Where To Buy A Blackberry

unforgettable_thai

More popular in Thailand are the O2 Mini and the HP iPaq. The fashion now is to have as few buttons as possible on the outside of the box. and both of these models use virtual keyboards rather than the older Blackberry technology (hard keys). I have an O2 mini and like it. One big advantage to virtual keyboards is that you can set them up for any language font, thus I can switch back and forth between Thai and English. There's also the option of using handwriting recognition, which works quite well on the O2.

I bought mine at Zoom on the 3rd (or 4th? not sure) floor of Airport Plaza, around THB28K.

More popular in Thailand are the O2 Mini and the HP iPaq. The fashion now is to have as few buttons as possible on the outside of the box. and both of these models use virtual keyboards rather than the older Blackberry technology (hard keys). I have an O2 mini and like it. One big advantage to virtual keyboards is that you can set them up for any language font, thus I can switch back and forth between Thai and English. There's also the option of using handwriting recognition, which works quite well on the O2.

I bought mine at Zoom on the 3rd (or 4th? not sure) floor of Airport Plaza, around THB28K.

But do these units will not work with a Mac computer, right?

But do these units will not work with a Mac computer, right?

I don't know. Aren't most files these dates cross-platform compatible?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone know where you can buy a blackberry or a treo in ChiangMai? and about how much do they cost?

I bought a Blackberry Pearl not long ago from DCO Computers Pattaya. They have moved recently to Chaiyapruk Road 2, Jomptien. They gave me a guide book on how to sign up: options are True Move or AIS. As the Pearl is EDGE capable I went with AIS.

I have also seen Blackberry products on the EdgeThailand website. I have never seen the Pearl for sale other than on this site and at DCO.

Hope this helps,

Art

I just got myself an ASUS P525 for 15900 baht at N.A. Computer, Airport Plaza, CM - including a 2 GB memory card.

It is equipped with Windows Mobile, has a physical keyboard and a joystick similar to a mobile phone, but also options for handwriting recognition (Thai and English) and a software keyboard which you tap with a stylus. Pre-installed programs include Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Skype (very handy to use in a wireless network environment for calling abroad with Skype Out), MS Outlook and MSN messenger.

The battery time is about 30 hours if you do not use WiFi. With heavy use of WiFi and not choosing the power saving option, the battery time is about 8-9 hours.

The touch screen response to tapping is great and the internal speaker is also quite impressive for such a small device.

ASUS also have models including GPS functionality, but expect those to set you back another 5000-9000 baht.

I just got myself an ASUS P525 for 15900 baht at N.A. Computer, Airport Plaza, CM - including a 2 GB memory card.

It is equipped with Windows Mobile, has a physical keyboard and a joystick similar to a mobile phone, but also options for handwriting recognition (Thai and English) and a software keyboard which you tap with a stylus. Pre-installed programs include Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Skype (very handy to use in a wireless network environment for calling abroad with Skype Out), MS Outlook and MSN messenger.

The battery time is about 30 hours if you do not use WiFi. With heavy use of WiFi and not choosing the power saving option, the battery time is about 8-9 hours.

The touch screen response to tapping is great and the internal speaker is also quite impressive for such a small device.

ASUS also have models including GPS functionality, but expect those to set you back another 5000-9000 baht.

Meadish, have you tried skype with it yet? Wondering how good the quality is with a decent wi-fi around. really looking out for something like what you have bought. Other options are of course HP512 Voice Messenger (HP510 in USA), HTC Touch and of course the Dopods.

The HP is the cheapest of the lot at THB10,900. hmmm

TB

Tigerbeer, I have used Skype through my own wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604-T) throughout the whole house and out into the driveway (the router is upstairs in the opposite end of the house) and have to say I am very impressed with the sound quality. (Both computer to computer, and using SkypeOut to call internationally to Sweden is good quality).

Upstairs, it is almost indistinguishable from a headset directly plugged into the computer. Downstairs, some small glitches now and then, but still as good as a general mobile phone connection.

2 things to note though: As I wrote earlier, when using WiFi the battery is depleted faster. Also, Skype voice chat is not likely to work properly with just your regular GPRS connection, you really do need something faster.

Tigerbeer, I have used Skype through my own wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604-T) throughout the whole house and out into the driveway (the router is upstairs in the opposite end of the house) and have to say I am very impressed with the sound quality. (Both computer to computer, and using SkypeOut to call internationally to Sweden is good quality).

Upstairs, it is almost indistinguishable from a headset directly plugged into the computer. Downstairs, some small glitches now and then, but still as good as a general mobile phone connection.

2 things to note though: As I wrote earlier, when using WiFi the battery is depleted faster. Also, Skype voice chat is not likely to work properly with just your regular GPRS connection, you really do need something faster.

Meadish, thing is i use skype a lot! I don't use GPRS at all, its good for regular web browsing etc. especially when you are somewhere without ADSL. What I was looking at initially was a Wi-Fi phone. Belkin Skype phone is selling around 5,900 baht at IT City but you would be confined to just wi-fi spots that do not need a login via a web browser. A PDA phone is however something else. But the question would be the stability of any VOIP or Skype softwares running on the phone and the OS itself. Thats why I asked about the quality although 50% of it really depends on how fast your ADSL is. Skype on Win Mobile is still beta no?

Just a little skeptical about buying a PDA phone as I had some very bad experiences with a HP h6300 series that hanged at every instance. Am still not able to connect that phone to any wi-fi spot. after all these years ! Its lying in the drawer by the way. Trying to get my wife to buy the HP 512 Voice Messenger cause it would suit her needs perfectly. She wants a Nokia instead :o

Meadish, thing is i use skype a lot! I don't use GPRS at all, its good for regular web browsing etc. especially when you are somewhere without ADSL. What I was looking at initially was a Wi-Fi phone. Belkin Skype phone is selling around 5,900 baht at IT City but you would be confined to just wi-fi spots that do not need a login via a web browser. A PDA phone is however something else. But the question would be the stability of any VOIP or Skype softwares running on the phone and the OS itself. Thats why I asked about the quality although 50% of it really depends on how fast your ADSL is. Skype on Win Mobile is still beta no?

Just a little skeptical about buying a PDA phone as I had some very bad experiences with a HP h6300 series that hanged at every instance. Am still not able to connect that phone to any wi-fi spot. after all these years ! Its lying in the drawer by the way. Trying to get my wife to buy the HP 512 Voice Messenger cause it would suit her needs perfectly. She wants a Nokia instead :o

Skype really works fine with my combination of ASUS PDA, DLink router with either WEP encryption or unencrypted WiFi. I tried with WPA encryption too since both the router and the ASUS PDA have options for it, but for some reason I still have not managed to get it to work.

There is a chance the problem is that I have not succeeded in setting up my router correctly though. Wireless networking is new to me so I am reading up on it as I go along.

Does anyone know where you can buy a blackberry or a treo in ChiangMai? and about how much do they cost?

You might get Blackberries from the various farms associated with growing temperate fruits in the higher altitudes - this would assume you can negotiate in real D'tai as opposed to Thai.

Trio's are rumoured to be available from various locations commencing from John's Place all along Loy Kroa Road as far as the river - Rumour Central says the khatoeys are looking for a "third hand" to join in the daily midnight shower show at John's Place in order to liven up the act for the approaching high season.

But all of the above is "alledgedly" of course :o

Gaz

• 7 months later...

So has anyone bought a Blackberry in Chiang Mai? If so, I'd be interested to know if you got it at a shop or from a service provider (AIS, True, etc), what models were available, the plan, and whether everything works as it should.

I'm in the market for one and have seen the internet ads by AIS for their devices and plans. What I really need is reliable push mail that works seamlessly throughout countries in the region, as well as built-in voip capability.

I think Blackberries don't make sense unless you work for a US (most likely) company that uses their system. As a consumer you're basically left with a not-very-smart smartphone. Nokia does those much better. (As well as generally being very dependable phones). Note that Nokia smartphones (N or E series) do Skype just fine as well, especially the models that have WiFi. Look into Fring and Nimbuzz, this brings all popular VOIP/Instant Message systems together including MSN, Skype, SIP and all the other chat providers.

The only other one I'd look into for *consumer* use is the Apple iPhone, though even for consumer use those still has a lot of limitations (in addition to a lot of really nice features, too). But some of the limitations are really bone-headed.. I mean, if you enter an address for your contact, it doesn't offer 'Thailand' in the list of countries.. I mean, seriously..

I think Blackberries don't make sense unless you work for a US (most likely) company that uses their system. As a consumer you're basically left with a not-very-smart smartphone. Nokia does those much better. (As well as generally being very dependable phones). Note that Nokia smartphones (N or E series) do Skype just fine as well, especially the models that have WiFi. Look into Fring and Nimbuzz, this brings all popular VOIP/Instant Message systems together including MSN, Skype, SIP and all the other chat providers.

The only other one I'd look into for *consumer* use is the Apple iPhone, though even for consumer use those still has a lot of limitations (in addition to a lot of really nice features, too). But some of the limitations are really bone-headed.. I mean, if you enter an address for your contact, it doesn't offer 'Thailand' in the list of countries.. I mean, seriously..

I've got to disagree here. I have owned many "smart" phones, Nokia, O2, Sony Ericsson etc etc. But my Blackberry Pearl is by far the best when considering practicality, ease of use, size and cost. Admitidly I only really want my smart phone to send/recieve emails and other basic functions.

Edited by ashacat

Hi, I appreciate the comments, but the reason I resurrected this thread was to find out if anyone had experience buying a Blackberry in Chiang Mai. I am aware of the debates over smartphones: different people prefer different devices for reasons of function, value, durability, etc.

By the way, here's a link to AIS's pushmail promotion: http://www.smartsolutions.ais.co.th/AISPus...tion/index.html

Does anybody know if it is still a requirement here in the "land of smiles" to have a work permit to enable you to get a contract with the mobile phone providers ie. DTAC, AIS etc?

If this is still the case, is it possible to get email and web facilities using a pay as you go SIM card?

Many thanks :o