BANGKOK 23 May 2019 06:16
Sign in to follow this  
David48

How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

Gentlemen ... I need your experience and advice.

In 10 days I leave the comfy surrounds of my home in Australia and will be hauling my ass over to Thailand.

Have done this more then 15 times before ... but I have always stayed in a hotel.

Flushing toilets, warm showers, English TV ... sheer luxuries where I am going.

So ... How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

• Like 2

I have bought a Solar Shower.

post-104736-0-01983200-1351723327_thumb.

Tried it at home with mixed results ... but beats the saucepan of cold water down your back ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

First thing I did was equip the toilet (I can't squat with my knees) with toilet bowl, shower, water heater. Easy enough. We too will be living without mod cons soon when I knock a wall out and do the whole kitchen/bathroom properly. Showers? You can lay a hosepipe on the roof and have hot water. . I watch very little TV, but no internet? You need that to download films you want to watch.

Don't worry, you'll be ok

Thanks for your thoughts above cooked ... and that does raise some points for additional information.

The Farm does have both a squat and sit down toilet, but not a flush toilet and the loo paper goes into the bin next to the seat.

Also, I'm a guest there so anything will have to be of a relatively minor nature.

How do you guys cope (in a simple way) with the mozzies?

Forget the toilet paper David, you will quickly master the art of using a bum gun, they are much cleaner than paper.

Make sure your bed has a mozzie net, and if your a mozzie magnet you may have to apply Deet to your bare parts when your out and about.

The mozzie that transmits dengue fever is active during daylight and he is the one to be wary of.

The mozzies always move towards warmth so if using a fan ensures that you are in the coolest part of the room, you shouldn't have problems. You may wish to investigate if there is any stagnant water nearby, you can get for free a powder to scatter on this to kill the larvae. I got a bite last night for the first time in months, don't know why the wife turned the fan off.

Cmon David, its fantastic living at the farm!

So you gotta have a different shower and slightly different toilet.....big deal! thats 1 maybe 2 cold showers a day which is beautifully refreshing with tropical heat and squat for a poop maybe couple times a day...not a big deal!

I put ceilings in wifes parents house which for a cheap outlay is worth every cent and helps with bugs and insects and keeps the heat down. Perhaps buy a bug zapper from Bunnings here that would help with mozzies or take mozzie coils.

I miss the farm everytime I leave, its like going back in time 100 years our village. Our house is alot better than some others, we have brick walls, now ceilings windows with glass which is better than some houses around so its basic living but I really love it and nowdays stay away from the Issan hotels.

Have you got a microwave?, fridge? music?...gotta have at least these items.

Havnt you ever stayed at the farm before?.....man thats the good life, enjoy!

I put a 22 gal black plastic bucket with lid out on some metal roofing (there seems to be always some around) for evening hot water. The citronella repellant sold everywhere in Thailand works for me. Deets is better but I think more toxic. Fan at night seems to confuse the mozzies, When the sun begins to go down, long sleeves and pants. The bum gun works great IF they have a fair bit of pressure. You may have much time on your hands, if no internet and only Thai TV, bring books, learn a new trade:rolleyes.gif When I moved into my wife's sisters house, they still prepared food on the ground. I build tables and bought a sink stand to wash the dishes. If they still eat sitting on the ground, one of those low beach chairs can be a life safer if you are a stiff old guy like me.

• Like 2

Some really great ideas above ... thumbsup.gif

My Member name gives a good clue to my age, and hence mobility.

As for how many times I have stayed at the Farm ... only over night a few times.

So, the next 2 months is going to be one big fat learning curve!

What bunnydrops above says rings a bell with me ... DEET insect repellants do worry me but I have used the OFF! and it works fine.

BTW ... I'm not a city boy all my life ... and also not a 'know it all' ... hence asking you fine folk your experiences when you first went to live 'at the farm' ... and the tips and tricks you did to make your life more 'comfortable'.

Thanks again and keep those 'tips and tricks' coming ... wai.gif

Forget the toilet paper David, you will quickly master the art of using a bum gun, they are much cleaner than paper.

Make sure your bed has a mozzie net, and if your a mozzie magnet you may have to apply Deet to your bare parts when your out and about.

The mozzie that transmits dengue fever is active during daylight and he is the one to be wary of.

you think that a bathroom with no flush-down toilet has a bum gun? tongue.png

The Farm does have both a squat and sit down toilet, but not a flush toilet
  • Like 1

The mozzies always move towards warmth so if using a fan ensures that you are in the coolest part of the room, you shouldn't have problems. You may wish to investigate if there is any stagnant water nearby, you can get for free a powder to scatter on this to kill the larvae. I got a bite last night for the first time in months, don't know why the wife turned the fan off.

a slightly higher allocation of household money should do the "fan" trick.

you think that a bathroom with no flush-down toilet has a bum gun? tongue.png

The Farm does have both a squat and sit down toilet, but not a flush toilet

I got the reply overnight, sadly Naam, you are correct ... no bum gun ... sad.png

Edited by David48

We don't have many problems with mozzies where I am, but I buy the citronella based mozzie repellent, all natural and no deet content.

I think most corner shops sell it.

Oh and last night we had no fans on, and we were fighting for the duvet. Bloody tatties here in Phetchabun.

• Like 1