Phuket Girl, 12, Feared Dead In Tour Van Crash

webfact

Phuket girl, 12, feared dead in tour van crash

Phuket Gazette

c1.jpeg

The Phuket tour van reportedly collided head-on with a pickup truck in Chalong at about 7am. Photo: Dean Noble

c2.jpeg

Debris from the accident was left scattered on the road. Photo: Dean Noble

PHUKET: -- A 12-year-old girl is feared dead after a Phuket tour van reportedly collided with a pickup truck near Chalong Temple on Chao Fa West Road in Chalong this morning.

According to initial reports, two others were injured in the accident, which occurred at about 7 am.

It is not known at this point whether the driver fled the scene as with the previous accident involving the same tour company.

More details to follow as they become available.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...rash-19591.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-29

another normal day in the kingdom .... I just wonder how many dead, the government want on the road to act quickly ..... As the big majority of thai driver dont have any license or knowledge in driving and road safety. Last weekend a truck didnt stop at the red light and nearly crush my car , this is so common practice here , why stop at red light when you can go ..... one day if it happen again I will go out of my car and kick some driver's ass ....

RIP to the young girl...i came upon this accident just moments after it happened; i was on the way to work. it was freaking terrible...i hope accidents like this aren't going to be the trend for this upcoming high season.

With more and more Russian and Chines tourists, that effectively demand their own transport, there are increasingly more minibuses and large tour buses on the roads of Phuket.

I had a Pegas driver approach me on the wrong side of the road overtaking near the Green Man in pouring rain a couple of days back. Ridiculous driving.

I believe some tour operators, after too many complaints from customers about dangerous drivers, are now employing more female minibus drivers. They are generally perceived to be less aggressive and less dangerous. Phi Phi Cruiser is one such company. But until drivers are properly trained accidents will continue and probably rise in number due to increased traffic.

I knew there was a bad one this morning as the traffic tailed back a long way.

I hope the girl isn't dead as feared.

• Like 1

Girl, 9, confirmed dead in Phuket tour van crash

Phuket Gazette

cr1.jpeg

Phuket rescue workers rush to cut the driver free from the pickup truck wreck. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

cr2.jpeg

Although the van was painted in white and featured the Pegas Touristik company logo, the tour company has denied any responsibility for the accident. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Phuket police have named the schoolgirl who died in the tour van crash this morning as Kulnaree Lattuada Lancini, 9 years old, a student at British International School (BIS).

Chalong Police Sub Lt Kraisorn Boonprasop told the Phuket Gazette that Kulnaree died at the scene of head trauma.

Kulnaree was in the rear seat of a pickup truck that was making a “school run” when the accident occurred at about 6:40am, he explained.

“Three other students were in the back. They are all fine. They suffered only minor injuries, just some bruises and scratches,” said Lt Kraisorn.

Two of the students were to be dropped off at Wichit Songkram School, located south of the Central Festival Phuket shopping mall, and the third was to be dropped off at Kajonkietsuksa.

Kulnaree was to be dropped off at BIS.

The tour van driver and the driver of the pickup were both pinned behind the steering wheels in their vehicles by the force of the impact.

“It took rescue workers 25 minutes to get them both out,” Lt Kraisorn said.

All of the injured, students and drivers, were rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

“The pickup driver, aged in his 30s, suffered injuries to his abdomen and legs. The van driver suffered an injury to his left ankle,” Lt Kraisorn explained.

“The tour van struck another van from behind, then crossed the center line into the path of the oncoming pickup truck,” he added.

A company representative at tour company Pegas Touristik denied any responsibility for the accident.

“We do not own the vehicles or employ the people who drive them,” she said.

Although the tour van involved in the accident was painted in Pegas Touristik white and featured the company logo, it was also marked as belonging to Apitchaya Destination Co Ltd.

Pegas Touristik made headlines two weeks ago when a tour bus painted with the company logo struck and killed an aunt and her niece while travelling at high speed on the main road to Phuket Airport.

The driver of that bus fled the scene. Police have now been issued a warrant for his arrest.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...rash-19593.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-29

There have been many occasions when A Pegas van has flown past me at break-neck speed, often in the motorbike lane, often just missing clipping other vehicles. Why on earth doesn't the company management do something about their insane drivers??? It's not just a matter of time... it's a matter of when is it going to happen again!

There have been many occasions when A Pegas van has flown past me at break-neck speed, often in the motorbike lane, often just missing clipping other vehicles. Why on earth doesn't the company management do something about their insane drivers??? It's not just a matter of time... it's a matter of when is it going to happen again!

The management won't do anything about it, because they are the ones accepting the insane and clearly impossible timelines laid upon them by the tour agent.

A company representative at tour company Pegas Touristik denied any responsibility for the accident.

“We do not own the vehicles or employ the people who drive them,” she said. The Old Emu Trick ??????? Just stick your head in the sand............

I make no claims at being a marketing genius, but maybe they should hire their own drivers. The negative press from this has to be costing them money... I hope it does actually. They seem to have a rather callus attitude about this... perhaps there is more to the story, but I'll bet there's not.

“We do not own the vehicles or employ the people who drive them,” she said. The Old Emu Trick ??????? Just stick your head in the sand............

So why does Pegus allow other companies / vehicle owners to use their logo when there is obviously a safety problem? Lack of caring and morals all round, no matter which way you look at it.

• Like 1

I fear for my life everytime I see a Pegas Touristik minivan on the road.

Pegas Touristik is of course responsible for this accident. They are a large company. They are sub contracting a huge number of minivans. How about using their negociating power, not only to reduce prices but also asking the companies they are using to employ responsible drivers? How about caring about the safety of your own customers? How about not making phuket roads unsafe because of crazy schedules that crazy yabba addicts drivers have to comply to?

I have two under ten daughters in school and every day it takes half an hour to get 3kms to school in the morning and worse returning in the afternoon. I had the option to pay the school vans doing pick up and drop offs, but after watching how drivers handle them there is no way I would allow anyone the custody of my children in this country. And it always takes two to tango. The is no defense to idiot drivers here who have no common sense let alone road sense. I cannot imagine losing one of my little angels, I feel so sad for the parents. And irrespective of the claims by Pegasus, as no justice is ever done here, I would be settling this 'Thai' style.

• Like 1

The media could & should be doing a much better job at following up on these tragedies. How about some anonymous interviews with staff, particularly drivers, to get their point of view. We all speculate about how they are being forced to meet almost impossible deadlines but no one really knows. Maybe the drivers are lazy & do not start their journeys early enough, maybe they are under pressure to perform in order to ensure reasonable earnings. There can never be a solution until the full extent of how these operations work is known. Then there is the media perspective that they cannot dig too deep as they fear for their own safety.

The police also need to change their attitude & start getting these dangerous drivers off the road before there is a tragedy. Surely there are traffic patrol police who can do more than wait on the corner to hand out tickets for no helmets or licences.

The media could & should be doing a much better job at following up on these tragedies. How about some anonymous interviews with staff, particularly drivers, to get their point of view. We all speculate about how they are being forced to meet almost impossible deadlines but no one really knows. Maybe the drivers are lazy & do not start their journeys early enough, maybe they are under pressure to perform in order to ensure reasonable earnings. There can never be a solution until the full extent of how these operations work is known. Then there is the media perspective that they cannot dig too deep as they fear for their own safety.

The police also need to change their attitude & start getting these dangerous drivers off the road before there is a tragedy. Surely there are traffic patrol police who can do more than wait on the corner to hand out tickets for no helmets or licences.

Can't say for sure about airport transfers etc., but do know for sure that the schedules they have on the tours are impossible to meet.

"Before there is a tragedy"?? Too late, bro. It's happened more than once.

The police are at least partly responsible. There is no logical reason for someone who has a history of reckless driving to be allowed to drive passengers... not to mention the fact that there is no such thing as patrolling or ticketing for reckless driving. Everyone is well aware that there is virtually no punishment for running red lights, passing on the wrong side, or doing basically whatever you want. It's wild out there!

"Before there is a tragedy"?? Too late, bro. It's happened more than once.

The police are at least partly responsible. There is no logical reason for someone who has a history of reckless driving to be allowed to drive passengers... not to mention the fact that there is no such thing as patrolling or ticketing for reckless driving. Everyone is well aware that there is virtually no punishment for running red lights, passing on the wrong side, or doing basically whatever you want. It's wild out there!

I am not your bro & I have seen far too many of these tragedies in Phuket, including the one this morning. To be more precise. If the police got off their butts & started getting these maniacs off the road they could actually prevent some the tragic accidents from happening. However, with the Thai mindset of what will be will be & living in the now nothing is likely to change. I am surprised we have not had the usual lip service from someone in "authority" yet.

What a tragedy - a young girl's life taken away as it had only just begun - Deepest condolences to her parents, family and friends for what must be an unbearable loss.

Last week at exactly the same spot heading south a similarly marked Mini Bus (saw the name as it later overtook me) drove about 1m from my vehicle's rear whilst flashing its lights constantly.

It then proceeded to overtake at high speed by crossing over to the oncoming lanes at the other side of the hashed yellow lines beyond Bake.

Kicked myself later for failing to note the vehicle's registration number, but was simply just too shocked and be honest fearful for my personal safety to do anything other than right well out of this particular mad man's way.

The driver then rejoined my lane and proceeded to then lean right out of his window whilst looking directly backwards in my direction shouting and gesturing in an animated fashion for quite some time!

Maniacs like this should not be allowed to drive any motor vehicle, let alone public transport vehicles which I understand require an additional class permission endorsement on the driving licence.

How many more tragedies will we have to endure before the Phuket Police actually bother to start enforcing the law on Phuket's Roads by clamping down on dangerous driving?

Edited by digitalchromakey

Yep, Terrible tragedy for the poor souls involved ...........how many more lives...........young and alike will be slautered before anybody takes responsibility and address this weekly onslaught of life which occurs all the time..............just a sickening thought which is becoming a daily reality reading the local rag................as much as I love Thailand this really gets my goat..................please address this serious situation and start saving lives............. But then again how can you???. it's not your drivers or vehicle

????. you can always blame the Tooth Fairies or Father Xmas.........

This Pegasus bus company has sprung up and grown enormously this last year. Seems to be catering for Russian tourists. See lots of mini buses and large coaches all over the island with the Pegasus company name splashed over the bus. something wrong here when Pegasus claims they don't own the buses or employ the drivers. Ok that might be true but still their brand name splashed on all these coaches.