Thais Growing Increasingly Fond Of Sugar

webfact

I think this article deliberatly misleads. Yes carbonated drinks are one of the culprits but most of the international brands have a zero or low sugar alternative. Within the Thai culture sugar is added to nearly everything, localy prepared fruit drinks and food is loaded with sugar.

These so called academics should look at the overall food culture in Thailand . I think baning carbonated drinks at schools is simply myopic as it appears to disregard the overall problem. Thai food culture has a very sweet tooth and sugar loaded soda's are meerly the tip of the iceberg

Be warned, those low and zero sugar alternatives contain stuff far worse for you than sugar. If you want a coke on a hot day, just accept it and have a fatboy coke, just dont drink 10 a day. The zero sugar alternatives are very bad indeed.

Get those Chang sodas with bitter lemon essence. Really good, and if you don't like it so bubbly add about a third water to it. Great thirst quencher.

+1

But young fat children are cute!

If you stop these young children from eating too much sugar, whose cheek can I grab when out in the shopping malls?

Yeah, cute and doomed to a shortened life of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Enabling kids to become obese is child abuse.

Nothing wrong with traditional crude sugar like unrefined palm sugar which is about 80% sucrose and 20% vitamins & minerals. However, unrefined palm sugar has quickly become virtually extinct in the Thai diet and been replaced by the highly-refined, bleached white sugar which is 99.9% sucrose. And ditto for India, SE Asia, Indonesia & PI.

White sugar acts like a drug in that it is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream and causes a quick, radical surge of insulin to give a sugar high ... and then a rebounding quick drop.

The crude, unrefined palm sugar is absorbed slowly into the bloodstream, thus avoiding the quick sugar high and rebounding insulin ... and the vitamins and minerals (especially chromium) enables the sugar to work as a whole food instead of like a drug.

When it comes to food, the old ways are still the best ways.

Fat kids may seem cute ... and serve as a status symbol of prosperity ... but allowing kids to get fat and dooming them to a shortened, not-so-sweet life of cardiovascular disease and diabetes is child abuse.

Edited by HerbalEd

I tell people back in the states that often times, Thai dishes (or western dishes prepared by Thais) are far too sugary and taste disgusting - and they don't seem to believe me. Or some think oh that would be great! Obviously, they haven't been here to bite into something of these sugar proportions for themselves.

It's funny - because I've lost a lot of weight since moving to Thailand. But that's more to do with increased physical activity (mainly walking) and eating smaller portions - sometimes because they are so doused in sugar I'd just rather not bother. Really, I don't think I'm particularly healthier here than I was back home even though I weigh fewer kilos - it's not necessarily a healthier lower weight, if that makes sense; it's unhealthy in different ways. I mean - a good deal of it was food poisoning and not gaining the weight back, too.

I bought some "lite mayonnaise" the other day, expecting it to be sugar free. It was disgustingly sweet and when the GF showed me the 30% sugar content in Thai I was astounded. How can they label something as "lite" with such a sugar content?

The mayo was given to the neighbours and replaced with Heinz.

Doesn't the 'lite' labeling mean less fat ? - if it means anything real at all.

Its now a well publizised fact, that the thai children are getting fatter. Same as in the States when an economy starts booming the greedy eat more, and then the parents say ,'it must be genetic' no they woul'nt understand that word,as they did't finish school.

Talking of which, some bloggers mention, start at school, posters up etc, certainly not lecturing them on it, as the teachers, would say thats not in the thai curriculum !

Im speaking from experience here, as a friend of mine is a headmaster of a thai school, some 9oo pupils, private owned and he has told me, 'change the curriculam , no chance, they will not allow it.

Thats why they do not have, community type police ,who go round and give advice to teenagers, on trivial issues like , drug abuse, riding motorbikes ,no license, no helmet, under the influence, Gang warfare, the list goes on.

In most countries the parents take a stand and demand the schools do something but here, well i rest my case.

Unless someone knows, thats thai's , any difference ?

Edited by phanangpete

Be warned, those low and zero sugar alternatives contain stuff far worse for you than sugar. The zero sugar alternatives are very bad indeed.

please elaborate.

Aspertame!

Please read the excellent post and links provided by laisliaca above.

I guess you don't know what elaborate means.

I saw a fat Thai boy sitting at "Cupcake Love" (highly recommended) screaming for his cupcakes. He ate the icing on the top in a matter of seconds and left half of the cake in a crumpled mess on the table and hoofed it outa there. I then I saw him and his family 30 mins later in Dunkin Donuts. Sugar rush!!

Spoilt brat. The parents are to blame. Being in both Cupcake Love and Dunkin Donuts within 30 minutes shows above average wealth but not a lot of sense.

I bought some "lite mayonnaise" the other day, expecting it to be sugar free. It was disgustingly sweet and when the GF showed me the 30% sugar content in Thai I was astounded. How can they label something as "lite" with such a sugar content?

Doesn't the 'lite' labeling mean less fat ? - if it means anything real at all.

Doesn't 'lite' mean that it doesn't weigh as much as other brandswhistling.gif

Edited by Keesters

Fat kids may seem cute ... and serve as a status symbol of prosperity ... but allowing kids to get fat and dooming them to a shortened, not-so-sweet life of cardiovascular disease and diabetes is child abuse.

hear hear.

Personally I see nothing 'cute' about fat kids. I see 'sad' leading to an early death or disease.

I saw a fat Thai boy sitting at "Cupcake Love" (highly recommended) screaming for his cupcakes. He ate the icing on the top in a matter of seconds and left half of the cake in a crumpled mess on the table and hoofed it outa there. I then I saw him and his family 30 mins later in Dunkin Donuts. Sugar rush!!

Spoilt brat. The parents are to blame. Being in both Cupcake Love and Dunkin Donuts within 30 minutes shows above average wealth but not a lot of sense.

Judging by his porcine appearance, he gets his way a lot

Be warned, those low and zero sugar alternatives contain stuff far worse for you than sugar. The zero sugar alternatives are very bad indeed.

please elaborate.

Aspertame!

Please read the excellent post and links provided by laisliaca above.

I guess you don't know what elaborate means.

I know full well what elaborate means, but have better things to do than sit and type reams for some lazy ar*e poster who only contributes one liners himself. I have given you the name of a chemical that is very problematic in terms of health and you were even given some excellent links, now why not move those sugar laden arms and fingers and type g o o g l e and see what you can come up with if you are remotely interested.

I know full well what elaborate means, but have better things to do than sit and type reams for some lazy ar*e poster who only contributes one liners himself. I have given you the name of a chemical that is very problematic in terms of health and you were even given some excellent links, now why not move those sugar laden arms and fingers and type g o o g l e and see what you can come up with if you are remotely interested.

that's quite an assumption about the appearance of my arms, and very kind of you to use personal insults.

do I type g o o g l e with or without the spaces?

should I google aspertame as you wrote it, or aspartame? or should I google aspartame conspiracy theories?

All these attack on sugar are unfounded and based on questionable research. It's a fact that threnody needs sugar and our brain is the largest consumer of glucose.

Try over eating and general consumption of processed foods.

So nice to have a great debate without it being pulled down to school child levels.

Sweet poison was mentioned in an earlier post, very informative indeed.

It is a refined product and, if uses sensibly, is not too bad for health.

I was raised in the 40's in the UK where we had sugar rationing. We were allowed very few sweets but even then, we did crave them, it is an addictive food.

Since those days, the consumption of sugars, and I include fructose in it's every form, has risen out of all proportion to other foods.

Using Google (No spaces LOL dapsolapsalai, and thanks for your humourous one liners, I learned very much from them, mostly about you rather than this topic)

I spotted a couple of interesting studies.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2800%2904041-1/fulltext

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb01735.x/abstract

It is a high calorie, processed food, and one that should be taken in only very small quantities unless you are something like an athlete in training and can burn the energy off, otherwise the extra calories will make you fat.

However, I would be very interested to hear what you know that proves that sugar consumption should not be restricted.

• Like 1

Great story! I have one of my own. I was with my girlfriend in a mall food court, and had just piled up a great veggie salad. She then gently took it from my hands and killed it with a ladle full of sickening sweet mayonnaise from one of those troughs. I was fuming, but in love. Ha! What's a guy to do? I ended up marrying her a year later, and I now keep my hands on the salad at all times!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All these attack on sugar are unfounded and based on questionable research. It's a fact that threnody needs sugar and our brain is the largest consumer of glucose.

Untrue. In the absence of glucose your body will produce its own. Look up gluconeogenisis. Your body makes it from protein. Your body does not need one gram of carbohydrate to run efficiently. Most people consume way too much ---cose than is good for them.

Great story! I have one of my own. I was with my girlfriend in a mall food court, and had just piled up a great veggie salad. She then gently took it from my hands and killed it with a ladle full of sickening sweet mayonnaise from one of those troughs. I was fuming, but in love. Ha! What's a guy to do? I ended up marrying her a year later, and I now keep my hands on the salad at all times!

You don't let her toss your salad?

Untrue. In the absence of glucose your body will produce its own. Look up gluconeogenisis. Your body makes it from protein. Your body does not need one gram of carbohydrate to run efficiently. Most people consume way too much ---cose than is good for them.

Well I followed your advice and found this description - what do you think?

The consensus is that you can make sugar if you need it, where as you can't make protein or fat if you need it. So carbohydrates aren't essential to life. That doesn't mean zero/low carb is optimal to life.

Both gluconeogenesis and de novo lipogenesis are things you body does to manage your sugar levels. If you don't have enough, your body can make some and if you have too much your body can get rid of it. I'd argue that neither is really "good" for you. They both take energy and your body would rather probably do something more useful. But if your brain (or something else) needs sugar, your body will make some. Likewise, if you gorge on fructose your body has to get rid of it. It's a highly reactive oxidizing agent in your body, so you need to do something to make it more stable. Step 1 is to store it as glycogen, but there's only so much of that you can store in your muscles and liver. Step 2 is to convert it into fat. Fat (particularly saturated fat) is a very chemically stable molecule and as a result lots can be stored very safely (from a chemical standpoint). Your body doesn't really care about the long term effects of having too much fat in your system, all it cares about is getting the highly reactive toxic sugar (particularly fructose) out. So that's why we have the ability to turn sugar into fat.

I'd argue that if your body is relying on gluconeogenesis you're not eating enough carbs; however, if you're doing de novo lipogenesis you're eating too many. Sugar is safe in the body only in a very narrow range, think of all of the feedback loops we have in our body to manage sugar levels.

Personally, from a chemical standpoint, I'd rather be a little low on sugar than high. Sugar is highly reactive and I don't like the thought of having extra floating around my body waiting to be turned into fat. I'd rather just make it on demand for the systems that must have it.