Simple Recipe's ...

FlyingDutchman

About cooking ...  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SAUCE

1/3 oystersauce

2/3 ketchap (sweet)

1 spoon+ mustard

some lemon juice

some pepper

1 1/2+ teaspoon sugar/honey

2+ teaspoons ginger(sirup)

I will definitley try this one - I love chicken wings. I'm sure it would work on other chicken parts as well.

:D You could add some more ginger(sirup) [big spoon] as you like, also some, or lots, fresh cut garlic and a snif of sea-salt. You can also use it in the next recipe :

FRIED CHICKEN/TURKEY WITH VEGETABLES AND RICE

Ingredients :

About 500 gr.chicken or turkey filet

Some (neutral) oil

Some sea-salt

Some ground white pepper

A little water or bouillon

About 1 kg.iceberg lettuce, or Chinese kale (or Chinese broccoli), or broccoli.

The above described sauce ...

You can also add some cashew nuts at the end

Rice

Cut the filet in slices, cut them breadth, about 4 to 5 cm.long and about 1cm. thick.

Put some sea-salt and some ground white pepper on the sliced filet.

Wash and cut the vegetables. Not too small.

Put a wok on a hot fire.

Put about 2 to 3 spoons of oil in the wok.

When the oil is hot, put the sliced filet in.

Stir well. Do this some minutes.

When the filet is nearly done, put the vegetables in.

Keep stirring and put some water or bouillon in after about one minute.

When the water or bouillon is almost vaporated,

put in the sauce and the cashew nuts, as you wish.

Stir well for about one minute.

Serve with rice. :o

> Western Food in Thailand > ? Not really Western food, but a tasteful, simple recipe :D

Edited by FlyingDutchman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaeng Phed Ped Yang

(grilled duck red curry)

- red curry paste

-coconut milk

- grilled duck

- fish sause

- palm sugar

-tomato

- grape

stirred fried grilled duck with red curry paste ... add cocont milk , add flavor with fish sauce and sugar ....tomato and grape

easy hah :o

TFood474.JPG

I waited this long to comment in this thread, because I don't want to be raining on your parade. But if these are simple recipes, the complex recipes must go on for a thousand words and 84 ingredients. Many of your recipes require ten ingredients, ten preparation and cooking steps, various appliances like an oven or a blender that I don't have, ingredients (in various languages) that I've never heard about, etc. Some of the recipes weren't exactly "Western Food".

How do you sweat an onion, or does it sweat by itself, reflexively and intuitively? I asked that of an experienced American cook, and she had no idea.

Okay, I'll leave you alone now, because you didn't pretend that this was "Cooking for Dummies." Enjoy your preparation, ingredients, techniques, and finally, your food.

I'll go back to my yellow watermelon, Lays potato chips, Pepsi Maxx, tangerines, and maybe an eg sunny side up. And have lunch at Subway Sandwiches. :o

I waited this long to comment in this thread, because I don't want to be raining on your parade. But if these are simple recipes, the complex recipes must go on for a thousand words and 84 ingredients. Many of your recipes require ten ingredients, ten preparation and cooking steps, various appliances like an oven or a blender that I don't have, ingredients (in various languages) that I've never heard about, etc. Some of the recipes weren't exactly "Western Food".

How do you sweat an onion, or does it sweat by itself, reflexively and intuitively? I asked that of an experienced American cook, and she had no idea.

Okay, I'll leave you alone now, because you didn't pretend that this was "Cooking for Dummies." Enjoy your preparation, ingredients, techniques, and finally, your food.

I'll go back to my yellow watermelon, Lays potato chips, Pepsi Maxx, tangerines, and maybe an eg sunny side up. And have lunch at Subway Sandwiches. :o

Hi PB, didn't expect to see you on this thread, but welcome.

I suppose the definition of 'simple' is subjective! As an experienced cook, I can see how easy things can be. To a person for whom scrambled eggs is a chore these simple recipes would seem like a nightmare!

'Western food' on this forum is seen as anything non-Thai (Sorry Bambi, Wrong forum for your delicious and easy duck curry).

Sweating onions is a common expression for frying onions without allowing them to go brown. That is, you fry them until they sort of become translucent. Maybe Americans use a different word (the heathen).

Maybe we could open a thread called "Cooking for Dummies." To qualify ingredients would be kept to 3-4 as would the preparation steps. How would this grab you?

Yeah, now you're cooking.

EGG(S), SUNNYSIDE UP

Carefully break the eggs in the teflon pan.

Turn on the heat under the pan.

Wait until it gets heated/hard enough for you (I like my yolks runny).

Turn off heat and carefully slide unto plate.

MICROWAVE POPCORN:

Open microwave door, but don't open popcorn bag.

Put bag in microwave with the up side up.

Close door and turn on full power for 3 minutes, or per instructions clearly written in Magyar using Akkadian alphabet.

When the corn stops popping, turn off oven and open door.

Carefully open the bag at top; be careful of escaping steam.

Pour into big bowl.

Hmm, even popcorn has six steps.

CHOCOLATE MILK

Take carton out of refridge and open it at top.

Pour into a clean glass or cup.

Close carton and put back in refridge.

:o MASHED POTATO

go to the market and buy 1kg potato ...(peel) ... cook them > put in MIXER or so (maybe a modded fan :D

add 200ml (?) milk and BUTTER so 20g up! and salt

and enjoy (i think english like some gravy ? )

i think before i start many > copy/paste ...

i try to hang some on (pdf 13kb-150kb) :D

:D

Edited by lung

EGG(S), SUNNYSIDE UP

already wrong....teflon pans are best used as a gong to alert the family that dinner is ready. Never use them for cooking. Pans are made from cast iron.

but careful. Not too much or the egg white will get hard and unedible.

again....keep the heat not too hot. You may cover the pan to get the yolk well done.

you are allowed to use a spatula...makes life easier :o

Edited by raro

EGG(S), SUNNYSIDE UP

already wrong....teflon pans are best used as a gong to alert the family that dinner is ready. Never use them for cooking. Pans are made from cast iron.

but careful. Not too much or the egg white will get hard and unedible.

again....keep the heat not too hot. You may cover the pan to get the yolk well done.

you are allowed to use a spatula...makes life easier :o

Try frying a little bacon and then crack the eggs in the oil and then flip the grease on the egg a little or without a little oil or bacon fat ...

...oh and forgot to mention: Use for frying eggs only butter. No oil, and especially not margerine.

Have fun!

raro

:D Very good advice - I was just about to give the same. Use some (little) butter to fry your eggs. It will give the egg a better taste and furthermore avoid the egg got stucked with the pan. Even use a bit butter when doing it in a teflon pan. For the same reasons.

The teflon pan only for the reason to ease up the cooking even further as you dont really have to clean any dishes beside your plate and maybe a fork as your pan just need a quick brush and a wipe. No anoying cratching...and again said: just for the convenience :D:o

And BTW. Do you eat your egg just like this? Dont you at least eat a slice of bread / some rice with it / flavor it with salt or anything? Or would this drive it to complicated again :D:D:D

:D Im just on my way to "cook" something quiet easy:

Cereals with milk

Get yourself a bowl of your choice.

Fill it 3/4 with cereals of your choice.

Add milk.

Sidedish:

1-2 bananas

(peel before eat) :D

Good morning and enjoy the breakfast of the champions :D

Cheers,

KY

Edited by Khun Yak

Now this becomes a "frying eggs for advanced: threat :D

David's bacon advice is a very good idea, actually you don't have to add any other fat whatsoever.

For the cast iron pan: Just clean it with water and a metal brush while still hot. NEVER use any detergent! I re-iterate my point that teflon pans are unsutiable for any cooking because they are too thin. The heat doesn't distribute evenly throughout the surface. On cheap pans the teflon also wears off. Heavy cast iron is the way to go! :o

Also, before egg/s are cooked try scrambling them to produce 'scrambled eggs'. I know this is more complicated, but try to toast some bread to make 'toast'. Now it get's really tough. Try spread some butter on the toast to make 'buttered toast', place scrambled egg on toast - hang on, not finished yet, crack on some salt and pepper and enjoy.

simply but tasty starters

ok you need top go to a reasonable sized supermarket to buy flakey or puff pastry

heres a few things you can do with it .

roll it out on a floured surface till thin but not super thin cut it into small squares about 3cm by 3cm and put a dessert spoon of brie ( small square ) inside , fold up wetting the edges with water to seal it properly , the better seal the better it comes out , bake these in a oven till they are browned and flakey . normally served with a rasberry sauce(but use any type of berry you prefer) , 1 punnet of raspberries or some frozen 1 glass red wine 1/2 cup sugar cooked down a bit so it reduces on the stove .

its called bie en coute

Another thing you can do with puff pastry is roll it out thin then place things like ham and cheeses slices and whole seed mustard , or salmon cream cheese and capers on it the roll it up so its like a spiral , cut the roll in to little pieces and bake these until they puff up

you can use all sorts of fillings on these left over thai curry ,. pesto and cheeses ect

Also, before egg/s are cooked try scrambling them to produce 'scrambled eggs'. I know this is more complicated, but try to toast some bread to make 'toast'. Now it get's really tough. Try spread some butter on the toast to make 'buttered toast', place scrambled egg on toast - hang on, not finished yet, crack on some salt and pepper and enjoy.

:o

If the toast gets too dark try to adjust that little knob at the side from "6" down to maybe "4". Buyer beware: Some toasters don't have those numbers indicating the intensity of the toasting process which makes life really, really difficult.

If the toast gets too dark try to adjust that little knob at the side from "6" down to maybe "4". Buyer beware: Some toasters don't have those numbers indicating the intensity of the toasting process which makes life really, really difficult.

In this case, it might be better to avoid total disaster and have plain buttered bread. :o

:o ... where is this topic going to ? ...

Super Cheap & Simple "Super Soup"

Ingredients :

Buy cheap bouillion blocks [meat/beef/cow]

Buy a cheap sack of dried/instant vegetable soup

Buy garlic

Take a piece of bouillion block ... the more, the more salt

(If the bouillion block is for 1/2 liter, take 1/3 for a cup

else take one for 1/2 liter. More needs to cook some ...)

Pore a layer of instant vegetable soup soup on it

Cut 1/2 a piece of garlic or more and put it in

Pore boiling water upon it, stir well and cover it for 2 min's.

... :D

Simple Marinade for steak

All of the ingredients vary in amounts for different tastes and amount of steak. The following is for 2 medium sized steaks (600g)

3 Tablespoons olive oil

A medium bulb of garlic finely chopped

3 Tablespoons of Soy sauce (a good quality slightly sweet type works well)

Juice of one lime or more

3-4 Tablespoons of good quality vinegar, I use a home made white wine vinegar

1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

1 Tablespoon? of whatever herb you like, I use coriander, use Italian seasoning, basil or whatever you fancy

Fork the steaks on both sides, place in a shallow dish pour marinade over the steaks turning them a few times to make sure they are coated. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for a couple of hours turning the steaks half way through. If you have longer than a couple of hours better still, all day if you can. However, I have used 1 hour and it still works well enough. Don’t use the marinade to fry the steaks, use oil already in the pan and fork out the garlic pieces and add them to the pan. If the steaks are thick fry on both sides for 1 minute for a medium steak. Adjust cooking time to taste.

It's yummy steak time...

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine asked me for something simple, and not fancy! She's very much a 'normal' meat and two veg type, so I gave her the ultra simple "stuffed chicken breasts".

What you need:

Chicken breasts (Large ones as you will be stufffing them)

Smokey streaky bacon (2-3 per chicken breasts)

A Pate. Whatever type of pate, I actually us a veggie mushroom pate, I have also made it with duck pate, so whatever you like.

Method:

Most breasts have a sort of pocket in them already, this may be enough, or cut it a little deeper. Stuff with the pate, a good tablespoon or more works best.

Wrap the chicken breast with the bacon so that it's self contained.

Now for the oven, this is the trickiest bit. Wrap the chicken in a sort of parcel or tin foil (shiney side in). The tin foil should not be in contact with the chicken so there should be room all around the chicken. Seal up this parcel and oven cook on 180-200 for 20 mins. Now open the parcel so that the chicken is exposed and cook for another 10(ish) mins. The parcel should have saved all the juices for your gravy. Either use the gravy directly,if the streaky bacon was good quality, this works, or you can add a thickener or some other flavour. Whatever you like.

Serve up with veg and staple, and off you go, the simplest meal you've ever prepared!

ps even PeaceBlonde could do this one!

:D ... where is this topic going to ? ...

Super Cheap & Simple "Super Soup"

Ingredients :

Buy cheap bouillion blocks [meat/beef/cow]

Buy a cheap sack of dried/instant vegetable soup

Buy garlic

Take a piece of bouillion block ... the more, the more salt

(If the bouillion block is for 1/2 liter, take 1/3 for a cup

else take one for 1/2 liter. More needs to cook some ...)

Pore a layer of instant vegetable soup soup on it

Cut 1/2 a piece of garlic or more and put it in

Pore boiling water upon it, stir well and cover it for 2 min's.

... :D

I suppose you were not part of the haute-cuisine majority? :o

:D:D:D

FlyingDutchman

Catch this one.

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN

Here is a chicken recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing - imagine that.

When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN

6-7 lb. Chicken

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)

1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT OR ANY THAI CORN THAT YOU KAN POP IN THERE)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.

Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven AND listen for the popping sounds.

When the chicken's ass blows the oven door open :D and the chicken flies across the room, it's done. :o

And, you thought I Kan not cook. :D

:D:D:D

FlyingDutchman

Catch this one.

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN

Here is a chicken recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing - imagine that.

When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN

6-7 lb. Chicken

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)

1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT OR ANY THAI CORN THAT YOU KAN POP IN THERE)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.

Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven AND listen for the popping sounds.

When the chicken's ass blows the oven door open :D and the chicken flies across the room, it's done. :o

And, you thought I Kan not cook. :D

Err, I don't think I'll be trying this one! :D

My roommate caught me making cold cereal wrong. First, because it was convenient, I poured in the milk, then the spoon, and finally the cereal. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Later, he found a cartoon on the same subject, and taped it on the refrigerator door.

My roommate caught me making cold cereal wrong. First, because it was convenient, I poured in the milk, then the spoon, and finally the cereal. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Later, he found a cartoon on the same subject, and taped it on the refrigerator door.

I know that cartoon. One guy is saying to the other, "no, it's the cereal first, then the milk" while consulting a cook book! Brilliant...

I know that cartoon. One guy is saying to the other, "no, it's the cereal first, then the milk" while consulting a cook book! Brilliant...

Yes, and the book is clearly labelled, "COLD CEREAL COOK BOOK."

Yes, and the book is clearly labelled, "COLD CEREAL COOK BOOK."

Well, PB, I wonder if you could get a copy on Amazon?

I've got an easy one for you... Thais don't care much for it, they say it's sour. It's not to a Western tongue though. Anyway...

Baked Pork Chops

6 pork chops or pork cutlets

Mix:

1 Cup of Ketchup

1 Cup of Cola (Coke or Pepsi)

Add about 1/8 tsp salt, black pepper and garlic powder.

Mix well,

place pork chops in baking pan, cover with mixture, then sprinkle a little brown sugar over each chop.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 45min to 1 hour.

The drippings are excellent over mashed potatoes. This is a recipe that I heard on the radio a long time ago. Everytime I've made it, it recieved excellent reviews. I have to make this everytime I go back to the states to see my daughter. To make it palatable to Thais you could chop up some of the little red peppers and add them to the mix. They won't change the taste but will add spice... my wife likes it that way.