Ed Visa Extension For Over 50's

I have read somewhere that Ed visa for an over 50 person will not be extended after the first year (I am 62). This was confirmed by Walen school as being the policy of immigration in Chiang Mai. Does this rule apply for the rest of Thailand?

Some background: I want to travel to Thailand next year and live there for 3 years studying Thai (legitimately). After that, when my main pension kicks in, I will transfer to a retirement visa. I assume it is possible to go from Ed to retirement visa?

I would suspect it is specific to Chiang Mai if that is what they told you - there are different polices from different locations on the ED visa. For your situation why not obtain multi entry non immigrant O visas from home or nearby country for your stay? Being over age 50 should allow issue, at least from an honorary type consulate, and there is no requirement to study on an ED visa (you can use any entry to study). This should prove cheaper than 3 month extensions of ED visa in any case and suspect you will return to home country within the 15 month period this could allow and be able to obtain a new visa for the next year.

Hi Lopburi, The idea was not to return to my country for 3 years (or 5) but to extend the Ed visa each year and then, when my pension became available, to switch to a retirement visa.

I didn't know that an Ed visa had to be extended every 3 months (with a payment each time?) . I thought you just had to check in with immigration every 90 days, and that the visa only had to be extended once a year.

I thought a non-imm O visa, allowing me to stay for 12 (15) months, were difficult to get?

Wayned, I was referring to an extension of the Ed visa after a year, not the initial application and approval.

Yes, you pay 1,900 baht for each extension every 90 days. Normally only university type of study is good for 1 year extensions of stay, language schools etc get only 90 days a time.

Multiple non-O is not difficult to get if you can show enough income/money in the bank. But it depends on where you will apply.

Hi Mario 2008, when you mentioned about non-O and having enough money in the bank were you referring to the O-A non-o visa (retirement) or is there a non-o visa I am not aware of that I can show a sufficient amount of cash in the bank but not tie it up as I would with the O-A retiremen visa?

Thanks

For a visa you do need to show money in the bank, but don't need to tie it up, you can use it after your application. Alternatively you can show income instead of money in the bank.

You could download the visa application pack from the Thai consulate in Hull.

Thanks guys. One other question. It relates to the non-imm O (not O-A). According to the requirements to qualify as laid out on thaivisa for this visa, I don't fulfill any of them. I don't fit into any of the stated categories. I don't have friends, family, spouse etc in Thailand. If I apply, how do I structure my application to qualify? I can show sufficient finances if that is a stumbling block. Otherwise I don't know how to go about it to be approved. It seems like this would be the ideal visa for me.

You are over age 50 so most honorary consulates will issue a non immigrant O visa so you can enter Thailand and then extend your stay for retirement so you just say to check on retirement options to qualify. They can not provide the O-A visa so the O visa is the best they can give you. But even a tourist visa entry could be converted inside Thailand once financial proof was obtained.

On the assumption that I apply for a non-imm O visa:

A. Would applying to an honorary consul be a better option than applying to an "official" embassy or consulate.

B. Can I apply to one outside my country (I notice Hull gets mentioned - a better place to apply?). There are no honorary consulates in Ireland, just a consulate (not even an embassy).

C. With a non-imm O can I get a one year visa or does it have to be renewed (extended?) every 90 days (with 1900 fee each time)?

D. do I have to leave Thailand during that year and reenter after each specific time period (90 days?).

E. If I should be declined for the non-imm O is the fee refundable?

F. which is a better option, to apply with my Irish passport or American one? I am currently living in Ireland and would be until I go to Thailand,

A. yes, as some embassies will insist on issueing an O-A visa. Honorary consulates are not allowed to issue these, so will by default issue a non-O.

B. Yes, but also depends on policy of the consulate you will be applying so check with Hull first.

C. A multiple non-O is valid for 1 year. During this year you can travel an unlimited times to Thailand, each time you enter you can stay for 90 days. Then you have to laave and can come back the same hour, as long as the visa is valid. Entry into Thailand is free (you already paid for that) but entering another country you might need to buy a visa for that country.

You could also extend your stay for 1 year, which costs 1,900 baht.

E. No, but they will not decline unless you do not qualify.

F. Your choice. But once in Thailand you ill need to use the embassy for the passport you entered on. They have different services and fees.