When Can We Use This Sentence?

sukhont

Dear friends,

I'm Thai. My friend's friend use this sentence to him to reply when he greeting.

I'm going good and so are you by the look of things.

Can anyone tell me what "so are you by the look of things" mean? or how can we use it?

Thanks in advance,

Sukhontika

We have a number of posters who are very good with grammar, idioms and phrases. I've posted sentences I've come across several times and gotten some good feedback. It's not my area of specialty, but I will start.

First I would change the sentence to read "I'm doing well and so are you by the looks of things" I've heard this sentence used before and I think that is what the speaker means.

"So are you by the looks of things", would mean that you look like you are doing well (going well).

Just my idea on it.

• Like 1

You can’t say: “I’m going good.” Better: "I’m doing well and so do you by the looks at things."

Guess what he/ she’s trying to say is: “I’m doing well and so do you by looking at you.”

Or:

“I’m doing well and so do you, how things go.” Guess it's time for our grammar cops to jump in...wai2.gif

• Like 1

Scott is correct but to expand a little on the phrase "I'm going good and so are you by the look of things."

In using "I'm going good", think about it in this way, the person saying this statement as they are "moving"(going) through life they are "doing well".

In the other part of the phrase, by just looking at your "appearance", it looks as if you are also doing well. (which is a compliment)

Not used as much anymore but generally was used when you had not seen the other person in a long time.

That's how I would explain it.

Edited by Mrjlh

Thank you for your idea.

You’re more than welcome. Great to have some people like you here. I’d love to be able to read and write your language.

Living here for 10 years and not being able to do that should show you how bad some foreigners are in learning a second or third language.Cheers-wai2.gif

First I would change the sentence to read "I'm doing well and so are you by the looks of things" I've heard this sentence used before and I think that is what the speaker means.

As a Brit we would NOT use the word 'looks' it would remain as 'look'.

• Like 2

As a Brit we would NOT use the word 'looks' it would remain as 'look'.

I think Americans use "looks" while Brits are using "lock". It's that easy? laugh.png

http://dictionary.ca...ook-s-of-things

Edited by sirchai

OP - Is your friend's friend from Australia or New Zealand?

As this is something we often say in New Zealand / Australia, although maybe people from the UK / USA say it as well? I'm not sure.

We often say, especially for men greeting their male friends:

A: How's it going mate?

Replies to which are often:

B: Good good mate,

B: Yeah not too bad ay

B: Going pretty well ay

B: Yeah, can't complain ay

B: Yeah, Not too shabby ay

B: I'm going good (Which admittedly, we'd often add an "ay" or "mate" to the end of the sentence, and/or a "Yeah" to the front, as these are just random words we insert into sentences which show that we're relaxed / speaking to friends).

All of which, are just equivalent of saying that they are fine / good etc.

Often followed by a return question of:

B: How 'bout yaself?

Although in the OP's situation, B has answered the question themselves, by making an observation about A

B: I'm going good, and so are you by the look of things?

Usually with a pause at the end of the sentence, as it's essentially a question. Because it invites A to comment about themselves, either via general comment or a specific reply (based on what is obviously going well for A e.g. New car / different appearance / new gf etc, something visible, as opposed to if the question was "And so are you from what I hear", in which case it could be any positive changes for A that someone might have told B about etc).

Because the conversation is using slang / colloquial / casual expressions, their grammer etc isn't very good. And even if their grammer was a bit better, it's slang / colloquial expressions, which might not appropriate / understood correctly when speaking to people from outside New Zealand / Australia.

That's my 2c smile.png I hope that it's of some assistance.

Edited by SlyAnimal
  • Like 1

Its definitely an australian saying and been slang there is no right or wrong way to say it.

"im going good and so are you by the look(looks) of things " is not grammatically correct,but its slang.

It translates as im doing well, im happy, i have lost weight, i have a good job, etc etc.

"so are you by the look(looks) of things"

,translates as; you look healthy or you could be standing outside your new house or next to a new car and are doing well financially etc,etc.

Its a form of greeting

Edited by jingjoe8
  • Like 1

In Canada we would probably say; "I'm doing good, and so are you by the look of things." You have to remember it is a colloquial saying so the grammar isn't necessarily correct. It roughly means that I am well physically, mentally, and probably financially, and that by looking at you, you are doing the same.

It's idiomatic speech. That is, it is an idiom.

The problem now is to determine which native english speaker would use it. Clearly, the Brits don't.

I'm going good: is the same as saying 'I'm good' [American] or ' I'm doing fine / well' [ British].

- and so are you: Needs no explanation

by the look of things: is either a comment made on how healthy he/she appears or a comment based upon what he/she has told you.

It is a compliment. It can be used early in a greeting along with observations such as 'You've changed your hair style' or ' Is that a new coat?'

Should you use it with a native english speaker they will understand its meaning.

As I did.