New To Mae Sai

dominiclg

hi, i am moving to mae sai in mid march for 6 months to work for a border charity. i have already visited so i know roughly what to expect, but i have a couple of questions to ask if anyone can help out:

1. accommodation. any ideas?!

2. internet access. i would like to sort this out for wherever i will be staying. any tips for what works/what doesnt, and prices?

3. things to do. having been i am aware of mae sais incomparable beauty and wild nightlife, but any info would be really useful.

4. living in thailand. any general advice for an english guy heading your way would be greatly apreciated.

thanks in advance,

dom

Rent will be alot cheaper than in the cities. If you want a basic studio you can find them for 3000bt furnished, maybe with aircon. I would suggest spending a week at a guesthouse and looking around for a suitable place. Don't arrange for anything sight unseen.

Mae Sai is a fun town with alot of energy, and good food and shopping. The Burmese side is interesting but the locals in Mae Sai have joked to me that even the rats in Burma sneak across to Thailand to eat, so I recommend avoiding street vendors in Tacheilek (sp?).

I haven't been there in over a year but internet was very slow then so I'm unsure if you'll find decent highspeed coverage there.

cv

• 2 weeks later...

Mae Sai actually has an expat meeting place.

There you meet the local expats and a lot of visa runners enjoy a refreshment there as well (preferebly after 'the job' is done).

A good open atmosphere, thanks to Khun Jon who runs it. He has been living for many years in London and his English is certainly better than mine (for what that's worth).

There you can get all information you need, also about trips into Burma.

Down at the left side of the bridge, to the left again between all the shops and hundred meter further at the right side (a little bit hidden behind some stalls).

Limbo :o

thanks limbo,

i´m hoping they can help me out with accommodation stuff and internet access. and cold beers.

does the place have a name, or a sign or something? or is it just really obvious?

dom

Be convinced: They can! It is a good place to start. The best final decisions you take yourself.

It is not really obvious where it is, because of the stalls with big parasols in front of it.

They have an invisible sign with a name. As the sign is invisible, the name is as well :D

Anyhow, it is difficult to miss. Down from the Immigration building to the left and then after hundred meters on the right corner of the first soi to the right (almost opposite the little Sukon Hotel, 150 to 250 Baht). To make things simple: Also the soi is almost hidden :o

Limbo.