Trang Islands

Harryvb

Hallo Moonhunteruk and Florin and of course anybody else

We visit Trang in december 2004 for a couple of hours when we where on the way to koh lanta (nighttrain from bangkok)

We are from Belgium and we were sorry that we have to leave Trang on such a short notice ( we booked at Koh Lanta)

We decides to visit Trang and the surrounding islands for 2 weeks in (begin)April so we really appraised any recommendation from you.

Our plan is to fly in with nok air and then spend a week ore 2 on the surrounding islands and a couple of days at Trang and the surroundings.

So please i you have any info that can help us let us now.

We are not young but also not old , we have 2 boys one 25 and one 22 so we can talk with older people and younger people.

We are a bit afraid to go back at the Andaman sea because we where in Kao Lak one week for the tsunami.

But anyway i have to come to the point when we want to visit the islands where do we start ?

First let me tell you we are living in Antwerp a very crowded town so we looking to relax one the islands , snorkeling or hiking or biking during day time and having a beer before go to sleep.

We hope you can point us in the right direction.

Regards from Belgium

Adrienne and Harry

Hello Adrienne and Harry

Well you have picked a great time to come to Trang as the weather is roasting (well should be).

Ok there are many Islands surrounding Trang which gives you great options.

For a very quiet time (very quiet) i would recommend Koh Hai, it is a beautiful island with a very nice beach and clear waters, also there is Koh Kradan which is very good for coral and snorkling.

Another island that you must visit is Koh Mook they have some nice beaches and the Emerald cave is amazing.

But i could keep telling you about destinations all morning so i would recommend that on arrival in Trang book yourself into a hotel for the night which are very cheap then vist my friend who has a tour company near the train station, he is a very nice, honest and trustworthy guy, he will give you honest information on every Island and resort in and around the islands of Trang. (speaks very good English also)

He works at the SEA BREEZE CAFE next door to the train station and his name is (YAI)

Hope you have a great time in Trang

Moonhunter :o

Thanks Moonhunter, we will contact him on arrival probably on 3 April , we are waiting to book the flight to trang on the website from nokair , its only go to end march so far.

Do you have a name of a clean hotel with a good breakfast , always hungry when traveling :o

Is there a nightmarket in trang ?

Thanks Moonhunter, we will contact him on arrival probably on 3 April , we are waiting to book the flight to trang on the website from nokair , its only go to end march so far.

Do you have a name of a clean hotel with a good breakfast , always hungry when traveling :o

Is there a nightmarket in trang ?

No wories, and yes there is a good hotel, if you try the Trang Hotel itself cheap local and resonable.

Also there is a night market 2 mins from thehotel andthe train station is about thesame the other way.

Good luck

Mike

Trang Hotel is rightnest the clock tower in the center of Trang, not the Trang Plaza. You will not need to book the Trang Hotel, just turn up and check in.

If you want i can go and check definate prices and availability of rooms.

Just let me know your dats and i will do it.

Mike

Hey David

We arriving in bangkok on 2 April and we want to fly on 3 April to Trang, i still waiting to book or flight on the nokair website , so far April is not possible only till the end of march.

I think we going to spend the first night(s) in Trang and talk to Yai or another agency or a TAT office to see wat best for us , we like to travel solo not in a group so maybe it is not a good idea to go with an agency.

If you pas Trang hotel please step inside and ask about te rates , thanks for offering.

See you

Adrienne and Harry

Hi again its Mike by the way LOL

I will go to the hotel today and get some rates for you.

With regards to booking you trips in and around Trang, the reason i said go to see Yai is that what ever you want to do or where ever you want to go he will help you, they do group tours or he can book your accom and travel arrangements so you travel alone.

I will come back to you this afternoon with the rates for Trang Hotel

Chok Dee from sunny Trang

MIKE :o

Yo Mike ,just finished night shift i don't now were i get the David from :o sorry.

Even we like to travel on ore one we always can use the help of a local protagonist , we can not get that info out of the LP so we be happy to meet Yai.

Chok Dee from hard raining Belgium.

Harry , Adrienne.

My opinion.......

Last time I looked at the rooms at the Trang Hotel, they were pretty horrible - smelled bad etc. I was quoted a price (I think) of 550bht a night but that was for staying for a few weeks.

The best hotel is the Tumrin Thanee, I think you'd get a room for a about 1400-1500baht a night and I know you'll find it on the internet. Also the Wattana Park Hotel and MP Resort Hotel are on the net but both are not as central.

Trang is easy to get around and organise a trip to the islands...just spent the long weekend at Koh Mook - high season and long weekend so it was PACKED - sometimes there were up to 10 people on the beach at the same time!!!

My opinion.......

Last time I looked at the rooms at the Trang Hotel, they were pretty horrible - smelled bad etc. I was quoted a price (I think) of 550bht a night but that was for staying for a few weeks.

The best hotel is the Tumrin Thanee, I think you'd get a room for a about 1400-1500baht a night and I know you'll find it on the internet. Also the Wattana Park Hotel and MP Resort Hotel are on the net but both are not as central.

Trang is easy to get around and organise a trip to the islands...just spent the long weekend at Koh Mook - high season and long weekend so it was PACKED - sometimes there were up to 10 people on the beach at the same time!!!

Ok very true about the Trang Hotel, cant say that i've stayed there cause i live here just reports from friends that have. All depends what you want, If you want to stay central and are only in Trang for one night then i would still recomend the Trang Hotel of The Thumarin next to the station which also has rooms at 500 bht a night.

Thumarin Thana is proberly the best hotel in Trang and is still over priced for what you get, again the rooms are nothing special and how long do you stay in a hotel room neway come to think of it. So why not Stay at the Trang or Thumarin hotel be in the centre save a little money and use it as beer tokens.

But really its all down to Harry and family what they want.

Talking about Koh Mook and how busy it is, i was at Sea Breeze yesterday and i was surprised the amount of farrang that were in Trang.

But harry i hope this gives you some ideas.

By the way the Thumarin and the Thumarin Thana are two different hotels.

Mike

Yes, the Thumarin near the railway station looks OK and it had a banner flying on it the other day - 380bht for room and ABF!! That could be the best option.

I suggested The Thumrin Thanee because for people coming from overseas and earning real money and not baht, hotels in Thailand are relatively cheap.

Hi guys

It is good to have different opinions don't worry about it , we always check first before we take a room and i don't think hotels will be full on a Monday morning, i am going to let Adrienne having a coffee is seabreeze will i am checking them out.

We are now thinking to travel from Trang to Taraturo national Park and after go to Langkawi for a couple of days , that way we can see a little bit from Malaysia as well.

So can you point me in the right direction how to get there please ?

Chok Dee from raining Belgium.

Harry , Adrienne.

Where did you stay on the island ?

Do you go there via Pakmeng pier or Kuan Tunggu Pier ?

Can you give some tips about the island ?

Harry

Hi guys

It is good to have different opinions don't worry about it , we always check first before we take a room and i don't think hotels will be full on a Monday morning, i am going to let Adrienne having a coffee is seabreeze will i am checking them out.

We are now thinking to travel from Trang to Taraturo national Park and after go to Langkawi for a couple of days , that way we can see a little bit from Malaysia as well.

So can you point me in the right direction how to get there please ?

Chok Dee from raining Belgium.

Harry , Adrienne.

Ok

Three way of getting down to Malaysia, one you could fly which saves alot of time messing around with buses and border control, obviously more expensive but not alot because there are some very cheap deals to KL and other places.

Another option would be by mini van, very cheap but maybe a bit cramped, plus if you have a lot of luggage might not be the best solution.\

Last option would be by VIP bus not sure on prices but still very cheap, but it does take bloody ages, and dont know if its just me, but i cant sleep on those things, and it is sooo boring.

Well hope this gives you some ideas. If you wanted to check flights go to www.airasia.com i think the airport tax is more expensive than the actual ticket.

Well have fun

Mike

The Emerald Cave is Trang's James Bond Island. It's crowded, noisy and the government put a stupid sign on the beach telling everyone how beautiful the place is. It was more beautiful without the stupid sign, which of course, has some very bad spelling.

The coral around Ko Kradan has been trampled to death by tourists and fishermen. The only bungalows on Ko Kradan are run by a racist.

Ko Ngai is expensive and the coral is all but gone.

I guess that compared to non-tropical destinations it's nice, but it has been devastated over the past decade. The sand is still white and the water is still blue, but that's the only thing left worth seeing.

Hallo

I was more thinking to take a bus and then the boot to Langkawi because there is no airport on Langkawi.

I read from others that by boat it take One hour from Satun to Langkawi but i don't now where to take the boot , Tammalang or from Pakbara ?

Harry