V's And Z's

NguuMuu

Anyone have any good methods, exercises, or advice on teaching a Thai how to properly pronounce V's and Z's?

I'm sure a lot of repetitive practice with native English speaker is one way to go, but are there any other good ideas out there? I'm specifically interested in anything geared towards Thais as their 'native phonetic toolbox' does not help them much with these letters.

Maybe this is common knowledge amongst the TIT regulars, but I am not an English teacher...just looking for some friendly advice I can use to help my friends improve their English.

Thanks!

I have used this technique and gotten good success.

First have them make the "m" sound while holding their hand or fingers on their throat so that they can feel the vibration from the humming sound of the letter "m". Tell them to note this vibration and make sure that they can feel it.

Second, to make the "v" sound have them make an "f" sound first....I find that Thais can do this easily. Now tell them to make the "f" sound and the humming vibration at the same time.....it works. If you feel comfortable with it, then it is good for them to feel your throat too at the beginning so that you can clearly demonstrate how the "f" sound becomes the "v" sound as soon as you start the humming vibration. When they practice have them hold their hand or fingers on their throat as a feedback mechanism so that they can feel when they do it right. Some Thais are quite surprised when the "f" turns into the "v" with the simple addition of the humming vibration...but be aware that they often quickly forget how to do it even after the first success...you must then have them feel their throats again to get it happening again. Thais can be a bit embarrased about doing this but if you demonstrate it for them on yourself and then encourage them it will work.

Do the same thing to make the "z" sound but have them start with the "s" sound and then add the humming vibration.

With consistent practice it works....good luck.

I very successfully use this method. works everytime in a matter of minutes.

Have them look at your mouth, exaggerate the position of your lips and tongue while pronouncing your V and Z. explain to them how to do it as well.

It's what kids do to speak any language in the first place (looking at parents face as they talk)

give it a shot

greg