Truemove H Prepaid 3G - Where And What To Buy?

farrol

Hi guys,

sorry for this vague question, I couldn't figure out the TrueMove web page.

I would like to buy a TrueMove H SIM with unlimited data plan (3G), 1 GB/month highspeed + unlimited data at a lower speed would be fine.

I will be in Thailand for 3 months and it would be great if I could extend the SIM's validity by a year so I can keep my phone number until my next visit to Thailand.

Where in BKK should I buy this?

And what is the best plan to get?

Cheers, Farrol

The sim cards should be bought at any TrueMove shop. Not sure if they still hand out the prepaid True H cards for free at the airport. But they are 99 baht and will usually come with 100mb or so of free internet so you can test the service before topping up. With VAT, unlimited internet with 1GB fair use is appx 631 baht? Someone else can chime in with more experience on the pricing; not sure if my price charts are still accurate, they may have additional plans by now. The website isn't as straightforward with a single price list as it used to be. The english pages can take some time to be updated, the thai version equivilant is the one to double-check. The list format is similar, so even if it is in an image format (and cannot use google translate or thai friend is not nearby), you can get the gist of what USSD/SMS codes apply to what plan, and what to sign up for.

The trueMove H sims only have 60 day MAX validity from the last major activity (adding funds, using internet or sim). I had a hack where you can extend the validity by doing a simple check somewhere that was free (check balance). Not sure if you used the connection card software or you used the SMS code to request balance or wifi password. I havent used it in months, so I do not know if this hack still works. I call it a hack because normally you need to top up with actual money to get extensions of validity.

post-109486-0-69665800-1343534639_thumb.

post-109486-0-17398900-1343533106_thumb.

That second image has a promotion from kasikorn bank. Not sure how long that will last for, but is a good price for 1gb.

Where else to buy sim card? 7-11, Family Mart (maybe), tesco, Big C (maybe), Jay Mart, TG phone shop, or some of the major retail shops like power buy and AUTHORIZED major phone dealers (Samsung, Nokia, HTC, etc). But 7-11 should be more than sufficient. Sim card should not be more than 100 baht, and might be free if bought with a dongle or other promotion.

Maybe better to get My by Cat MyClick 590 (631 w/VAT)? Unlimited with 4GB fair use cap. After cap is reached, speed is throttled to 384 kbps, which is actually acceptable for looking at websites, checking email, etc. Post paid (need passport and maybe guesthouse/apt address to mail the bills to, but you could suspend service for up to 6-12 months (someone can confirm this)? I think you need to go in person and fill out a form to suspend or renew service. (maybe you can do it via email with a scanned copy of passport).

Remember, true h/my cat uses 850 Mhz for 3g (UTMS), so make sure your phone or dongle supports that.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/toppings/italk/entry/653

Note the Net 350 plan is hard-capped, so be prepared to pay by the min or KB when you go over that cap. Maybe a Net 450, Net 550, Net 799 or Net 899 plan would be better?

You can buy a TrueMove H SIM pretty much anywhere, this Net SIM 3G+ sells for 99 baht. It has a rolling 60 day expiration date, so any top-up, originated call or SMS extends the date to +60 days. Even though ti is targeted at data apps (air-card, tablet) it can be used in any device, and any mobile data plan can be layered onto it. Calls are 1.50 baht/min so not the best rate available.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/317/NET_SIM_3G_%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9C%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%89%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%8A%E0%B9%89%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%95

When you arrive at the airport, after getting your baggage, just go outside and go to the True shop right there in the Airport building.

They'll set you up with everything within 5 minutes. I think they'll accept a VISA card but if not easy to get money there too with ATMs and money changers around. They'll sign you up for the correct packages and so on as well, you just tell them you want a prepaid SIM and a 1GB / 350 baht package and give them the money. They'll put the SIM in your phone too etc.

Easiest way to do it IMO.

I am not sure what you have to do for the 1 year expiration but here is how I think it would work: You just add 1000 baht to your balance right away. That way you get 1 year expiry. Then you use the balance for the 350 baht package (leaving you 650 in the account).

When you leave Thailand you'll have to remember to turn off the data package or just drain the balance to 0 - otherwise it's auto-renewed every month.

Since you're here 3 months you'll need more than 1k baht anyway.

Edited by nikster

Does anyone know a confirmed way to entend the validity more than 60 days?

Are you asking specifically about TrueMove H?

Each service provider offers a huge array of SIMs, all with varying terms and conditions, and some do have options for purchasing extended validity, so it can be very challenging to determine the options for each/every provider/SIM.

Do you happen to know any detail re: your SIM?

I guess I might contact the service provider to determine my options re: extending validity.

Each service provider offers a huge array of SIMs, all with varying terms and conditions, and some do have options for purchasing extended validity, so it can be very challenging to determine the options for each/every provider/SIM.

I guess I might contact the service provider to determine my options re: extending validity.

I was referring to the Truemove H 3G Prepaid card the original OP stated... I went to their website and can only find a maximum possible validity of 60 days but two of the subsequent posters allude to longer possible validity methods - I was hoping they could elaborate...

There is no 'maximum possible validity of 60 days. What is the case is that 60 days will be added whenever the card is used.

The prepaid or top-up NET SIM 3G+ Baht 399 package is a new service that will never expire because a 60-day extension will be added whenever there is usage. This can be in the form of outgoing calls, connecting to the Internet, sending short messages, or topping up. There will always be continuous validity.

I was referring to the Truemove H 3G Prepaid card the original OP stated... I went to their website and can only find a maximum possible validity of 60 days but two of the subsequent posters allude to longer possible validity methods - I was hoping they could elaborate...

There is no 'maximum possible validity of 60 days. What is the case is that 60 days will be added whenever the card is used.

The prepaid or top-up NET SIM 3G+ Baht 399 package is a new service that will never expire because a 60-day extension will be added whenever there is usage. This can be in the form of outgoing calls, connecting to the Internet, sending short messages, or topping up. There will always be continuous validity.

So you think that means that if you make 10 outgoing phone calls you will get 600 days of validity added?...

I think what it means it that any use resets the validity to 60 days... If you read the prevoius posts - people refer to achieving a 1 year validity - I just want to know if this is possble and how?

Edited by sfokevin

No it means that if you have that particular SIM, just check your balance via a USSD code from abroad if you have roaming. or some similar action via SMS that works abroad.

So you think that means that if you make 10 outgoing phone calls you will get 600 days of validity added?...

I think what it means it that any use resets the validity to 60 days... If you read the prevoius posts - people refer to achieving a 1 year validity - I just want to know if this is possble and how?

Those are revised tariffs, not the full list.

For a complete listing, look here.

That is a TrueMove page, not a TrueMove H page. Is roaming the same on both networks?

Yes.

And I as Jiu-Jitsu points out, sfokevin is misunderstanding that pdf which merely mentions new partners/rates.

• 3 months later...

Quick question. I'm at the shop right now deciding... What's the difference between 450 and 550 package. Neither are hard capped (so speed busts back down after use up limit) but there seems to be a bonus extra on the 450. Could someone quickly elaborate?

I bought the 599 package and blew the "fair use" cap in days too. You're basically on edge for the rest of the month. There also seem to be quite a few sites (including Thaivisa) that generate a message that you will be charged above the package price to access (yahoo too), and I'm not sure if that is what also zapped the 3g so fast.

Does anyone know a number to call to find out how much data you have left?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From a previous thread on the topic:

- from any cell phone, USSD method

Dial *900# and then the call button. you should get two SMSs, one with your current promotion, and one with the explanation of what your max usage is for your plan, how much you have used so far, and what throttle speed is after your fair use limit is reached. see here for example.

- using SMS from phone or aircard connection software.

Send SMS to 9789 with the letter "b" (without the quotes) in the body. within 30 seconds you should get two SMSs, one with your current promotion, and one with the explanation of what your max usage is for your plan, how much you have used so far, and what throttle speed is after your fair use limit is reached. see [below attachments] for example.

post-109486-0-78816000-1331800450_thumb.
post-109486-0-55312300-1331800449_thumb.

The attachments may have changed slightly in formatting, but you can get the gist of it. (the SMS may arrive in thai even if you select english as your primary language:)

Bonus: get wifi password:

Dial *902# or

send sms to 9789 with the letter "w"

MyByCat 3G, you must call the call center to get your current usage....no automated method. But, if you call from myCat sim, the call is free (according to the CAT phone rep).

----------

Here is another bonus: any user-initiated activity should extend your validity to a maximum of 60 days from the date of transaction. you should be able to do the check promotion, use internet, etc to get the free extension.

To check SIM card validity and account balance (not promotion balance),

#123# (or call 9302). i dont know if there is an SMS method for this.

A more complete list of codes are available at another thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/538942-true-3g-finally-in-chumphon-area/#entry5136496 . Maybe true-h will just publish a master list of codes somewhere.

For those using myCat internet, there is no way that I know to automatically check usage. You MUST call the customer service # and get this information.

Edited by 4evermaat

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a short trip to Bangkok. I bought a prepaid SIM from trueMOVE H. There were about 7 different pricing options with varying amounts of txt msg, data and voice. I paid 799 baht for the upper-middle option (can't recall what I got). The lady physically installed it in my phone but didn't change my phone settings. You have to go into your phone settings > network/carrier > select carrier and manually change it to TRUE. I didn't know this and only learned as I was leaving Bangkok. Luckily I'll be back in a month. Also, I was told that the card is only valid for 90 days and cannot be extended.

Some new TrueMove H pre-paid SIMs:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/iplay/entry/604

Not sure if this are aligned with Real Move, the new TrueMove H 2100 MHz subsidiary. Assume they would work with the existing CAT/850 MHz 3G network, the old TrueMove 1800 MHz GSM network (until Sep. 15 anyway) and the new RealMove 2100 MHz 3G network. It looks like these new SIMs (red/white/heart) have different on-net/off-net calling rates.

All seem to have 60 day rolling expirations; any top-up (as little as 10 baht) or usage (send text, MMS, make a call, use data) extends the expiration out to a maximum of 60 days. The wording in the T's & C's seems to indicate the 60 day expiration is firm, and the SIM will be de-activated on day 61.

Further, it looks like you can now layer on voice, voice/data and data bundles, which is novel here for pre-paid. Not sure if DTAC and AIS are following suit with pre-paid bundles.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/italk/entry/608

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/italk/entry/610

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/iplay/entry/616

• Like 1

Conversely, do you think that MyCat will roam on the 2100 band network? or is it already owned by CAT

I have not tested here. Is there a way to see which network band/frequency you are using with the modem software or 3rd party software?