Harley Service In Cm

englishoak

Simple one realy

Would have posted in motor forum but figure you guys are in the know :D

I'll be moving north pretty soon and i'm wondering if there is anyone who can service harley davidsons in CM? I am hoping that as they have annual CM bike week that there is somewhere?

The thought of letting just anyone loose on the hog is giving me nightmares :D

i'll be going to chaing rai but figure it's got to be c mai for the service etc :o

Simple one realy

Would have posted in motor forum but figure you guys are in the know :D

I'll be moving north pretty soon and i'm wondering if there is anyone who can service harley davidsons in CM? I am hoping that as they have annual CM bike week that there is somewhere?

The thought of letting just anyone loose on the hog is giving me nightmares :D

i'll be going to chaing rai but figure it's got to be c mai for the service etc :o

There are several but the two I use are Sa Moto and the other one is run by a guy named Took. Sa Moto is on the east side of Mahidol road about 100 meters before you get to Boon Ruan Rit road. Took's shop is on Mun Muang road close to the NW moat corner. Both of these guys are reputable and have a lot of expreience working on Harleys.

Can Harleys be bought in Thailand? Aren't they a fortune? I have a Ducati and a Suzuki SV1000, is there any way to get them to Thailand without it costing a fortune?

Spleen

Harley's can be bought in Thailand and in fact, recently, a dealer has opened in Bangkok. It's called Power Station and the boss, Ross, is a great guy. Harleys do sell at a premium of cause of stupid protectoinist tariffs. For example a new softail would cost you 1-1.2 mio. There a lots of licensed second hand Harleys for sale here as well.

Regarding bringing bikes in, it can be done rather easily, the difficult part is getting them licensed. What you do is have the bike disassembled and ship it in as parts. Then you have a shop in Thailand reassemble it and get the bike licensed through back channels. For some reason, Harleys are very difficult to licensed compared to sport bikes.

BMW also sells their full range of bikes here in Thailand. I recommend you DO NOT deal with VVP in Chiang Mai as they are a bunch of idiots. BKK or Barcelona in Bangkok are reputable dealers. BMWs are great bikes, but theirr service infrastructure in Thailand is a joke i.e., they struggle to keep up with the sophistication of the machines.

Edited by JXXXL

Regarding bringing bikes in, it can be done rather easily, the difficult part is getting them licensed. What you do is have the bike disassembled and ship it in as parts. Then you have a shop in Thailand reassemble it and get the bike licensed through back channels

Beware of this if 100% legitimacy is your goal. These kind of 'back channel' ways will give you restrictions, like that you can't move the registration (a group of crooked clerks in one office, perhaps)... I tried for a few years to make my bikes 100% legit without heavy expense and conditions, but never succeeded. On close questioning, every long-time friend here has had a similar experience with their efforts.

In my experience, any bike that can get Chiang Mai plates, is legit.

The import duty on whole bikes is high (as much as 100 percent!). Those that are knocked down and reassembled are very difficult to get papers for. Again as much as 100 percent of the value pf the bike. If you want a licensed bike (and believe me, you do), you're best to buy it from a legit dealer in Thailand.

You don't want to deal with customs clearance in any event.