How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK... spraying rice fields with deadly poison without protection, eating raw fish and getting bile duct cancer, riding motor bikes wrong way without a helmet... come on guys, you are scaring the Op away. let him do it, he will regret not doing it for the rest of his life. If the worst happens he will, hopefully, learn something about human nature and not only about Thailand.

I just felt like coming back with that.

Speaking of squatting ... I watched many a Thai person squat in what seems a comfortable position and they are able to put both the balls of their feet and their heels flat on the ground.

post-104736-0-85381500-1351939379_thumb.

squatting ... no way can I do that!

I still play squash on a regular basis, so reasonably fit ... but no way am I that flexible ... can you huh.png ?

Edited by David48

Interestingly i wanted to speak out on this but i got distracted.

I am not a person who can apply for the chinese flexible performance circus act. But..

I tried to sit down on the ground playing cards or whatever mimmicking the same position similar to squatting, just like that. I see the Thai do it so easily so i asked myself why couldn' t I. For months i struggled and experimented getting into the right position and i discovered i could do it.

I found that sitting down in a relaxed way and instead of forcefully try to get into that position works out!

For me the trick is just to get down and try to let your armpits rest into your knees. Also think about your thigh muscles and feet to be relaxed at the same time.

Do this repeatedly and your body will get adjusted. Just a tip from me fellows.wai.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Interestingly i wanted to speak out on this but i got distracted.

I am not a person who can apply for the chinese flexible performance circus act. But..

I tried to sit down on the ground playing cards or whatever mimmicking the same position similar to squatting, just like that. I see the Thai do it so easily so i asked myself why couldn' t I. For months i struggled and experimented getting into the right position and i discovered i could do it.

I found that sitting down in a relaxed way and instead of forcefully try to get into that position works out!

For me the trick is just to get down and try to let your armpits rest into your knees. Also think about your thigh muscles and feet to be relaxed at the same time.

Do this repeatedly and your body will get adjusted. Just a tip from me fellows.wai.gif

I'm with David on this one....can't squat comfortably at all....

... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

... but also want to some palatable food.

Best ever was when I went to Tescos in Chumphae near our place, and bought the ingredients for spaghetti bolognese. They loved it bigtime. Even mil was raving about it! Then served em up panckes! loved em.

When you have a second krisb, if you had a simple plan for that spaghetti bolognese ... licklips.gif

I can cook a bit ... no Honey ... despite the rumour you spread ... I don't burn water ... dry.png

Also I know that you have to modify all recipes for locally available ingredients and local tastes.

So feel free to post it here ... together with instructions on how to cook.

I've read elsewhere that Thais love it ...

Anyone else with recipe ideas (for spag bol or anything else) ... you are welcome ... welcomeani.gif

Try frying an egg adding these ingredients. Cha am if i recall correctly. Chop it small and get 4-5 eggs ready in a bowl add cha am small garlic and fish sauce of course. Use a fork(not a spoon) to stir everything in the bowl whilst heating the oil at the same time in a big frying pan. Chili and garlic in the oil first when it' s hot. Stirr and play with it.. Then add your cha am bowl and immediately put on a lit. Wait for 2 minutes for the smell to come shake the pan. Make sure it doesn't get burnt underneath!! When the egg i cooked fold it 50% and let it simmer for awhile while the fire is turned off...

Ps notice the bowl i was talking about on pic 2 with the fork.

And yes, i put a lot of cha am in there and it smells like sh....t but it tastes like heaven.

post-70928-0-43387700-1351940285_thumb.j

post-70928-0-81262900-1351940722_thumb.j

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

One of my ex's kids, a boy not a bar girl in training

Why even say shit like that ??

totster bah.gif

He said that because thats exactly what most Thai parents from the villages want their daughters to do. Go get a farang boyfriend. They see other families with a daughter working the bars and maybe a new truck appears or perhaps some new things for the house. They become jealous so not only condone but encourage their daughters to becomes prostitutes That's a fact , not some twisted dig at the people , it's just they way things are. It doesn't bother me one bit but it does highlight the levels they'll stoop to get the farangs wonga. You guys who've been there a long time will have seen this for yourself. When a girl comes back home from BKK or wherever she works nobody bats an eyelid shes been dropping her knickers for anybody with 1000 baht. They all know what she does. If she comes with a regular guy the questions will be the same. How much gold has he bought , how much money does he give every month. etc etc. It's all about money and nothing else. Please don't tell me it's about love ...

I suggest someone wants to talk about this in the Farang just discovering Thailand- section.

Farang just discovering Thailand. cheesy.gif I've lived here 10 years and i speak the truth. Lots of people don't like it and tend to give sarcastic remarks but who cares. You know it's all about money for the vast majority of farangs with a Thai darling. Just some folk seem to have a romantic notion it's something else.

• Like 2

David.....I kinda feel that you're just having a "wind-up " here ! How come you're persistently reluctant to name the place you're going to ? All you're prepared to disclose is that it's "not in Issarn " .....but is a remote farm .....not even a village ?

If you're not having a laugh ,then maybe you're girlfriend has'nt even told you where you'll be going ? 555 !

Speaking of squatting ... I watched many a Thai person squat in what seems a comfortable position and they are able to put both the balls of their feet and their heels flat on the ground.

I still play squash on a regular basis, so reasonably fit ... but no way am I that flexible ... can you huh.png ?

This picture you showed is not squatting, The position this asian man is eating his noodles is unbearable for more then a few minutes.

This is squatting, notice the armpit knee combination. This way one can actually sit comfortably, After some practise, still.... ;-)

post-70928-0-22364900-1351944199.jpg

David.....I kinda feel that you're just having a "wind-up " here ! How come you're persistently reluctant to name the place you're going to ? All you're prepared to disclose is that it's "not in Issarn " .....but is a remote farm .....not even a village ?

If you're not having a laugh ,then maybe you're girlfriend has'nt even told you where you'll be going ? 555 !

Exactly why i wouldn' t disclose my precise wherabouts. Because of scary posts like these......ermm.gif

^^ Dancealot (post #100) ... a much better representation of what I was trying to represent.

@ manclub ... no "wind - up" at all.

Many know me very well here ... it's not my nature to be a piss taker.

As for the Farm ... I am been there many times, so there is no confusion.

Edited by David48

Well David this post has come a long way since its beginnings. The only thing I can add is to pitch in with the work even it it seems to make no sense (or very inefficient). be prepared to be laughed at, and laugh along with them. Be animated. Don't hide yourself away in your room (if you get onetongue.png ). Try the food even if it looks awful (so much pasty brown) (I actually find nothing looks good to me in western markets anymore, I think due to everything being so fresh) but don't be afraid say "I think I will pass on that". And relax, My blood pressure went from 145/90 to 124/70 in 6 monthsthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

^^ the inventiveness of human ingenuity to overcome problems never ceases to amaze me ... clap2.gif

EDIT ...

Not that it equals the above ... but this is what passes for an inline bearing at the Farm ...

post-104736-0-91172100-1351994476_thumb.

It's a rotating shaft that works in a fashion not unlike a prop shaft on a car.

Edited by David48

If you find the sauces too sweet then just add a teaspoon of vinegar.

Yes!

I don't cook Thai much, but all of those sauces are based on "sweet and sour." Some vinegar and some sweetener. Ketchup, BBQ, spaghetti, pizza, all of those types. At home I always tweak my BBQ and spaghetti and similar sauces to my taste.

If you lived in Isaan I would advise you to keep away from 'Cow shit sauce' Means exactly what it says, very tasty (I got conned into trying it).

Most people (even many Thais) don't believe that this exists.

I don't doubt that it's "tasty." It probably tastes like shit. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If you lived in Isaan I would advise you to keep away from 'Cow shit sauce' Means exactly what it says, very tasty (I got conned into trying it).

Yep, be careful. A favorite here is intestines (not mine) with the crap still inside, fried of course. bah.gif ...............................biggrin.png

Yep, be careful. A favorite here is intestines (not mine) with the crap still inside, fried of course. bah.gif ...............................biggrin.png

Surely transam you're not serious.

Heck ... I still pick the poo vein out of the backbone of the Prawn/Shrimp before comsuming ... w00t.gif

To puchooay who posted that idea with the traffic cone for the sitting squat toilet ...

post-104736-0-05138700-1352004107_thumb.

I sent the photo to my gf to see if she can arrange it for me.!

Joking, of course ... but I'm sure she'll get a laugh and many of us did here ... thumbsup.gif

Oh ... aussiedom ... I even found your idea illustrated ... post-104736-0-33716200-1352004088_thumb.

Heck ... I still pick the poo vein out of the backbone of the Prawn/Shrimp before comsuming ... w00t.gif

To puchooay who posted that idea with the traffic cone for the sitting squat toilet ...

Joking, of course ... but I'm sure she'll get a laugh and many of us did here ... thumbsup.gif

Oh ... aussiedom ... I even found your idea illustrated ... post-104736-0-33716200-1352004088_thumb.

No joke smile.png , but it is crispy on it's own. laugh.png

Rule of thumb is ask what it ''is'' that is put in front of you thumbsup.gif ..................smile.png

No joke smile.png , but it is crispy on it's own. laugh.png

Rule of thumb is ask what it ''is'' that is put in front of you thumbsup.gif ..................smile.png

Hey, thats my Patent. w00t.gif

Ask what 'it is?' You must be joking. When they sell you poison that has been banned in Europe for 20 years, don't bother asking them 'what is it?'. They get nervous and tell you it works very good, but can't tell you a dosage or sell a measuring instrument. 'Just use little, very good'.

I never saw a Thai spraying with protective mask yet, let alone clothing.Strewth, am I ranting now?

Exactly why i wouldn' t disclose my precise wherabouts. Because of scary posts like these......ermm.gif

Yes it was rather a silly post.

I've seen David's gf's farm....a beautiful place!

Apologies for scaring you sensitive chaps with my rather provocative post ! To me it still seems "silly " to ask for advice when you and your friends have ,as you say ,already been there many times , No-one has asked for the precise location ....a general area would be a help , given the diversity of the country . Even stating what type of farm might actually assist in solicitating some more helpful comments , which is ,as I stand corrected, the purpose of the thread ?

This picture you showed is not squatting, The position this asian man is eating his noodles is unbearable for more then a few minutes.

This is squatting, notice the armpit knee combination. This way one can actually sit comfortably, After some practise, still.... ;-)

Interesting. Ill give that a go

Interesting. Ill give that a go

Yes! Good man

Yes it was rather a silly post.

I've seen David's gf's farm....a beautiful place!

Apologies for scaring you sensitive chaps with my rather provocative post ! To me it still seems "silly " to ask for advice when you and your friends have ,as you say ,already been there many times , No-one has asked for the precise location ....a general area would be a help , given the diversity of the country . Even stating what type of farm might actually assist in solicitating some more helpful comments , which is ,as I stand corrected, the purpose of the thread ?

Thanks for replying. Sorry to maybe have offended you then, also. The specific area i was talking about(my favourite room in the house), that' s pretty specific.. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot

Can you caste your mind back to when you first stayed for an extended periods with someone or set up your kitchen ... do you remember the first or first couple of things that you bought that you had to have?

I'm thinking electric water kettle, toaster, flat saucepan etc.

When my lady went back this time, she took with her a pair of salt and pepper grinders (just those all in one cheap ones you buy in the Supermarket) as they didn't have anything like that there and she grew quite fond of Avocado on toast with a little SnP.

post-104736-0-81859700-1352014403_thumb.

This is the kitchen set up

All gas kitchen, woks for cooking.

So ... do you remember the first or first couple of things that you bought that you had to have?