Cheap Guesthouse Hotel Accommodation In Yangon Thread

SeaVisionBurma

I've been meaning to start this for a while.

With the popularity of Myanmar putting a squeeze on affordable accommodation at the lower end, information on decent affordable places can be posted here.

- Try and post current (within the past year) information - don't give a vague reference to some B&B you last stayed in 7 years ago.

- A couple of photos of rooms/front entrance if you have them.

- Location and most recent price.

- Give some features of the place. Does it include a decent breakfast? Internet? Near any shops/places of interest?

- No high end hotels - they're already on Agoda anyway and we all know the big end of the market..

Please feel free to add based on your own experiences, or encourage others who have recently stayed somewhere to contribute.

If you have a favourite place that you want to remain a secret wink.png fine. But someone else may post it....whistling.gif

I'll pin this thread and start it off.

• Like 1

Chan Myae Guest House.

Mahabandoola Garden Street (Upper Block), between Bogyoke & Anawratha streets.

Popular & charming family run guest house in downtown Yangon.

Selection of different rooms, but you have to walk up 4 flights of stairs just to get to reception.

Simple communal breakfast is included. Rooms are comfortable and have a fridge, fan aircon and are clean.

No internet. Walking distance to downtown shopping/eating (its located between 34th & 35th Street)

Prices range from $12 for an upper floor single, shared bathroom - up to $24 for a twin/double with own bathroom. (correct as at Nov 2012)

Photo of a room, and the current price list attached.

post-136-0-99388100-1352778657_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-55865000-1352778669_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My understanding of Myanmar law was that many of the cheaper guesthouses/hotels are not licenced to provide accommodation for foreigners. Certainly, I have previously asked about staying at various hotels and been told by the management that foreigners are not permitted to stay.

Do you know if such a law exists? I have to say that I have never seen any foreigner staying at any of the small hotels in Latha/Chinatown area

Simon

Hi Simon,

That law certainly exists, but the thread is meant for the guesthouses and lower priced hotels that are registered and approved for foreigners.

I spent a fair bit of time checking out a number of these lower end places just to see what is available, and I have yet to come across any downtown that aren't licensed for foreigners. Most of these are in the $5-$40 range.

I was quite amazed as to how many there are in this price bracket, including several in the Latha/Chinatown area.

If you happen to see any you think worthwhile, please consider posting.

Hope Yangon is treating you well.

Cheers

SVB

• 2 weeks later...

Beauty Land 2 Guest House

Great location in central downtown Yangon, only a couple of blocks walking distance from Sule Pagoda Road.

I stayed there in July for a week - at that time (low season) the rates were:

$15 per night, fan room with shared bathroom (up on the roof terrace level, lots of stairs to walk up)

$24-26 for a twin/double with ensuite bathroom and aircon. ($24 no window, $26 window)

Room prices in high season are somewhat higher, with a double aircon bathroom up to $40

post-136-0-12254200-1353687782_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-59246900-1353687806_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-93567300-1353687834_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sup guys long time no see,

I'm still in Sunny Yangon 18mths for me so far...

Low cost and Yangon don't go that well together.

The only one i know that's even a place you would want to stop is GVI ( Golden Valley Inn) Its 30000 a night if your a local or 50USD if your not.

I'm sure there are others but the reports i have seen and been told about are pritty bad. There is a guest house at the back of my place near Hledan. Not sure on the price i could ask but will send you a photo first :)

Khounteen: I have seen your post about opportunities, I would come for a mth before you even think about that. You need big pockets and local knowledge there are things in Myanmar that the westerner doesn't even factor in at first. Example, You want a condo,what ever your thinking times it by 3 and then have the money to pay 1 year upfront. I will give you some ideas in PM.

Good luck.

Going back to Hotels/B+Bs they range from 50 a night to 500+

What we are finding is people just house share or just sublet a room. not my idea of fun but hay its ok for some.

Dan

• 3 months later...