Pre-Screening To Be Launched This Year: Thai Immigration Bureau

webfact

How comic that this is a discussion on the the subject of Thai oficials learning English, and comments on their ability to use what they may or may not have retained, whereas many posts appearing on this board are littered with spelling and grammatical errors, and such a phenomenon is supported by the mods who clamp down on the 'grammar Nazis'. I am not so naive to expect perfection but with the availability of software to check spelling and grammar, and the practice of reading through what one has written before posting, surely indicates that the root cause is laziness. If people from the First World cannot be bothered, why should Thai peoples? I am not holding my breath that the abilities of any Thai official wil improve if this latest initiative by what passes for a Thai Government is actually implemented.

It's not laziness - it's quite simply people don't care, I very seldom use a spell checker or read over my posts, as long as people get the general gist of what I'm saying then I couldn't give a rats ass about the odd typo, hav u ever tried reading a teenager text message - a whole new form of shorthand has developed - they couldn't give a shit about spelling either - perhaps you should consider a contribution to this thread rather than wasting your time slating people whistling.gif

I agree 100%. It's bad manners and poor etticate to pull people up on typos and errors in grammar on an informal (international) internet forum. This is all just informal discussion and as long as we understand each other that's all that matters.

Bagwan should read up on Muphrey's law: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Muphry's_law

Just a quick check of his post revealed some glaring errors in spelling eg. "Thai peoples" and "wil" just for starters. Some paragraphs could have come in handy too.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are very deluded if you think that. All the tourists I know who came to Thailand love it here and want to come back. All those that have been to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, etc don't have any desire to go back at all. Tourists love Thailand. And they keep coming back.

Yet tourism is growing faster in Vietnam and Cambodia than Thailand. And all the people that I know that have discovered Cambodia now spend more time there than in Thailand.

Different demographic though, the package tourists are descending on Thailand, and the adventure seekers and backpackers are moving away.

Well it's much easier to grow more quickly if you have minimal tourists to begin with. Mature tourist markets aren't going to grow by leaps and bounds. But still, I can't see what will make tourists leave Thailand in large numbers. Tourists numbers are still growing, so there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos will overtake Thailand anytime in my our lifetimes.

• Like 1

Well it's much easier to grow more quickly if you have minimal tourists to begin with. Mature tourist markets aren't going to grow by leaps and bounds. But still, I can't see what will make tourists leave Thailand in large numbers. Tourists numbers are still growing, so there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos will overtake Thailand anytime in my our lifetimes.

There's a distinct anti-Thailand sentiment to a lot of these posts. It's like some people are wanting and hoping that Thailand's tourism market will fail.

I can’t speak a word of Thai after being here for 10 years, just because I am mainly too old to learn, too lazy to learn and have a Thai wife that does all the negotiating for me.

However I seem to have gotten along over all of those years here, the same as all the Thais have gotten along. Can’t see a problem really.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer they only speak Thai

I cannot speak one word of Thai

It means they ask no questions

They take passport, stamp it and I am off

Can only imagine the delays of they try to

ask questions in a foreign language

"pardon, what, pardon, again please ... slowly"

No thanks

Thais rarely say "pardon" 95% of the time its an impatient Huh?!?

and have a Thai wife that does all the negotiating for me.

... and that's exactly the way they like it. They don't want to negotiate with no Farang if they can avoid it.

I've been here for 7 years with my Filipino wife, and each and every time we are anywhere the Thais immediately turn to my wife and start talking to her in Thai. I really don't think they respect "smart ass" Farang who can speak their language fluently.

• Like 2

You cannot speak "one word of Thai" WOW, hope you are only a short stay visitor. Ever heard of RESPECT ?

I wanted to learn Thai for awhile, as it would suit what I want to do. I have learned languages before. But I chose not to learn Thai when no one could make a case for why my doing so would in the best interests of Thais I'd meet. When I saw an airport billboard that said 5 x the population in England were learning English in China, that kinda sealed it.

I wanted to learn Thai.

They needed to learn English.

Simple. I try to look at the bigger picture when making decisions and I find this to be more Selfishly optimal.

I'm not sure I care for "respect" & "politeness" if they're to come at the expense of genuine, transparent honesty. If you need to think in those terms, I guess I'd wonder why? I just try to be as Selfish as I can be, and everything else seems to fall into place. I understand others value deference, acknowledgement, consideration but I've never had any use for such 'niceties'. I find the assumption that I could to be mildly insulting when it prevents my being told the truth. Only deceit can bother me & I think it's really quite rude when people Do Unto Me As They Would Have Me Do Unto Them, you know what I mean? How is that supposed to work with "insanity"?

• Like 1

Simple. I try to look at the bigger picture when making decisions and I find this to be more Selfishly optimal.

I'm not sure I care for "respect" & "politeness" if they're to come at the expense of genuine, transparent honesty. If you need to think in those terms, I guess I'd wonder why? I just try to be as Selfish as I can be, and everything else seems to fall into place. I understand others value deference, acknowledgement, consideration but I've never had any use for such 'niceties'. I find the assumption that I could to be mildly insulting when it prevents my being told the truth. Only deceit can bother me & I think it's really quite rude when people Do Unto Me As They Would Have Me Do Unto Them, you know what I mean? How is that supposed to work with "insanity"?

huh????????

Who's more confused? You or me?smile.png

I wanted to learn Thai for awhile, as it would suit what I want to do. I have learned languages before. But I chose not to learn Thai when no one could make a case for why my doing so would in the best interests of Thais I'd meet. When I saw an airport billboard that said 5 x the population in England were learning English in China, that kinda sealed it.

I wanted to learn Thai.

Yeah. Social skills are overrated.

You cannot speak "one word of Thai" WOW, hope you are only a short stay visitor. Ever heard of RESPECT ?

I wanted to learn Thai.

Now why am I NOT surprised that they call you scooter!!!

Even though, I think that several other suggestions would be more appropriateblink.png!!

Posts using overly large fonts have been removed. Use the default forum font when posting.

Posting in all capitals or in all bold, and using large or unusual fonts and colors is bad netiquette.

A post using disguised profanity has been removed as well.

huh????????

Honesty is confusing? I get that a lot.

Yeah. Social skills are overrated.

Yes. They're not really needed. You know how to talk. You know how to be honest. Simple.

But this is a thread about Pre-Screening prior to launch of the AEC. Are they really bringing in free movement of Goods & Services or will it just be like in the EU? Anyone can live anywhere? How's this going to pan out for avg wage; Thailand has higher than all except Singapore no?

... and that's exactly the way they like it. They don't want to negotiate with no Farang if they can avoid it.

I've been here for 7 years with my Filipino wife, and each and every time we are anywhere the Thais immediately turn to my wife and start talking to her in Thai. I really don't think they respect "smart ass" Farang who can speak their language fluently.

very true and very annoying, two occasions that I remember well was being stopped on my bike for overtaking lorries on HW36 on the outside lane (the correct way to do it) the cop kept trying to talk with GF even though she obviously had no clue about traffic laws, I interupted several times and told the cop to talk to me not her, I eventually sent her away and then proceeded to tell the cop what I thought of him, eventually he walked away when he realise there would be no tea money coming from me, happened again same day further down the road, Thai traffic laws are no different to western laws when it comes to passing vehicles.

I also think the reason falangs are contantly hoping countries like cambodia get their act together is because they are fed up with the attitude of Thais towards tourists which in my opinion is getting worse not better - we would all like nothing better than to see Thailand knocked off their hi horse and actually have to start making an effort as the alternative Asian destinations start to become more attractive, it is becoming increasingly obvious to me that Thai's don't want us here - they want us to come spend money but show no respect or toleration at the fact we do, all they want is Rip-off and cheat as much money from falang as possible, what would help Thailand and their attitude is an obvious migration or tourists and expats to other countries for a couple of years - then they might learn the value of us visitors here and start to show some respect and appriciate that we actually choose to come here, I only see this attitude when I go to more remote areas where tourists only visit for about 4 months a year - the rest of the year the area is deserted, in cities like Pattaya Thais have become rude ignorant and have no understanding that tourism is their bread and butter - so yes it would be nice to see cambodia and burma get their act together and have Thais actually realise that they need to compete for tourism rather than just expect it and abuse it.

Also

• Like 1

This procedure is almost completley useless and pure window dressing.

It will not be able to stop anyone bar the most incompetant.

In other words, the most deserving who should be stopped will in no way at all be troubled by this.

Unless you are on the most wanted list all one needs to do to get off any black list and enter thailand is;

1-pay money in the form of either ;

A- an overt bribe or ;

B- enlisting the services of a lawyer who will " smooth things over".

2- One can also change the name that one travel's with either slightly or completley ( something most europeans can do legaly and quite easily and which renders all lists completley useless)

Or of course obtain illegal documents that are still readily available.

You are correct Had 6 passports and I did not know my real name.

Jason Bourne?

No but when friends call you out by your real name, on the way out of airports, while immigration has your current passport in their hands, it can be quite a moment, you yelling sorry your mistaken I do not know you, you have the wrong guy. I found it quite handy that many immigration officers in Asia did not have a good understanding of English 37 years ago, thank goodness, it saved my butt on a few different ocassions.

Now I am teaching the next generation of Thai leaders to speak English as well as the current generation of Thai teachers. Many days in all honesty I wonder it will be of any benefit to them at all. As I tell them , you have to use it.

• Like 1

I speak Thai, planning to spend the rest of my life here I went to a language school, pre arranged it before I came. I live with my Thai girlfriend who is white, I am a darker skinned Canadian, darker than most Canadians as such and darker than her. Similiar to the photo here. People think that my g/f is a foreigner, and will talk to me first

Just wondered...... Thais speaking English, was there some sort of gap/problem 30 - 40 years ago ?

Been here 9 years, always appears to be the same, many older Thais speak good English, and most young ones, just appears that far fewer Thais between 35 - 50 can speak or understand any English.. I do not mean Professionals I am talking about the every day Village Thais..

Always amazed me going to the different Village markets over the years the amount of older market traders that speak to me in English, even when I try to practice a bit of Thai, they will reply in English

Yeap, the ten words they have learned from visiting westernes.

I speak Thai, planning to spend the rest of my life here I went to a language school, pre arranged it before I came. I live with my Thai girlfriend who is white, I am a darker skinned Canadian, darker than most Canadians as such and darker than her. Similiar to the photo here. People think that my g/f is a foreigner, and will talk to me first

LOL. I'm a fair bit darker than my white skinned wife too, but they don't confuse me for Thai. They always confuse my wife for Thai.

I would think English would always be a priority. Just about every nation (apart from Thailand), irrespective of mother tongue, speaks English. China is fast learning English as well. Teaching anyone Laos or Cambodian? How many 'visitors' do we get from there? Mandarin and English I think would be a good start with emphasis on English. Japanese is way down the list at 3rd place as being essential.

Russian is important as well. Many visitors comes from there and they mostly speak poor English.

lets just say , i hope the russians get as much respect and consideration as they give others on their travels

I would think English would always be a priority. Just about every nation (apart from Thailand), irrespective of mother tongue, speaks English. China is fast learning English as well. Teaching anyone Laos or Cambodian? How many 'visitors' do we get from there? Mandarin and English I think would be a good start with emphasis on English. Japanese is way down the list at 3rd place as being essential.

Russian is important as well. Many visitors comes from there and they mostly speak poor English.

lets just say , i hope the russians get as much respect and consideration as they give others on their travels

Pattaya Central Festival Mall was jam packed with Russians this evening. I give them as much respect and consideration as they give me.smile.png

I only which we had the same VISA Regulations in Germany or Europe...

regarding to the language skills....not ALL german immigration officers are fluent in English I guess...

probably,...but i bet its over 90%

What this will translate out to is a trickle down bullshit issue, whereby the foreigner being targeted will most likely be profiled based upon discrimination against their nation or their leaders or their religion, and have nothing to do with that foreigner's personal character, criminal record (or lack thereof) and behavior. I am describing this "Black List" that the Thais create out of their own good will towards national security and Thai mothers being able to sleep securley without fear of being stabbed to death by their offspring, or Thai teachers walking home and having someone come up behind them and slitting their throats and leaving them to bleed to death after realizing it was a case of mistaken identity.

You can't fool me, Mr. Reporter. I know how these people, who put corn flakes on their breasts and lapels, operate. They go through the motions, dress up with nowhere to go, frown sanctimoniously at everyone around them and make out like they are accomplishing something. Occasionally they create their own headlines in a feeble attempt to boost a "convincing" public relations campaign that is on par with genetically manufactured golf balls. That doesn't exist you say? Exactly my point!

This is another mantle of sweetness for the public's viewing pleasure, on an already F.U.B.A.R. system. As the saying goes, "You cannot blame human error on inanimate objects."; and there is plenty of the former.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

Wow.. I honestly never knew that the passport control officials at the airport don't speak English, I'm truly astounded.

I would have thought that it was a requirement of the job.

Same as you would think that the tourist police could speak english. Just put these immigration people on the same course as the tourist police and they will be fluent in english within 6 months.

huh????????

Me

Personally I prefer they only speak Thai

I cannot speak one word of Thai

It means they ask no questions

They take passport, stamp it and I am off

Can only imagine the delays of they try to

ask questions in a foreign language

"pardon, what, pardon, again please ... slowly"

No thanks

Well, LuckyLew does have a point. I'm fluent in Thai, I speak, read and write it, but I still speak English to all the police officers and immigration officers because I've found that the ability to speak Thai often puts me at a disadvantage. They are less forgiving, less gracious, and I end up getting one-upped on both sides. That is, the officials pull rank on me as they would on the locals, but they expect me to pay more because I'm a foreigner. If you don't know you're supposed to do something, they don't take offense because you're just an ignorant farang, and to try to explain it to you in English would be a loss of face for them if they're not fluent in English, so they just wave you through with a smile.