-mail, Line and YouTube in suppressing crime.

"These applications will allow for two-way communication. We have discovered that people's access to leaflets prepared by the police is very limited," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-30

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think English would always be a priority. Just about every nation (apart from Thailand), irrespective of mother tongue, speaks English. China is fast learning English as well. Teaching anyone Laos or Cambodian? How many 'visitors' do we get from there? Mandarin and English I think would be a good start with emphasis on English. Japanese is way down the list at 3rd place as being essential.

• Like 2

"We will also create a Facebook account through which people can provide clues or tip-offs," Naiyawat said, adding that officers under his supervision will also use Twitter, e-mail, Line and YouTube in suppressing crime.

Next time you see an immigration office busy on his cellphone while ignoring the long queue at his desk, you can be sure he's just getting job-related feedback for self-improvement. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

English would be the worldwide language of communication.

Some countries might generally have a lower knowledge of english than others.

Having an interpreter for major languages might be more efficient than trying to get immigration officers able to converse in Mandarin or Russian for that matter.

I would think English would always be a priority. Just about every nation (apart from Thailand), irrespective of mother tongue, speaks English. China is fast learning English as well. Teaching anyone Laos or Cambodian? How many 'visitors' do we get from there? Mandarin and English I think would be a good start with emphasis on English. Japanese is way down the list at 3rd place as being essential.

Russian is important as well. Many visitors comes from there and they mostly speak poor English.

• Like 1

Cannot remember when an immigration officer talked to me on arrival ..they look passport and stamped ... ok I go in and out all the time and my passport is full of stamps , honestly no need to engage conversation specially with long queue. Usually they would say what hotel you stay ...and that's it .

• Like 1

Waiting times will not be longer, because the guy in front of you will be taken out of the line, if he even gets that far, as being undesireable in the country, he won't be tieing up your time while immigration wonders if he should go through secondary questioning, or bringing a higher up over to question him more about his visit to Thailand, his purpose, his funds etc. Hopefully this will be done before he/she even reaches the immigration desk.

"Please come this way, Sir or Madam." Learning a second language is secondary to getting the people who are not wanted in Thailand out of the line and into the lockup. Look at the big picture those fellows on T.V. this morning/every morning who steal your money, cameras, cellphones, atm cards etc., who come from another country, who offer you drugs on the street and any other illegal services may not get the opportunity that they once had.

It could save you more than a few minutes, the prescreening policy could save your life.

Actually, the pre-screening process should not allow the person to board the plane to Thailand, I believe.

Last time I came through Swampy, any people who had not filled in their arrival cars (properly) were moved aside to let the other people through. That and the snake systems seems to be more efficient.

• Like 1

Getting a job in immigration here isn't so much skill related. One must have family connections or know someone in the Police or immigration. Even then Its an expensive job to buy into. Yes these jobs are sold sometimes for several million baht. Its not a case of going along and saying "I have perfect English and feel I would be good for the job" Oh no.

When Swampi opened I was living with Thai Police woman and paid for her entrance exams and courses. Before the 20,000+ applicants where going to get their results almost all of the 250 positions where filled behind closed doors. Many couldn't speak a word of English.

As with many aspects of Thai society and corporate hierarchy educated professional cannot get to the positions where they are needed. As a result complete incompetents end up in positions of authority.

These jobs are handed down through the old boys network.

I will be glad to pass your post on to my many friends in immigration. In fact I will be sure to do this tomorrow as I have to go anyway.

Thanks for your deep insight into the workings of the Thai Immigration.

English would be the worldwide language of communication.

Some countries might generally have a lower knowledge of english than others.

Having an interpreter for major languages might be more efficient than trying to get immigration officers able to converse in Mandarin or Russian for that matter.

Each and every one of our superbly-trained staff speaks English = gain face

Our clods are too stupid to learn English and so we need to have bright smart interpreters to speak for them = lose face.

Edited by robsamui