Wouldn't They Be Entitled To Apply For A Teachers' License?

Hello,

I've got some colleagues from An ASEAN member country, working as English teachers. They all have a degree in education, none of them a TL.As far as I know, they'd be entitled to apply for a teacher's license.

What could be the reason (s) that they don't even try to apply for one? This post is not to blackmail them, just trying to understand why they're not going the easier way.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

wai2.gif

Hello,

I've got some colleagues from An ASEAN member country, working as English teachers. They all have a degree in education, none of them a TL.As far as I know, they'd be entitled to apply for a teacher's license.

What could be the reason (s) that they don't even try to apply for one? This post is not to blackmail them, just trying to understand why they're not going the easier way.

wai2.gif

Don't know. Why not ask them?

A few ideas could be. no work permit or salary under the foreign worker threshold. Or??????

Just ask them :)

sent from my Q6

Have a Filipino friend who I used to teach with. She has a degree in education, all of the necessary subjects required, and was a teacher in the Philipplines. At first she had to get a waiver from the TCT like evreyone one else. She had all of her transcripts and teaching credentials from the Philippines and a letter from the school and applied to the TCT for a license. The only extra thing that TCT made her do was take a 20 hour Thai Culture course. She did not have to take any of the tests. She now has her teacher's license. The minimum foreign worker salary threshold did not apply because she is a teacher.

Hello,

wai2.gif

Don't know. Why not ask them?

A few ideas could be. no work permit or salary under the foreign worker threshold. Or??????

Just ask them smile.png

sent from my Q6

I won't ask them, as they're never telling me the truth. They do have a work permit, waiver still good until May 2013.

Will they have to make a TOEIC? Two of them are already three years at the school.

I know that all Filipinos in the neighboring province do have a license already. Can only think of fishy degrees. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to make them problems, just trying to understand why they are not going for it.

Thanks-wai.gif

They need to have a TOEIC and it has to be within the last 2 years. (TOEIC test have a two year validity date).

Thanks Scott! I still don't understand why they didn't apply for a TL in 2010. There was no TOEIC requirement, right?

If they are teaching for a Basic Education school--G 1 - G 12, they would usually require a TL or waiver. The Thai gov't doesn't usually cut Filipinos much slack on regulations.

Well, they're on their third waiver now. One guy's got a degree in secondary, all in a sudden in primary education.- Guess they do have a "Rectum University degree" from an unknown Manila street shop. Seems to me that they are scared shirtless to apply for a TL with their documentation.

But at least they're acting like professional teachers, even when they don't really understand native English speakers.

Wish all a good week.-wai2.gif

Reading through this thread, I think your colleagues have fake degrees. When applying for a provisional teaching permit, the degrees aren't checked. When applying for a teacher license, they are.

That's indeed the best explanation, thanks. --wai2.gif

Reading through this thread, I think your colleagues have fake degrees. When applying for a provisional teaching permit, the degrees aren't checked. When applying for a teacher license, they are.

I've just given my school my documents for my next 5 year renewal. They mentioned it takes about a month, and something about documents being checked. I wish them luck - Universities are not usually inclined to give this information to third parties (the TCT), without the permission of the graduated student. So I'm not sure what kind of checking they will be doing without my consent.

Not necessarily true. For those graduating from a US school, there is a national clearinghouse which verifies the degree. I have had degrees verified in less than 24 hours.

The only country I had a problem with was the UK and that was one university. It took a rather terse letter to the university to explain that we had in our possession 3 people with the identical signatures from 3 different years and I had interviewed a 4th person with the same situation.

Once they realized that it was the credibility of their school that was on the line, they were most cooperative.

Whether or not you attended or graduated from a school is usually a matter of public record. Your transcript and grades, are confidential.

I've been able to verify degrees from newspapers that publish the names of graduates as well as Alumni associations.

Not necessarily true. For those graduating from a US school, there is a national clearinghouse which verifies the degree. I have had degrees verified in less than 24 hours.

The only country I had a problem with was the UK and that was one university. It took a rather terse letter to the university to explain that we had in our possession 3 people with the identical signatures from 3 different years and I had interviewed a 4th person with the same situation.

Once they realized that it was the credibility of their school that was on the line, they were most cooperative.

Whether or not you attended or graduated from a school is usually a matter of public record. Your transcript and grades, are confidential.

I've been able to verify degrees from newspapers that publish the names of graduates as well as Alumni associations.

I'm Australian and have quite a number of teachers from Australia and the UK also. US teachers seem to be in the minority at my school. I'll check on the net with my university and see how they deal with requests like this.

I'm Australian and have quite a number of teachers from Australia and the UK also. US teachers seem to be in the minority at my school. I'll check on the net with my university and see how they deal with requests like this.

OK I found this for my undergrad university - http://www.griffith....-qualifications

So it seems doable. Need to check my other two universities now:)

My other University wants $20 for an academic verification letter:(

Edited by culicine

I've just given my school my documents for my next 5 year renewal. They mentioned it takes about a month, and something about documents being checked. I wish them luck - Universities are not usually inclined to give this information to third parties (the TCT), without the permission of the graduated student. So I'm not sure what kind of checking they will be doing without my consent.

Qualification Declaration Form for License Renewal Applicant

Questions that have to be answered in the form are:

• Attending an educational profession course to obtain an additional qualification.
  • Having participated in a training course and received certificate that accrediting expertise in professional practice from the Teachers’ Council of Thailand.
  • Having taken training course relevant to the performance of duty.
  • Having obtained an academic standing promotion
  • Being a resource training person on a useful topics about learning management or educational management.
  • Writing the textbooks, articles or academic reports which are beneficial to learning management or educational management.
  • Creating innovation used in learning management or educational management.
  • Doing research studies on useful issues for learning management or educational management
  • Having been awarded by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand or other educational agency.
  • Having attended the lecture, discussion, conference, workshop, seminar or any meeting which the registration of attendance can be shown.
  • Having completed a study tour or training course on the topics of the professional practices.
  • Completing academic works or other activities which are beneficial to learning management or educational management.

http://www.ksp.or.th...l Applicant.pdf