Cheese Making

griser

I've decided to stop paying the expensive prices here in Thailand for cheese and decided to try to make my own.

The recipes look very simple, the only hard part being the construction of a press. My only other stickler is an ingredient called rennet. This is a coagulant for the milk, it comes in MANY forms and many types but I am unable to find it in Thailand, the closest place I can find it seems to be Greece!

Anyone know of a place to get it here?

Greg

Edited by griser

We make our own cheese at the restaurant. I looked high and low for a source in Thailand for rennet and bacterial cultures and eventually gave up and ordered over the internet. I have been very satisfied with the products from danlac, (check their website) and for 30-40$ you'll have all you'll need to get started. I've since heard of a company in BK that has rennet, and if that's all you need PM me and I'll get the details for you. Good luck, making cheese isn't the easiest thing to do, but it's quite satisfying when you get it right!

• 1 month later...
Hey found the perfect way to make Cottage Cheese, right here here.

RECIPE

as a cottage cheese afictionado I denounce the above as mirthless, worthless and otherwise a disgraceful attempt to engage the attention of the worldwide cottage cheese brotherhood

these things are not taken lightly, my friend...

• 1 month later...

RECIPE

as a cottage cheese afictionado I denounce the above as mirthless, worthless and otherwise a disgraceful attempt to engage the attention of the worldwide cottage cheese brotherhood

these things are not taken lightly, my friend...

but have you tried my recipe, ?

RECIPE

these things are not taken lighttly, my friend...

but have you tried my recipe, ?

well, look...30 years ago a girl friend attempted to make cottage cheese...she used about 2 litres of whole fresh milk to produce about 4 tablespoons of product, not very nice...

in them days you could get a quart tub of Knudsen's full fat, small curd cottage cheese for about a dollar...rip off the top and view the perfect, unviolated surface, then dip in...like a lion at the kill...

later to get fresh corn tortillas and make cottage cheese tacos with glorious La Victoria Salsa Ranchera...

unhhhh, unhhhh...this is terrible, I have to masturbate now....

I've decided to stop paying the expensive prices here in Thailand for cheese and decided to try to make my own.

The recipes look very simple, the only hard part being the construction of a press. My only other stickler is an ingredient called rennet. This is a coagulant for the milk, it comes in MANY forms and many types but I am unable to find it in Thailand, the closest place I can find it seems to be Greece!

Anyone know of a place to get it here?

Greg

Most of the time you will need more than just rennet, especially for hard cheese. I order supplies from http://www.leeners.com/

There was a program on thai television once of how one of the companies here made cheese, so it seems there should be a source, but I haven't found it yet.

You can make homemade yoghurt by using some plain yoghurt mixing with milk that has been heated and incubating it. Here's a good site for recipes. http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese.html

If you want it thicker than the yoghurt sold here add about 3 T of powdered milk before heating the milk and adding your yoghurt culture. You can then freeze some of the homemade yoghurt in an ice tray to further inoculate future batches. I use homemade yoghurt to make yoghurt cheese similar to cream cheese.

If you don't have a craving for cheeses like brie, then the pre-packaged cheeses such as Caroline brand arent' too bad price wise or taste wise IMO.

beachbunny

Here's a simple 'cheese' I've been making on and off for years:

Get fresh FULL milk. I do 1 litre per batch- makes about 100-150 gms 'cheese' a time

Heat milk until JUST before it boils take off fire, add 1-2 spoons vinegar and stir- should separate into curds and whey.

Pour mixture through one of those fine- meshed plastic sieves.let cool- not too long otherwise gets a bit 'rubbery'! Can use muslin cloth too.

Turn out into mixing bowl add whatever you want: salt pepper herbs garlic chopped walnut etc Experiment! to make smoother add fresh cream. Yum! Or maybe yoghourt? though I've never tried that. If you're lucky, it may taste rather like Boursin!

Put in frigo and eat within a couple of days. Dip all utensils in boiling water to prevent bacteria.

I get my milk off a local farmer @ 15B\litre so works out pretty cheap! Whey goes to pigs!

Good cheesing!

Fosa

We make our own cheese at the restaurant. I looked high and low for a source in Thailand for rennet and bacterial cultures and eventually gave up and ordered over the internet. I have been very satisfied with the products from danlac, (check their website) and for 30-40$ you'll have all you'll need to get started. I've since heard of a company in BK that has rennet, and if that's all you need PM me and I'll get the details for you. Good luck, making cheese isn't the easiest thing to do, but it's quite satisfying when you get it right!

do you use the usual UHT milk generally available at tescos etc. or fresh whole milk? If so where do you obtain it?

Many times when you buy something labelled 'Fresh Milk' in Thailand if you examine the label closely it will say 'Made from Fresh Whole Milk'...what's that supposed to mean?

I would imagine that to make cheese one should have the real article when it comes to ingredients...