Long stay visa in Thailand

hi gorge

well i read here of so many kinds of visas what are   the differences between long stay\multy entry\nonresidency

as i told you i am 60 years old and i want to live in thailand for a year or tow what is the best option for me,the amount of letter of having in acount 800.000 bhat must be from a thai bank ?thankes

avi :o

• Like 1

you need 800,000 Thai baht in the Thai bank to enable you to apply for a one year stay. What country do you live in ?
My understanding is you need 800k in a bank account period for the first year.  It does not have to be in Thailand until you request extension at the end of your first year on an O-A extended stay visa per my reading of: Retirement Visa

I am a 66yr young Brit and have been following the postings regarding Retirement & Support Visas with interest, as I qualify for both. It seems to me that applying for a Support Visa would be my best bet, but would like to clarify a couple of points if possible.

· Does the 250K have to be a lump sum deposited in a Thailand Bank or is it sufficient to prove that my monthly pension is equal/more than that amount.

· I am still not clear as to what constitutes “an income certificate”. Is the annual advice from the pension provider as to my pension payments for the coming year sufficient?

As for the comparisons between Thai & UK (posted 3 Dec 02), just because the UK is daft enough to let every “Tom, Dick & Harry” into the country to enjoy the benefits of living in a “free health & support” state, it doesn’t mean that the Thai’s have to do the same!

Let’s just be thankful that the Thai authorities give us the opportunity to live here. It seems to me that obtaining visas has eased over the years.

???

Hi avimelamed

From my personal experience:

You do NOT have to have any money in Thailand to get

your Non-Imm "O" visa for retirement.

Normally (but not necessarily) you would apply in your home country - giving details of Income & Assets.

The Non-Imm "O" is valid for 3 months, during which you must arrive in Thailand, and you will be given a 90 day stay from your date of arrival.

During that 90 days you must apply for an extension at Immigration (Soi Suan Phlu in Bangkok) - it is then that you must show that you have the required funds in Thailand

which you can arrange when you arrive.

The Funds must be in Thai Baht in a "Thai Bank" which I understand to mean a Bank in Thailand (a Foreign Bank is OK)

HSBC, UOB, Standard Chartered.

You will be given a 9 months extension (making a total of one year) and before the expiry you can apply for 12 months extension.

After 3 years of continuous stay you can apply for Residency.

Anytime you wish to go outside Thailand you must obtain

a Re-Entry permit (Single Baht 500, Multiple Bht1,000)

which will be valid until the expiry of your Visa Extension.

I hope this helps

Roger

Hi avimelamed

From my personal experience:

You do NOT have to have any money in Thailand to get

your Non-Imm "O" visa for retirement.

Normally (but not necessarily) you would apply in your home country - giving details of Income & Assets.

The Non-Imm "O" is valid for 3 months, during which you must arrive in Thailand, and you will be given a 90 day stay from your date of arrival.

During that 90 days you must apply for an extension at Immigration (Soi Suan Phlu in Bangkok) - it is then that you must show that you have the required funds in Thailand

which you can arrange when you arrive.

The Funds must be in Thai Baht in a "Thai Bank" which I understand to mean a Bank in Thailand (a Foreign Bank is OK)

HSBC, UOB, Standard Chartered.

You will be given a 9 months extension (making a total of one year) and before the expiry you can apply for 12 months extension.

After 3 years of continuous stay you can apply for Residency.

Anytime you wish to go outside Thailand you must obtain

a Re-Entry permit (Single Baht 500, Multiple Bht1,000)

which will be valid until the expiry of your Visa Extension.

I hope this helps

Roger