12 Foreign Tourists Arrested On "visa Run"

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is needed is for the Police/Immigration to use a bit of common sense, and we all know how good the Thai are at that.

Very unkind and inapropriate general statement about Thais

:o

I think Sierra01 you are not the right person to be saying that. Especially when you havent got any yourself :D

What is needed is for the Police/Immigration to use a bit of common sense, and we all know how good the Thai are at that.

Very unkind and inapropriate general statement about Thais

:o

I think Sierra01 you are not the right person to be saying that. Especially when you havent got any yourself :D

I think this posting is symptomatic of Thai law enforcement and Western foreigners’ attitudes to it.....

It would seem to be the case that the authorities here overreacted...any common sense would have avoided locking people up in this instance. On the other hand there is the arrogance of the western tourist that assumes he'll be treated in a preferential way.

Calls of “the law is the law” are so fatuous as to be discounted, we are in a country where the rule of law is erratic at best and so we should make allowances…if only to protect ourselves...…arguing the toss with a local officer (police or immigration) is only going to end in tears and hopefully no loss of face or you’re in BIG trouble…Jai yen yen is the order of the day…we don’t know what exactly went on between these people or why they were stopped in the first place – asked? Informed? Genuine suspicion? It could be any of a hundred reasons. The fact remains that it does from time to time happen and if it is decided the law gives the authorities a lot of scope and very little comeback to your average “Johnny Foreigner”.

As for the “banana eater” – how ridiculous can you get??? If for any reason (and there are many unexpected pitfalls) you find yourself inadvertently on the receiving end of the law you will maybe have a little more sympathy for others……pride comes before a fall…this is a country where anyone can fall foul of the law, and it doesn’t take much.

Edited by wilko

The fact is, is that as long as you have ten days or less in overstay, this can be paid for at any border crossing with never a problem. However, taking this option does entail a certain amount of risk.

As soon as you overstay by one day, your immigration status changes to "illegal imigrant".

If you should ever have the misfortune of having a road accident at this time, it will be your fault, no matter what the circumstances.

As far as police are concerned, the accident would never of happened if you had followed immigration law and left the country.

While overstaying can sometimes be convenient, the risks are just not worth it.

Edited by Sir Burr

some of you just complain too much, If they accepted the bribe you will complain, if they go by the book then you complain.

I cant believe some of you think the penalty is harsh?? you overstay in australia you get locked up for years and sometimes over a decade without even being charged.

in Saudia Arabia they cut off your hand for stealing...so what.

Please show me any case where a tourist in Australia has been on their way to leave the country, is a few days over their visa and is arrested and locked up for months?

Edited by lingyai

You seem to have a problem with the law Rex.

The law is the law, whether you agree with it or not. If you do not like the laws of Thailand, may I suggest you find a country where their laws suit you? Whining away like a disgruntled old woman serves no purpose whatsoever. :D

Not at all. I have a problem with self-righteous people spewing platitudes ("The Law is the law!", etc.) that sound compelling, yet when examined have little or no meaning. Nothing more that an attempt to blow smoke up people's ass.

And apparently you feel that hackneyed old horse poop cliche "Love it or leave it" has meaning. Are you saying that you agree 100% with all the laws in Thailand 100% of the time? I have lived and worked in five Asian countries, plus Hawaii which is culturally distinct. In all of those places, as well as as several more I have visited, including the U.S., I have never been anyplace where that I liked everything about the country, the culture, the people, the laws and what have you. No place has even begun to come close to that. I guess I should just go live on the Moon, right?

No sir, I have no problem with "The Law." I selectively have problems with stupid laws. Are you saying that you don't have problems with stupid laws? If so, I'm worried about you! Stay away from that cool aid, man, even if a nice policeman tells you to drink it! More than those poor guys who got arrested on the bus, I feel sorry for the self-appointed authorities on this forum who are in fact imprisoned by their own rigid mind set and approach to life.

My advise is a heaping bowl of bran, tall glass of prune juice and a good night's sleep! Y'all will feel a lot more relaxed and tolerant in the morning! :o

Aloha,

Rex :D

Do yourself a favour Rex and stop expounding on what I might think, feel or say: try and focus on what I actually say. Rest assured, there is absolutely no need for you to “worry” about me should I actually happen to think along the lines your imagination suggests to you.

Whether or not I regard certain laws as “stupid” is neither here nor there. What is the point in bleating and getting heated about something you cannot change?

The simple fact you need to grasp is that the laws are there (stupid in your opinion or not) and if you break them you may have to face the consequences.

Try and absorb the above and learn to live with it!

From your rants, you come across as a bitter and twisted individual (despite your misuse of emoticons). Could it be that the hassle of having to go on a border run every 30 days with the associated cost is getting you down?

Tough luck if that is the case and if so, perhaps you should not be here.

Wherever you end up, by your own admission you will doubtless find something to moan about.

What a sad person… :D

some of you just complain too much, If they accepted the bribe you will complain, if they go by the book then you complain.

I cant believe some of you think the penalty is harsh?? you overstay in australia you get locked up for years and sometimes over a decade without even being charged.

in Saudia Arabia they cut off your hand for stealing...so what.

Please show me any case where a tourist in Australia has been on their way to leave the country, is a few days over their visa and is arrested and locked up for months?

Its not months, its years, even 10 years plus.

i dont have sources but ask any fellow aussie members and they will agree.

Its been on the news last year and was made a big deal.

Even children get locked up....doesnt matter how old you are, if you overstay in australia you will be sent to a detention centre for a long time.

Kids are even born in there.

This is truly insane, are you self righteous posters listening to yourself. I have lived in this country for 16 years, and as you all should know there is no law as per say here. Murder is the death penalty or a 10,000 baht fine, drug dealing is punishable by death or a business contract drawn up by the local police Colonel…….

Maybe just maybe not every tourist coming to this country, has the vast resources of visa and immigration you TV members have.

Over the years I have had countless overstay situations, now that I’m a resident its not really an issue . But I do remember those immigration officials licking there lips at another possible overstay fine, which I was always glad to pay.

The reality here is this should be an international incident, where is all the press? Bring in CNN, BBC. The Nation nor the Bangkok Post hasn’t printed a letter, and they wont. There scared of letting this go from both sides, immigration and tourism.

This really needs to go international, I would love to see Thaksin talk to the global public how he has 12 tourists locked up in an immigration jail facing deportation and blacklisting over a 2 day overstay.

This has nothing to do with overstays only corruption, the policeman in charge should have immediately realized the possible implications of this case, charged them with a small fine or let them go immediately, in fact they should have also transported the tourists to the boarder and assisted them to renew their visas. This case is a travesty and someone needs to take a whipping for it, may I suggest,

#1 TAT

#2 The tourists Embassies

#3 the judge that is responsible for the case

and the list goes on.

This goes right along with the story of the foreign driver getting into and accident with a drunken Thai that when through a red light, the case went against the farang with the logic that if the farang had stayed in his own country this accident would never have happened.

Now please people lets put this all in perspective, at which time do we say “no this is unfair”, “enough is enough” , “this is a travesty of justice”

Maybe our inaction is to blame………

This is truly insane, are you self righteous posters listening to yourself. I have lived in this country for 16 years, and as you all should know there is no law as per say here. Murder is the death penalty or a 10,000 baht fine, drug dealing is punishable by death or a business contract drawn up by the local police Colonel…….

Maybe just maybe not every tourist coming to this country, has the vast resources of visa and immigration you TV members have.

Over the years I have had countless overstay situations, now that I’m a resident its not really an issue . But I do remember those immigration officials licking there lips at another possible overstay fine, which I was always glad to pay.

The reality here is this should be an international incident, where is all the press? Bring in CNN, BBC. The Nation nor the Bangkok Post hasn’t printed a letter, and they wont. There scared of letting this go from both sides, immigration and tourism.

This really needs to go international, I would love to see Thaksin talk to the global public how he has 12 tourists locked up in an immigration jail facing deportation and blacklisting over a 2 day overstay.

This has nothing to do with overstays only corruption, the policeman in charge should have immediately realized the possible implications of this case, charged them with a small fine or let them go immediately, in fact they should have also transported the tourists to the boarder and assisted them to renew their visas. This case is a travesty and someone needs to take a whipping for it, may I suggest,

#1 TAT

#2 The tourists Embassies

#3 the judge that is responsible for the case

and the list goes on.

This goes right along with the story of the foreign driver getting into and accident with a drunken Thai that when through a red light, the case went against the farang with the logic that if the farang had stayed in his own country this accident would never have happened.

Now please people lets put this all in perspective, at which time do we say “no this is unfair”, “enough is enough” , “this is a travesty of justice”

Compared to australia its a slap on the wrist.

Alot of immigration officers here have been caught over the years abuseing overstayers sexually and mentally.

Alot of police are corrupt in Thailand but they are also corrupt all over the world.

But do foreign embassies in Australia and Australian immigration officers tell people they could just settle their overstay at the airport when they leave? :o

Nope, but alot ask for sexual favours which a few have been caught

Light blue touchpaper and retire to safe distance... :o

Overstay 12 still in jail, face deportation

bull2132006-4822-1.jpg

Friends and relatives visit the Ranong 12

RANONG: A group of 12 foreign tourists arrested for overstaying their visas have spent their second night sleeping on the floor of a jail cell at Ranong Police Station.

Ranong Immigration Police, who have announced that they will deport the group, say they are only following “standard procedures” and will send the 12 to an Immigration detention center in Bangkok “soon”.

The group were arrested by a team of six Highway and Tourist Police officers at about 11 on Wednesday while on their way to Ranong and Burma for a “visa run” in the well-known “Big Bus”.

The bus was in Kapoe District, just 40 kilometers from the Ranong Immigration office, when it was stopped and the 12 were separated from the other passengers on board and placed in custody.

The most that any of the 12 had overstayed was six days.

Speaking from his prison cell, one of the detainees, a 31-year-old Australian man on his second trip to Thailand, told the Gazette:

“I can’t believe what has happened. The want to send us to the Bangkok Detention Center, from where they will deport us to our home countries – all because of a one-day overstay [in my case].

It was our second night sleeping on the dirty floor, with mosquitoes. I am black and brown from dirt.”

Some members of the group had contacted their embassies, he said, but been told, “Sorry. You are being deported – there is nothing we can do, it’s all part of ‘due process’.”

He said the group members had thought they would be released after paying 1,000-baht fines at Ranong Court yesterday. But they had been misled.

“The public prosecutor told us that if we just admitted to the Court what we did and paid a 1,000-baht fine, they would let us go to Immigration and we could complete our visa trip. We paid, but when we got to Immigration they fingerprinted us and said, ‘You’re being deported – immediately’.

Jutarat Payonchart, an employee of Phenpat Co Ltd, which runs the visa run service, told the Gazette from the Ranong courthouse yesterday afternoon that the police had overreacted in incarcerating the visa runners.

“Why did they have to keep them overnight in a cell? These aren’t illegal aliens trying to hide out in the country,” she said, adding that most had overstayed by just one or two days.

Speaking from his prison cell, the Australian told the Gazette, “We sent money for the tsunami problem. We like the Thai people and want to visit – and then we got s**t on.

“We are part of one of their tours, where everyone makes money. We spend money in Phuket, we want to stay here. It’s good for the economy, good for everyone. And now we are just being s**t on.

“We’ve been treated like animals, sleeping on the ground. I’ve never been locked up before in all my life. It’s absolutely disgusting. You cannot trust the Tourist Police anymore. They are supposed to be on our side, helping us. But now they have gone against us and made a big problem for us.

“This is absolute crap, of course. They must have another agenda. Only they know what it is; I can only speculate. This is completely wrong. I have spoken to other tourist police and they say, ‘This is unbelievable.’ There are a few bad apples involved and they have created major, major problems.

“I’ve lost flights, lost my money … it’s ridiculous,” he said, adding that he did not want to give his name “at this stage” as it might jeopardize any remaining chance of regaining his freedom and avoiding deportation.

Those chances appear slim, however.

Pol Capt Weerachai Phugkesorn of the Ranong Immigration Office told the Gazette that all 12 foreigners were arrested because they had overstayed their visas.

Among those facing deportation were English, Korean, German, Vietnamese, French, Italian and Swedish nationals, none of whom had overstayed by more than six days, he admitted.

He stressed that the arrest, confinement and deportation of the tourists did not reflect a change in Ranong Immigration’s long-standing and relaxed policy when it comes to overstays.

“It’s true that if people arrive at our office and have overstayed their visas we just fine them 200 baht per day of overstay. But it was [another police division] that arrested them, not us. If they hadn’t been arrested, we would have just fined them as usual.

“The case went to court, where the judge rendered a decision. They were sent to us by the police and we are just following the provisions of the Immigration Act by transferring them to Bangkok for deportation,” Capt Weerachai said.

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, Assistant Director of TATs Region 4 Office in Phuket, said he believed the arrests would have no impact on tourism as long they were legal.

Foreign tourists would be more confident of their safety if they knew the police were carrying out their duties strictly according to the law, he added.

Source: The Phuket Gazette

As for the “banana eater” – how ridiculous can you get??? If for any reason (and there are many unexpected pitfalls) you find yourself inadvertently on the receiving end of the law you will maybe have a little more sympathy for others……pride comes before a fall…this is a country where anyone can fall foul of the law, and it doesn’t take much.

"..maybe have more sympathy"? It's not like these guys were pulled off the bus and beaten or shot. They were held in a dirty jail a few days pending deporation. These are adults we're talking about. In Thailand there's a whole lot more people higher on the sympathy list than these guys.

Would that change if I were thrown in jail? Not really, as it surprisingly wouldn't be the worst thing that's ever happened to me. Things that I've brought on myself I especially don't expect any sympathy for.

I really am serious that I and my friends would have a good laugh about this. In the big picture this would hardly rate as a tragedy for us, and I'm surprised so many think it is. I wonder if these 12 are all that traumatized? Well maybe wonder if the other 11 are. I don't have any problem with people having sympathy for these guys, but don't expect me to suddenly change my opinion should I end up in similar circumstances.

in australia, you would be put up in a nice hotel and fed on the governments tab, until your embassy could arrange things. At most a small fine when you are on your way out, lets be real here there is a big difference between a tourist overstay and an illegal immigrant taking advantage of the country its in illegally. These are toursists not illegal immigrants i think you are getting your facts mixed up here. If you are found to be taking advantage of the sytem in australia you may also be banned from returning to the country for a period of time.

But people, we are talking hard time here, dirt floor cramped jail cell, full of many illegal aliens with little hope in there lives and often little understanding of humanity. this isn't jail like back home boys this is a place where most go to die.

These are toursists not illegal immigrants

That is exactly what they were - illegal immigrants with no permission to be in Thailand. They were not tourists on the way home - they were heading for a border where there was no way to do anything but return to Thailand and continue in whatever activities they may be involved in.

I don't believe anyone would not have feelings for them if they indeed were the inadvertent tourist on there way home. But they were not.

That is exactly what they were - illegal immigrants with no permission to be in Thailand. They were not tourists on the way home - they were heading for a border where there was no way to do anything but return to Thailand and continue in whatever activities they may be involved in.

I don't believe anyone would not have feelings for them if they indeed were the inadvertent tourist on there way home. But they were not.

Succinctly put, lopburi3. :D

Why do some find it such a difficult concept to comprehend? :o

What planet are you from?

These people are not immigrating to thailand. They are only extending there stay as a tourist. My mother is visiting me on a tourist visa as it turns out she will not be returning until after her visa will expire, so we will have to extend it, im pretty sure im not going to put her on one of these buses though. But in any case you must see this for what it is, corruption and abuse of athourity winning over the public good. Sounds like an opportunity to learn and make a few changes to me, not just assume these are all unwanted people in thailand and its better for all if they just get kicked out.

The real question of course is how far will this go and at what stage could it affect me. It seems pretty obvious this is a tightning of policy or at the very least extortion gone bad, I just know i'll be keeping my head down and my hands on my wallet the next time im driving through Ranong. Which will be tomorrow as im going to visit my mother inlaw who lives there.

Would that change if I were thrown in jail? Not really, as it surprisingly wouldn't be the worst thing that's ever happened to me. Things that I've brought on myself I especially don't expect any sympathy for.

Carmine,

You are to be commended for handling adversity in such a rational and healthy way. However, in your travels, I am sure you have noticed that most are not nearly so stoic. After all, jail is intended as punishment and it is hardly surprising, therefore, that people are upset by the experience. If it includes mugging and rape by an AIDS carrier, it might not be so easy even for you to "laugh off." Certainly one can be sympathetic without being maudlin. And while these jailbirds may not need or deserve some huge outpouring of sympathy . . . neither do they need the dripping contempt and callous disregard expressed in many of these posts.

As for "bringing it on themselves", I supposed you could say that. However, I suppose you could also say that it was the cops who brought it on by targeting a bus on its way to the border. "It takes two to tango" and there are a number of issues about this bust that are at least "questionable." Not the least of which is who could have "informed" the cops since the evidence of the heinous crimes existed only in the passports of the culprits.

Aloha,

Rex

Does anyone know who pays for the flights, when they get deported????

The deportees.

Yeah, and they stay in the monkey house until they can produce a paid ticket and confirmed booking. Producing this ticket requires someone on the outside who can get it for them. If they don't have the money and an outside contact, they are f*cked!

Aloha,

Rex

To cut to the chase:-

1. Yes, they are illegal immigrants, the law is very clear.

2. The Tourist police, any police in fact, has the right to report people that have overstayed to the immigration department. Immigration is then obliged to start deportation proceedings.

3. Immigration has traditionally had a relaxed attitude to overstays and have actually been doing visa runners a huge favour over the years.

Either immigration comes into line with the police and cracks down on overstays, or, police go along with immigration to preserve the previous status quo.

One or the other, so there's no confusion.

From your rants, you come across as a bitter and twisted individual (despite your misuse of emoticons). Could it be that the hassle of having to go on a border run every 30 days with the associated cost is getting you down?

Sorry to disappoint you chum, but I have been here for eight years, most of that time on annual visas, only ever had one overstay during the entire time. And although I am neither twisted nor bitter, your name calling is unwelcome and unbecoming.

Aloha,

Rex

Sorry to disappoint you chum, but I have been here for eight years, most of that time on annual visas, only ever had one overstay during the entire time. And although I am neither twisted nor bitter, your name calling is unwelcome and unbecoming.

Aloha,

Rex

Oh I see, do as you say not as you do, is it?

Not at all. I have a problem with self-righteous people spewing platitudes ("The Law is the law!", etc.) that sound compelling, yet when examined have little or no meaning. Nothing more that an attempt to blow smoke up people's ass.

Are you saying that you don't have problems with stupid laws? If so, I'm worried about you! Stay away from that cool aid, man, even if a nice policeman tells you to drink it! My advise is a heaping bowl of bran, tall glass of prune juice and a good night's sleep! Y'all will feel a lot more relaxed and tolerant in the morning!

Aloha,

Rex :D

:o:D

Are you saying that you agree 100% with all the laws in Thailand 100% of the time? I have lived and worked in five Asian countries, plus Hawaii which is culturally distinct. In all of those places, as well as as several more I have visited, including the U.S., I have never been anyplace where that I liked everything about the country, the culture, the people, the laws and what have you. No place has even begun to come close to that. I guess I should just go live on the Moon, right?

No sir, I have no problem with "The Law." I selectively have problems with stupid laws. Are you saying that you don't have problems with stupid laws? If so, I'm worried about you!

I doubt if anyone, anywhere in the world, agrees with 100% of the laws in their Country - whether they are Citizens or tourists there.

The simple fact is that they are the Laws - and no-one has the right to choose which they will obey and which they will not.

Accept the Law, change the Law or go somewhere else.

This has nothing to do with overstays only corruption, the policeman in charge should have immediately realized the possible implications of this case, charged them with a small fine or let them go immediately, in fact they should have also transported the tourists to the boarder and assisted them to renew their visas.

An "International incident"? - please let's be realistic here.

Would any Prime Minister, in any Country, take personal notice of a few people who deliberately disregarded the Laws of his Country?

I have seen this quoted many times but frankly think it is apocryphal - a legend - if anyone can reference the actual case ...........?

"our inaction"?

What action do you propose - what rights or influence do you think you or others like you have to change the Laws in a foreign Country?

Patrick

Succinctly put, lopburi3. :D

Why do some find it such a difficult concept to comprehend? :o

How do you guys know the immigration status of these desperadoas?

From the posts that I've read, there seem to be a lot of people after 'blood', for whatever reason. Why? Do these 'wrong doers' directly affect you? If so, how? How? How? How?

All I can say is that there is already enough suffering within humanity, so why the 'blood lust'? Do we not know that suffering is bad for all concerned? Have we not all suffered at one time or another? What will one gain from these people being so harshly treated? Does one persons suffering help your life? If so, how?????? Do tell!!!!!

Were you PERSONALLY affected by these people breaking a law? I think NOT!! So why the hullabulloo? Why the need to see them suffer?

Ok, corruption is bad but what is worse? Turning Thailand into the country from which we all escaped? Give it a break guys. The 'bending of the rules' is what makes Thailand (amongst other countries) so easy in which to live. Do you really want to turn Thailand into a similar country from which you escaped? I don't!!! I'm sick of the endless rules & regs & moral christian cr*p of Australia. You can't breath in Australia without breaking a law.

Now, back to the main story.

If we are all 'caring' humans, why the bloodlust? Would we not want to be extended a little latitude if we made the same mistake? All I can say is that it seems like the Thai authorities are using western methodology to make money. So, don't blame them...blame our own greedy pig, overworked, over taxed, over priced, over moralised countries for setting this disgusting standard.

Do we not all live in a similar way? Have we not the same appendages...arms, legs, etc? Do we not all love, hate, fear, cry? Are we not the same as each other? So why put bounderies on people? Does not this planet belong to all of us? It's only MONEY that seems to separate us from each other. How sad!!!!

We come to Thailand to escape the cr*p & what do we do? We demand the same cr*p as if we were in our own tormented country. This is not realistic or reasonable.

Chucky.

First of all if you overstay 1 day your are illegal, second detention centres in australia are far from a hotel, surrounded by barbed wires and getting a small room and constantly being woken up every 2 or 3 hours by the immigration officers is not close to being a hotel. (but who would expect it to be).

Kids have also been in there for there entire lives, yes its there parents fault but does the kids have to suffer for that??

Remeber the Philipino lady she was deported back to the philipines even know she was an AUSTRALIAN citizen and she even told them but the immigration officers deported her anyway.

There are so many incidents that has happend (sexual,rape, bribes) over the years in australia so you see this incident in Thailand is not so bad.

People are making this such a big deal when this does happend everywhere

Turning Thailand into the country from which we all escaped?

And don't you try to paint us with your brush. Not all, or I dare say most, of us are on the run from another country. We are here for a multitude of reasons; and most of us are law abiding.

As foolish as this thread has become, it is an excellent one.

I was golfing with a friend who is here on vacation and I happened to mention this incident. He then told me his flight back to the UK was one day after his visa expired. He was under the false assumption that it was no big deal to overstay a day or two. Needless to say the following day he made a trip to Mai Sai. One interesting thing is that there were no Americans on the bus. Cant blame us for this.

As foolish as this thread has become, it is an excellent one

Another good point and the more who read this the better, regardless of their personal feelings. The fact is that it is a danger to overstay and everyone should be aware of that fact. It matters not what we may think about the law and its enforcement - as long as people understand the consequences they may face.