Volunteers Do Not Require A Waiver For The Teaching License

Mario2008

A volunteer doesn't receive a salary, then it would not be volunteering. Of course his expenses could be paid, such as travel expenses etc. But you also have to see that in the light of how much a normal teacher makes, who does get normal pay. 15,000 for a volunteer is not very credible and will be questioned.

Having said that, there are "paid" volunteers but I only know of volunteers working for international NGO's. Some organisations like MSF give their volunteers a living expense, besides providing for their food and accomodation. One organisation i believe was giving it medical staff 20,000 baht a month, but you have to understand it is a foreign organisation with people from abroad who will not have an income during the time they are away from their home country. They forgo their salary which is much higher.

What's a special lecturer???

My Mum says that I'm special! Does that count?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

A good question, to which i don't know the answer. But it could be something as having a carpenter teaching about carpentry a few hours a week.

I don't think that you being special to your mother counts for the Teachers' Council, but it I'm certian it will count for you and your mum.

• Like 2

What's a special lecturer???

My Mum says that I'm special! Does that count?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

If your mom works for Immigration or the TCT, then you are in luck.

What Mario may be getting at is the group of people who can teach what is considered to be traditional subjects and subjects that are in danger of being lost over time. I don't know if these people have to be volunteers, but they do not need a TL or waiver to teach their craft.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for that, Mario

If you volunteer, do you still need a batchelor degree to teach?

My wife and I are private kindergarten school owners and I want to know if I can teach English in my own school (free) without having the Thai government come down and jump on me for doing so.

There is no qualification requirement for a teacher and the labour office might set their own.

But volunteering in your own kinder garten might be met with raised eyebrows. I wouldn't consider it volunteering but working, it would be to raise your profits (and maybe to cut cost on additional staffing). So tlak to your labour office first and see how they feel about it.

There is no qualification requirement for a teacher and the labour office might set their own.

But volunteering in your own kinder garten might be met with raised eyebrows. I wouldn't consider it volunteering but working, it would be to raise your profits (and maybe to cut cost on additional staffing). So tlak to your labour office first and see how they feel about it.

I would argue about your first statement that there is no qualification needed to be a teacher as they insist on you having a degree in order to get a teachers license.

I already have a work permit as I am assistant manager in our school. As I understand it, I cannot legitimately teach as I don't have the requisite qualifications to - which seems a bit absurd not being able to teach even though my wife and I are the owners.

Good luck with your kindergarten school. thumbsup.gif

One could possibly be a Teacher's Assistant - which could make things easier for you, as I believe the requirements are minimal. I know of some assistants that are able to "teach" or "help to teach", this way.

I'm sure others can tell you more about this and what exactly it involves.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

One could possibly be a Teacher's Assistant - which could make things easier for you, as I believe the requirements are minimal. I know of some assistants that are able to "teach" or "help to teach", this way.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Thanks for the reply,

As I say, I am already the assistant manager and have a work permit for said job.

I used to teach (with the aid of one of our Thai teachers) as I was initially given a teachers license for a 2 year period - upon attempting to extend it in BKK they asked my wife "what degree I had" when she said I didn't, they weren't interested as the rules had just changed and their was a blanket ban on anyone without a degree obtaining a teachers license (which was being strictly enforced).

I now assist the Thai teacher in my capacity as assistant manager (can control the teachers in the school) so I am, strictly speaking, taking part in the classes. It just irks me that someone with a degree in art from Las Vegas' - I actually see this in the pile of applications can get a teachers license whereas I, with an HNC in chemistry with over 31 years experience in synthetic polymer chemistry cannot!!!! NB: an HNC is at an equivalent level to BS degree but is obtained on a day release basis.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

The local westerners in this area of Loei province were screened by local schools and asked to volunteer to teach once or twice a week. I wasn't interested but did ask about permits and qualifications. They insisted that there were no qualifications for teaching other than the ability to speak, read and write English. No permits or other paperwork were required and they offered to assist if you had any problems with your visa and immigration. They seemed to think they could pressure immigration if there were any problems. I believed them.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Thanks for the reply,

As I say, I am already the assistant manager and have a work permit for said job.

I used to teach (with the aid of one of our Thai teachers) as I was initially given a teachers license for a 2 year period - upon attempting to extend it in BKK they asked my wife "what degree I had" when she said I didn't, they weren't interested as the rules had just changed and their was a blanket ban on anyone without a degree obtaining a teachers license (which was being strictly enforced).

I now assist the Thai teacher in my capacity as assistant manager (can control the teachers in the school) so I am, strictly speaking, taking part in the classes. It just irks me that someone with a degree in art from Las Vegas' - I actually see this in the pile of applications can get a teachers license whereas I, with an HNC in chemistry with over 31 years experience in synthetic polymer chemistry cannot!!!! NB: an HNC is at an equivalent level to BS degree but is obtained on a day release basis.

Is your school registered as a school or as a company (language school) if language school i believe that you do not need a teachers licence.. only schools operating under OBEC (The Office of the Basic Education Commission) need this... but i may be wrong.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Thanks for the reply,

Is your school registered as a school or as a company (language school) if language school i believe that you do not need a teachers licence.. only schools operating under OBEC (The Office of the Basic Education Commission) need this... but i may be wrong.

Our school operates under OBEC - to be honest, being a nursery/kindergarten school (age group 2-6) there is no requirement to teach English to our chikdren. We just like to help prepare them (or at least try to spark an interest) towards learning English and do it voluntarily - just the basics at this time although teaching them to read using the DISTAR method is under serious consideration.

We also provide swimming lessons for the 4 YO's+ in our swimming pool, which the children love!!!

Our school opened 5 years ago and from year one it was the number 1 school in Sichon and has remained so simce, with an intake of 400 children now.

I would argue about your first statement that there is no qualification needed to be a teacher as they insist on you having a degree in order to get a teachers license.

I already have a work permit as I am assistant manager in our school. As I understand it, I cannot legitimately teach as I don't have the requisite qualifications to - which seems a bit absurd not being able to teach even though my wife and I are the owners.

My first comment was not very clear, it was meant regarding volunteer teachers. For paid teachers there is no requirement that I know of from labour or immigration, but will depend on the office you are using. The only official requirement comes from the Teachers' Council, you can simply not get a teaching license without the right qualifications. But not sure if that also goes for the teaching waiver.

The teaching part could maybe be worked around with your job-description, as also allowing you to assist the teachers. Talk with labour about the problem ad see what they advise. Some labour offices are very helpful.

My first comment was not very clear, it was meant regarding volunteer teachers. For paid teachers there is no requirement that I know of from labour or immigration, but will depend on the office you are using. The only official requirement comes from the Teachers' Council, you can simply not get a teaching license without the right qualifications. But not sure if that also goes for the teaching waiver.

The teaching part could maybe be worked around with your job-description, as also allowing you to assist the teachers. Talk with labour about the problem ad see what they advise. Some labour offices are very helpful.

Yo be honest I'm basically in the clear now to take part in the English lessons (as you point out) due to my new job description. I was simply curious about 'being able to teach' without a work permit essentialy, albeit on a voluntary basis and interested about this waiver (which I didn't know about incidentally).

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

• 3 weeks later...

This is very interesting. So if I take this letter to the local Department of Employment office and show them it, along with the contract from my school saying I am a special lecturer (in whatever) rather than a plain old teacher then I will get a work permit? Does this then last for a year and become renewable next year?

If so, it's great news indeed