Simple Recipe's ...

FlyingDutchman

About cooking ...  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My mother was a professional cook. She learned me the love for the kitchen. I laugh at men that can't even boil an egg ... so I will express some simple, but tasteful recipe's [one at the time and you can also place your simple, though tasteful recipe's here].

This recipe was made due to the fact that I had left my bacon out of the fridge. I had to finish it or throw it away. I was planning to make something with mussels and then I created this recipe.

Pasta with mussels and bacon

You can replace the mussels for other shellfish.

You can replace the bacon for Portugese/Spanish/Turkish garlic-sausage.

Ingredients :

Pasta (Tri-Colore; looks nice :o)

250 gram mussels (500 gram when fresh with scales)

100 gram thin sliced bacon

Olive oil

Canned whole tomatoes (or about 6/7 fresh ones)

Canned tomato-sauce (not ketchup !) - 1/2 coffee cup.

Canned salted ansjovis (4 pieces) - Cut to small pieces.

Broccoli (1 piece)

Garlic (3 pieces) - Cut to small pieces.

Milk or (sour) cream - about 1/2 coffeecup

Rasped [mixed] cheese

Some sea-salt (1 teaspoon)

Some sugar (2 teaspoons)

Cook the pasta as stated on the package (about 10 minutes).

When the water with pasta is cooking, put the broccoli in for 5 minutes. Cut after cooking.

If the mussels are fresh, cook them for about 4 minutes and take them out of their shells.

The cooking of the mussels, you can also do in the same pan, where you cook your pasta in.

Make sure you can take the broccoli and mussels out of the cooking pan easy.

Meanwhile, take a frying pan and put it on a mild fire, without oil. Make sure you have a lid.

Bake the bacon, turn it regulary, untill it's crispy. Take out the bacon and break it in small pieces.

When you use sausage, cut it in less then 1/2 cm.thick pieces and bake them for about 2 minutes.

Do not clean the pan, put some oil in the pan and when the oil is hot, put the mussels in.

Bake them for about 3 to 4 minutes en take them out of the pan. You can put them onto the bacon.

Open the cannes of tomatoes and tomato-sauce.

Do not clean the pan. Put in a little oil, if there is too little left.

Set the fire high and put the garlic in. Leave it for 30 seconds, as you shake the pan (stir).

Put in the tomato-sauce in and the sea-salt and sugar. Stir well. Bake it for 1 one minute.

* Put in the canned tomatoes and ansjovis and drop the fire to a mild fire after about 30 seconds.

Put in the cut broccoli and put the lid on, drop the fire to very modest, but not lowest.

Leave it for some 3 minutes and put the other ingredients in (mussels, bacon and milk).

Stir well, while setting the fire some higher. When it's been cooking for 1 minute it's finished.

* = At this point you can add some oregano or other herbs, but stay very modest with them !

Put the pasta on a plate, put some sauce on it and some rasped cheese. Eat well ! waiingjaplaugh14ia.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o

You missed out the category of the ones who would like to cook but just dont have the oportunity/proper kitchen. Hence I could note participate in the poll... :D

Very sorry, Khun Yak. Cannot edit it anymore :D. But for Pasta with mussels and bacon you just need two pan's and two fires. One cooking pan and one frying pan. That's not too much asked, isn't it ?

My mother was a professional cook. She learned me the love for the kitchen. I laugh at men that can't even boil an egg ... so I will express some simple, but tasteful recipe's [one at the time and you can also place your simple, though tasteful recipe's here].

This recipe was made due to the fact that I had left my bacon out of the fridge. I had to finish it or throw it away. I was planning to make something with mussels and then I created this recipe.

Pasta with mussels and bacon

You can replace the mussels for other shellfish.

You can replace the bacon for Portugese/Spanish/Turkish garlic-sausage.

Ingredients :

Pasta (Tri-Colore; looks nice :D)

250 gram mussels (500 gram when fresh with scales)

100 gram thin sliced bacon

Olive oil

Canned whole tomatoes (or about 6/7 fresh ones)

Canned tomato-sauce (not ketchup !) - 1/2 coffee cup.

Canned salted ansjovis (4 pieces) - Cut to small pieces.

Broccoli (1 piece)

Garlic (3 pieces) - Cut to small pieces.

Milk or (sour) cream - about 1/2 coffeecup

Rasped [mixed] cheese

Some sea-salt (1 teaspoon)

Some sugar (2 teaspoons)

Cook the pasta as stated on the package (about 10 minutes).

When the water with pasta is cooking, put the broccoli in for 5 minutes. Cut after cooking.

If the mussels are fresh, cook them for about 4 minutes and take them out of their shells.

The cooking of the mussels, you can also do in the same pan, where you cook your pasta in.

Make sure you can take the broccoli and mussels out of the cooking pan easy.

Meanwhile, take a frying pan and put it on a mild fire, without oil. Make sure you have a lid.

Bake the bacon, turn it regulary, untill it's crispy. Take out the bacon and break it in small pieces.

When you use sausage, cut it in less then 1/2 cm.thick pieces and bake them for about 2 minutes.

Do not clean the pan, put some oil in the pan and when the oil is hot, put the mussels in.

Bake them for about 3 to 4 minutes en take them out of the pan. You can put them onto the bacon.

Open the cannes of tomatoes and tomato-sauce.

Do not clean the pan. Put in a little oil, if there is too little left.

Set the fire high and put the garlic in. Leave it for 30 seconds, as you shake the pan (stir).

Put in the tomato-sauce in and the sea-salt and sugar. Stir well. Bake it for 1 one minute.

* Put in the canned tomatoes and ansjovis and drop the fire to a mild fire after about 30 seconds.

Put in the cut broccoli and put the lid on, drop the fire to very modest, but not lowest.

Leave it for some 3 minutes and put the other ingredients in (mussels, bacon and milk).

Stir well, while setting the fire some higher. When it's been cooking for 1 minute it's finished.

* = At this point you can add some oregano or other herbs, but stay very modest with them !

Put the pasta on a plate, put some sauce on it and some rasped cheese. Eat well ! waiingjaplaugh14ia.gif

\where can you buy anchovies in LOS?

TBWG :o

Excelent thread, I will post some very simple recipes so that even the 'scared to cook' types will have a go.

Here's one for a simple 'cream of' soup.

Ingredients

1 Large onion, finely chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed

A tbsp of cooking oil

450g of whatever flavour you want, ie two different types of veg or whatever.

A small handful of mixed herbs, again use your favourite

850ml of Stock

140ml of cream or soured cream if you want a different flavour

Salt and Pepper to taste

Method

Sweat the onions and garlic in the oil ie don't brown them

Add the veggies (finely chopped), herbs and stock

Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 mins

This bit is optional, but if you want it really creamy this is what you should do

Cool a little and liquidise in a blender until quite smooth

Add the cream

heat gently - do not return to the boil, and serve

For added richness you can add a swirl of cream (this looks good) and a sprig of herbs for garnish.

That's it. Total preparation and cooking time 30 mins max.

I hope you enjoy it...

This is a simple and very tasteful recipe for squid. Cleaning is maybe not suitable for the ones with a weak stomache. In this recipe we leave most of the inside of the squid where it is; the inside of a squid contains mostly of reproductive organs and is very tasteful :D.

Fried Squid with Garlic

Ingredients

500 gram fresh or frozen whole squid

Garlic - 3/4 pieces - cut fine

Sea-salt (about a teaspoon)

Olive oil

[You can add, at the last minute, some green and/or black olives - whole

also you can add some capers

and about 4 salted ansjovis filets - cut fine]

Cleaning the Fresh Squid

squid2cm.gif

Wash the squid. Take the body in one hand and the head in the other. Carefully pull the head of. The intestines will come out of the body. squid26br.gif Cut off the eyes and the intestines from the tentacles. squid36vt.gif Take out the beak, that might still be inside the tentacles. squid44ga.gif. Feel carefully inside the squid, at the top of the back there is a scale inside. Carefully pull it out of the body. squid50cg.gif Cut the body in pieces just under 1 cm.thick (0.03 feet). squid62fz.gif

Fried Squid with Garlic

Get a frying pan and put some olive oil in it. Make sure you also have a lid.

Fut the pan on a hot fire. When the oil is hot, put in the squid.

Lower the fire to modest about 1 minute later.

Stir well. After about 2 minutes, put the fire up to hot and when the pan is hot put the garlic in.

Lower the fire to just under modest, stir well and put the lid on. Leave it for about 3 minutes.

Take the lid of, put in some sea-salt and eventually the other ingredients. Stir well.

Leave it for for about 1 minute, while stirring.

I mostly serve this with a salad and bread (nice and easy), but rice will do perfect ! Just taste the sauce, it will be great !

:o

Here's the simplest pasta dish ever. I usually use spaghetti or something similar, but whatever pasta you prefer.

The dish can be prepared while your pasta cooks, less than 10 mins.

Ingredients

Sun-dried tomato paste about 150gms per person

A few olives 4-6 per person

Some pepadew peppers 3-4 per person (I don't know how easy these are to get in Thailand, but they are small sweet peppers in a sweet juice)

A crack of black pepper. to taste.

half a glass of Red wine to rinse out the tomato jar.

You can add anything you fancy, I sometimes finely chop a clove of garlic, experiment and see what happens.

Add to a small pan the tomato paste, bring to a simmer, add the olives finely chopped, add the pepadews cut into fairly fine strips, rinse out tomato jar with red wine, add this to the sauce, finish with a crack of black pepper, and leave simmering until your pasta is cooked (aldente), drain the pasta (careful not to over drain) add the sauce, give it a good stir and serve.

For a good appetite I use 175grms of spaghetti per person.

That's it, less than ten mins prep while your pasta is cooking. Who said cooking is a chore.

For a meaty variation, before you add anything to the pan, lightly fry smoked streaky bacon 2-3 strips per person, cut into 2cm pieces, then proceed as above.

Enjoy

Smaller portions can be served as an interesting starter.

funny I never heard of the dutch cuisine?

Jumbo

:D You wouldn't like it ! Jumbo ... "Stamppot", 'Sprouts', 'Spinach', "Schouderkarbonade" ...

Stamppot was even eaten in the year 1574, but the potatoes used to be "pastinaken" ... Pastinakenkl.JPG

"Stamppot" - Hotchpostch

500 gr."Klapstuk" Meat from the breast of a cow ... rund_41-klapstuk.jpg

1 kg carots

1 kg potatoes

4 onions

salt, pepper, nutmeg

1 bay leaf

Butter

Water

Stove the meat.

Clean the carots, peel them and cut them to pieces.

Cut the onions and glaze them in butter.

Put the carots with the onions and meat and add a little water.

Season with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Add the bay leaf.

Let stew till the carots be done.

Pour off the water.

Make potato puree and join the carots and onions (remove bay leaf).

Stamp the lot together.

Eat well ... :D

BTW ... :o @ Suegha ... looks very nice :D, your pasta.

Jumbo

:D You wouldn't like it ! Jumbo ... "Stamppot", 'Sprouts', 'Spinach', "Schouderkarbonade" ...

Stamppot was even eaten in the year 1574, but the potatoes used to be "pastinaken" ... Pastinakenkl.JPG

"Stamppot" - Hotchpostch

1 kg carots

1 kg potatoes

4 onions

salt, pepper, nutmeg

1 bay leaf

Butter

Water

Stove the meat.

Add the bay leaf.

Pour off the water.

Stamp the lot together.

This also looks very easy and interesting in a wholesome sort of way. I suppose you could use other types of meat, eg pork or even lamb?

Ok, talking about easy dishes:

Pancake with mediterranian Tomato/Feta filling

Stuffing:

4-5 Tomatos

1 Feta cheese (200-250 g ?!?)

Garlic (lots)

Pepper

Thyme (very important)

Boil water, add the tomatos for a few seconds and peel them. Get out the liquid and just keep the "filets". Dice them

Dice the feta in the same size and add to the tomatoes.

Cut/dice/mash (however) the garlic and add pepper and thyme - stir and keep it in the fridge

for the dough (2persons/5 thin pancakes):

150 g flour

1/4 l milk

2-3 eggs (dep. on size)

Salt

(few drops of Tabasco)

Fry the pancakes thin in a large pan...

Stuff/roll up the pancakes with the filling and enjoy...:o

(?) = Hard for me to translate

This also looks very easy and interesting in a wholesome sort of way. I suppose you could use other types of meat, eg pork or even lamb?

Yes, you could, Suegha. Make sure it's tender meat. There can be porkfat (lard ?), fat porkmeat added instead of cow meat. You could even leave the meat out. Some people eat it with meatloaf apart with it. As I said, I don't like it this much, but I'd make a suggestion to anyone to prepare it once. It actually tastes well. It's a very old Dutch recipe and as I said, it was even prepared in the year 1574. Due to the war with Spain, when the city of Leiden was surrounded by the Spanish army and they had ony HotchPotch "Stamppot" to eat. It's become a tradition in Leiden to eat it at october 3rd. when the city was freed by the 'Orange troops'.

Different versions of "Stamppot" 'HotchPotch' - Numbered

(1) Add some whole pepper (seeds) with it. This you can do with all versions.

"Stamppot Andijvie"

(2) Let the nutmeg (and bay leaf, at will) out.

Replace the carots and onions with 1 kg.cooked endive.

"Stimpestamp"

(3) Let the nutmeg (and bay leaf, at will) out.

Replace the carots and onions with 1 kg.raw endive.

Fry some bacon (300 gram).

Just cook the potatoes and stamp the endive through it.

As it's still hot, put pieces of cheese through it (has to melt) and the bacon.

"Hete bliksem" 'Hot lightning'

(4) Let the nutmeg (and bay leaf, at will) out.

300 gram smoked fat pork meat (lard ?) or blood sausage (?).

500 gram sweet apples.

500 gram sour apples.

Clean the apples, peel and cut them.

Cook the pork meat 30 minutes in water.

Cook the apples with the potatoes.

Stamp the potatoes and apples.

Put pieces of the meat on top.

"Stamppot Spinazie"

(5) Let the nutmeg and bay leaf out.

Replace the carots and onions with 1 kg.cooked spinach.

Fry some bacon (300 gram).

Add the fried bacon and some pine tree seeds to it when stamped.

"Stamppot Zuurkool"

(6) Let the nutmeg (and bay leaf, at will) out.

Replace the carots and onions with 1 kg.cooked sauerkraut.

:o Eat well !

Edited by FlyingDutchman

Jumbo

"Stamppot" - Hotchpostch

1 kg carots

1 kg potatoes

4 onions

salt, pepper, nutmeg

1 bay leaf

Butter

Water

Stove the meat.

Add the bay leaf.

Pour off the water.

Stamp the lot together.

Those veggies you are showing, would those be Parsnips?

Greg

\where can you buy anchovies in LOS?

TBWG :o

Carrefour, Villa, Foodland....

Thanks Raro

On my list for next Carrefour visit, hope they sell capers as well!

Some pretty good recipies on this thread, think i'll give some a try :D

TBWG

...and since I'm bragging about beef tartar on other threads for a couple of days, here we go:

Take as much beef filet as you deem necessary (I always use the one sold at Carrefour Pattaya @ 260 baht a kg), put it in the blender, add onions, capers, anchovies, salt, pepper and whatever else you may come up with (mustard....), give it a good spin et voila!

Same for the Mettbrotchen....use pork filet instead and just onions, salt and pepper. A bit of Paprika powder is ok.

Both stands and falls with the bread, a fresh roll is recommended - and lots of butter.

...and since I'm bragging about beef tartar on other threads for a couple of days, here we go:

Take as much beef filet as you deem necessary (I always use the one sold at Carrefour Pattaya @ 260 baht a kg), put it in the blender, add onions, capers, anchovies, salt, pepper and whatever else you may come up with (mustard....), give it a good spin et voila!

Same for the Mettbrotchen....use pork filet instead and just onions, salt and pepper. A bit of Paprika powder is ok.

Both stands and falls with the bread, a fresh roll is recommended - and lots of butter.

And, a day nearer a heart attack...

Maybe with a bit less buttter but otherwise I would defend my Steak Tartar and my Mettbrotchen with my life as well. It's an awesome dish, garnished usually with half a pickled gherkin (pickled cucumber). mmmmmh Yummy :o

And no heartattack yet :D

Maybe with a bit less buttter but otherwise I would defend my Steak Tartar and my Mettbrotchen with my life as well. It's an awesome dish, garnished usually with half a pickled gherkin (pickled cucumber). mmmmmh Yummy :o

And no heartattack yet :D

Just wash it down with plenty of coffee (for breakfast) or beer (mett) resp. red wine (tartar) if you have it for dinner and you'll be fine. :D

I don't know, it seems that eating Beef Tartar here would be tantamount to commiting suicide. ever see how they handle beef here?

Greg

Against a heart attack ... SALAD, but still with GREAT TASTE !

And made in a sec. It's more work reading than making, true ! :D

SALAD with FRIED BACON AND UNIONS

Make a raw salad. Like so ... cut some :

White-, red-, Chinese-, cabbage, red-, lettuce, carots, endive and put maybe also some :

tomatoes and/or pieces of ansjovis in there. Later you can top the salad with pine tree pits, [special] olives and/or some capers.

Fry 250 gram of cubes of smoked pork fat [fat meat, not only fat] OR bacon de size of 1cm. (0.393700787 inch). Don't put the fire too hot, let the fat come out and fry them crisp/crunchy.

Buy dried fried onions, or fry some unions till they're brown yourself some time before you make the salad and put them on kitchenpaper to loose the fat. Turn them from time to time and when the paper is fat, change the paper. They will have to be crisp/crunchy pieces.

Vinaigrette

1/4 cup Balsamico vinegar, OR

Most red-wine vinegar and some balsamico, OR

1/4 cup red-wine vinegar.

Almost a big spoon full of mustard (with seeds), BUT

if the mustard is very hot, put 1/2 in there.

Put some sea-salt and some ground white pepper in.

Put almost a big spoon full of lemon juice in.

Stir well/firm with a fork. While stirring, drop some drops of

oil in there (neutral oil). Keep stirring and keep dropping

some drops of oil in there. As you reach about 2/3 of the

amount of vinegar compared with the oil, the vinaigrette

should thicken a bit. Stop and look, stir well, drop some oil

and look if there isn't oil floating, you can keep doing this,

until the oil doesn't thicken the vinaigrette, but starts floating.

Taste the vinaigrette; it should be sour, but if you find it too

sour, put one or two teaspoons of sugar or honey in it.

special olives (Should be made well before ...)

Buy a can with a screwlid of the cheapest olives you can find.

Open the can carefully. Wash the vegetables first I tell you to put in :

Take two or three spanish/chilie peppers, cut them in two and put them in.

Take some white pepper grains and put them in, not too much, about ten.

Take about four to five pieces of garlic, cut them in two and put them in.

Put about a teaspoon of sea-salt in there. Put also some lemon juice in.

Screw the lid on and turn the can around. Put in in the fridge-door, so it

shake due to opening of the door and/or shake it some times. Leave it

for about fourteen days and you got great olives. You can put these in.

Presenting the SALAD

Put some salad on a plate.

Put some fried pork on the salad.

Put some fried unions on the pork.

[Put some extra toppings on the salad].

Put some vinaigrette on the salad.

This is definitely a delicious salad. It reads a lot, but is't made in a blink of an eye. :o

Edited by FlyingDutchman

"pastinaken" ... Pastinakenkl.JPG

Those veggies you are showing, would those be Parsnips?

Greg

:o You are right "Parsnips" are "Pastinaken". So : The ORIGINAL recipe from 16th century ...

"Leidse hutspot"

Ingredients :

300 gr.thin fresh bacon/fat pork meat

2 porklegs ('hoefjes')

300 gr.cow meat (from the breast)

400 gr.white broad beans (dried)

1 kilo carrots

500 gr.parsnips *

500 gr.onions

Salt

Ground pepper

Put a night in avance the broad beans in water and cook them in the same water almost done with the bacon, porklegs and the cow meat.

Make sure there is not too much water left.

Joint the cut carrots, parsnips and onions and let everything cook softly.

Stir the ingredients loose of each other (do not stamp!) and put some salts and generous fresh ground pepper on it.

* you can replace parsnips with salsifies

ips:

....and what will you do if your salad is on strike? :o

ips:

:D well what could the salad ask for? more special olives? :D:D

ips:

Shorter working hours, equality for the spring onions, a shop steward at managerial level, more salad dressing...

ips:

Shorter working hours, equality for the spring onions, a shop steward at managerial level, more salad dressing...

..which would certainly lead to higher blood pressure with all those cardiovascular risks involved...better stay with my beef tartar and coffee... :D

ips:

..which would certainly lead to higher blood pressure with all those cardiovascular risks involved...better stay with my beef tartar and coffee... :D

...one might even consider a nice decent shot....like vodka, or "korn" icecold as a final flushing :D

CHICKENWING SNACKS

Oven :

Set the oven on 200c.

Bake the chickenwings for about 20/25 minutes.

Put the sauce on the chickenwings.

Bake for some 5 minutes.

SAUCE

1/3 oystersauce

2/3 ketchap (sweet)

1 spoon+ mustard

some lemon juice

some pepper

1 1/2+ teaspoon sugar/honey

2+ teaspoons ginger(sirup)

I will definitley try this one - I love chicken wings. I'm sure it would work on other chicken parts as well.