Landlord Took Deposit, Looking For A Lawyer

My colleague moved out of his apartment (Indian owned, upper sukhumvit) and the landlord has kept his 63,000 baht deposit because he supposedly scratched the floor and they therefore need to re-varnish the entire floor of the 3 bedroom apartment. He is looking for a lawyer, any suggestions?

As it is a civil case, it can take years, if an attorney will take it for the low money involved, and they will not take the case on contingency. He will have to pay them upfront if they take the case. Did he take good pictures of the damage, before the landlord had a chance to tamper with the floor?

Sunbelt Asia might be able to help, or at the very least steer you in the right direction. I doubt very seriously if an attorney will advise pursuing it unless his intention is just to prove his point.

It might be better if he knows the local policemen, and offers them half the money if they can retrieve the deposit. Most police are prejudice against Indians, and that could be in his favor in getting money back at the least expense.

Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if the lawyer costs a lot more than the deposit. I think koolbreez's advice about asking for help from the police and offering half to them has a better rate of return and success.

Its unlikely the cost would be 63,000 Baht, has he discussed having the remainder returned. Legal fees will be costly and time consuming. Its a shame your friend has had this experience, landlords the world over tend to do this. I have been slated by many on this site for holding the deposit rather than passing to the landlord, this just proves deposits are best held by agents.

Edited by PattayaPhom

About 7 years ago I sued my Thai landlord for a measely B 20,000 depost - same issue (scratched floor). I used a small legal company and he charged me B10,000 in legal fees, including issuing the summons. The whole process was quick - about 4-5 weeks from the first meeting to the court date and I must say, nothing will beat the satisfaction of seeing the Landlord counting out the cash to give me in court after winning the case. Given inflation, your amount is higher than mine was, so its do-able for sure.

Sorry, I dont have the contact info anymore, but as mentioned above, you can start with Siam Legal or there are loads of small law offices to choose from.

Best of luck

smile.png

About 7 years ago I sued my Thai landlord for a measely B 20,000 depost - same issue (scratched floor). I used a small legal company and he charged me B10,000 in legal fees, including issuing the summons. The whole process was quick - about 4-5 weeks from the first meeting to the court date and I must say, nothing will beat the satisfaction of seeing the Landlord counting out the cash to give me in court after winning the case. Given inflation, your amount is higher than mine was, so its do-able for sure.

Sorry, I dont have the contact info anymore, but as mentioned above, you can start with Siam Legal or there are loads of small law offices to choose from.

Best of luck

smile.png

In fact there is a possibility of a significant profit then

The best thing would be to use a lawyer to negotiate out of court. Shouldn't cost much as with some luck, he'll give in after a phone call from the lawyer. I have done that successfully once when my deposit was held back.

PM me if you need a lawyer. The one I use is inexpensive and rather good. Not all Thai lawyers are.

Best of luck

smile.png

?????

About 7 years ago I sued my Thai landlord for a measely B 20,000 depost - same issue (scratched floor). I used a small legal company and he charged me B10,000 in legal fees, including issuing the summons. The whole process was quick - about 4-5 weeks from the first meeting to the court date and I must say, nothing will beat the satisfaction of seeing the Landlord counting out the cash to give me in court after winning the case.

Good result. Were costs awarded also?

Best of luck

smile.png

?????

Well, at present the money will not be returned. 20k for a lawyer and profit will be 43k

• 7 years later...
On 11/1/2012 at 3:38 PM, richardt1808 said:

Best of luck

smile.png

Very interesting indeed, could you try to remember the name of the law office ?