What's The Best Hospital In Chiang Mai?

The Dan Sai Kid

BEST HOSPITAL IN THE PROVINCE  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've often wondered where is the best place to go for medical attention in Chiang Mai. I usually go to Chiang Mai Ram, but I think it's overpriced and, to be honest, I've never been completely happy with the service.

I think I've covered most of hospitals, but feel free to suggest anywhere else.

Edited by Grant

Grant, with all due respect, I still think that doctors' abilities are more important than the hospitals they belong to. Therefore I believe this poll will be greatly subjective. But if it is about other things, such as quality of service, cleanness, pricing, etc., then we can have a go.

Edited by Gulliver_in_LOS

Grant, with all due respect, I still think that doctors' abilities are more important than the hospitals they belong to. Therefore I believe this poll will be greatly subjective. But if it is about other things, such as quality of service, cleanness, pricing, etc., then we can have a go.

I was thinking about the overall picture. I would really like to know where the people in Chiang Mai who are happy with their healthcare go. There tends to be criticism of hospitals, but not so many recomendations.

Well, different hospitals have different expertise, and different people have different ailments.

So it's difficult to compare, unless based on a common thread.

For example if you have a common cold/flu/cough, which hospital/clinic would you go to?

And how is the service like, the waiting time, and do you feel the charges are reasonable?

McCormick charges about two hundred over baht for the above, included 120b for consultation, and the rest for medicine. Waiting time is about an hour.

Any comparison or recommendation from our CM folks?

Which is CM1 and which is 2?

I use the one by the moat near Central department store and the CM Orchid Hotel, very happy with it, expensive, just paid 13,000 to be an overnight guest with a stomach complaint. Is that 1?

Yes. 2 is just off the superhighway going East

post-566-1139921418_thumb.jpg

I put in my vote for Maharaj because I continue to have good experiences there. And as a Thai friend said, most good doctors are there at least one day a week and many are based there and often other hospitals may need to bring in a doctor from there.

As an example the opthamologist recommended in another thread (Ajarn Nimitr Ittipunkul) sees outpatients every Wednesday at Maharaj as well as operating and working with inpatients there other days. Additionally he sees outpatients at Ram and his own private clinic. Where you see him depends on what ambience you want and how much you want to pay. I saw him at the 7th floor eye clinic of Maharaj as a registered patient of the Family Medical Clinic of Maharaj.

I again experienced no significant waiting time. I was quickly taken through two preliminary eye exams and patiently waited for about 17 minutes to see Doc Nimitr himself to get a special retinal exam. There were hundreds of "salt of the earth" Thais as well as other more affluent Thais present in this clinic to see various doctors, I guess. When I saw the number of people, I thought sure I would be in for a long wait, but not so. Some may not enjoy the throng of people and basic surroundings, but for me it was pure pleasure and I enjoyed some simple exchanges with some very sweet people. I do not recall seeing another farang there at that time.

The total cost for the exams and visit was 180 baht. Not sure what the cost would be in his private clinic or at Ram but in my home area in the States it costs over 5,000 baht just for the retinal exam.

On a side note I discovered that Doc Nimitr has a great sense of humor. When I got in to see him I thought perhaps I had been shuttled to an alternate doctor as this doctor seemed not to speak any English and on the phone the day before Doc Nimitr had clearly spoken English when suggesting I might prefer to see him in Ram or his private clinic. This doc only spoke Thai with me and was very patient and clear in his speech to help me to understand. After about 10 minutes of wringing every ounce of Thai out of me and pushing my understanding of Thai beyond former limits, he suddenly switched to perfect English.

We both got a good laugh out of the encounter and went on to have a nice conversation in English. I think he did this to get back at me for coming to the govt. hospital and to see how "Thai" I was and see how I would react. All good fun and he is a great guy as well as a good doc.

As another side note he seemed surprised that I had no damage to my eyes and had near perfect vision in every way despite having had extremely high blood sugar levels for a long time. I told him I had been taking ayur vedic herbs to couteract the diabetic complications and was now embarking on a complete elimination of the diabetes with its high sugar level as well and hoped to have good results within a few months. When I first discovered the diabetes 5 years ago my vision was already quickly going to pieces, especially reading. Now, no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually Ram1 offers me the best in terms of personal services, but I only suggest them to others with some cautions, like beware of your doc, and be very proactive yourself.

I couldn't have said it better Ajarn. Took the words out of my mouth.

Ram1 has been really super for me. Have had two major operations there. One for a large lump in my neck (my mother had tounge cancer). Cost about 30k baht for a 3 hour operation. Negative cancer. Then, last year, I ran over a dog on my motorci crashing hard. Helmet saved my life. After much confusion and a 78 yo Dr. wanting to cut me open because he said my bladder was ruptured (Ultrasound revealed this but many days later found out to be incorrect), I decided to get a 2nd opinion (not wanting a 78 yo cutting into me). After a torturous (medically wise) 10 day stay at Ram1, being correctly diagnosed with bladder cancer, and 100k baht later, I was completely cured of my cancer. No invasive surgery meaning no cutting through the skin...access was gained through other venues....thus the torturous part.

Is 100k a lot? Yep! Sure is. But when I compare it to what I would have had to pay in my home country, the price was right. I'll bet I would have had to pay 100k just for the 10 day stay, not including any medical treatment. Bargain if you ask me. Especially when the operation was a total success. No chemo either.

I found being proactive is a must. If you know anything about medical treatment, use it. I found myself telling them pretty much how to treat me. And they listened.

jb

As another side note he seemed surprised that I had no damage to my eyes and had near perfect vision in every way despite having had extremely high blood sugar levels for a long time. I told him I had been taking ayur vedic herbs to couteract the diabetic complications and was now embarking on a complete elimination of the diabetes with its high sugar level as well and hoped to have good results within a few months. When I first discovered the diabetes 5 years ago my vision was already quickly going to pieces, especially reading. Now, no problem.

Can you give us a bit more info about the Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes pls?