200 Baht Admission To Floating Market !

monsieurhappy

Called at floating market yesterday to look around and walk off lunch. Entered carpark from road alongside railway tracks and surprised to see it almost empty. When we tried to enter market we were stopped and asked to pay. My Thai isn't good but I understood they were asking for money and I could see the turnstiles you are supposed to go through. One of my friends, a Thai lady spoke to them and told us it was free for Thais but 200 baht for everyone else. Needless to say we turned around and left. No wonder the carpark was nearly empty!

200 baht for the floating market? So you pay 200 baht to go to basically an outdoor shopping center with a grubby pond in the middle.

It's actually quite a pleasant place to walk around, but so are thousands of other markets and shopping malls.

You are right - it is a place for shopping - to spend money, so why on earth would anyone want to pay 200 baht for the privilege of spending their money?

The thing I don't understand is that that the place has been flourishing ever since it opened a few years back- always jammed full of tourists off the buses spending their hard earned money.

So why ruin it by charging the punters to go in? Doesn't make any sense.

Interesting to see how it pans out. Maybe they know more than we do....

• Like 1

200 baht for the floating market? So you pay 200 baht to go to basically an outdoor shopping center with a grubby pond in the middle.

It's actually quite a pleasant place to walk around, but so are thousands of other markets and shopping malls.

You are right - it is a place for shopping - to spend money, so why on earth would anyone want to pay 200 baht for the privilege of spending their money?

The thing I don't understand is that that the place has been flourishing ever since it opened a few years back- always jammed full of tourists off the buses spending their hard earned money.

Probably just greed, as in, "Wow our Floating Garden is so busy that probably (some) tourists would pay an admission fee..."

And I doubt that the bus loads of chinese and other asian tourists aren't asked for an admission fee.

Probably just greed, as in, "Wow our Floating Garden is so busy that probably (some) tourists would pay an admission fee..."

And I doubt that the bus loads of chinese and other asian tourists aren't asked for an admission fee.

Yes, greed... avarice...

The avaricious man is like the barren sandy ground of the desert which sucks in all the rain and dew with greediness, but yields no fruitful herbs or plants for the benefit of others...

I have been there maybe three or four times and the idea of paying 200 baht to roam around is not happening. Even if I had never been there before and heard of the place and then heard that it would cost 200 baht... The horse's laugh is all they would have gotten from me.

• Like 1

I have been there maybe three or four times and the idea of paying 200 baht to roam around is not happening.

If you went there several times, I suppose that your are a regular visitor of Pattaya, or even expats, then you certainly have a driving license; then it's free for your. Why would you not return ?

• Like 1

I have been there maybe three or four times and the idea of paying 200 baht to roam around is not happening.

If you went there several times, I suppose that your are a regular visitor of Pattaya, or even expats, then you certainly have a driving license; then it's free for your. Why would you not return ?

This belief that if you show them your Thai drivers license you will get Thai rates does not always work at all venues. I have been told I would have to pay 5 times the Thai rate by the government park wardens, drift racing at Bali Hai pier parking lot demanded twice the Thai rate reguardless of my Thai license, Navy base beaches - same. There are many examples of this we either pay or walk away. We are sometimes at there whim of the collectors or policy makers. The point is in Thailand the Thai D/L does not guarantee equal pricing if you are deemed a non Thai.

• Like 1

Unless the attractions are severely upgraded, I have no real reason to go there unless I want to kill some time. Also, we all should be aware that having a driver's license is just that, a driver's license, and does not guarantee any type of local admission price.

A relaxing, quiet "floating market" (better than the tourist trap one in Bangkok) is the one at Ancient Siam near Bangkok. (look it up on Google). This place is amazing and (fortunately) not well known to farangs. It is an "outdoor" museum with a collection of authentic wooden structure from around Thailand displaying traditional architecture (temples and government buildings, houses) along with life size replicas of buildings (temples and palaces) that once existed around Thailand. This place has a great replica of a floating market with "real" old wooden buildings that once were along klangs. Variouis kinds of restaurants (thai food) at reaonable prices and inexpensive items to buy. To get around one can rent bicycles or rent a golf cart (cars supposedly are not allowed in the park) . A few years ago, the place was getting runned down but the grandchildren have taken it over and have done great things to it. Ancient Siam (or called Ancient City) has a website: www.ancientcity.com I find weekends are better to attend since all the restaurants are open.

• Like 1

Been there a few times with my visitors....The food was disgusting, the attitude of the people serving it was disgusting, most of the products for sale are "TAT.........My gf says it "has" to be free entry for Thais as they wouldn't pay 200 baht to go there to see what is basically a "Land-fill" site full of dirty water....

What about Nong Nooch Gardens do they have duel pricing, if so can a expat get in on Thai price with a Thai drivers license?

No problem at Nong Nooch with a Thai Drivers Licence, you pay Thai price..

Also Undersea World, but definitely not Sanctuary of Truth.

Edited by Satcommlee

With prices that are more expensive that you can get in town...

But that's what the entrance fee is for..................To support those shops who're selling nothing because they're too expensive biggrin.png

What about Nong Nooch Gardens do they have duel pricing, if so can a expat get in on Thai price with a Thai drivers license?

No problem at Nong Nooch with a Thai Drivers Licence, you pay Thai price..

Also Undersea World, but definitely not Sanctuary of Truth.

Thank you for your help.wai.gif

I'm surprised more floating markets haven't been dredged in Pattaya. A couple years ago (?) the first two floating markets opened just up the street from each other in Hua Hin, and a third one is currently being built to the north of town.

I've been the the two current ones, and fail to see the attraction. Thais FLOCK to them, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I do like to people watch, so I enjoy going here. Bigger crowds of tourists, more for me to watch and enjoy. They do have a separate window for those that have a Thai drivers license, and you will always get a free pass by going to this window. Dolphin Show asked for 500 baht. When I showed them my Thai DL, it became 150 baht. Many bargains available if you have gotten your license. It pays for itself in one day.