How To Work With Bangkok Real Estate Agents?

Hi

I will soon be looking to rent an apartment in Bangkok, but I am unclear on the best way to work with real estate agents.

I have lived in Singapore for many years, and real estate agents there have access to a huge database of properties available to rent. So, you find one real estate agent you trust, and he/she can access almost all available rental properties.

I don't think it works that way in Bangkok, does it?

I don't have the time to discuss my needs with a dozen different agents, but on the other hand, I do want to review a range of apartments. I am also an agent in my own business, and I know there is nothing worse that putting in a lot of effort, then lose the deal to someone else.

So, how does the "system" work in Bangkok?

Can I work with only one agent and still be able to review most available properties?

Thanks for any help

Hi

I will soon be looking to rent an apartment in Bangkok, but I am unclear on the best way to work with real estate agents.

I have lived in Singapore for many years, and real estate agents there have access to a huge database of properties available to rent. So, you find one real estate agent you trust, and he/she can access almost all available rental properties.

I don't think it works that way in Bangkok, does it?

I don't have the time to discuss my needs with a dozen different agents, but on the other hand, I do want to review a range of apartments. I am also an agent in my own business, and I know there is nothing worse that putting in a lot of effort, then lose the deal to someone else.

So, how does the "system" work in Bangkok?

Can I work with only one agent and still be able to review most available properties?

Thanks for any help

Depends on your price range. If you are looking high end like 50-200k a month I would recommend a high quality agency with English speaking thai staff. The commission will be paid by landlord and reflected in price. I then assume company pays and you don't want to waste time.

If you are on your own budget you will likely find better options looking on Mr room finder prakard Craigslist once you have narrowed down the areas you want to live or just drive bike around and ask the jurisdiction persons office staff for lets. It will be easier to negotiate the rent at the lower end say 10-30k excluding apartments if you deal with jurisdiction office or owner. It will be harder outside bts mrt accessible areas without thai language.

Sent from my GT-P6200L using Thaivisa Connect App

Choose an English speaking agent, tell them your requirements, if they havent a suitable property listed they should find you a selection to view. Vendors pay commissions and its a bit of a myth that you pay more. Using an agent means you are not dealing direct with the vendor, thus making it easier for any problems with the apartment and knowing you will be refunded your security deposit. A quick Google search should bring up a few.

Thanks for both responses. Let me clarify a bit further.

• I am on my own budget, 25-35k price range
  • Do not want to deal direct with an owner or drive round on a motor bike
  • I want 100% to have a real estate agent involved
  • I have dozens of estate agent names, and looked at dozens of website
  • I have a very precise idea of what and where I want
  • I know that owners pay agents a commission out of the rental fee

My question is more about whether working with ONE agent, can she get me introduced to all (or most) properties?? Or can she only show me the properties she has listed??

If I ask an estate agent this question, then of course they will say "yes, no problem, I can show you any property"........but she would say this, wouldn't she. Then she tells me "sorry, those other ones are already rented" and only shows me the limited supply that she has herself.

I am trying to understand the structure of the industry, because then I will understand the reality behind what any agent tells me

Thanks again

we will show properties in our list first. If you have specific as this condo, only 2 bedrooms, budget, we will find this one for you by checking from our client on the list or coordinate with others.

In m,y expereis , I will re-check our properties on the list before we present to the client. However, I oftens get the case as in the morning, the room is still avaliable, I confirmed to inspect the room in the afternoon and got the info that the room was rented out.

I have some apartment to introduce to you. If you interest in it please, mail me at email removed. I will re-check the avaliable and send all details to you.

we will show properties in our list first. If you have specific as this condo, only 2 bedrooms, budget, we will find this one for you by checking from our client on the list or coordinate with others.

In m,y expereis , I will re-check our properties on the list before we present to the client. However, I oftens get the case as in the morning, the room is still avaliable, I confirmed to inspect the room in the afternoon and got the info that the room was rented out.

Edited by Crossy
email removed per forum rules

This is the key point........"show properties in our list first" and "Co-ordinate with others"

I want someone to show me a range or properties that match my very specific requirements, not just "properties on their list". I am happy to put the effort in to produce a very specific set of requirements, so that I don't waste agents time.

Do you get the same commission if you show me a property on someone else's website? If not, then you are never going to show me the best property for me.....you will only show me the best property for me on your list.

In Singapore, agents co-broke all the time. That is just the way the system works in Singapore. So, as a customer in Singapore, I know that one good agent can introduce me to almost all properties........not just "ones on her list"....so I don't need to waste time discussing with dozens of agents to see a wide range of properties.

If that does not happen in Bangkok, that is OK....I just want to know.

I have already had one agent tell me "yes, no problem"......but I don't believe her!

Most agents will only show you their properties especially since agents are only paid a fraction of the commission(sub-agents, those who work under the principals, often receive only 25-33%). Some will co-broker with other agents. Many agencies don't want to co-broker but some will if the rentals are at least 20k baht-it varies. The advantage of big agencies is they should have more listings. The disadvantage is that if you are looking for a less expensive apartment, you will either be a low priority or be ignored. Smaller agencies will have smaller inventories of course, however, you can get more responsive service with the right agency since you are generally dealing with the principals.

Going to the juristic office to get a condo can have its advantages, however, most people don't realize that the juristic offices receive a full commission for their customers unless its an older condominium building. They will write up the contract and quietly receive a commission, however, most won't assist if the owner isn't helpful or fails to return the deposit. Of course, apartment buildings are managed by the owner of the building, so direct contact with apartments is fine, if you know where to go.

Most agents will only show you their properties especially since agents are only paid a fraction of the commission(sub-agents, those who work under the principals, often receive only 25-33%). Some will co-broker with other agents. Many agencies don't want to co-broker but some will if the rentals are at least 20k baht-it varies. The advantage of big agencies is they should have more listings. The disadvantage is that if you are looking for a less expensive apartment, you will either be a low priority or be ignored. Smaller agencies will have smaller inventories of course, however, you can get more responsive service with the right agency since you are generally dealing with the principals.

Going to the juristic office to get a condo can have its advantages, however, most people don't realize that the juristic offices receive a full commission for their customers unless its an older condominium building. They will write up the contract and quietly receive a commission, however, most won't assist if the owner isn't helpful or fails to return the deposit. Of course, apartment buildings are managed by the owner of the building, so direct contact with apartments is fine, if you know where to go.

Thanks. Very helpful analysis.

<<<The advantage of big agencies is they should have more listings. The disadvantage is that if you are looking for a less expensive apartment, you will either be a low priority or be ignored.>>>

Would you say 25-30k a month is on most companies radar? Or probably borderline?

Sure. Following the requirment, we do the co-broke while ,as mauiguy90 said, sometimes. we can't coordinate with very big big companies. However, we will introduce the one is the most same required if we have it first. If the client doesn't interest or require others, we will dot the co-broke for the client requirement.

Their are plenty of 25-30K places they will be happy to show you , most large places will have a number of different people showing different places and you can find who they are at the main office. Most people will be happy to take you around in their car to whatever they have you might be interested in.

30K is more than enough to get their attention and decent service you can easily rent a house for that in bangkok as well.

They are not going to show you places they are not involved with anymore than anyplace else would.

The amount you are willing to pay would be closer to the high side of normal than the low side.

Borederline would be 10-15K

If you find a buliding you like but the places are not what you want just ask at the main office for more agents names and they will come and show you what they have. The building will have some and a number of agents will have some more , a little slow and cumbersome but thats pretty much how it works here.

To give you more of an idea of your worth as a renter , you could rent a decent house in the back of some gated places with mulit million dollar homes near the front. 30K is probabbly more of an intrest than you think.

Edited by MrRealDeal

Their are plenty of 25-30K places they will be happy to show you , most large places will have a number of different people showing different places and you can find who they are at the main office. Most people will be happy to take you around in their car to whatever they have you might be interested in.

30K is more than enough to get their attention and decent service you can easily rent a house for that in bangkok as well.

They are not going to show you places they are not involved with anymore than anyplace else would.

The amount you are willing to pay would be closer to the high side of normal than the low side.

Borederline would be 10-15K

If you find a buliding you like but the places are not what you want just ask at the main office for more agents names and they will come and show you what they have. The building will have some and a number of agents will have some more , a little slow and cumbersome but thats pretty much how it works here.

To give you more of an idea of your worth as a renter , you could rent a decent house in the back of some gated places with mulit million dollar homes near the front. 30K is probabbly more of an intrest than you think.

Thanks, very helpful again.

So, in summary:

- There is no central database of properties available for rent that all estate agents have access to, like in Singapore

- I am going to have to work with more that 1 agent, because no 1 agent can possible have all properties on their list

- Some agents will co-broke, but I should not assume that will happen

I am sales agent in my own line of work, so I know how frustrating it can be sometimes to find that the client is shopping around with dozens of other agents.....I am just trying to not waste everyone's time (and my own!)

I will be looking for a 1-2 bedroom condo, 70-90 sqm, Sukhumvit 11-19, or 10-14. I have a very good idea of what I like, so I will write that down in detail, so that agents can tell quickly if they have something suitable or not.

Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback wai2.gif

In a nutshell Kevin, the system isn't like the one you mentioned in your OP.

Most agents will have their own listings and will show you what they can make the

most commission on first.

You have to make yourself known to many agents to get a broader spectrum offered to you.

In a nutshell Kevin, the system isn't like the one you mentioned in your OP.

Most agents will have their own listings and will show you what they can make the

most commission on first.

You have to make yourself known to many agents to get a broader spectrum offered to you.

Yep, that was the objective of my post....to understand if the system was the same or different to what I was used to in Singapore.

Thanks again to all

• 3 weeks later...

went to a fairly professional sgency in bkk with online listings i wanted to see.

they required i take the listings they choose, rather then me going through them and telling them what i wanted.

rationale was that they had to check on availability. in pther words the online listings were not current snd many were not available.

after getting their emails of availabilities (all slightly higher in rent then my stated max) told them i did not have time to review ongoing emails of properties that did not suit my needs for one reason or another.