Airline Trip Reports. Let Us Know About Your Flight!

craigt3365

Airline: EVA Air

Route: BKK - LHR - BKK

Flight: BR67 and 68

Aircraft: 777

Price: 105,000฿

Purchase EVA website

Dates: Out Oct 15 rtn Dec 15

Class: Business

Seat Configuration: 1-2-1

Check-In and Immigration: Seperate Business class check in at both locations and fast track for security/immigration

Baggage: 30kg outbound but rules changed in Nov so 40kg return leg

Lounges: BKK is EVA lounge and good. LHR is Air Canada lounge and also good.

Limousine Service: none

In-flight Entertainment: , large screens, noise cancelling headphones

In-flight Internet: no

In-flight Service: Very good on all flights

Seat Comfort: Good

Food Quality: Very good on BKK-LHR not so good LHR-BKK

Overall: Only real let down and it's a constant is food LHR-BKK otherwise excellent flights and service.

Airline: EVA Air

Route: BKK - LHR - BKK

Flight: BR67 and 68

Aircraft: 777

Price: 105,000฿

Purchase EVA website

Dates: Out Oct 15 rtn Dec 15

Seat Configuration: 1-2-1

Check-In and Immigration: Seperate Business class check in at both locations and fast track for security/immigration

Baggage: 30kg outbound but rules changed in Nov so 40kg return leg

Lounges: BKK is EVA lounge and good. LHR is Air Canada lounge and also good.

In-flight Entertainment: , large screens, noise cancelling headphones

Seat Comfort: Good

Food Quality: Very good on BKK-LHR not so good LHR-BKK

Overall: Only real let down and it's a constant is food LHR-BKK otherwise excellent flights and service.

Agree EVA is a very nice business product...I've taken them many times from Bangkok across the Pacific Pond to San Francisco. I assume EVA had introduced their newish Royal Laurel business-class seats (180 degree lie-flats) on the Taipei to London 777s...as they have done on the Taiwan to USA routes. I agree too that the food is sometimes a letdown...at least the western options but they make a great onboard latte.

Airline: Cathay Pacific

Ticket Price: $1.700

How Purchased (direct, agent, wholesaler, etc): CX Website

Dates: Oct 4 - Jan 5

Class of Service: price for Premium Economy.

Route: JFK-HKG-BKK, BKK-KHG-JFK

Aircraft Type: 773 ER

Seat Configuration (i.e. 3/4/3) 2/4/2

Stopover City (If any): Hong Kong

Check-in Location (good or bad?): JFK check in always easy

Security check JFK, very bad even in Premium Line

Immigration (good or bad?): BKK, very good 20 min.

Excess Bag Fees (if any): 2 free bags 23Kg per bag

Lounges Used: BA in JFK, very bad service, empty fridges (3-4 Beer). Only some dry sandwiches with no fillings and cup noodle soup. This lounge have always been very bad. BA have a pre flight buffet for the hit business passenger so they don't provide food in the lounge. If you like Champagne you have to ask and you get a half glass. This lounge us a disgrace.

The HKG lounges are excellent, good food and excellent service.

Limo Service Provided: none for business

In-flight Entertainment: excellent

In-flight Cabin Service (good or bad?): very good in cabin service in all classe. In premium Economy they have welcome drink and hot towel.

Seat Comfort: Nice comfortable seats

Food Quality: excellent food, higher quality then economy

On Time Performance: were delayed due to heavy rail wind, arrived at scheduled time

Comments: Have been flying around the world for 25 years due to work but now only to visit family in Thailand. I'm very pleased with Cathay, use to fly Thai when they had direct flights JFK-BKK and it was a excellent product in Premium Economy. Have to say at that time the best in the industry, but it was cancelled 7 years ago. Then started to fly Cathay. I fly several times per year this route and are upgraded to business quite often and their business class is excellent. A very happy surprise was that this time I booked the ticket price with Cathay had gone down from $2.400 to $1.700 low season. Don't know if this is a result of the class action lawsuit for airlines trafficking Continental US and Asia for the last 5 years.

Airline: Air Astana

Route: BKK-Almaty-Astana

Class: business

Price: 56 000 baht one way

Check in- normal priority

Limo: nil

Lounge:CIP Louis Tavern First class - clean but nothing to get excited about.

Plane: 767

Seat: 1-2-1 configuration to Almaty and then 2-2-2 to Astana. The business class seats were lay flat on segment one but not long enough for me at 6'1". Nowhere near as comfortable as Qatar or Emirates. Not un-similar to Thai airways seating.

On-board: Reasonable service, limited wine and spirits selection, limited food choices but what was on offer was reasonable.

Surprise: the domestic business class sector was surprisingly good,though it's the only domestic business class lounge that I have ever been to where you had to purchase coffee or nibbles, which was a letdown.

Verdict: a reasonable direct flight but nothing to get excited about.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Airline: Emirates First Class

Route: Bangkok to Frankfurt Return

Flight Outbound: EK373/EK043 (Dep. 20:35...Arr. 07:40 [next day]...Transit 2.5hrs...Total Time 17 hrs.)

Flight Inbound: EK046/EK384 (Dep. 14:30...Arr. 12:05 [next day]...Transit 3.2 hrs...Total Time 15 hrs.)

Price: 114,000 baht

Purchase Channel: Emirates website

Check-In: First Class

Limo: 4 Transfers (three used)

Lounge: Bangkok Emirates Business/First ; Dubai Emirates First Class; Frankfurt Emirates Business/First

Aircraft: Airbus A380 and Boeing 777-ER

Seat: Suite, 1-2-1 configuration on 4 segments

Introduction

So this is a trip report of my first time flying First Class on an airline. My normal class of travel is Business Class, but when I was pricing out flights for a vacation to Germany last summer (yes, I know I'm a little slow in cranking out this TR). [separate Germany TR to follow.] I noticed on the Emirates website what seemed to be a pricing anomaly...First Class to Frankfurt from Bangkok was basically the same price as Business (actually, it was a couple thousand baht cheaper). I have since come to realize that this is a frequent occurrence on this flight...that First Class and Business Class are basically the same price. I don't know if this is limited to just this route or why this should be the case...but it is a neat little pricing quirk for those taking this flight on Emirates.

post-167660-0-09172000-1453014566_thumb.

OMG at Swampy

General Impressions...First Class vs. Business Class

I have allot of experience flying business class on many different airlines, primarily the trans-pacific route from Bangkok to Los Angeles. This includes most of the Asian carriers and United (and even the old Northwest Airlines in the day). I have no comparison, obviously, for first class on other airlines...but Emirates is generally acknowledged to have one of the better first class products in the sky. So the BIG question...is First Class worth the premium fare...generally around 2x Business Class and 5x Economy? I think it depends on the airline and the price differential.

The Emirates Business Class product is not that luxurious compared to some competitors, and in some of their planes, it's a downright joke (think the 2-3-2 seating on many of their planes) so First Class is a real step up. Even Business on the A380, while 1-2-1 seating is used, is still not very spacious and the cabin is huge...almost like a premium economy class. However, many of the perks of Emirates First are available to Business passengers, like free airport limousine transfers and use of lounges, which at outstations like Bangkok/Frankfurt, are the same lounges. Making the jump to First is a bit like that from Economy to Business...once done, can one ever go back? It's a tough call. I would say on Emirates, until they revamp the Business Class in-air product, which is slated to be phased in over the next couple years, then First Class is a nice upgrade. However, when the revamp is complete, it may no longer be such a useful proposition.

The primary differences between Emirates First and Business as I see them are as follows:

Smaller private cabin of 14 passengers in private suites seating,

A wider selection of premium spirits, with free-flow of $3000 bottles of cognacs and such in First,

On the A380, a shower spa in the First cabin,

In Dubai, a possibly better selection of food and drinks, and smaller crowds, in the First lounge (but I didn't verify this),

More personalized and attentive service during the flight,

Lots of Emirates swag...PJs, Bags, amenity kit, writing kit, etc.

Is this worth the price premium of First...probably not, but if you can afford it, it certainly is a nice way to travel. Below are the pictures and narrative of my Emirates First Class flight from Bangkok to Frankfurt and return.

Let's get started...with some food at EK's Bangkok lounge...

post-167660-0-23864400-1453017164_thumb.

post-167660-0-80683600-1453017170_thumb.

Let's get onboard...First Class Suite...

post-167660-0-63510200-1453020426_thumb.

Suite's mini-bar...

post-167660-0-49552800-1453020473_thumb.

IFE and Seat Controler Tablet...

post-167660-0-43786000-1453020486_thumb.

EK First Class table setting with Arabic mezza plate and tortellini...

post-167660-0-90285800-1453023026_thumb.

post-167660-0-99535400-1453022967_thumb.

First Class Lounge Dubai

The First Class Lounge in Dubai (I believe there are 3 of them...one in each terminal) is a huge affair taking up the better part of an entire floor of the terminal. In some ways, it is rather cold and sterile, with lots of pretty non-descript sitting, rest, and eating areas. There are also showers, a cigar lounge (not free...but lots of free food & drinks), and business center. I don't remember is there was a spa or hair salon/barber...I don't think so. There is nothing "cozy" and particularly upscale about the place...think institutional decor and you've got the picture. This impression probably wasn't helped by the fact that it was basically empty both time I transited through the lounge.

I guess the main purpose of this lounge is to stuff its patrons full of food and in that respect, it does a first-class job. The jetways to the planes connect directly to the lounge so passengers can basically walk directly to the jetway from the lounge, which is nice. There are basically food service buffet stations at most gates and several more larger buffets and ala carte restaurants spread throughout the lounge. The following are some pictures of the food stations and my 02:00 "breakfast"...

Salads...starters...snacks...bakery...

post-167660-0-47074300-1453024277_thumb.

post-167660-0-02822500-1453024293_thumb.

post-167660-0-54779000-1453024303_thumb.

post-167660-0-65026100-1453024313_thumb.

Time for a bread basket, waffles, and panna-cotta...

post-167660-0-47376600-1453024840_thumb.

post-167660-0-94546800-1453024851_thumb.

post-167660-0-74815400-1453024862_thumb.

post-167660-0-50578100-1453024871_thumb.

Plenty of Reading Material...

post-167660-0-61539400-1453026812_thumb.

post-167660-0-55640000-1453026791_thumb.

Dubai Airport First Class Gate Transfer Bus...

post-167660-0-53056600-1453026442_thumb.

End Part One.

Edited by CharlieH
standardised font.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Airline: Qatar Airways Business Class

Route: Bangkok ~ Miami

Flight Outbound: QR 837/QR 777 (Dep. 0140...Arr. 1645 Doha Transit 3h 55m...Total Time 27 hrs.)

Flight Inbound: Pending

Price: 191,531 total, two tickets.

Purchase Channel: QR website, 30% off promotion, December 2015

Check-In: Business Class

Limo:

Lounge: TG Swampy, QR @ Doha

Aircraft: Airbus A380 and Boeing 777

Seat: 1-2-1 / 2-2-2

No queue for check in, smooth movement through Swampy security and immigration. TG lounge nothing to write home about, but fine. Service on board A380 up to usual QR standards. My first time on QR A380, seat pod felt a bit cramped for me, similar to CX last summer to LAX, but everything worked as advertised, no issues. Wife's petite frame fits the space quite nicely. This was our first time back through Doha in 3+ years, so it was nice to park up at a jetway instead of the old bus tour around the tarmac. The new terminal lounge was LARGE, almost impersonal, but still comfortable for our relatively short wait period. B777 to Miami was fine but after the bells and whistles of the A380, the contrast was obvious, for obvious reasons of course. We used to fly the 777 between Mid East and Bangkok, and actually prefer sitting next to each other (2-2-2), and there's just enough room for her to get out to the aisle even if I'm in full flat mode. Being a 16 hour flight, we availed the on-demand menu and enjoyed some light fare before a full dinner meal a few hours before landing at Miami.

Another great flight with QR at a good promotion price.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just returned from London Heathrow with British Airways, BA 009.

Boeing 777-300-ER in World Traveller ( economy ).

seating 3-3-3. Plenty of leg room for me and comfortable seats for me.

Due to leave LHR at 1605 arrive BKK at 0940 next day. Left at 1635 arrived at 0940, according to the moving map 11 hours flying time.

From queuing at bag drop at Heathrow to exiting security was 15 minutes. Had to wait 40 minutes at BKK carousel for my bag to arrive, along with everyone else.

Good flight, food was good for airline food, IFE not brilliant but its an individual thing isnt it?

Crew were good, plenty of drinks and snacks available.

£490, return next May.

I find BA's 777 seats more comfortable that both Emirates and EVA, they really hurt base of my spine.

Edited by nong38

• 2 months later...

BA flight 010 to lhr on 8th August.

Boeing 777-200.

Left 20 minutes late due to take off queue, arrived London on time, slowed over Europe to avoid circling so straight in on time.

Good flight, Ife better, food good, crew good.

Bonus if you know they now have cans of Cornish Tribute real ale.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from London on BA009, arrived thursday morning at 0940.

Aircraft Boeing 777-200 with Rolls Royce Trent 800 engines.

Left LHR at 1620. Good flight no turbulence, plane had plenty of spare seats.

IFE was ok but we had a new moving map, much better than before, a more 3d experience.

Good crew, food was good, flight was good the touchdown was exceptional my wife did think we had arrived!

Little tip for passengers at LHR T5, the Thistle hotel is a good bet, to get there from the terminal its bus stand 6 and bus number 423 which runs about every 20 minutes and stops just across the road from the hotels, you can use an oyster card on it, the hoppa  bus or pods are £5 each and are no quicker.

The great thing about this hotel is the buffet breakfast which is parallel to northern runway which is under 100 yards away, you have breakfast inside or outside. I am sure the price varies but we paid £110 for the night inc 2 breakfasts, variety and good. Rooms had a bath and free internet.

As a follow up to my previous report, I do like British Airways, I always thought they would be too expensive for me but seemed not to be the case, they are competitive, non stop and a class act all round from food to service, the only thing I dont give them top marks for is the IFE but then everybody is different.

When I look at alternatives I do look at departure and arrival times and here BA scores very well with me, they depart BKK for LHR at 1140 so I get to BKK around 900/930 is good and I arrive at LHR at 1825.

Coming back its a 1605 departure from LHR, bag drop at 1305 onwards then down to Wetherspoons ( Crown Rivers) for a couple of Adnams Broadside, gates declared at 1450, get the shuttle train to the gates and time to board, arrival at BKK at 0930, out and ready fro a pick up within the hour of arrival and home early afternoon.

Cost of flight, arrival and departure time, luggage allowance, its complex equation which one suits us best and it may be constantly changing as well, currently for BA 23k ( world traveller-economy) plus what you can carry in one case and lift ( not weighed ) plus handbag and pc ( reminds me of Crackerjack).

• 2 weeks later...

Airline: NokScoot

Route: DMK - Nanjing - DMK

Flight: XW88 and XW87

Aircraft: ?

Price: 14,883฿  11,883 if you exclude the 3,000 we paid for seat upgrades on the DMK-Nanjing leg. (The 8 October flight was high season so more expensive than usual. Typical price would be 10,000) .

Purchase Nok Scoot website

Dates: Out Oct 8 rtn Oct 10

Class: Economy out with 1,500 THB for extra space seat at the front row; Business return. Selected Business Class return as the premium over Economy was only about 500 THB. I'm not sure if this was a glitch in their system or just good luck on my part. 

Seat Configuration: Economy 3-4-3, Business 2-3-2

Check-In and Immigration: flight popular with tour groups but if you delay check-in there is hardly any queue. Very quick immigration at DMK due I expect to the 1.20 pm departure, also fairly quick through DMK on the way back. Check-in at Nanjing busy but avoided due to ScootBiz check-in desk. Nanjing immigration and security not busy. Again, if you delay check-in you should be very quick.

Baggage: Check-in bag costs 750 pre-booked, 1,500 at the airport 30kg.  One free checked bag included in business class.

Lounges: Not available

In-flight Entertainment: , nothing

In-flight Service: You pay for everything but business gets a free meal. Blanket even in business cost 400 THB. Singha Beer 120 THB. No pillows even in Business. Only Business seats have power charging points.

Seat Comfort: With the extra legroom seats in Economy and the Business Seats: Good for 3.5 hour flight

Food Quality: Not too bad

Overall:

Issues (1) online site works well until you get to the point of seat selection. This does not work and NokScoot are aware of the problem. So after making the booking you need to call Customer Services to select your seat (there is a charge to select a seat) (On second thoughts, this may have been a problem with a pop-up blocker on my browser)

(2) Call centre is slow, had to wait 10 and 13 minutes to speak to someone in English.

(3) No online check-in available unless you fly from Singapore.

(4) Flight time was 3 hours 35 minutes both ways, listed as 4 hours 30 minutes on the website and tickets.

(5) Lazy crew. We were the only Business class passengers and service was terrible. Waited 5 minutes for a flight attendant and could see five of them chatting away at the front of the plane all the time.

(6) Nanjing Airport, a modern, attractive airport with a few duty free shops and about ten Chinese restaurants with decent quality food, plus a Burger King. Do eat before security as only a few restaurants after security. Plenty of taxis available when we arrived (6pm). There is also a metro station to take you into town or to connect with the high speed intercity network.

This was for a business trip to Wuxi. We would have normally flown to Shanghai but due to the end of the Golden Week Holiday, prices were very high and flight timings were not good for the cheapest options. I avoid night flights in Economy. Overall, I would fly again as travel time by road from the airport to Wuxi was 1 hour 45 minutes on a very good and quiet motorway. From Shanghai it can take much longer due to congestion. I will use this route again for Wuxi as the prices are good, flight times comfortable (depart 1.20 pm, return 8.10 pm), DMK is relatively quite in the early afternoon, and the extra legroom you can purchase still keeps the ticket price competitive with flights to Shanghai stuck in a regular economy seat.   

Edited by pj123

• 4 months later...

Airline: China Airlines

Route: BKK - SFO

Flight: 838/004 

Aircraft: 747 on BKK -TPE sector. 777 on TPE-SFO

Price: 68000 RT
Purchase Channel: China Airlines website

Dates: Feb 2017
Class: Premium Economy /  Business (upgraded to Business with coupon for TPE-SFO)
Seat Configuration: 747 was 1-2-1 in 1st, 2-3-2 in Business, 777 was 1-2-1 in Business
Check-In and Immigration: Separate premium check-in line, 1 minute wait. Premium immigration line pass (both ways) provided...no line at premium immigration passport check.
Baggage Fees: 32k 2 bag limit, no fee
Lounges: BKK, SFO & Taipei

Lounge Quality: BKK - ok, Taipei - really nice
Limousine Service: none
In-flight Entertainment: 747 - good, 777 was new, large screens, noise cancelling headphones

In-flight Internet: 747 - no, 777 - yes

Seat Comfort:  great in 1st class on BKK-TPE, great on the 777 
Food Quality: Very good

Notes: PE tickets purchased on China Airlines website flying BKK-SFO book into D class( Business) on the BKK-TPE route. Sometimes they fly 747's that have a 1st class section. these seats are available with business class tickets

Airline: China Airlines

Route: SFO - BKK

Flight: 003/833

Aircraft: 777 on SFO - TPE sector. 777 on TPE - BKK (Note that the 777 from TPE - BKK is unusual, normally 747 or A330)

Price: 35000 RT - SFO-TPE (PE) TPE-BKK (Business)
Purchase Channel: China Airlines website

Dates: Feb 2017
Class: Premium Economy / Business
Seat Configuration: 777 was 2-4-2 (PE), 777 was 1-2-1 (Business) 
Check-In and Immigration: Separate premium check-in line, 1 minute wait. Premium immigration line pass for BKK provided...no line at premium immigration passport check.
Baggage Fees: 28k 2 bag limit, no fee
Lounges: SFO & Taipei

Lounge Quality: SFO - ok, Taipei ok (had to use terminal 2 lounge, terminal 1 is really nice)
Limousine Service: none
In-flight Entertainment: 777 was new, large screens, noise cancelling headphones, very nice in business, good in PE

In-flight Internet: yes

Seat Comfort: PE on SFO-TPE is decent, Business on 777 TPE-BKK was great - I'm not small & have 2 more PE trips booked.
Food Quality: Very good

China Airlines has a good PE product on it's 777's & A350's & the bump to business class on the TPE-BKK leg is nice. If you have to make 2 trips to the west coast, consider PE starting from SFO on China Air for your middle 2 legs, I have found fares around 35000 a couple of times.

• 3 months later...

Just returned from London Heathrow  13th  June departure arrival at BKK 14th.

BA 009 LHR1600-BKK 0925.

Boeing 777-300 GE Engines.

3-3-3 seating and full flight, turbulence on departure and also 1 hour out from BKK, Excellent touch down at BKK perfectly smooth.

Chicken and spicy(?) veg on the way out and English breakfast just before arrival. Plenty to drink in the evening.

Economy price 442 GBP for a return in November.

Crew were as usual tip top.

On previous trip back to the UK was allowed to visit the flight deck and sit in the first officers seat on arrival at LHR.

Further to my trip report BA009 LHR-BKK above 2 points which I noticed had changed at the airports and travellers might want to take note of.

At Heathrow terminal 5, BA's home you get 23 kilos of luggage in world traveller but you take on board case is not weighed, however, they now have a metal structure which you might be asked to see if your case fits or not the dimensions, I had to zip up my expander to get it in.

At Bangkok as you go through the "declaration" exits, most go through the green lane dont they but, as I approached the point where you turn 90' to the right I was aware that the crowd and shuffled into 2 lanes and on the right 6 Immigration officials and a large scanner similar to the one in security but built to take large cases, a man 2 places in front of me was pulled over and his bag was being loaded. I just kept walking so have no idea of the outcome, but, just be aware of its arrival and use.

Gulf Air

Bkk-Lhr-Bkk

4th-18th June

Flights GF151 & 7, GF6 & 150

Economy 22,000 bht

Check in at Bkk very smooth as plane only half full.

Nice friendly crew, food good too. Drinks, including alcohol, with meal and on request.

Seats comfortable but not huge amount of legroom, I'm 6ft.

1 hr stopover in Bahrain went smoothly but 2 scans of our hand luggage, one at transit and one at the boarding gate in the new terminal.

Flight to London was full but same as first leg. Landing was very smooth and passage through Immigration at T4 nice and smooth.

Flights back to Thailand were only about 30% full because of Ramadan according to check in staff. Superb bonus as wifey and I both had 4 seats to ourselves on the Bahrain flight and 3 seats each to Bangkok. I can confirm they make a reasonable lie flat bed :)

Again food and drinks were good for economy.

Crew were mainly East European, acceptable but a couple had limited English skills.

Overall very happy with my first Gulf Air experience and would use again especially as the short stopover lets you stretch your legs.

• 5 months later...

Just come back from London Heathrow with Singapore Airlines 452 GBP return.

I stayed at Holiday Inn Ariel near Heathrow, rooms ok for one a bit tight for 2. 3/4 size bath and shower, comfy bed and good breakfast. You can get there on the 140 bus free, 6th stop. Coming back look for bus stop J across the main road, I waited 3 minutes for a 10 minute free ride. Hoppa from hotel 5 pounds.

Singapore fly from Terminal 2, I had to print my own tickets and bag ID before I went to the bag drop, 30k allowed in the hold, 7k carry on which they did not weigh. Then through security to the main shopping/feeding area. 70 minutes before departure the gate was not shown so I headed for the Singapore lounges thinking that the gate would be close to it. Its a 20 minute walk to the gates and once there there are no shops/cafes, the A380 was parked across from the lounges so a little tip for you there.

So an A380 from London to Singapore, 441 seat version with RR Trent1000 engines and where I was there was plenty of space so I reckon 350 seats taken. IFE was ok if you light Spider-Man, 4 films, or, Transformers, 3 films. Only found 1 documentary which was good about the Glacier express, so best take a book.

Food was good. Chicken Kiev, fresh fruit and choc/orange ice cream for main and 2 hours out of Singapore poached eggs, fresh fruit and yoghurt. metal cutlery! Drinks were a good selection and the bonus was Old Speckled Hen! Good flight, seat comfy, leg room ok and on time.

Long walk at Changi to the shuttle for terminal 2 for flight to Bangkok, allow 15 minutes, shuttles every 2 minutes and takes about 5 minutes.

Boeing 777-300 with RR engines for flight to Bangkok, mushroom omelet and fresh fruit served, arrived BKK 20 minutes early even after an extra trip round Bangkok and Sira Racha  perfect landing.

Huge queue at Immigration but lady checking passports took more mature passengers ( over 70 ) out of the main queue and to a quick exit one, then of course had to wait for the bag!

Still using the X Ray machine at the exit, they pulled the chap before me so watch when you enter where you enter and who you follow.

Singapore are good and I would use them again as an alternative to BA. we left LHR at 1055 into SIN at 0715 next day then a 0945 departure for Bangkok due in at 1110.

Crew on board very good.

• 1 year later...

Carrier: Xiamen Air (MF)

Route: BKK-XMN-SEA-XMN-BKK

Fleet: B738/B788

Dates: Late April/Early May 2019

I’ve flown MF several times on this sector as well as to LAX.

Overall, I will say — for the fare paid - it’s a good deal..

But... there’s a big (IMHO it’s big) but that comes with this.

Flying to/from Seattle and BKK requires that you overnight in XMN both ways.

On the outbound (to SEA) you tend to arrive in the late afternoon or evening - depending if you book their first AM departure or the midday flight. Then, the next morning, it’s an 0830 departure out of XMN. So, the layover is a true overnight.

However the good part here is that (at present) MF gives you a free* hotel for that overnight. If you are on a economy class booking, then the room could be SHARED with one other passenger of the same sex. If you’re in business or an elite holder, you get your own hotel room - no share.

For economy, sometimes there isn’t anyone else, so you might luck out and get a room to yourself, but they (MF) do tell you that you could end up with a “roommate”

Also, MF pays ONLY for the hotel and related taxes.. you have to pay for the taxi fare to get to the hotel and back. Most all of the hotels MF uses do NOT have a free hotel-airport shuttle. Thankfully, the hotels are all relatively close by and the fare will be in the RMB30 range each way (about US$6)... but you’ll have to pay the taxi in RMB.

One last wrinkle.... the Seattle service makes a “technical” stop in SZN both ways - to and from Seattle and Xiamen. Outbound to Seattle, you will clear and exit China immigration in SZN... Inbound from Seattle you will clear and enter China immigration in SZN. Checked baggage however is cleared by customs only in XMN both ways..

This means that unlike most “traditional” connections, using MF means that the process takes far longer and is much more cumbersome, than the more traditional walk to the next flights gate. MF does have a lot of staff around to make sure you don’t get lost and the process is pretty well organized now.. so it’s very doable.. but it does add 2+ hours onto an otherwise long day of travel.

Speaking to onboard. The 788 used is first rate and I’ve found the cabin crew to be more than ample. Yes, their English skills aren’t native-level, but given their role and range of interaction with you, there should be no issues.

Meals are offered in both traditional western as well as Chinese/Asian options.

All the times I’ve flown them, i would say the passenger mix is nearly 90+ Chinese with a small handful of western nationalities.

They do have free WiFi, but you have to sign up and get a code BEFORE you travel.

Would I recommend them? I would BUT, you have to understand and be willing to “deal with” that enroute/overnight layover... but MF tends to be fairly lower priced as compared to other carriers to fly a more traditional schedule.. so you’ll have to decide if the savings is enough to compensate you for the stopover. I’ve talked to a few people who reported saving more than $300 over other airlines... so depending on the exact fares, the savings flying MF may be considerable... you just have to decide if all the stopover/layover process is worth it to you.

Lastly.. but sure you check about visa requirements and if you and your specific booking are eligible for the newish TWOV that China now offers from selected cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, new2here said:

I’ve flown MF several times on this sector as well as to LAX.

What if any are the differences with their flight / connection / layover details if you're making the LAX trip as opposed to Seattle?  Overall, the connections stuff sounds like a big hassle that's not really worth the pain.

And frankly, these days, with all the stuff going on between the U.S. and China, I as a U.S. citizen really don't want to voluntarily put myself anywhere within the reach/control of the Chinese government, especially on their soil.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

When I did it via LAX it was far easier as their LAX service is non-stop into XMN... so you don’t have any Shenzhen issues... and because it’s a late late night departure from LAX, that puts you into XMN early, early in the morning and therefore you can make a connection down to BKK a few hours later. Bags checked all the way to BKK, but there is still an immigration component in XMN.

I would say their LAX option is far easier in terms of connections then their SEA service which always has a technical stop both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 12:22 PM, new2here said:

Flying to/from Seattle and BKK requires that you overnight in XMN both ways.

Still trying to fully understand your explanation here...

As I understand you, you're saying an overnight hotel stay is required in Xiamen going both directions on the BKK-Seattle route.

But on the LAX-BKK route, you seem to be saying the LAX to BKK segment does NOT require an overnight hotel stay in Xiamen... But I'm not following whether that's the same or different on the outbound BKK to LAX trip???

Still trying to fully understand your explanation here...

As I understand you, you're saying an overnight hotel stay is required in Xiamen going both directions on the BKK-Seattle route.

But on the LAX-BKK route, you seem to be saying the LAX to BKK segment does NOT require an overnight hotel stay in Xiamen... But I'm not following whether that's the same or different on the outbound BKK to LAX trip???

For Seattle, due to the fact that there is a 2.5hr technical stop in SZN, there is no way to avoid the overnight in XMN. You get into XMN too late to make a same-day connection down to Bangkok. It’s been like this since MF started SEA service.

I suspect this is why you will almost always find MF to be either THE lowest or one of the lowest fares on that market- essentially it’s priced to take into account the less-than-idea connection situation and the fact that total travel time balloons out to more than 30hrs because of the layover (8hrs+) and the stopover in SZN (2.5hra)

For Los Angles, that’s different... because to/from LAX a) the departure time from LAX is very very early in the morning (like a little after midnight) AND b) the fact that the LAX flight goes to XMN on a NON-STOP basis (in other words, unlike Seattle services, there is no SZN technical stop) you arrive in XMN early in the morning- thus you ARE able to make a same day onward connection to Bangkok. Therefore, flying to/from LAX does NOT use or require an overnight layover. It operate pretty much like all “normal” connections people are used to.

If works the same on the return- BKK-LAX... you’d leave BKK in the late morning and arrive in XMN afternoon or so.. their XMN-LAX flight leaves around 9:30ish PM... so you’d be looking at a few hours or so in the airport - nothing that would require a hotel or the like.

Do note: this is based on their current flying timetable and routing. If MF were to add (in the case of (LAX) or remove (in the case of SEA) a stopover, then this would radically change the connection timing and requirements in China.

But let me reiterate- service wise, I have zero issues. They’ve always been excellent onboard... and on the ground, because SZN is a focus city and XMN is their global hub, there’s always plenty of staff around..

So, if you’re a Seattle flyer, AND willing to deal with that connection story, it’s a good way to potentially save some real $$$. Out of LAX, given the current timing, they operate pretty much like everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, new2here said:

For Los Angles, that’s different... because to/from LAX a) the departure time from LAX is very very early in the morning (like a little after midnight) AND b) the fact that the LAX flight goes to XMN on a NON-STOP basis (in other words, unlike Seattle services, there is no SZN technical stop) you arrive in XMN early in the morning- thus you ARE able to make a same day onward connection to Bangkok. Therefore, flying to/from LAX does NOT use or require an overnight layover. It operate pretty much like all “normal” connections people are used to.

If works the same on the return- BKK-LAX... you’d leave BKK in the late morning and arrive in XMN afternoon or so.. their XMN-LAX flight leaves around 9:30ish PM... so you’d be looking at a few hours or so in the airport - nothing that would require a hotel or the like.

Thanks for clarifying that... So for MF's BKK to LAX service, no overnight hotel stay required in either direction during the XMN layover.... Just some pleasant hours spent in the airport terminal in one of China's most air polluted cities.... :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I flew in to BKK.

Flight BA 009

Boeing 777-200 Rolls Royce  engines.

Departed LHR about 5 minutes late and and arrived 5 minutes late although the schedule flight is 1610 LHR and 0945 BKK today it was arrival time at 1030 and the route took us down the gulf by the straights of Homuz and over the ocean before turning east south of BOM.

The flight was good, food the usual standard, service was good and this return flight is costing me 418 GBP non stop.

The problems started as we landed as the docking bay we were directed to was occupied by a Air France plane, after  while we were directed to another part of the airport and disembarked to the ground for  a bus ride, only 45 allowed on the bus, we had only a couple of seats empty that I saw on the plane so we have about 300 passengers on board and it took me 30 minutes to get off and move to immigration, when I got there the line was at the end of the wide walk way leading to the lines to the officers and although I managed to get into the priority lane it still took me 45 minutes to exit to baggage. At baggage because everyone was at Immigration the the luggage had not been collected and stood on top of each other.

Everyone now has to give finger and thumb prints as well as all the other stuff that went before so it is taking longer to process esp if there is family in front and it does not help help if the Immigration officer does not want to be there, I got the distinct impression that it was not his normal job and he was making slow progress, arrogant, rude and showed no respect to me what so ever.

from landing at 1035 I was exiting customs at 1205 all of this down to arrival at BKK, it was an absolute shambles from landing onwards from airport planning and organization to Immigration it seemed like no one was in control and this is supposed to be the quiet season!

Someone needs to get a grip, awful experience.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, nong38 said:

from landing at 1035 I was exiting customs at 1205 all of this down to arrival at BKK, it was an absolute shambles from landing onwards from airport planning and organization to Immigration it seemed like no one was in control and this is supposed to be the quiet season! 

A very useful report and a reminder to those who dream about 1 to 1.5 hour connections to domestic.

It's a shame at this time considered low season.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, edwinchester said:

Gulf Air

Bkk-Lhr-Bkk

4th-18th June

Flights GF151 & 7, GF6 & 150

Economy 22,000 bht

Check in at Bkk very smooth as plane only half full.

Nice friendly crew, food good too. Drinks, including alcohol, with meal and on request.

Seats comfortable but not huge amount of legroom, I'm 6ft.

1 hr stopover in Bahrain went smoothly but 2 scans of our hand luggage, one at transit and one at the boarding gate in the new terminal.

Flight to London was full but same as first leg. Landing was very smooth and passage through Immigration at T4 nice and smooth.

Flights back to Thailand were only about 30% full because of Ramadan according to check in staff. Superb bonus as wifey and I both had 4 seats to ourselves on the Bahrain flight and 3 seats each to Bangkok. I can confirm they make a reasonable lie flat bed ????

Again food and drinks were good for economy.

Crew were mainly East European, acceptable but a couple had limited English skills.

Overall very happy with my first Gulf Air experience and would use again especially as the short stopover lets you stretch your legs.

For anyone using London Heathrow Terminal 4 and anyone landing on the southern runway ( look to the right) there is still a Concorde to see, magnificent site to behold.

• 1 month later...

I've always enjoyed flying in and out of Perth to Bangkok with Thai Airways on their 787 'Dreamliner'.., I thought they were smooth, quiet and had good IFE..., and if I chose my return flight with care I sometimes could purloin a row of seats(arm-rests up, sleepy time)..., however they've comparatively recently changed the aircraft on this TG route to the Airbus A330.

Can anyone who has flown on both planes and this route, give me  some comparisons ?  

My daughter and 3 grand children have been staying with me for the past 2 weeks. Went to CEI airport yestarday a 2.15 for the 3 PM check in.  Flight delayed , then delayed some more.  Up shot was connecting flights now missed in BKK and the next stop to Heathrow.  Now had to find about 80,000 B for all new flights leaving CEI at 9 am today . What a disgrace !

7 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

My daughter and 3 grand children have been staying with me for the past 2 weeks. Went to CEI airport yestarday a 2.15 for the 3 PM check in.  Flight delayed , then delayed some more.  Up shot was connecting flights now missed in BKK and the next stop to Heathrow.  Now had to find about 80,000 B for all new flights leaving CEI at 9 am today . What a disgrace !

Don't want to sound a smartass but when your not checked all the way through from the first flight it really does pay to get some travel insurance to cover any delay that screws up later flights.