Anyone Seen One Of These

Robby nz

Got on a bibbed minow in the Chow Praya River 4 days ago.

My little fishing mate who knows most local fish has never seen one before.

An old lady I know says she has not seen one for many years and it is called Bpla gae.

Also does anyone know of an ID book on Thai freshwater fish and where to get one.

post-12069-0-24882100-1353903352_thumb.j

post-12069-0-39984000-1353903379_thumb.j

Well done. You have caught a juvenile goonch catfish. A reported man eater in larger sizes. I don't personally believe that myself. I am guessing you haven't watched river monsters? A series with some good fishing but full of BS stories in my opinion. For example. Pacu eating mens bits when they o swimming, a Thai man castrated by a snakehead fish, alligator gar eating people. Your experience of any Thai and Amazonian fish will make you laugh at the stories.

https://www.google.c...iPOrJ0QXwgIHADQ

I did get a little bit anxious when swimming in the middle of a Thai reservoir about 300 metres out but more in case there might have been an unknown croc in there. biggrin.png

Edited by jackinbkk

Thanks for that Fellas

Got another smaller one on fish bait the day after I posted this so it seems there are some around.

Want one of the big ones now.

That's going to be hard. I think you'd have to go somewhere quite remote. However if you can find some deep channels or rocky undercuts it is possible. Pillars of large bridges probably. Somewhere they like to lurk.

The big ones must be in the system somewhere in order to produce the young.

I would suspect in some of the dams to the north.

Possibly the ones I got and other young were relesed from the dam when it was run down with the thought of flooding.

The big ones must be in the system somewhere in order to produce the young.

I would suspect in some of the dams to the north.

Possibly the ones I got and other young were relesed from the dam when it was run down with the thought of flooding.

I don't think breeding adults would need to be very big but I do think that 150lb fish and bigger are to be found in the wild.

If 300lb stingray can survive in the Bang Pakong then a lot is possible.

According one of my family members on at least one spot (approx. 50 km south of Bang Pakong, close to the Gulf of Thailand) quite some competition is going on. Here's a recent picture:

Fishing+spot.jpg

A walk over water may be more successful here than not to catch one of these.

• 3 weeks later...

There are actually fishing bungalows available by the day on the bang pakong, owner says the species are cats, stingray, plah krapong all caught regularrolleyes.gif

as the biggest bungalow looks to be enough for 4-5 anglers i was thinking to try it out with a few people, myself i would chuck 2-3 monster rods with different bait ..including live bait, and spend my time lure fishing away from the lines,

• 2 weeks later...

There are actually fishing bungalows available by the day on the bang pakong, owner says the species are cats, stingray, plah krapong all caught regularrolleyes.gif

as the biggest bungalow looks to be enough for 4-5 anglers i was thinking to try it out with a few people, myself i would chuck 2-3 monster rods with different bait ..including live bait, and spend my time lure fishing away from the lines,

A live bait will be the best without doubt. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't worry mate we will go there soon enough tomorrow we will discuss details.