How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

I worry about the sheltered life you have led David - never been camping before? The village is either going to make a man of you or send you screaming back to towntongue.png

Sorry, I'll stop making fun at your expense. You'll probably have to shell out on some ingredients at the market yourself if you are to avoid internal organ soup, fiery bamboo curry, somtam and the like. Perhaps buy them one of those round barbecue tops with holes if they haven't got one. Makes good wholseome barbecued meat and fish and nice healthy vegetable soup in the ring around the edge. They should know how to do it i you buy the gear and some fresh meat. Most Thais are used to falang not liking spicy food so don't be too ashamed to state your preferences.

Under no circumstamces eat somtam with rotten fish ('palaar') or laarp plaa with uncooked fish. Could give you parasites (it did me), followed by liver cancer.

Really!...tell us how did it end up giving you liver cancer?..interesting.

Krisb; The following article should enlighten you: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/world/asia/26iht-thailand.html?_r=0

The raw fish that is so avidly consumed in the stilt houses that sit among rice paddies and wetlands of the country’s northern provinces contain parasites that can accumulate in the liver and lead to a deadly cancer. Known as bile duct cancer, it is relatively uncommon in most parts of the world but represents the majority of the 70 liver cancer deaths a day in Thailand, according to Dr. Banchob Sripa, the head of the tropical disease research laboratory at nearby Khon Kaen University.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Problem solved (for me anyway) ... I have no intention, zip, zero zilch of eating raw fish ... so the problem is solved ... biggrin.png

ditto ... chicken feet

ditto ... locust (even though I heard them once described as the shrimp of the air) ... blink.png

I believe he is referring to Liver Flukes.

My suggestion is to stop eating all Thai food especially in the villages and any restaurants. Only eat what you personally cook then you will be sure you won't get any nasties.

By the way, I picked up 2 different parasites and salmonella after eating chicken at a resort in Samet.

With regards to Plah Rah, I have seen people boil it before use, I would assume to protect against Liver Flukes. My point is they are aware of these and take precautions, they don't just eat it regardless.

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster
  • Like 1

Easy David, found everything in Tescos. Just substituted mince beef with mince chicken. It amazed the MIL and all her friends.

Got pancake mix in Tesco the 1 in the bottle you just add water and shake.

Another 1 they loved was real scrambled eggs on toast. You know when you put a lil milk in and beat the eggs then scrape the pan(wok) as it cooks then serve on toast.

If breads to hard to find then as an Aussie you know how to make damper Im sure.

If your no where near a good supermarket then Id advise finding 1 befor you head off to the village and stock up on things that are easy enough to cook like spag bog.

• Like 1

Just read through the comments. Good God , why would anybody want to live like that. It beggers belief but i guess much younger fluff as a partner has lots to do with it. My advise , go take a look for a few weeks. It'll be an experience you'll never forget. Then high tail it to somewhere resembling normality..

Just read through the comments. Good God , why would anybody want to live like that. It beggers belief but i guess much younger fluff as a partner has lots to do with it. My advise , go take a look for a few weeks. It'll be an experience you'll never forget. Then high tail it to somewhere resembling normality..

Nice friendly comment.

On second thoughts, it is a thoroughly unpleasant and unnecessary remark.

Maybe he plans on improving things like I did when i moved here, the house has doubled in size, now has a ceiling and a usable bathroom. I enjoyed getting this done / doing it myself and supervising. More improvement on the way. I hope the Op will do this too.

By the way my 'fluff' is 9 years younger than me, I am 64.

• Like 1

Great all these tips.

As for my lady and I ... well we've been together for more then 2 years.

The place where she lives is with Mum, Dad, 2 sisters, her 4 nieces and nephew and dotted with Aunts and Uncles owning the surrounding Farms.

There is no 'Village' to speak of (sadly).

The walk to the nearest road is about 15 mins.

I've slept there a few times before ... but there's a huge difference between being an overnight guest to being there day in - day out for a few months.

Great all these tips.

As for my lady and I ... well we've been together for more then 2 years.

The place where she lives is with Mum, Dad, 2 sisters, her 4 nieces and nephew and dotted with Aunts and Uncles owning the surrounding Farms.

There is no 'Village' to speak of (sadly).

The walk to the nearest road is about 15 mins.

I've slept there a few times before ... but there's a huge difference between being an overnight guest to being there day in - day out for a few months.

Well, sounds lovely

You do many things to make life more comfortable, installing pump and shower (toilet and bum gun), microwave etc will all help. Even if you don't decide to stay these things will stay there for when you visit.

If you are anywhere near Kalasin and need some help drinking your beer let me know.. it's nice to talk in proper English after a few weeks of isolation.

totster :)

• Like 1

... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

... but also want to some palatable food.

Best ever was when I went to Tescos in Chumphae near our place, and bought the ingredients for spaghetti bolognese. They loved it bigtime. Even mil was raving about it! Then served em up panckes! loved em.

When you have a second krisb, if you had a simple plan for that spaghetti bolognese ... licklips.gif

I can cook a bit ... no Honey ... despite the rumour you spread ... I don't burn water ... dry.png

Also I know that you have to modify all recipes for locally available ingredients and local tastes.

So feel free to post it here ... together with instructions on how to cook.

I've read elsewhere that Thais love it ...

Anyone else with recipe ideas (for spag bol or anything else) ... you are welcome ... welcomeani.gif

Spag Bol with extra chillie ? :)

David, go to the camp store where you purched the solar water heater, ( have used them many times at Inskip Pt etc and they work well just dont let the bloody thing get to hot) Wollies or most shops for that matter and bring some BUSHMAN plus with you, by far the best inscect repellant on the market as far as i am concerned as it is the only thing that will keep the sandflies away from me............

Edited by briboy

Think of it as a camping trip. Only commit to staying two days. If there is a 'resort' with a/c in the area, explain your need to stay there for health reasons. Tell your gal how much you want to take her shopping in the city. Start drinking Lao Kao, urinating in the bushes and talking to others at the same time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

Hope you get on well with kids .....'cos once the gf has got wrapped up in her own stuff and everyone else has worked out that they can't converse with you ,so they'll act like you don't exist , then you'll end up being the children's entertainer ...which can be fun ,but soon becomes a bit tiresome ! Otherwise , you'll find you'll be locking yourself away with your computer , (which negates the reasons for being there ) !

Seriously, it can be loads of fun ,but expect to get stared at alot and get frustrated because you sometimes don't feel appreciated ! Hardest thing is filling the days without feeling like you're being used as a communal taxi driver or cash dispenser !

You may also like to take a shotgun with you .....for all those howling dogs and merciless roosters !

2 weeks is about my limit ...(I don't drink much ,you see )....

• Like 2

Depending on the level of dwelling you're staying in, don't be surprised to find mouse turds in bed, giant lizards on the ceiling, gecko turds dropping on the table, having to wear your clothes to bed in winter...and hope you like getting up early because the poo yai will be saying 'good morning' bright and early. Quite lovely when nursing a hangover...

Depending on the level of dwelling you're staying in, don't be surprised to find mouse turds in bed, giant lizards on the ceiling, gecko turds dropping on the table, having to wear your clothes to bed in winter...and hope you like getting up early because the poo yai will be saying 'good morning' bright and early. Quite lovely when nursing a hangover...

I agree with all the above apart from the mouse droppings in the bed. I reckon as long as you are not a slob (like the above poster it seems) there will be no mice near the bed.

I agree with all the above apart from the mouse droppings in the bed. I reckon as long as you are not a slob (like the above poster it seems) there will be no mice near the bed.

Sorry totster. Not a slob. Never eat in bed. Might have something to do with the classic Thai style wood frame construction. No insulation. Air ventilated. What's with the personal attack? Never encountered mice on the farm? I hear the large ones are tasty with. Lao Kao.

totster smile.png

Sorry totster. Not a slob. Never eat in bed. Might have something to do with the classic Thai style wood frame construction. No insulation. Air ventilated. What's with the personal attack? Never encountered mice on the farm? I hear the large ones are tasty with. Lao Kao.

Apologies farangme, I think I was a bit harsh in my defence. The large ones are rats, which although tasty are a bit 'gamey' for my taste, even with Lao Kao...

Totster :)

Honestly ,the whole experience depends on just how remote the "village" is ! Some of my friends consider 10 mins outside of Udon and farang friendly bars ,as such !, Another lives, quite contentedly, near the Khymer border ...where the buffalo fear to tread !

Village life is not for everyone as the previous two posters have clearly shown.

I urge you not to listen to them but form your own opinion, there are many of us who live here without the need to call it camping or possess shotguns...

Yes, a certain amount of integration is required, but the pluses certainly outweigh the minuses IMHO (my bolding)

totster smile.png

So many good replies above and while I can't answer each one individually, this one particularly struck a cord ... "Yes, a certain amount of integration is required, but the pluses certainly outweigh the minuses IMHO"

I very much want to learn more about each and every one of them.

Over the two years since my girl and I have dated I've been to Thailand more then 10 times, staying usually 1 or 2 months at a time ... but usually on the outskirts of a big city in a basic 1 bedroom apartment with a flush toilet, a warm shower and air-con.

I could do that again but this time is a little different.

This year my gf chucked in her 9-5 office job. Where we used to stay was on route for one of her fellow workers to pick her up and drop her off.

This time we are together 24/7 and we both will have SFA to do if we just do like we did the previous times ... hence the plan to live at the Farm.

totster smile.png

Apologies farangme, I think I was a bit harsh in my defence. The large ones are rats, which although tasty are a bit 'gamey' for my taste, even with Lao Kao...

Totster smile.png

Easy on there boys ... but I agree with a lot of what is said.

We have geckos where I live, but only the small style and I'm used to them being in the house.

Actually I like them because they seem to reduce the spider and cockroach population a lot.

That said, I have seen the big lizard like blueish green geckos once and the gf is sh*ht scared of them.

Never have seen mice or rats at the Farm ... but to quote David Bowie ... I saw 'rats the size of cats' foraging amongst the black plastic bags in Bangkok.

Edited by David48

I have bought a Solar Shower.

post-104736-0-01983200-1351723327_thumb.

Tried it at home with mixed results ... but beats the saucepan of cold water down your back ... thumbsup.gif

No electricity in the house you stay? No running water to? 4.500 Baht and you have a nice warm water heaterwink.png

The flushing toilet is not the problem, but the missing seat above the toilet hole could be. Buy a cheap plastic chair cut a hole in it,

just big enough, so the chair stays stable but everything else can fall threw and ok. tongue.png

Cooking, you have a refrigerator?

Borrow a car sometimes, drive to the next LOTUS or BIG C, 7/11 shops and buy some Falang food, can noodles ect.

7/11 shops have now a bigger variety of meals you need only to Microwave from freezing to Hot dogs, Hamburgers ect, check it out.

You can eat Thai food Isaan food but if you like it differently shop same I wrote above to be secure.

A cheap Microwave costs about 2.500 Baht, maybe less.

That and the water heater, if you have enough-a bit water pressure for the heater, you should invest also for only 2 month.

Where is your new home? Approximately.

Edited by ALFREDO

David, I don't think you have told us where you will be. I am thinking that after a week or so, you are going to need some English speaking companionship to rescue you for a beer and a good western meal smile.png

Good advice to a newbie.

Agreeing with you about the English conversation ... funny but you actually crave it after a while.

My lady speaks conversational English ... but you have to dumb down the grammar (while she's learning) remove all the swear/street words, the puns and innuendos.

Think of it as a camping trip. Only commit to staying two days. If there is a 'resort' with a/c in the area, explain your need to stay there for health reasons. Tell your gal how much you want to take her shopping in the city. Start drinking Lao Kao, urinating in the bushes and talking to others at the same time.

Good advice to a newbie.

I've always likened relatives staying to dead fish ... after 3 days they begin to smell ... laugh.png

2 days ... surely I'm made of tougher stuff then that ... I think ... unsure.png

As for Lao Kao ... I've never had it.

Is it a whisky?

How bad is it?

What does it taste like?

... or is it just basically gut rot?

No electricity in the house you stay? No running water to? 4.500 Baht and you have a nice warm water heaterwink.png

Yeh, it has elec, so no problems there ... thumbsup.gif

As for the water heater ... couple of things.

I read the Housing Forum quite a bit and the Farm only has the low pressure town water and it appears not strong enough to make the electric hot water system to work.

Sure ... I could install a boosting pump ...BUT.

BUT ... I don't want to be the foreigner, coming to their home and implying that how they have lived over the past few decades is sh*it (even if it is).

I want to earn their respect buy toughing it out with them ... with some home comforts that I enjoy ... whistling.gif

endure ... I don't own a kindle, but have a computer ... so enough.

Edited by David48

Ok, I have a water tower, some meters high, 6? 8? about same or less than the usual water tower of the village would be.

Anyway, the water pressure in that way is strong enough, you can check that pressure out yourself-look in Internet how.tongue.png

The reason why most houses have no warm water is first the sometimes not fitting water pressure, but more, the money to pay for such a heater and the electricy every day he uses up.

People had (have) no money. Microwave is anyway something from star wars!

If the water pressure is enough make such a purchase, at least the people start to get really clean! thumbsup.gif

So, where you will be in the jungle? What province, next big(ger) town, next Lotus?