Airline Trip Reports. Let Us Know About Your Flight!

craigt3365

• 3 weeks later...

KL to CDG yesterday on A380 Malaysian Airlines

Cattle market lounge serving cold chicken slop, crap beer and no Worcester sauce or tabasco to make a Bloody Mary.

Flight delayed after boarding so 90 minutes without a bloody drink, save those rubbish cartoned juices that MAS think are "truly Malaysian".

A lie flat bed that doesnt't make a bed because some moron thought it would be a good idea to put the footrest at a stupid angle.

Cold Shepherds Pie, replaced with a luke warm, rubber chicken stuffed with something grotesque - tres 1975 budget weeding food.

Drank a bottle of Alsace wine, couple of glasses of claret, had some synthetic cheese and a Xanax.

Woke two hours before arrival to be served rubber eggs and a lump of overcooked farmed salmon. It's inedibility was complemented perfectly by a fluorescent gloop of synthetic strawberry flavour yoghurt from Halabja Catering Co.

Headed into smoking lounge at CDG after grapping a double espresso from the Priority Pass lounge opposite and chatted to a very nice lady from Tunisia (teacher) who was heading of to Dallas and a Kuwaiti bloke. Had an hour of coffees and ciggies putting the world to rights with some very engaging and charming people.

BA - CDG - LHR Club. Lunctime flight. Usual BA piss take seats. Salad with prawns (I fished them out). Three mini bottles of Sancerre and arribved at LHR T5. Luggage off quickly. Sat by fountains with Cafe Nero espresso and ciggie untill my ride home found me.

Now in Blighty for some proper beer and a family wedding before suffering a charter flight to Dalaman next week.

EVA Royal premium class. 13th September 2013 a Friday EEEEEK

BKK London. Non stop. Left 10 Min early

£2,200 1 year open return.

Check in first class.

Fast track both end's

EVA lounge very good fab espresso coffee.

Airplane. 777,300er

Seats lie flat herring bone 1/2/1. large monitor, very comfortable.

Food two meals First one being 8 courses started with Dom Perignon 2003 vintage Champers other wine available Rioja, Pomerol +++ all vintage, Hennessy XO Cognac H/D'oeuvre, lobster salad main course you can select from their on line menu so if you get it wrong that's your problem I had fillet steak morel mushroom sauce, great cheese 'Port' you get to choose from the trolley finished with coffee Godiva chocolates. 5* all the way. Snack's also available that's if you can find the room till your next meal a slightly smaller one at only 6 courses same quality.

Service second to none. Cant wait for the return one later.

Comment's.

Must be the best airline going at present although not the cheapest worth every penny.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

Cannot give details right now will come back at a later date.

Have just done a return trip BKK-LON with QATAR economy, was impressed with service, comfort and fare.

BKK-DOHA 6hrs

DOHA-LON 6hrs.............with break at Doha approx 1.5 hrs both ways.

Just inquired flights and fares to Suratthani from DM

Air Asia Bht 3800 ............baggage extra 20 kg Bht 3000

Thai Air Bht 1900.............baggage free..........................I have 20kg

Hi Advice needed,i have read some good advice in this thread,

I am bringing my Mum over to see us (never met my Thai Family before) in September, Mum has never flown before. Mum lives in the UK midlands, so looking at Manchester airport, only about 1 half hours away from her home, she is 74,we have been the doctor and he has given her the go ahead health wise.

I am just a little worried, I have checked some airlines to see if they do a meet and great service, I will do a check list for her myself. She is ok and has all her marbles and is still sharp.

I have looked through some of the flights from MAN, to BKK the best one for me at the moment islooking like the KLM, Man, AMS,BKK I will fly her business, I have done this route in the past and found it ok (a little long on the second leg but she should be ok in Business) timings work well for us also. This was a few years ago (6) but should not have change much, good lounge in Man and Amsterdam

Did look at one option for LHR but don’t relay want to expose mum to the massive upheaval in Heathrow.

Just wondered has any one done a similar thing and can think of anything I could add to make her Journey clear and enjoyable even recommendations for other airlines routes. Many thanks in advance

If you ask airline for wheelchair service, they will look after her through immigration etc

• 2 weeks later...

Airline: Emirates
Ticket Price: 248,000
How Purchased (direct, agent, wholesaler, etc): Direct
Dates: 5/10/13
Class of Service: Business
Route: BKK-DXB-ACCRA
Aircraft Type: 777
Seat Configuration (i.e. 3/4/3) 2/3/2
Stopover City (If any): DXB
Check-in Location (good or bad?): Good check-in at BKK
Immigration (good or bad?): Fast track no problem
Excess Bag Fees (if any): Nil
Lounges Used: BKK was OK once the earlier flight had departed, DXB I am afraid I can only class as a cattle market.
Limo Service Provided: Not used
In-flight Entertainment: Very Good
In-flight Cabin Service (good or bad?): Good, saving grace
Seat Comfort: Poor for Business, very narrow and not very user friendly, see comments on 3 abreast seating below.
Food Quality: From BKK poor from DXB passable just
On Time Performance: Good
Comments: The 3 seat configuration in Business is poor to say the least, both aircraft were full and I do not appreciate being used as a climbing frame by someone's 7 yr old as Emirates split the family up. I will have to fly with Emirates on the return leg as there is no other carrier, but as an example of their service I will not willingly fly them again. I have been in premium economy that has been nearly as good as less than half the price. To me Emirates are over rated and over priced.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Flew LHR-BKK return on EVA in Elite for the first time since they joined Star Alliance and since I joined the Aegean ff schene and guess what... They will only credit 50% miles!

For Premium economy! Even EVA credit 100% the same as their upper fare buckets in economy. I mailed them, but no reply so far.

Trip report to follow.had to post.from taxi to clear immigration 10 minutes.

That is fast at 07:00 hrs.

Last time stuck behind hundreds of Chinese tourists.

Now etihad gave me silver status. Got fast track lane and access to thai business class lounge.

Al reem lounge in abu dhabi is crap to say the least.

Was going to go back to qatar has they gave me fast track with the lowest status. But nit now.

Go back to thai with old planes and crappy service not to mention high prices.no way.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

EVA economy LHR BKK, very good all round, comfortable B777, better than average width and legroom and overall a much better experience and slightly cheaper than thai airways (I paid £558 return)

Will try EVA premium economy next time- at around £900 return it looks good value.

Flew China Eastern Phuket-SFO

ONLY cost me $925 r/t as purchased the tickets in Sept.

1st leg , Terriable boxed meal, 5 1/2 hours. Luckily i got row 40 which is the emergency exit row an had all 3 seats so got some sleep ( left Phuket at 2.30 AM)

5 1/2 hours layover in Very boring Shanghai airport, VERY expensive food, to change money they charge $10 service charge as well but all outlets accept us$

Seats ok to sleep as they dont have the arm rests like Swampy

2nd leg to SFO 11.15 hours, had 2 seats, not bad flight as full in seat movies an such, No crying babies, Food eatable

Arriving in SF 30 minutes to clear immigration ( 10:30 am) never seen so many OLD Indian Indians in wheel chairs all with us passports

Next time will go back to Korean airlines for the extra $100 r/t

Edited by phuketrichard

• 2 weeks later...

Airline: Singapore
Ticket Price:18,000
How Purchased (direct, agent, wholesaler, etc): Airline Web Site
Dates: 10 Dec
Route: BKK-SIN-BKK (still to return)
Aircraft Type: 777-200
Seat Configuration (i.e. 3/4/3) 2-3-2 (regional Business)
Stopover City (If any):
Check-in Location (good or bad?): Good
Immigration (good or bad?): Good Fast track
Excess Bag Fees (if any): Nil (40Kg allowance)
Lounges Used: BKK, one of the best short haul Business lounges I have used at BKK
Limo Service Provided: Nil
In-flight Entertainment: Surprisingly for short haul was AVOD.
In-flight Cabin Service (good or bad?): Good
Seat Comfort: OK for short Haul
Food Quality: OK
On Time Performance: Slightly late onto gate at SIN due to long taxi to gate from runway
Comments: It was the lounge at BKK that made me write this report, its a little oasis of tranquillity, good service and surprising for a short haul lounge, ample and good food. Not a single dried out or curled at the edges sandwich to be seen.

• Like 1

Lounges Used: BKK was OK once the earlier flight had departed, DXB I am afraid I can only class as a cattle market.

Seat Comfort: Poor for Business, very narrow and not very user friendly, see comments on 3 abreast seating below.

Comments: The 3 seat configuration in Business is poor to say the least, both aircraft were full and I do not appreciate being used as a climbing frame by someone's 7 yr old as Emirates split the family up. I will have to fly with Emirates on the return leg as there is no other carrier, but as an example of their service I will not willingly fly them again. I have been in premium economy that has been nearly as good as less than half the price. To me Emirates are over rated and over priced.

Forgot to update this on my return. What a difference a different aircraft makes. Accra-DXB was still 777 so same complaints from me. However I deliberately delayed my DXB-BKK flight by 45 minutes to try out the A380. What a difference, from a separate lounge (from where you board the aircraft), individual seat, no scrambling across people to access the aisle. It even seemed to make a difference to the crew who were all smiles and helpfulness. Food however was still mediocre.

Would this flight change my attitude towards Emirates? NO. As they get bigger and A380 becomes the standard so that standard will drop I believe and the Oasis that is the A380 terminal/lounge will just become another Mumbai Railway Station waiting room.

As a matter of interest would love to find out how many of the pax in the main terminal Business Class lounge are actually flying Business as opposed to FF Gold Card? (Singapore Airlines overcome this by having a separate lounge for FF Gold who are not flying Business)

Airline: QATAR
Ticket Price: £442 return
How Purchased (direct, agent, wholesaler, etc): Travel trolley
Dates: oct/13
Class of Service: eco
Route: LHR/DOH/BKK
Aircraft Type: 787 / 777
Seat Configuration (i.e. 3/4/3) 3/3/3
Stopover City (If any): doh
Check-in Location (good or bad?): Good check-in at LHR
Immigration (good or bad?): good used Thai queue as travelling with thai wife no problems very quick
Lounges Used: used at Doh as i had a long stop over, 7 hours very good, food just snacks
Limo Service Provided: nil
In-flight Cabin Service (good or bad?): very good,
Seat Comfort: ok 777 better than 787 imho
Food Quality: good

Just returned from a trip to the old world with Oman Air i.e. 10.12.2013 BKK/FRA return 16.12.2013 in business class.

Might as wel just repeat my last trip report (and those of others re this airline) so I'll be short : Impeccable.

Price paid (promotion) 74.000 Baht, and since there is a new promotion on at the moment I have already booked for May 2014 at 75.000 Baht this time to Paris CDG.

The only drawback for some is the smallish airport at Muscat but I like it just because it is small and the Omanis seem to be just that bit friendlier than the other Gulf states nationals.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

Just returned from a trip to the old world with Oman Air i.e. 10.12.2013 BKK/FRA return 16.12.2013 in business class.

Might as wel just repeat my last trip report (and those of others re this airline) so I'll be short : Impeccable.

Price paid (promotion) 74.000 Baht, and since there is a new promotion on at the moment I have already booked for May 2014 at 75.000 Baht this time to Paris CDG.

The only drawback for some is the smallish airport at Muscat but I like it just because it is small and the Omanis seem to be just that bit friendlier than the other Gulf states nationals.

Yermanee wai.gif

Nice to see a Happy repeat customer. Sadly Oman don't seem to have the timings I need. I live in hope that one day I can check them out.

Edited by RabC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The missus's flight

Airline: Korean
Ticket Price: $USD 1550
Dates: N/A
Class of Service: Economy
Route: BKK-DFW
Seat Configuration (i.e. 3/4/3) 3/4/3
Stopover City (If any): Seoul
Check-in Location (good or bad?): good
Immigration (good or bad?): good
Excess Bag Fees (if any): none
Lounges Used: none
Limo Service Provided: none
In-flight Entertainment: excellent
In-flight Cabin Service (good or bad?): exceptional
Seat Comfort: decent
Food Quality: good
On Time Performance: good
Comments: She refuses to fly with anyone else now

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Airline: EVA
Ticket Price: 113,000
How Purchased (direct, agent, wholesaler, etc): Online Direct
Dates: 20/03/14
Route: BKK-LHR
Seat Configuration (i.e. 3/4/3) 1/2/1
Stopover City (If any): Nil
Check-in Location (good or bad?): Fast check-in
Immigration (good or bad?): Fast Track
Lounges Used: EVA lounge, nice and large, well stocked my one negative no power sockets for laptops etc
Limo Service Provided:Nil
In-flight Entertainment:Good sized AVOD screen with reasonable selection
Seat Comfort: Excellent life flat pod
Food Quality: Pre orderded main course as part of a 5 course meal (I am sure the whole menu was the same as I had received in Thai first before
On Time Performance: Landed 30 minutes after a 45 minute late departure from BKK
Comments: they are 40K cheaper than Thai Business and 80K cheaper than Thai First. I was a Thai Gold Card member and flew this route in First 5 times/year, that will now be a thing of the past. EVA are by far better value for money and now they are Star Alliance I shall stick with them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Airline: EVA

Ticket Price: 113,000

How Purchased (direct, agent, wholesaler, etc): Online Direct

Dates: 20/03/14

Route: BKK-LHR

Seat Configuration (i.e. 3/4/3) 1/2/1

Stopover City (If any): Nil

Check-in Location (good or bad?): Fast check-in

Immigration (good or bad?): Fast Track

Lounges Used: EVA lounge, nice and large, well stocked my one negative no power sockets for laptops etc

Limo Service Provided:Nil

In-flight Entertainment:Good sized AVOD screen with reasonable selection

Seat Comfort: Excellent life flat pod

Food Quality: Pre orderded main course as part of a 5 course meal (I am sure the whole menu was the same as I had received in Thai first before

On Time Performance: Landed 30 minutes after a 45 minute late departure from BKK

Comments: they are 40K cheaper than Thai Business and 80K cheaper than Thai First. I was a Thai Gold Card member and flew this route in First 5 times/year, that will now be a thing of the past. EVA are by far better value for money and now they are Star Alliance I shall stick with them.

I have to totally agree. I always travel EVA business and first rate they are too, I have just had to use BA had to get into BKK early their Business is like traveling in the eighties with a 2/4/2 configuration old worn out seats and food well forget it's the worst experience flight wise I have EVER had I thought at one time I was flying Thai air, and all for £500 more return than EVA. EVA is now doing Business for a short time at under £2,000 return grab it while you can.
  • Like 1

I flew BA business class LHR-BKK in December and found it OK.

The seating is not up to the standard of say Qatar but pleasant enough...I slept and have to say the breakfast I was served before landing is the best I have ever eaten on a plane.

Flew out last week with BA, World Explorer, booked through Trailfinders, return fare LHR-BKK-LHR was 665 sterling on a 777-300 seats mainly 3x3x3 and ok plenty of room. Food out was good chicken rice and sweetcorn in a spicy bbq sauce with assorted extras on the tray, South African and French red wine available. Breakfast was sausage, bacom scrambled eggs, mushrooms and very good it was too for a plane along with extra bits and bobs. The food was good and the service on board was excellent.

Left London at 1540 arrived Bangkok at 0910next day and was off the plane 5 minutes after it stopped, no immigration queue either.

Luggage was 23kg for the hold and nothing weighed for in the cabin, standard cabin size, not checked.

Non stop 11 hours 30 mins, scheduled 11.35 the best I have used so far. At the time of booking EVA were 800 gbp and Emarites 753 gbp.

Not impressed with the IFE.

• Like 1

Bangkok - LHR on Qatar June 1st - Good fare 28,500 baht return

Economy class - 30 kg baggage allowance

Checked in at home, printed BP and dropped bags off at Swampy

Only an hour and half in Doha's new terminal, barely time to look around

Stress free, though I found the kid from hell on 2nd leg!

Good entertainment, service etc

Returning from Europe in July, will post about return leg

• Like 1

That's an excellent price ups.

I thought so smokes, at the time of booking the fares ranged between that and 32,000 depending on the days.

I don't mind economy, it's what I'm used to and I don't mind breaking my journey either, to have a bit of a stretch.

Currently looking at fares from UK to Thailand for my son et al in early February, high season. The Middle East carriers have got some good fares from LHR at around 450 pounds. I don't know if it's cheaper from Birmingham or Manchester?

Flew out last week with BA, World Explorer, booked through Trailfinders, return fare LHR-BKK-LHR was 665 sterling on a 777-300 seats mainly 3x3x3 and ok plenty of room. Food out was good chicken rice and sweetcorn in a spicy bbq sauce with assorted extras on the tray, South African and French red wine available. Breakfast was sausage, bacom scrambled eggs, mushrooms and very good it was too for a plane along with extra bits and bobs. The food was good and the service on board was excellent.

Left London at 1540 arrived Bangkok at 0910next day and was off the plane 5 minutes after it stopped, no immigration queue either.

Luggage was 23kg for the hold and nothing weighed for in the cabin, standard cabin size, not checked.

Non stop 11 hours 30 mins, scheduled 11.35 the best I have used so far. At the time of booking EVA were 800 gbp and Emarites 753 gbp.

Not impressed with the IFE.

You were lucky Dave (Nong38)The food I got was inedible by the time they got to me all that was left was a dried pasta dish (COLD) + a very Hard cake type thing But I did get a pat of butter alas nothing to spread it on bread wise all in all at best rubbish. Only redeeming factor was we arrived early. Not only that I had to walk right to the end of economy class to use the toilet as our section didn't have any. Like you I got a cheap price next time it's EVA business

Fred.

Forgot to update this on my return. What a difference a different aircraft makes. Accra-DXB was still 777 so same complaints from me. However I deliberately delayed my DXB-BKK flight by 45 minutes to try out the A380. What a difference, from a separate lounge (from where you board the aircraft), individual seat, no scrambling across people to access the aisle. It even seemed to make a difference to the crew who were all smiles and helpfulness. Food however was still mediocre.

Would this flight change my attitude towards Emirates? NO. As they get bigger and A380 becomes the standard so that standard will drop I believe and the Oasis that is the A380 terminal/lounge will just become another Mumbai Railway Station waiting room.

As a matter of interest would love to find out how many of the pax in the main terminal Business Class lounge are actually flying Business as opposed to FF Gold Card? (Singapore Airlines overcome this by having a separate lounge for FF Gold who are not flying Business)

Give it a rest with the racism.

I thought so smokes, at the time of booking the fares ranged between that and 32,000 depending on the days.

I don't mind economy, it's what I'm used to and I don't mind breaking my journey either, to have a bit of a stretch.

Currently looking at fares from UK to Thailand for my son et al in early February, high season. The Middle East carriers have got some good fares from LHR at around 450 pounds. I don't know if it's cheaper from Birmingham or Manchester?

Gatwick is usually cheaper than Heathrow but I find the prices from are rarely there for me and are a catchpenny, just got to hope its your lucky day and you like the airline. Personally I avoid Indian stopovers, the security is a nightmare and am not a fan of Indian food either.

I have heard of some good prices coming out of Birmingham from friends but Heathrow is more convenient for me.