Krabi Police Clamp Down On Noisy Motorbikes

webfact

Krabi Police clamp down on noisy motorbikes

Phuket Gazette

k.jpeg

READY TO RUMBLE. Krabi Governor Prasit and Maj Gen Nantadech oversee the crushing of the illegally modified exhaust pipes. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Krabi Police destroyed more than 600 illegal motorbike exhaust pipes seized during police checks across the bay from Phuket in September.

At a ceremony on Tuesday to mark the culmination of a campaign entitled “Youths join together: ride motorbikes without modified exhaust pipes”, Krabi Governor Prasit Osathanon and Krabi Police Commander Nantadech Yoinuan witnessed the crushing of the impounded modified exhaust pipes.

“The destruction of these pipes is part of a greater Royal Thai Police campaign to stamp out illegal [exhaust] pipe modifications,” said Maj Gen Nantadech.

Krabi City Traffic Police Piyarat Buakhao, who is in charge of the project locally, said that many youths created excessive noise by fitting non-standard exhaust pipes to their motorbikes.

“Some youths handed over the illegal pipes to police. Other modified pipes were confiscated after arrests. We will carry on with checks for illegal pipes to put a stop to the noise pollution they make.” Lt Col Piyarat said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ikes-19519.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-22

Do you think they could do the same with some of the longtail boats exhaust

When I lived on Phi Phi a campaign was started to have mufflers fitted to the longtails. The longtail drivers argued that it would rob the engines of power and increase fuel consumption so it was a non starter.

Soupdragon.

When I lived on Phi Phi a campaign was started to have mufflers fitted to the longtails. The longtail drivers argued that it would rob the engines of power and increase fuel consumption so it was a non starter.

Well the campaigners should have started by educating the longtail drivers and they might have succeeded.

1. No exhaust means no "back pressure". No "back pressure" means unburnt fuel comes out with the exhaust gases. Unburnt fuel means less power and higher fuel consumption.
  2. A properly designed exhaust system can increase power and economy by up to 10% or 15% or more.Just look at how an F1 Grand Prix car loses power with a broken exhaust often being forced to retire

Obviously the kids won't worry about wasting fuel when they do wheelies four up on the bike in heavy traffic. Daddy or mummy will give them anothe THB100 to fill up their scooter.

• Like 1

Soupdragon.

Well the campaigners should have started by educating the longtail drivers and they might have succeeded.

1. No exhaust means no "back pressure". No "back pressure" means unburnt fuel comes out with the exhaust gases. Unburnt fuel means less power and higher fuel consumption.
  2. A properly designed exhaust system can increase power and economy by up to 10% or 15% or more.Just look at how an F1 Grand Prix car loses power with a broken exhaust often being forced to retire

Obviously the kids won't worry about wasting fuel when they do wheelies four up on the bike in heavy traffic. Daddy or mummy will give them anothe THB100 to fill up their scooter.

Hmm, now do you see why that is a non-starter?

Nice move, as I see these a**holes every day in Krabi. Will it help??? No, not one bit! They WILL get their new exhausts anyway....

It is just another show to let the 'people' know where the Thai priorities lay. I wish from the bottom of my heart that loud exhausts pipes were the biggest problem in Thailand... Can we PLEASE get on with solving some REAL problems in Thailand?!?!?

• Like 1