Ao-Nang Krabi Mafia

nontabury

It seems the TukTuk drivers are copying their cousins in Phuket,this afternoon I went to the beach at the end of Nopperat Tara near the pier, I wanted to park in a vacant spot but was told by one of the Tuktuk drivers that I couldn't, because according to him, that area of the car park is now reserved solely for them,so I then queried this new ruling which led to one of the other drivers taking an aggressive stance.At this point my wife suggested it would be safer for us just to move away,which we did.

It's basically the same on Ao-Nang beach road,and outside some of the hotels,I'm just wondering have other people noticed this development.

if you are talking about the spots outside the toilets ,they have been parking there as long as i can remember which is fair enough really, any other spot in the car park is fine.

the whole of ao nang is now a nightmare to park ,what pisses me off is there are hundreds of bike parkin spots and you still find some dopes that park bikes in car spaces,there is also a couple of spots along the beach front where the shop owner puts a plastic chair to block the spot in front of his shop,i just get out move the chair out the way as this is mostly the indians and not the thais anyway.

Ao nang is pretty XXXXX now its so small basically just a 1.5km beachfront road, the amount off hotels and accommodation thats been built is unreal it makes every including the local islands so overcrowded ,soi 8 between ao nang and nopparat is so busy now and thats a dead end road

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

At least Ao Nang beach and Krabi are small enough that it's easy to walk anywhere, providing you are not physically crippled. Nowhere in Thailand is suitable for people who are physically handicapped. i won't say mentally handicapped because it's quite obvious there are many who fit that category. Thailand really wasn't laid out for vehicles and they are struggling just trying to play catch up..

Edited by LivinginKata
insulting remark removed

if you are talking about the spots outside the toilets ,they have been parking there as long as i can remember which is fair enough really, any other spot in the car park is fine.

the whole of ao nang is now a nightmare to park ,what pisses me off is there are hundreds of bike parkin spots and you still find some dopes that park bikes in car spaces,there is also a couple of spots along the beach front where the shop owner puts a plastic chair to block the spot in front of his shop,i just get out move the chair out the way as this is mostly the indians and not the thais anyway.

Ao nang is pretty fuc_ked now its so small basically just a 1.5km beachfront road, the amount off hotels and accommodation thats been built is unreal it makes every including the local islands so overcrowded ,soi 8 between ao nang and nopparat is so busy now and thats a dead end road

No I'm not referring to the spot outside of the toilets,this is an additional area on the left as you enter,near one of the entrances through the fence.

You will remember that on the beachfront road there used to be only a few taxis's parked up, now it's usually anywhere between 10 to 40,maybe this is what the nopparaTara car park will finish up like.

Oh I know where you mean yes all the minivans also park there,really you can blame the national park people for that because when they put the new Pier in they blocked the road so you couldn't drive in one way and out the other another great bit of planning in this country let's make the road a dead to cause more mayhem and congestion

what pisses me off is there are hundreds of bike parkin spots and you still find some dopes that park bikes in car spaces,

And what about the dopes who park their cars in the motorcycle spaces?

And while we're on the subject, the police should stop the motorcycle rental places from occupying long stretches of the road side with their motorbikes. All they need is one of each model, maybe even just a large picture.

At least Ao Nang beach and Krabi are small enough that it's easy to walk anywhere, providing you are not physically crippled. Nowhere in Thailand is suitable for people who are physically handicapped. i won't say mentally handicapped because it's quite obvious there are many who fit that category. Thailand really wasn't laid out for vehicles and they are struggling just trying to play catch up..

I think your missing the point, how come these "characters" are allowed to commandeer the public car spaces, and if you try and point this out to them, you are opening yourself to a lot of trouble,and this goes for the Thai people as well as Farangs.

I think your missing the point, how come these "characters" are allowed to commandeer the public car spaces, and if you try and point this out to them, you are opening yourself to a lot of trouble,and this goes for the Thai people as well as Farangs.

Because you're dealing with a pack of thugs.

what pisses me off is there are hundreds of bike parkin spots and you still find some dopes that park bikes in car spaces,

And what about the dopes who park their cars in the motorcycle spaces?

And while we're on the subject, the police should stop the motorcycle rental places from occupying long stretches of the road side with their motorbikes. All they need is one of each model, maybe even just a large picture.

Great idea there but never gonna happen ,the rental place next to thepolice station actually has there bikes on the pavement aswell so you have to walk single file and give way to on coming pedestrians

I went and played Ta-klor with the Muslim taxi drivers there the other day. There's currently a tent up (or there was on Loy Krathong) there and a Ta-klor net.

There was even a lady playing, which I'd literally never seen before.

I drove.

No one mentioned anything about paying for a parking space. I parked infront of Krua Thara.

I then went and watched the motorized parachuters, it was bliss.

I am not being an apologist. I think it's likely that few of you actually get to know these people as a permanent resident (and act like the uniformed proverbial "Bull in the China Shop".) That's the main reason you suffer.

I've seen scarier "thugs" in a kindergarten.

They make about $200 pcm, don't begrudge them an extra bit of pocket money, if they're clever enough to milk you. That's your problem. They're not going to kill you over 20 baht.

If you want it to be policed and have Western rule here, take it up with the local government.

To rage against them is the ultimate exercise in futility.

@taninthai

Your constant anti-Thai agenda is wearisome.

Very wearisome.

I can't even slightly fathom why you run a business here whilst implicitly hating Thais and Thailand.

Just a quick peruse of your posting history on TV, which anyone can easily do, shows just how much you hate it.

It seems to me you'd just like to have the sun, sand, sea, palm trees and food all for yourself and your clientele, but not, the people, religions, culture, gov't, police, Thai business owners and lifestyle.

LIFE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY AND IT NEVER WILL.

Carry on being a stress-head all of your life, but it'll do your heart and blood pressure no good at all.

From your photos, I think I've worked out which business it is you run.

^Lol. That's all I have to say about that.

Edited by ManInSurat

Dont worry maninsurat I shut the business in April and am going home completely had enough of it ,actually wanted to shut it 2 months ago but the misses has financial commitments to run it through high season.

Yeah the motorised paragliders are great woke me and several customers up at 7 am this morning flying all over the top of the resort and there was me thinking this was national park and all that stuff supposedly banned ,give me back the sound of the longtails any day of the week.

P.s yes I'm pretty sure I realised who you were a long time ago I think you been to my place and met me not 100% sure though ,if you are from uk and have afriend called Terry. Then I'm 100% sure.....

Edited by taninthai

Dont worry maninsurat I shut the business in April and am going home completely had enough of it ,actually wanted to shut it 2 months ago but the misses has financial commitments to run it through high season.

Yeah the motorised paragliders are great woke me and several customers up at 7 am this morning flying all over the top of the resort and there was me thinking this was national park and all that stuff supposedly banned ,give me back the sound of the longtails any day of the week.

P.s yes I'm pretty sure I realised who you were a long time ago I think you been to my place and met me not 100% sure though ,if you are from uk and have afriend called Terry. Then I'm 100% sure.....

No, you don't know who I am. I don't have a friend called Terry.

I haven't been to your place, I just think I know where it is from the photos you posted the other day, saying the fishermen were messing your place up.

Do whatever makes you happy and have a long healthy life.

wai2.gif

I went and played Ta-klor with the Muslim taxi drivers there the other day. There's currently a tent up (or there was on Loy Krathong) there and a Ta-klor net.

I drove.

No one mentioned anything about paying for a parking space. I parked infront of Krua Thara.

I am not being an apologist. I think it's likely that few of you actually get to know these people as a permanent resident (and act like the uniformed proverbial "Bull in the China Shop".) That's the main reason you suffer.

They make about $200 pcm, don't begrudge them an extra bit of pocket money, if they're clever enough to milk you. That's your problem. They're not going to kill you over 20 baht.

If you want it to be policed and have Western rule here, take it up with the local government.

@taninthai

Very wearisome.

I can't even slightly fathom why you run a business here whilst implicitly hating Thais and Thailand.

Just a quick peruse of your posting history on TV, which anyone can easily do, shows just how much you hate it.

It seems to me you'd just like to have the sun, sand, sea, palm trees and food all for yourself and your clientele, but not, the people, religions, culture, gov't, police, Thai business owners and lifestyle.

Carry on being a stress-head all of your life, but it'll do your heart and blood pressure no good at all.

I think you need to re-read YOURE post 3rd October on the Pro's and Con's of Ao-Nang, according to you the local Muslims can do no wrong.

tuk tuk mafia?most of them are my wifes familly ,im 100 percent certain they are not mafia.

There told were they can park by the goverment ,it changes yearly as aonang etc developes.

The same as the food carts have moved, as krabi resort is opening a row of shops.

The locall aonang community doesnt deserve this ,

you shoulld get to know who the real mafia are .

• Like 1

tuk tuk mafia?most of them are my wifes familly ,im 100 percent certain they are not mafia.

There told were they can park by the goverment ,it changes yearly as aonang etc developes.

The same as the food carts have moved, as krabi resort is opening a row of shops.

I don't know if the local government tells these people where to park,but there are certainly no OFFICIAL signs to support your statement. I have friends who have been told by these People

that they cannot park in certain areas,some have even had their cars damaged(scratched) when they have DISOBEYED these PEOPLE.

This morning I counted 30 tuktuks/taxis, parked up on Ao-nang front,thus preventing potential

Customers from visiting the local shops/restaurants,surely two would be sufficient,the other 28 could be parked elsewhere,to be radioed when one of these two taxis departed on obtaining passengers.This would still enable the taxi people to make a living,while not seeing to threaten

other road users.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

Gotto say cant really say i have never had a problem with the tuk tuk in ao nang speak thai with them and they are polite enough,the few times they ask for silly prices just again speak thai, we do get a few turn up at the resort sometimes trying to charge ludicrous prices to our customers the misses is well respected in the area and dont hold back and gives it to them straight they soon back down.

As for the term mafia it so overused anyone that has been in the area knows there are a few influential people and families in the area and its mostly the northern end off nopparat thara that is controlled by them hence no development.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

I am sure your Tuk-Tuk family are angels. The white songtheaws that run from town to Ao Nang are charging tourists up to 1000 Baht for the 50 baht ride...scum

• Like 1

I drove.

@taninthai

Very wearisome.

Really interesting to see a different point of view.. but as we know, particular with those involved in the Transport industry of the south, it is not their size, nor their immediate apparent menace which is of concern - but rather what they have hidden inside their tuktuk, or the number they have to sms for "help" (kicking you to the dirt) when they perceive they have a problem. I speak Thai fairly well, it sounds like you do also.. I would imagine both yours and my experiences would be very different from most others whom encounter the Tuk Tuk, Samlor, Songthiew and Taxi Mafias of Thailand.

They're not mafia ....they're "clubs " !

Taxi club of Ao Nang ....Longtail boat club ,etc etc ... Select membership mind you , can't join unless you're invited and you can't be seen to compete or bad things may come your way .

Gotto say cant really say i have never had a problem with the tuk tuk in ao nang speak thai with them and they are polite enough,the few times they ask for silly prices just again speak thai, we do get a few turn up at the resort sometimes trying to charge ludicrous prices to our customers the misses is well respected in the area and dont hold back and gives it to them straight they soon back down.

As for the term mafia it so overused anyone that has been in the area knows there are a few influential people and families in the area and its mostly the northern end off nopparat thara that is controlled by them hence no development.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

If the Mafia stops development would that not be a good thing for the existing developments. Or are they all 100% full?

Not mafia just influential families holding land ,they won't sell the land cause they already have money ,from what I see they just like to keep the land in the family.

Hotels 100% full mmm maybe Xmas and January the rest of the year huge oversupply of accomadation.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I drove.

@taninthai

Very wearisome.

clap2.gif

AT LAST...someone with common sense