BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thais Growing Increasingly Fond Of Sugar

For non-diabetics, fresh fruit is a good safe food. Fruit juice unsweetened is not as good if the roughage is discarded. But get real, most fruit juice consumed in Thailand and most countries is SUGAR water!

• Like 1

I cut out most sugars and eat healthy. When i first came to Thailand i believed the myth that Thai food was more healthy then Western food. It is not both have their good and bad but the average street food has too little veggies and too much sugar and oils. If you cook Thai food yourself you can make it healthy. Same goes for Western food (not counting the fast food but then again Thai food has a lot of fried food too).

Result for me believing Thai food was healthy was gaining weight and working out hard without weight loss. Once i took control of my food and shaved my exercise routine a bit results started to take place. It went even further when i cut out alcohol. I think im now fitter as i was in my teens. I am lifting more even.

• Like 2

I saw a fat Thai boy sitting at "Cupcake Love" (highly recommended) screaming for his cupcakes. He ate the icing on the top in a matter of seconds and left half of the cake in a crumpled mess on the table and hoofed it outa there. I then I saw him and his family 30 mins later in Dunkin Donuts. Sugar rush!!

For non-diabetics, fresh fruit is a good safe food. Fruit juice unsweetened is not as good if the roughage is discarded. But get real, most fruit juice consumed in Thailand and most countries is SUGAR water!

Problem with a lot of fruit is that it has been bred to be supersweet (ie pineapple). Better to stick to semi sweet fruit like papayas, or berries.

• Like 2

I bought some "lite mayonnaise" the other day, expecting it to be sugar free. It was disgustingly sweet and when the GF showed me the 30% sugar content in Thai I was astounded. How can they label something as "lite" with such a sugar content?

The mayo was given to the neighbours and replaced with Heinz.

• Like 1

I think this article deliberatly misleads. Yes carbonated drinks are one of the culprits but most of the international brands have a zero or low sugar alternative. Within the Thai culture sugar is added to nearly everything, localy prepared fruit drinks and food is loaded with sugar.

These so called academics should look at the overall food culture in Thailand . I think baning carbonated drinks at schools is simply myopic as it appears to disregard the overall problem. Thai food culture has a very sweet tooth and sugar loaded soda's are meerly the tip of the iceberg

It has to be back to parental responsibility. My 5 year old has never tasted, coke, fanta or the likes. She loves fresh juice or water or milk.

It is sad here when you ask for a fresh orange juice it will come poisoned with sugar and salt <deleted>! why not just orange juice? If you ask for it without, you get it. The OP makes horrific reading if the amounts are correct and lots and lots of refined white sugar is a sure fire way of getting type 2 diabetes.

• Like 1

I think this article deliberatly misleads. Yes carbonated drinks are one of the culprits but most of the international brands have a zero or low sugar alternative. Within the Thai culture sugar is added to nearly everything, localy prepared fruit drinks and food is loaded with sugar.

These so called academics should look at the overall food culture in Thailand . I think baning carbonated drinks at schools is simply myopic as it appears to disregard the overall problem. Thai food culture has a very sweet tooth and sugar loaded soda's are meerly the tip of the iceberg

Be warned, those low and zero sugar alternatives contain stuff far worse for you than sugar. If you want a coke on a hot day, just accept it and have a fatboy coke, just dont drink 10 a day. The zero sugar alternatives are very bad indeed.

• Like 1

I bought some "lite mayonnaise" the other day, expecting it to be sugar free. It was disgustingly sweet and when the GF showed me the 30% sugar content in Thai I was astounded. How can they label something as "lite" with such a sugar content?

The mayo was given to the neighbours and replaced with Heinz.

Lite mayo replaces fat with sugar and other carbs. Nasty! Make your own, I do, it's delicious and simple!

Be warned, those low and zero sugar alternatives contain stuff far worse for you than sugar. If you want a coke on a hot day, just accept it and have a fatboy coke, just dont drink 10 a day. The zero sugar alternatives are very bad indeed.

Get those Chang sodas with bitter lemon essence. Really good, and if you don't like it so bubbly add about a third water to it. Great thirst quencher.

• Like 1

Get those Chang sodas with bitter lemon essence. Really good, and if you don't like it so bubbly add about a third water to it. Great thirst quencher.

That's made me thirsty already ;)

I am always amazed at the things they put sugar on here. I bought some fresh popped popcorn and thought they were going a little heavy on the salt until I realized they were loading it with sugar. That's just not right.

Not sure what Thailand can do to make this better. It's such a live for the moment culture, isn't it? It's not only Thailand try telling an American southerner to cut down the sugar in his SWEET TEA.

Thailand is a food culture to the point of obsession. They will change there ways when the Choapraya freezes over.

Closely followed by a money culture to the point of obsession.

• Like 2