Elephant Information Required

losworld

Hello Thai Visa Members. What I need to know is if there is anywhere in the Chiang Mai area where I can obtain the services of an elephant and handler for a nominal fee as our budget is limited. In a nutshell we need to shoot video of an elephant (preferably painting) for a video contest. We had one lined up but unfortunately it has fallen through. I have entered the contest before and faired well. If the spot makes it to the finals there will be a large payment for the service but until then we would be happy to provide 3 or 4 thousand baht for 3 or 4 hours. We will shoot creatively if necessary and the elephant need not be a painting elephant but one would be preferred. I know this is somewhat an odd request but any assistance is appreciated. Also if anyone knows of any Thais with elephants or knows of any elephants taken to town for the "feed the elphant for a fee" ritual please let us know.

Edited by losworld

A few of the featured elephant "amusement" parks have painting elephants. Just google it. Don't know how patient the elephants, or park managers, might be with your notions.

I am glad to say that it seems the Chiang Mai urban elephant begging routine has been cleaned up, but then I don't get out as often as I should to some of the tourist hot spots!

More like slapping paint on a piece of paper. Not literally painting landscapes or portraits. Just so you know.

Don't be mean, they think they are quite creative, do a better job than me at any rate. In reality though elephants have it tough...poor buggers, without finacial exploitation they would probably be gone already.

I fully agree, they have it tough. I just hope they are better taken care of than soi dogs. I worked with 35 of them in a usa circus and they were given the best hay and grain. But they had to travel in a truck almost everyday.