How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

Gentlemen ... I need your experience and advice.

In 10 days I leave the comfy surrounds of my home in Australia and will be hauling my ass over to Thailand.

Have done this more then 15 times before ... but I have always stayed in a hotel.

Flushing toilets, warm showers, English TV ... sheer luxuries where I am going.

So ... How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

• Like 2

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First thing I did was equip the toilet (I can't squat with my knees) with toilet bowl, shower, water heater. Easy enough. We too will be living without mod cons soon when I knock a wall out and do the whole kitchen/bathroom properly. Showers? You can lay a hosepipe on the roof and have hot water. . I watch very little TV, but no internet? You need that to download films you want to watch.

Don't worry, you'll be ok

Thanks for your thoughts above cooked ... and that does raise some points for additional information.

The Farm does have both a squat and sit down toilet, but not a flush toilet and the loo paper goes into the bin next to the seat.

Also, I'm a guest there so anything will have to be of a relatively minor nature.

How do you guys cope (in a simple way) with the mozzies?

Forget the toilet paper David, you will quickly master the art of using a bum gun, they are much cleaner than paper.

Make sure your bed has a mozzie net, and if your a mozzie magnet you may have to apply Deet to your bare parts when your out and about.

The mozzie that transmits dengue fever is active during daylight and he is the one to be wary of.

The mozzies always move towards warmth so if using a fan ensures that you are in the coolest part of the room, you shouldn't have problems. You may wish to investigate if there is any stagnant water nearby, you can get for free a powder to scatter on this to kill the larvae. I got a bite last night for the first time in months, don't know why the wife turned the fan off.

Cmon David, its fantastic living at the farm!

So you gotta have a different shower and slightly different toilet.....big deal! thats 1 maybe 2 cold showers a day which is beautifully refreshing with tropical heat and squat for a poop maybe couple times a day...not a big deal!

I put ceilings in wifes parents house which for a cheap outlay is worth every cent and helps with bugs and insects and keeps the heat down. Perhaps buy a bug zapper from Bunnings here that would help with mozzies or take mozzie coils.

I miss the farm everytime I leave, its like going back in time 100 years our village. Our house is alot better than some others, we have brick walls, now ceilings windows with glass which is better than some houses around so its basic living but I really love it and nowdays stay away from the Issan hotels.

Have you got a microwave?, fridge? music?...gotta have at least these items.

Havnt you ever stayed at the farm before?.....man thats the good life, enjoy!

I put a 22 gal black plastic bucket with lid out on some metal roofing (there seems to be always some around) for evening hot water. The citronella repellant sold everywhere in Thailand works for me. Deets is better but I think more toxic. Fan at night seems to confuse the mozzies, When the sun begins to go down, long sleeves and pants. The bum gun works great IF they have a fair bit of pressure. You may have much time on your hands, if no internet and only Thai TV, bring books, learn a new trade:rolleyes.gif When I moved into my wife's sisters house, they still prepared food on the ground. I build tables and bought a sink stand to wash the dishes. If they still eat sitting on the ground, one of those low beach chairs can be a life safer if you are a stiff old guy like me.

• Like 2

Some really great ideas above ... thumbsup.gif

My Member name gives a good clue to my age, and hence mobility.

As for how many times I have stayed at the Farm ... only over night a few times.

So, the next 2 months is going to be one big fat learning curve!

What bunnydrops above says rings a bell with me ... DEET insect repellants do worry me but I have used the OFF! and it works fine.

BTW ... I'm not a city boy all my life ... and also not a 'know it all' ... hence asking you fine folk your experiences when you first went to live 'at the farm' ... and the tips and tricks you did to make your life more 'comfortable'.

Thanks again and keep those 'tips and tricks' coming ... wai.gif

Forget the toilet paper David, you will quickly master the art of using a bum gun, they are much cleaner than paper.

Make sure your bed has a mozzie net, and if your a mozzie magnet you may have to apply Deet to your bare parts when your out and about.

The mozzie that transmits dengue fever is active during daylight and he is the one to be wary of.

you think that a bathroom with no flush-down toilet has a bum gun? tongue.png

The Farm does have both a squat and sit down toilet, but not a flush toilet
  • Like 1

The mozzies always move towards warmth so if using a fan ensures that you are in the coolest part of the room, you shouldn't have problems. You may wish to investigate if there is any stagnant water nearby, you can get for free a powder to scatter on this to kill the larvae. I got a bite last night for the first time in months, don't know why the wife turned the fan off.

a slightly higher allocation of household money should do the "fan" trick.

I got the reply overnight, sadly Naam, you are correct ... no bum gun ... sad.png

Edited by David48

We don't have many problems with mozzies where I am, but I buy the citronella based mozzie repellent, all natural and no deet content.

I think most corner shops sell it.

Oh and last night we had no fans on, and we were fighting for the duvet. Bloody tatties here in Phetchabun.

• Like 1

Without the internet isolation will set in...

Luckily, internet, unless there is a storm, won't be a problem ... so that's one saving grace ... smile.png

We arn't married, but I'll use the term Mother-In-Law (MIL)

The MIL and I get on fine ... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

In the past, my lady always made sure there were some Thai Fish Cakes around.

So some spicy is OK ... a lot of spice is a problem ... sick.gif

I do wish to look like I fit in ... but also want to some palatable food.

I got the reply overnight, sadly Naam, you are correct ... no bum gun ... sad.png

Pouring dippers of water down your bottom from behind DOES require a bit of practice.whistling.gif

a slightly higher allocation of household money should do the "fan" trick.

Fans are an important thing.

I grew up with ceiling fans, but I know the Thais dislike them, have a fear of them falling and injuring them. This actually happened in a restaurant to my gf before I knew her.

I struggle to sleep with the pedestal fan constantly blowing on me.

The wall mounted fan seem a good compromise ... many people use them ?

post-104736-0-84937300-1351833397_thumb.

Good results?

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

• Like 1

Pouring dippers of water down your bottom from behind DOES require a bit of practice.whistling.gif

ozzydom ... just trying to imagine that has me ... cheesy.gif

Without the internet isolation will set in...

Luckily, internet, unless there is a storm, won't be a problem ... so that's one saving grace ... smile.png

We arn't married, but I'll use the term Mother-In-Law (MIL)

The MIL and I get on fine ... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

In the past, my lady always made sure there were some Thai Fish Cakes around.

So some spicy is OK ... a lot of spice is a problem ... sick.gif

I do wish to look like I fit in ... but also want to some palatable food.

Best ever was when I went to Tescos in Chumphae near our place, and bought the ingredients for spaghetti bolognese. They loved it bigtime. Even mil was raving about it! Then served em up panckes! loved em.
  • Like 2

I worry about the sheltered life you have led David - never been camping before? The village is either going to make a man of you or send you screaming back to towntongue.png

Sorry, I'll stop making fun at your expense. You'll probably have to shell out on some ingredients at the market yourself if you are to avoid internal organ soup, fiery bamboo curry, somtam and the like. Perhaps buy them one of those round barbecue tops with holes if they haven't got one. Makes good wholseome barbecued meat and fish and nice healthy vegetable soup in the ring around the edge. They should know how to do it i you buy the gear and some fresh meat. Most Thais are used to falang not liking spicy food so don't be too ashamed to state your preferences.

Under no circumstamces eat somtam with rotten fish ('palaar') or laarp plaa with uncooked fish. Could give you parasites (it did me), followed by liver cancer.

• Like 1

Some you will like, some you will hate. Try it all, you may be surprised at what you will like, but if you don't like it don't be afraid to say so, they certainly won't mind

It's a novelty at first immersing yourself into Isaan food, however it will wear off and you will crave what you are used to. You can get plenty of western food at Tesco/Big C, so stock up for those moments when you will need a fix.

Totster :)

• Like 1

I worry about the sheltered life you have led David - never been camping before? The village is either going to make a man of you or send you screaming back to towntongue.png

Sorry, I'll stop making fun at your expense. You'll probably have to shell out on some ingredients at the market yourself if you are to avoid internal organ soup, fiery bamboo curry, somtam and the like. Perhaps buy them one of those round barbecue tops with holes if they haven't got one. Makes good wholseome barbecued meat and fish and nice healthy vegetable soup in the ring around the edge. They should know how to do it i you buy the gear and some fresh meat. Most Thais are used to falang not liking spicy food so don't be too ashamed to state your preferences.

Under no circumstamces eat somtam with rotten fish ('palaar') or laarp plaa with uncooked fish. Could give you parasites (it did me), followed by liver cancer.

Plah rah is not rotten fish, it's fermented fish.

My MiL makes it every year, and unlike the stuff you get in the market it does not smell bad (different, yes..but not bad). This is because she prepares it clean and the jar is well sealed so 'things' can't get in.

I have been eating it for years, with no problems

Totster:)

Edited by Totster

... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

... but also want to some palatable food.

Best ever was when I went to Tescos in Chumphae near our place, and bought the ingredients for spaghetti bolognese. They loved it bigtime. Even mil was raving about it! Then served em up panckes! loved em.

When you have a second krisb, if you had a simple plan for that spaghetti bolognese ... licklips.gif

I can cook a bit ... no Honey ... despite the rumour you spread ... I don't burn water ... dry.png

Also I know that you have to modify all recipes for locally available ingredients and local tastes.

So feel free to post it here ... together with instructions on how to cook.

I've read elsewhere that Thais love it ...

Anyone else with recipe ideas (for spag bol or anything else) ... you are welcome ... welcomeani.gif

• Like 1

When you have a second krisb, if you had a simple plan for that spaghetti bolognese ... licklips.gif

I can cook a bit ... no Honey ... despite the rumour you spread ... I don't burn water ... dry.png

Also I know that you have to modify all recipes for locally available ingredients and local tastes.

Anyone else with recipe ideas (for spag bol or anything else) ... you are welcome ... welcomeani.gif

You can get jars/tins of sauce in the supermarkets, I like to add some chopped veg sometimes. The sauces are sometimes a bit sweeter than we are normally used to, but it will be fine for the Thai palette. I quite like the Prego mushroom sauce.

Totster :)

• Like 2

You can get jars/tins of sauce in the supermarkets, I like to add some chopped veg sometimes. The sauces are sometimes a bit sweeter than we are normally used to, but it will be fine for the Thai palette. I quite like the Prego mushroom sauce.

Totster smile.png

If you find the sauces too sweet then just add a teaspoon of vinegar.

• Like 1

Really!...tell us how did it end up giving you liver cancer?..interesting.