How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

For the automatic version you need a metre of garden hose. Stuff that up the old clacker and the other end into the boot and your carefree

I ran this soloution past the gf ... she thought about it for a while and said something along the lines of ... while that is a soloution for most Farang, it would'nt work for me.

... then muttered someting in Thai.

It was a bad connection but sounded like the words ... key-knee-ow ... blink.png

• Like 2

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry about if you can't eat what the family eat Dave,there are plenty of very good meals that can be made without going to the 7-11.Plenty of fresh vegetables,fish, meat and eggs.I am sure that your little lady will make you meal fit for a king.

One subject that I don't think has been covered so far in this thread is the drinking water.You say that you are well off the beaten track,so i am presuming that the water comes from a bore hole or maybe even stored rain water.be careful with your stomach,maybe not such a bad idea to stock up on plenty of bottled water....just a thought.

Shaggy

The veg , fish and eggs yes. The meat Mmmm. The village i stayed in had a truck come once a week selling beef. A husband and wife team. He cut the meat but had no idea about which part was which. His wife sat in the back wafting a paper fan at the million flies having a party and shitting all over it. At the same time she was gobbing big brown uns over the side of the truck. Absolutely disgusting but nobody seemed to care a jot. Certainly chummy boy me wasn't going to tackle any of that muck. I used to drive 60kms to Big C in Buriram for any meat ( beef ) and even then the quality is crap.In fact it's probably the same scenario in Big Cs prep area but at least you don't see it. I find virtually all Thai steak is tougher than chewing a flip flop. It's only edible after 4-5 hours in the slow cooker. For good steak i tend to buy the Australian stuff in Macro or Villamart Pattaya. It's expensive but very nice.

Up here 65km south west of Khampaeng Phet we have 2 x 3,000 stainless steel storage tanks for fresh water only.

They get filled up from the sloping roof in the rainy season but not before about 4 or 5 days of heavy rain and we use 2 litre milk bottle to carry it indoors for use in drinking and tea/coffee etc. We also have a water cooler with a 20 litre bootle and use that also.

So far in the 8 years we have been here I have had no stomach upsets from the water.

The normal government water supply is stored in 20 ongs and is used for showers, laundry, toilets etc and mostly lasts us the month when there is no water. There are normally 5 of us living here but if the family come up from BKK that is maybe another 6 using the water and 11 people use a lot of water.

Just wondering if anyone on here ever eats; steak and kidney pie, liver and bacon casserole, brawn, stuffed lambs hearts, black pudding or haggis?

My great parents (Fathers side) were Scottish ... but ... sick.gif

Interesting the Scots Lads I talk with speak fondly of their haggis pizza ... but I think a wee pull of the leg with that culinary delight ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone on here ever eats; steak and kidney pie, liver and bacon casserole, brawn, stuffed lambs hearts, black pudding or haggis?

Interesting the Scots Lads I talk with speak fondly of their haggis pizza ... but I think a wee pull of the leg with that culinary delight ... whistling.gif

A bag of fried grasshoppers......tasty! smile.png

Dave, I'm a day behind you. but I'm only going for a week, eating, drinking, shitting and pissing it's all part of village life, I'll let you all know how I survive. As a mate of mine always says "she'll be right mate".

They are from a country that invented mutton pies, deep fried haggis and deep fried Mars bars. bah.gifbah.gif

I don't think they were pulling your leg.

I make my own steak n kidney pies , very nice indeed. Liver n bacon casserole i do a big potful and freeze it into individual portions. Don't see much lamb but bought a frozen New Zealand leg yesterday from Macro. Brawn , no thanks. Haggis i have one in the freezer but not tried it yet. There's a Thai woman in Pattaya who makes currys just like a UK curry house. I get her to make me just the sauces in kilo bags and put my own prawn or meat in. She also makes bags of pukka pilau rice and chippaties. I also cure my own hams and make my own salt beef which are far better than anything you can buy. I'm going to do a full leg for a Xmas ham and a big joint of bottom round for the salt beef. My mouths watering thinking about it but the cod , home made chips and mushy peas for tonight will suffice.

Edited by nanapong

I make my own steak n kidney pies , very nice indeed. Liver n bacon casserole i do a big potful and freeze it into individual portions. Don't see much lamb but bought a frozen New Zealand leg yesterday from Macro. Brawn , no thanks. Haggis i have one in the freezer but not tried it yet. There's a Thai woman in Pattaya who makes currys just like a UK curry house. I get her to make me just the sauces in kilo bags and put my own prawn or meat in. She also makes bags of pukka pilau rice and chippaties. I also cure my own hams and make my own salt beef which are far better than anything you can buy. I'm going to do a full leg for a Xmas ham and a big joint of bottom round for the salt beef. My mouths watering thinking about it but the cod , home made chips and mushy peas for tonight will suffice.

Ever get the feeling that you're staying in the wrong country?

• Like 2

No , i'm not here for the food or the temples. I don't like crappy spicy Thai food so i make some good stuff. Strangely enough there's always plenty of farangs trying to get their hands on my home made delights.

From shitting to drinking, Shaggy put some power in this wonderful thread.

I speculate SC knows what i am going to talk about because he mentioned the word acclimatization(i had to copy past that)wai.gif. Thanks sport.

When you are there day 1 sip a little bit of stored rainwater. Day 2 drink 1/2 a glass.

Then wait...If you are not shitting fluids and feel ok you can build up the local bacteria tolerance and enjoy more rainwater. This way you also help your bodily immune system to build up (local)bacteria resistance. If your body still is ok then drink more of the local water.

If your body can' t handle the "jungle water" then resort to bottled water. Only then... Because personally i think water companies add too many strange unknown additives to bottled water.

Drink from the well and you know what you ingest.

Most water contains some bacteria, it is a question of how much. I was planning on buying an expensive water filter but now after a few months drinking unfiltered water (plus beer) I have had no ill effects. There was a report recently showing that in some places 50% of filtered water for sale contained unacceptable levels of bacteria. More to worry about is the level of pesticide residues (arsenic for example), heavy metals and so on. You'll see - on my first visit here I drank water that was on the restaurant table and was ill.

I agree but i was talking about rainwater, sorry i didn't mention that.I think it' s a good thing to minimize the unkown additives in your drinking water. In the end every glass of water looks the same so i am very apprehensive about you are never sure what is exactly in there.

David...we are now 10 pages in and some very good ideas have been given to you. What are your thoughts on what you will taking with you and doing whilst there?

With less then 5 days before I fly out ... things have become a little hetic here.

Once things have settled down I will recant in Full.

When I read back though this posts, I noticed that we 'liked' many of the same posts so I invite you for a beer if ever we should meet ... drunk.gif

To everyone (including you) ... keep that advice coming ... biggrin.png

Thanks for the nice Post, the meeting will be difficult as you are, "somewhere" not far from the sea? That are a lot of Kilometres in TH.rolleyes.gif

So, not really a problem,up to you what you write of your Private Life. JC_gimmefive.gif

ALFREDO and I had a wee chat via a PM.

He's a decent bloke and I think we have a mutal understanding.

In case of doubt: Boil the water first.

Come to think of it, BEER is also boiled warer,right? Solution = Only drink beer!

Cheers.

So to be sure boil the beer, refreeze it and down the hatch. Anyone ever tried this?

I tried it. Worked pretty effectively, even if you skipped the first two steps.SC

David...we are now 10 pages in and some very good ideas have been given to you. What are your thoughts on what you will taking with you and doing whilst there?

With less then 5 days before I fly out ... things have become a little hetic here.

Maybe even repent David tongue.png ,wish you all the best on your venture.And looking forward to your ideas and discoveries.

My soloution will be exactly what the suggestion was above ... thumbsup.gif ... try a bit of the Farm's rain water, wait, if good, try a bit more.

In my Chayaphums country home's Ex, I thought also about filtering the water from the house-well, which is drilled deep in the ground,

I realized already before, what a lot of white stain is on the car after its washed and not rinsed. Lime? Or? And?

In a big Filter selling shop in Khon Kaen, I let it test, if its suitable for filtering and drinking.

I got the result and the Manager explained to me, "I will be always, very busy to change in short times the expensive filters!"

So much wrong ingridients are inside that water. So a no, there.

the family drinks their water a truck brings, stored than in the typical concrete cisterns.

In the second, Udon Thani rural home, have a normal Groundwater well in the middle of Village, I would not dare to drink that!

Family drinks water from the local drinking water suppliers 20 L? barrels. (10 Baht a piece)

I drink only bottled water I buy from Tesco, soda, fruit juice and Coke.

Used without problem, everywhere I was on the world, tap water to brush my teeth, clean my mouth,

no problem with that.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I find virtually all Thai steak is tougher than chewing a flip flop. It's only edible after 4-5 hours in the slow cooker. For good steak i tend to buy the Australian stuff in Macro or Villamart Pattaya. It's expensive but very nice.

You are so right!

Difficult to get a good quality Thai beef. And now also not even cheap anymore!

Surprisingly, the Cambodian Beef (steak) meat quality is much better!

I ate many time good beef there.

Villa market in Big city Shopping centers yes, also some decent Thai Steak there, (380.- Baht a kg) Everything else and the Imported stuff, expensive!

MAKRO, yes and some lamb,I like there, sometimes.

7/11 has some good Micro wave cook able deep freezing dishes, 29.- - 35.- Baht and Lotus even Micro wave heat able deep freezed Pizzas.

Up to you what you do, but it has many possibilities.

A young womans mother I got to know, invited me to join in breakfast at the neighbours place, fresh Bar be cued rats from last night.tongue.png

I give it a pass.

As my mother in law of my now GF likes to eat a kind of -frog goulash- that is often on their menue. No, thank you! blink.png

Special treat in the road, when somebody catch a snake or a already rare, big headed turtle! Also normal smaller ones.

Me au!wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I make my own steak n kidney pies , very nice indeed. Liver n bacon casserole i do a big potful and freeze it into individual portions. Don't see much lamb but bought a frozen New Zealand leg yesterday from Macro.There's a Thai woman in Pattaya who makes currys just like a UK curry house. I get her to make me just the sauces in kilo bags and put my own prawn or meat in. She also makes bags of pukka pilau rice and chippaties. I also cure my own hams and make my own salt beef which are far better than anything you can buy. I'm going to do a full leg for a Xmas ham and a big joint of bottom round for the salt beef. My mouths watering thinking about it but the cod , home made chips and mushy peas for tonight will suffice.

-Gweiloman-

I spent 9 times up to three month each with 4 different Thai/Cambodian women in Europe. What do you think,they liked to eat, if they could choose,

Thai-Cambo food or Falang food? rolleyes.gif

The happiest day if you go shopping with them in an ASIAN food shop. smile.png

Why shall we be different? I grew up for many centuries with that eating habit, so change now? Why?

Have I, also to change my religion, believes or change even from an "atheist" to Buddhist, because I am in the wrong country?whistling.gif

Enough already, that I changed to drive on the left here in TH. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

In 22 years, my preparations for Thai trips, come down from several days, to 2-3 hours. tongue.png