Anti Smoking Drugs

Sydneycraig

There are some threads over the health section, that might be more helpful.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/23-health-body-and-medicine/

Have a friend who recently quit, Chantix was out of the question for her because of other meds she is on, as stated above there are some extreme side affects.

http://www.nicorette.ca/stop-smoking/products/inhaler

along with this spray

http://www.nicorette.ca/stop-smoking/products/quickmist

Best of luck.

I tried the patches and gum with limited success. I suppose the best thing about them was when I was using them I did cut down a bit as I felt obliged to. I used to take my patch off, have a cigarrette and them put it back on again.

It all became expensively pointless and I drifted back.

Sometimes a casual word or two from others can tip one's willpower in the right direction.

I met a Thai nurse, from Chula, socially and she chided me when I lit up. She mentioned some of the patients she dealt with who had severe breathing problems. She mentioned something about having to wear something over their nose like a tube and breathing into some container or other. She was very vivid. By chance, there was a chap on my next plane home with this contraption on (I cannot, however, remember it's precise description) and he was in some distress. I had never witnessed this before and it hit home better than any placebo type cure.

I did not then have my usual ciggy in the toilet at Heathrow when I left the plane and have not been tempted since. Good girl.

Edited by Beechboy

Champix works very well and everyone I know that has tried it has successfully quit, though the side effects can be quite severe (I didn't have any problems personally but some of my friends did) and it is expensive.

I'll second that - I took Champix for a couple of months and haven't had a cigarette for over 2 years now. You get some REALLY weird dreams and can feel sick if you don't take the tablets while you are eating (i.e. in the middle of a meal), but they were the only problems I had...

It is fairly expensive, but compared to what I have saved buying smokes it was worth it!

Champix basically damps the pleasure receptors in the brain, so it's not just cigarettes which no longer give you enjoyment, but most every other pleasure too, which is why there have been so many suicide attempts and incidents of violent aggression in people taking it. It was not properly tested also, which is in line with most things related to the Tobacco Control Industry. Nicotine patches and gums have an abysmal success rate, some research finding the success rates as low as 0.8%.

If you really want to stop smoking cigarettes for reasons of health or whatever, the best way to go is to invest in a good quality e-cigarette. Not only is the "smoke" (in reality water vapour) less damaging to your lungs, but many people have found them a very acceptable substitute / quitting aid.

Of course, the anti-tobacco zealots will tell you otherwise, partly because they are funded to a large degree by the pharmaceutical industry who make billions out of the useless patches and gums, but also because they don't like the fact that e-cigs "look like smoking". They would rather you died than switched to a safer alternative. "Quit or die" is their philosophy. Nothing else will do,

Personally, I enjoy smoking tobacco, and have no desire nor intention to quit. Having done a good deal of research into the subject, I know that although smoking is certainly not very good for you, (but then nor is drinking, eating Big Macs, taking two sugars in your tea etc etc ad nauseam) what we are told by the Tobacco Control Industry is a mixture of gross exaggeration, cherry picked statistics, mangled epidemiology and junk science.

They are zealots, and they do what all zealots do; they lie and they cheat to try to impose their particular brand of morality on everyone else. For them, the end justifies the means. As an example. just ask any anti-tobacco zealot to produce one - just one from the whole world - death certificate stating that this person died as a result of second-hand smoke exposure. They won't, and they can't, because nobody has actually died from "second-hand" smoke inhalation. All the hundreds of thousands of deaths from passive smoking you read about are actually virtual deaths - statistical legerdemain. There are no body bags, just epidemiological models fed into a computer, and the predetermined results that are consequently spat out. Like the "global warming" computer models. Garbage In Garbage Out, as they say.

However, that said, I certainly wouldn't seek to turn anyone away from quitting, if that's what they want to do. But I would advise against Champix (Google it, and see what you find. I think you would be rapidly be put off). I would also advise against NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) products as provided by the pharmaceutical industry, simply because they have a reputation for being both expensive and worse than useless.

Which basically leaves a choice between e-cigs and snus (a Swedish tobacco product taken orally, a bit like chewing tobacco, but not so messy). I have an e-cig which I use in situations where I can't smoke ordinary cigarettes, and I think it's great. If I actually wanted to stop smoking tobacco for whatever reason, I could happily switch to vaping, which is what 'smoking' e-cigs is called. Have a look round this forum:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

There's a lot of info there which you might find interesting.

Champix is the brand sold in Canada & Europe and Chantix is the USA version, googling side affects for both will give you enough reading material to make an educated decision if the medication it right for you.

Canada also warns of serious adverse cardiovascular events.

I recently brought a 3 month supply of Champix, for me the nightmares were just to bad, but then again I am on quite a few other meds.

If you want to try it I can let you have mine at a good price,( or else they are just gonna sit in my medicine cabinet) there are still about 10 weeks worth left.

PM me if you are interested

I tried Champix and I got so bad tempered that my wife told me to stop taking them.

Where can I buy this e-cigarette in Thailand, I am in Pattaya.

Believe it or not...e-ciggarettes are illegal in Thailand.

FWIW, I tried the e-cig in the UK recently, it just made me smoke more as I could smoke them in the house, in the car, in Tesco!!! anywhere basically.

I'm not saying they don't work, they just did not seem to work for me

Champix basically damps the pleasure receptors in the brain, so it's not just cigarettes which no longer give you enjoyment, but most every other pleasure too, which is why there have been so many suicide attempts and incidents of violent aggression in people taking it. It was not properly tested also, which is in line with most things related to the Tobacco Control Industry. Nicotine patches and gums have an abysmal success rate, some research finding the success rates as low as 0.8%.

If you really want to stop smoking cigarettes for reasons of health or whatever, the best way to go is to invest in a good quality e-cigarette. Not only is the "smoke" (in reality water vapour) less damaging to your lungs, but many people have found them a very acceptable substitute / quitting aid.

Of course, the anti-tobacco zealots will tell you otherwise, partly because they are funded to a large degree by the pharmaceutical industry who make billions out of the useless patches and gums, but also because they don't like the fact that e-cigs "look like smoking". They would rather you died than switched to a safer alternative. "Quit or die" is their philosophy. Nothing else will do,

Personally, I enjoy smoking tobacco, and have no desire nor intention to quit. Having done a good deal of research into the subject, I know that although smoking is certainly not very good for you, (but then nor is drinking, eating Big Macs, taking two sugars in your tea etc etc ad nauseam) what we are told by the Tobacco Control Industry is a mixture of gross exaggeration, cherry picked statistics, mangled epidemiology and junk science.

They are zealots, and they do what all zealots do; they lie and they cheat to try to impose their particular brand of morality on everyone else. For them, the end justifies the means. As an example. just ask any anti-tobacco zealot to produce one - just one from the whole world - death certificate stating that this person died as a result of second-hand smoke exposure. They won't, and they can't, because nobody has actually died from "second-hand" smoke inhalation. All the hundreds of thousands of deaths from passive smoking you read about are actually virtual deaths - statistical legerdemain. There are no body bags, just epidemiological models fed into a computer, and the predetermined results that are consequently spat out. Like the "global warming" computer models. Garbage In Garbage Out, as they say.

However, that said, I certainly wouldn't seek to turn anyone away from quitting, if that's what they want to do. But I would advise against Champix (Google it, and see what you find. I think you would be rapidly be put off). I would also advise against NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) products as provided by the pharmaceutical industry, simply because they have a reputation for being both expensive and worse than useless.

Which basically leaves a choice between e-cigs and snus (a Swedish tobacco product taken orally, a bit like chewing tobacco, but not so messy). I have an e-cig which I use in situations where I can't smoke ordinary cigarettes, and I think it's great. If I actually wanted to stop smoking tobacco for whatever reason, I could happily switch to vaping, which is what 'smoking' e-cigs is called. Have a look round this forum:

http://www.e-cigaret...orum.com/forum/

I think "proving" second hand smoke deaths is almost impossible. But there is evidence that points to them.

My brother died of a particular lung cancer that is considered exclusive to smokers. He never smoked a cigarette in his life. His wife was a heavy smoker, though. Proof? No. But I would think that this and other cases like it lead credence to the concept of second-hand smoke causing disease and death.

Beer?

Aloha

If one wants to live a long healthier life, then a shorter one with, coffin nails, I will share what I did, after trying over the counter, remedies off and on for years, patch, BB in ear lobe, tapering off.

First, quitting drinking, is almost a must, your desire to be healthy, live longer, must outweigh being looked at with a pacifier in your mouth.

Many years ago I, realized smoking, is a pacifier, either replacing the nipple, procrastinating, fear, time to think (wasting time)

I brought a pacifier, yes a pacifier, hung it around my neck, for the first week, I just wore it at home, to embarrassed to wear it outside, every time I wanted, needed a pacifier (toxic cigarette) I put the pacifier in my mouth, sucked on it, spit it out and continued to do what ever I was doing, instead of stopping lighting up a cancer stick, and delaying getting finished, what I started.

Once it started working, I decided to take it outside, a few people said what the hell are you doing, I said, I'M QUITTING SMOKING AND IT AIN'T EASY, they would laugh and I won.

I also suggested this to some friends, 3 out of 10 was able to quit.

I now have a new lease on life, I no longer smell like and ashtray, I don't get dirty looks from people that hate, second hand smoke, I have added some priceless years to my life.

They never said it would be easy, It takes backbone, balls, If your a man, guts, realizing a pacifier in your mouth, does not look a as bad as smoke, coming out of it.

If you can't quit, please refrain form leaving toxic cigarette ends (BUTTS) behind, they pose a big danger to babies, wildlife and waterways.

Wishing the best of luck, for life's sake...

Like quitting drinking, one day at a time...

http://www.e-cigaret...orum.com/forum/

Totally up to anyone, that wants to smoke, but The Pollution Solution Group hope that your a considerate smoker, not leaving toxic cigarette butts behind, that take up to 12 years to decompose also babies from 6 months to two years have been known to ingest them at beaches, parks, lakes, becoming quite ill, wildlife has died and waterways contaminated, doing oneself harm is a personal right, leaving their poison behind, is another story.

Have a good day

I tried Champix and I got so bad tempered that my wife told me to stop taking them.

Where can I buy this e-cigarette in Thailand, I am in Pattaya.

Believe it or not...e-ciggarettes are illegal in Thailand.

FWIW, I tried the e-cig in the UK recently, it just made me smoke more as I could smoke them in the house, in the car, in Tesco!!! anywhere basically.

I'm not saying they don't work, they just did not seem to work for me

Is that true (the illegal part)? Why?

I had to have a chest xray for a non smoking related problem, and was told I had the beginnings of COPD, previously known as emphysema. Many years ago on TV I saw a program about this ex miner with emphysema, he needed oxygen after just walking up the stairs at home. When I was told I had it, it frightened the life out of me, I immediately joined a stop smoking clinic, they gave me a 3 month supply of patches (1 month of 21mg patches, 1 month of 14mg patches and 1 month of 7mg patches), they made my skin too sore to continue them so I was given an inhalator and boxes of 10mg cartridges. I havent had a cigarette for 5 weeks and I'm now weaning myself off the inhalator, early days I know but I was smoking 30+ per day so I'm quietly confident. I was using 5/6 cartridges per day, now I'm down to 2/3, they certainly help me.