Airasia Confirms Bangkok-singapore Flights

george

Airasia Confirms Bangkok-Singapore Flight To Start Feb 16

KUALA LUMPUR: -- Thai AirAsia, a joint venture between Malaysia's AirAsia Sdn. Bhd. (AIA.YY) and Thailand's Shin Corp. (SHIN.TH), will fly to Singapore's Changi Airport beginning Feb. 16, AirAsia said Thursday.

"There will be one daily point-to-point flight from Don Muang Airport (Bangkok International Airport) to Changi International Airport, Singapore," the budget carrier said.

Earlier Thursday, Singapore's Streats newspaper quoted AirAsia director of flight operations, Chin Nyok San, as saying the airline has decided on one return flight a day between the two locations for now.

Chin said there hasn't been a decision yet on an evening flight, but Thai AirAsia has the right to stage two return flights a day between Bangkok and Singapore, according to the report.

The airline's flights will depart from Bangkok at 7:10 a.m. Thai time, and will arrive in Singapore at 10:30 a.m. Singapore time.

The return flight from Singapore to Bangkok will depart half an hour later, AirAsia added.

One-way fares for the route will start from 1,300 baht ($1=THB39), or S$59.99 ($1=S$1.6923), AirAsia said.

--Dow Jones 2004-02-05

Guest IT Manager

Sounds like they are pulling out the stops on knocking One, Two Go out of the race. (Orient-Thai).

I notice regarding cancellations of Orient-Thai flights, that O-T are booking passengers onto Thai and paying the difference themselves, rather than flying empty seats.

I think the decision has been made by our fearless leader to screw O-T, then up all the prices to what they are now. A person I know did a costing on the flights at todays prices and he said the seat/mile cost is around about 1,400 baht, to allow a level of maintainable profit, so it's interesting to see how long TG have been screwing the punters at 2700 or whatever the usual price is. The reduced Thai cost will not be maintained and it will be a repeat of every time someone said "lets have competition" and the government (in every location where there is a government owned carrier, including QANTAS years ago), colluded to kill the competition, rather than fight them up front, in the punters wallets.

Very sad deal in my opinion. Hope they don't get away with it. I for one will continue to fly Orient-Thai because I like their attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

AirAsia launches inaugural Singapore-Bangkok budget flight

SINGAPORE : Air travellers to Bangkok now have a cheaper alternative in AirAsia.

Its maiden flight out of Changi Airport took off at about 11.30am on Monday.

Travellers may also soon have cheap AirAsia flights to Phuket.

The flight was actually the return leg of AirAsia's flight out of Bangkok.

In just 15 minutes, the plane was ready to fly out of Changi!

And it was only about 60 percent full - some paid as little as $150 - for a return flight to Bangkok.

Among the passengers was AirAsia's Chief Executive Tony Fernandes.

He said he was emotional - possibly because he has been working hard to fly out of Singapore - and after month's of hype, it has finally happened.

But the future is a little cloudy with more Singapore-based low budget carriers coming on board.

Which is why AirAsia is anxiously waiting for its licence to operate out of Singapore to be approved.

He expects this to happen in six to nine months and then he says - AirAsia will offer a Singapore to Phuket flight.

Travellers can expect other destinations to be added.

Meantime, once the airline sorts out teething problems, it will offer two daily flights to Bangkok.

- CNA 2004-02-16

is air asia actually operating between B K and S P at this present time as i am just about to purchase 2 tickets for 10 days time there wed site seems to say yes but i am still worried about parting with cash any one help

AirAsia is indeed currently flying the BKK-SIN route. They also fly from Bangkok to Johor Bahru (JHB) which is just across the border from Singapore in Malaysia.