Krabi Tourism Hit By Dutch Video Clip

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immediate extraction of as much money as fast as possible has quickly become the rule of thumb. Its fueled by lawlessness and greed. Hell the lack of tourists is often used as an "Excuse" for robberies in these parts, it really would be laughable if it wasn't true.

Reading the above article between the lines clearly indicates that they think its the video's fault that tourism will take a hit, not the fact the girl was raped. And while I'm on one, whats with the 2 years court case BS?

Minor traffic violations here and you'll be locked up real quick as a foreigner. Under pay or disagree with a Tuktuk driver and you'll be let off with a physical warning. blink.png

Dual pricing isn't the only issue. There's a completely different set of rules and supposed laws for Thai's and foreigners.

A truly shocking case.

Can you imagine the furor and uproar if a foreigner had raped a hi-so Thai woman in the province. You can bet Ittirat Kinglek would have been extremely indignant and outraged if the foreigner was released on bail after initially admitting the crime. He would - no doubt - take the line that the court's decision had seriously undermined tourists' confidence in the law being upheld and therefore would have an adverse effect on tourism.

Edited by bulmercke

EVIL MAN FROM KRABI

Krabi tourism hit by viral video clip

The Nation

30193989-01_big.jpg

KRABI: -- Tourism in the seaside province of Krabi was badly affected after a video clip produced by a Dutch pop singer singing about his 19-year-old daughter's rape in the province went viral, Krabi Tourism Association president Ittirat Kinglek said yesterday.

Ittirat said he had been told that many tourists had cancelled their bookings at certain five-star hotels in Krabi because they were not confident about the security.

The official was referring to a video clip called "Evil Man from Krabi", in which the Dutch father sings about his daughter being raped during her birthday party at a hotel in Krabi's Ao Nang Beach.

The father made this clip to campaign for justice after the tourist guide, who was arrested for reportedly raping the teenager, had been freed on bail and later retracted his confession.

The clip posted on YouTube two weeks ago had been viewed 81,126 times as of press time yesterday.

Meanwhile, Phuket Wan online quoted the Deputy Commander of Krabi police, Pol Colonel Jongrak Timthong, as saying the suspect had been granted bail after he denied the charges in court.

"His retraction means the court could take a year or even two years to issue a verdict," Jongrak said, adding that the father was free to protest.

According to the website, the birthday party had been held at a bar on Ao Nang and that the suspect had offered to take the girl back to her apartment on his motorbike. In her testimony, the victim told the police that she was being beaten so badly that she had to stop resisting in order to survive. She was treated for her injuries at Krabi Hospital before she filed a police report and returned to the Netherlands.

Ittirit said this video was an important lesson for the authorities concerned and should teach them to always try and solve each case. He said all tourists facing problems should be helped at every step of the way so they do not feel abandoned.

The authorities should not cover up any information about the case so visitors know what is being done to help them. He admitted that this video would definitely hurt the province's tourism industry for a long time to come.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-09

As I mentioned in other topics, I did some translation work with court and cops and I can see how it works. Police make the suspect confess, suspect appears in court for preliminary hearing where his lawyer advices him to plead not guilty and bail is set and the suspect is on his way. And indeed it takes at least a year before the case will appear in court of first hearing, even if he then receives a guilty verdict he can appeal and will be released on bail again, then it will take around 2 years for the appeal court to reach a verdict. By that time almost 3 years have gone by, foreign victim is not here anymore, time has healed the wounds and the chance is small that suspect will do any real time. Sad but true !

If a victim's testimony is sworn before a judge the evidence stands, no matter how long it takes or whether or not they choose to return for the hearing.The difficulty is in getting the police to act in the first place....

Edited by evadgib

It's the court who releases perp not the police, and at preliminary hearing the victim does tell her/his side of story but that doesn't seem to matter because perp is again released on bail, not by police but by the court.

I know that quite a few coppers are corrupt to say the least but the bail decision lays with the court, who are just to weak or not willing to lock people up.

Edited by likewise
  • Like 1

Thailand needs to learn that the social world is upon us and this face saving crap and injustice system that is in place here just will not be able to avoid more of this sort of thing. I wish more people had the motivation to do videos like this and I hope the video has enough views to prove it's point.

• Like 2

If a song about a lost guitar could shake up United Airlines maybe this will shake up the local tourist people a bit. I hope the daughter is recovering and the deep hurt the father rightly feels slowly fades.

Edited by harrry

Good on that father cos I would hunt this scum down and take care of him myself he would be begging to to jail.

Its great to see hundreds of comments on that video from disgruntled thais as well as falangs and I would suggest we all add it to our facebook pages and share it, maybe this might be the thing that makes the powers that be wake up and see people are tired of this bullshit.

The thought of one of my daughters being raped enrages me and I would like a few minutes with this scum anyway lets share this video and get it out there as its time Thailand realized they have to act and act fast whenever a tourist is assaulted killed raped or robbed and push it through fast.

DK

This is a very smart campaign, hitting the Thais in the pocket where it hurts them. It is the only way to get their attention that "civilized' people do not tolerate crap like this.bah.gifThere is a increase in violent crime including, rapes and stabbings from groups of youth in gangs on scooter motorbikes who seem either untouchable by the police or the police have no interest in stopping their crime spree. The other problem is the the local courts and judicial system is ineffective with the violent criminals when they are caught. source

I have noticed many people commenting on the Youtube vid asking people to boycott Krabi and contacting tourist operators and letting them know why they are going to other places.

Edited by jcw