Beware, Collection Time

rishi

Until now I haven't been quite sure what the red and white edges along many sidewalks were supposed to mean. Of course I guessed that it might mean "no parking", but it didn't appear to be interpreted like that by the Thai's themselves - specifically, it didn't appear to have any relevance to motor cycle parking.

However this evening - on the stretch on Moon Muang opposite Thapae Gate wall - all parked motor cycles had heavy police chains around their wheels. Just outside 7/11 an officer were talking with a rather unhappy looking Thai youngster.

Until now I haven't been quite sure what the red and white edges along many sidewalks were supposed to mean. Of course I guessed that it might mean "no parking", but it didn't appear to be interpreted like that by the Thai's themselves - specifically, it didn't appear to have any relevance to motor cycle parking.

However this evening - on the stretch on Moon Muang opposite Thapae Gate wall - all parked motor cycles had heavy police chains around their wheels. Just outside 7/11 an officer were talking with a rather unhappy looking Thai youngster.

Anytime you see any colour, it always means, 'up to us'. Sometimes they enforce the laws, sometimes they don't. In this case, choosing wrong costs 400 baht, I believe.

Oddly enough, I tend to be understanding enough- I figure over the years, I win the 'battle' the vast majority of the time, and even when I've lost, everyone is still so polite and friendly :o

Ha, again serves you right!!! Mostly with the red and white, there's a damned good reason for not being allowed to park there. (In this case it's a serously congested stretch of road, having a motorbike there causes traffic jams, which waste time and pollute the environment, you tree murderer! :o

Other places where the red and white is seriously needed is at U-turns... MAN that sucks when you just manage a U turn in front of on-coming traffic only to find some motorbike with side-cart 2 bit noodle seller parked there at the red and white. Good thing I got that bull bar installed.