Granite Countertops

User3

In the midst of a kitchen renovation. My wife wants granite a solid granite countertop on the island (1530mm x 930mm). In talking to 2 kitchen suppliers they are very loath to deal with any one that cuts solid granite. This is, according to them, due to the fact that the stone people are a bit free with their interpretations of the dimensions given and often produce countertops that are incorrect size and then refuse to take them back because their supplied top is 'close enough'.

Has anyone had any experience with solid granite countertop producers in the Bangkok area?? Any recommendations or words of warning. At present we are likely going to go with LG Hi-MACS Acrylic which is a sort of composite material and looks like the 'best of the rest'.

Any pointers to a supplier appreciated.

Your best bet is probably Boonthaworn, just google it, a few branches in Bkk.

I dont understand what you are saying, get the kitchen suppliers to install the kitchen, then get Boonthaworn to fit the tops, if the tops dont fit you dont pay, they usually will oversize then correct on site.

Can you be sure your kitchen supplier will build to the exact dimensions?

There are usually small independant granite supply shops all over Bkk, try a local one first and have your wife explain the problem.

'Plastic' people that say that 'stone' people are not doing their job correctly. :)

No good, no pay is the solution. And make that very clear when ordering. Let the shop come to your place for the measurements and state very clear how much overhang you want. Check the measurements and verify that they wrote it down good. (The times i had to check that in my own western country with so called professionals, prepared me for this).

Then it is just wait and see and if it is according your order and satisfaction then pay.

My experience with the granite people is that they will not take it for granted if you give them the dimensions you measured, byt will come to your home and take the size themselves to be sure nothing will be wrong.After that they will polish the edges of the countertop according to their measurements and your requirements, but the final cuts will happen at your place when they come install the granite.

That's very much our experience to Jbrain. The guys turned up with panels cut approximately to size with two edges finished then finalised sizing by trimming the 'rough' edge.

With an island it's going to be more complex but once the structure is in get the granite people to come and measure up to get the actual dimensions required.

Sounds like the 2 kitchen suppliers you have merely want you to buy a counter-top that they supply (ie: one that's crap). BTW Quartz Reconstituted stone (brand examples: Caesarstone, Messastone etc) can be just as good if not better than granite & a lot cheaper. It also doesn't need sealant. I went with a Chinese no name black galaxy colour in my A$30,000 (Sydney) Kitchen & its fantastic - 100% happy with the decision.

Sounds like the 2 kitchen suppliers you have merely want you to buy a counter-top that they supply (ie: one that's crap). BTW Quartz Reconstituted stone (brand examples: Caesarstone, Messastone etc) can be just as good if not better than granite & a lot cheaper. It also doesn't need sealant. I went with a Chinese no name black galaxy colour in my A$30,000 (Sydney) Kitchen & its fantastic - 100% happy with the decision.

My impression is that the good quality composites like Corian are more expensive than granite.

My impression is that the good quality composites like Corian are more expensive than granite.

Thanks for the input! We have decided on LG HI-MACS acrylic tops. They won't handle the heat like genuine granite, but have some other characteristics (lack of staining, 15 year warranty, ease of installation and wide color/pattern choice. One of the reasons we decided to go with this (more expensive, sadly) option is the fact that my wife works (gov't) and does not really have enough time to go chasing and arguing with granite suppliers. She did phone a few and talked to them but found them...er.. unfocused. And I don't have the vocabulary to hold any sort of meaningful conversation about this subject and besides often head of on short jobs for a month or so on very short notice so she would be all alone in dealing with them. Easier to deal with the cupboard people, just not cheaper but I guess convenience comes at a cost for sure.

Indeed you are correct, this countertop is much more expensive than solid granite. Well, much more than Thai granite but one of the other issues is that the range of colors and patterns is very limited in Thai granite. If you want anything other than what is available locally then it will cost about the same as the acrylic and I'd guess that warranty and installation issues would be really a huge hassle.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 12/12/2012 at 9:16 AM, User3 said:

Thanks for the input! We have decided on LG HI-MACS acrylic tops. They won't handle the heat like genuine granite, but have some other characteristics (lack of staining, 15 year warranty, ease of installation and wide color/pattern choice. One of the reasons we decided to go with this (more expensive, sadly) option is the fact that my wife works (gov't) and does not really have enough time to go chasing and arguing with granite suppliers. She did phone a few and talked to them but found them...er.. unfocused. And I don't have the vocabulary to hold any sort of meaningful conversation about this subject and besides often head of on short jobs for a month or so on very short notice so she would be all alone in dealing with them. Easier to deal with the cupboard people, just not cheaper but I guess convenience comes at a cost for sure.

Indeed you are correct, this countertop is much more expensive than solid granite. Well, much more than Thai granite but one of the other issues is that the range of colors and patterns is very limited in Thai granite. If you want anything other than what is available locally then it will cost about the same as the acrylic and I'd guess that warranty and installation issues would be really a huge hassle.

Thanks again.

Acrylic ? Can you tell me if you are still happy with it years later ? thank you.

We had granite worktops in our kitchen when we lived in Bangkok. Dropped the idea when we moved north because we found that the granite surface pattern camouflaged any dirt and crumbs on the work surface.

• Like 1