Samui & Phangan Still Without Power For 2Nd Day .story Continues With Updated Info & Suggestions.

It's at Bang Por now, came on at 8pm exactly.

I had it this morning from 6am-8pm, if that helps you work it out!

OK. So 14 hour difference. We had it from 10am-12pm today, so I guess we're due again at midnight. I'll stay up for this!... lol.

Well the electric is meant to be fixed by 12am !!!!

Let's see!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 2 out of 5 planned nuclear power plants being in the south of Thailand (Sichon, Nakhorn Sri Thammarat and Tha Chana district in Surat Thani), this power outage might win over some people who were unsure whether to approve of those plants. "remember those serious power outages, we need sufficient power for tourism".

On the other hand, it should concern people. If a problem like this can not be dealt with faster, what would happen in the event of difficulties with a nuclear plant ...

Goodgirl, this is a very bad Idea, where to put the nuke waste?

Does anyone know where the rolling power is at the moment? I was hoping Lamai would get it again at 8pm tonight... :)

Uhm. Not so pushy now, wait in line... Lamai already was earlier today. After 2 hours power on, wait 12 hours for the next cycle to reach you. Although we in Ban Rak only had around 25mins in total in our designated slot from 6pm to 8pm.

hat exactly does a cable rupture mean? How does the cable rupture?

not the first time this year , happened on the 12th May 2012, just do a google search of what you ask and it links to BKK post

But could be caused by a number of things, cheap wires, fishing boats hooking on to the wire and damaging it ...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X8QfRT_SYDgC&pg=PA176&lpg=PA176&dq=how+underwater+power+cables+break&source=bl&ots=yRiex2c9Cl&sig=JtO12QXYwNDsD4O6t6Z_NCyYF-Y&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zly_ULGNOciq0QWh74G4DQ&ved=0CGMQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=how%20underwater%20power%20cables%20break&f=false

Edited by Boater

The time of centralized power generation is OVER!

I'm working for a renewable energy company selling, building and/or operating environmental friendly and carbon neutral Gasification power Plants. Yes, these plants are rather small, only a few Megawatt at the time are economical. But the idea is to have a lot of spread over all Thailand. With this, nobody would need the big coal/gas/oil fired plants anymore which damage our environment and health. Oh, and by the way, no more stupid power cuts anymore...

Tried to do this years ago, issue is not enough money in the projects to pay local officials tea money. Everyone in the govt loved it until you advise there is no tea money. Was also working on a 60mW system using MSW as a fuel no cost to the govt but could not get the MSW needed, all from BKK is contracted with a family for dumping and they dont want to mess around with their earnings. Too many problems in Thailand for govt projects if you dont have deep pockets. Good Luck!!! Do you have a website?

Edited by ericthai

I wonder why the 'how' has not been addressed. How was the supply 'ruptured' in the first place and what steps will EGAT or the Govt take to address that issue to stop further difficulties? Last question being - watch the pump pricing as no doubt the operators will be scalping due to the 'urgent' need.

Edited by asiawatcher

I wonder why the 'how' has not been addressed. How was the supply 'ruptured' in the first place and what steps will EGAT or the Govt take to address that issue to stop further difficulties? Last question being - watch the pump pricing as no doubt the operators will be scalping due to the 'urgent' need.

they wont, that is called ' Forward Thinking '

Ok. I am truly bored now, and candles are getting short, and sparing my last bit of gasoline for the genny. Anyone now of a bar that is open (perhaps even serving a cold one -after 12am?) on the east side of the island?

Bondi in both Lamai and Chaweng have posted on FB they have enough diesel to last 5-6 days, so chilled beer and burgers, plus the TV is working there

generator 20k baht. A paltry expense when tacked on to a house build

on the basis you have enough diesal to fill it !!,

solar is the way forward

Therein lies the problem. I could not buy diesel on Samuui for my truck today. All going to hotels.

thats what happens everytimr there is a long power cut, they run out of diesel !

Anyone for some solar panels?

Adequate fuel supply to Samui assured

The Nation

SAMUI: -- PTT has dispatched 10 oil trucks to Koh Samui, to address the acute demand for fuel on the tourist island.

Samui’s power system went out on Tuesday, prompting each of big business operators to stock up 3,000-6,000 litres of diesel for their power generators.

The company said that the the 10 trucks have already loaded about 150,000 litres to the five stations on the island and another shipment is due early morning tomorrow.

PTT said that the company is closely monitoring the situation and will ensure adequate fuel supply until the island’s power is back.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-05

Then you should tell the gaas stations. I could not buy diesel today.

Does anyone know where the rolling power is at the moment? I was hoping Lamai would get it again at 8pm tonight... smile.png

Hope not, that's the schedule for Maenam - and we got it, hopefully for the promised two hours clap2.gif

2 hours????

We had power for 5 <deleted> minutes up here at Plai laem. More petrol in the Genny.

Adequate fuel supply to Samui assured

The Nation

SAMUI: -- PTT has dispatched 10 oil trucks to Koh Samui, to address the acute demand for fuel on the tourist island.

Samui’s power system went out on Tuesday, prompting each of big business operators to stock up 3,000-6,000 litres of diesel for their power generators.

The company said that the the 10 trucks have already loaded about 150,000 litres to the five stations on the island and another shipment is due early morning tomorrow.

PTT said that the company is closely monitoring the situation and will ensure adequate fuel supply until the island’s power is back.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-05

Then you should tell the gaas stations. I could not buy diesel today.

so that is only enough diesal for 25 hotels,

With 2 out of 5 planned nuclear power plants being in the south of Thailand (Sichon, Nakhorn Sri Thammarat and Tha Chana district in Surat Thani), this power outage might win over some people who were unsure whether to approve of those plants. "remember those serious power outages, we need sufficient power for tourism".

On the other hand, it should concern people. If a problem like this can not be dealt with faster, what would happen in the event of difficulties with a nuclear plant ...

Goodgirl, this is a very bad Idea, where to put the nuke waste?

Put it on the moon, of course. Or directly into the sun.

Jing jing? This happens almost everytime it rains hard in Sisaket. First time it happened when I was with my gf, I asked her what was up. "Oi! because have fon tok, now have no power."

"When are we going to have it again?"

"Maybe in tow or three day, don't worry na."

"What do we do now?"

"Nothing."

"Can we fool around?"

"Arai na?"

"you know..boom boom?"

"Okay."

Some of the best times I had in Thailand were when the electricity went out.

hat exactly does a cable rupture mean? How does the cable rupture?

My guess is that there was some scheduled maintenance scheduled that was meant to only disrupt power for a short spell, hence gatorade hearing indirectly of pending power disruption before the fact but no major announcement from PEA. After they completed the maintenance and they turned the switch back on, the power surge blew out the submarine cable. That could have been a pre-existing condition caused by damage from anchors or fishing trawls or just plain old age. Insulation can break down and when the power was reapplied, the cable 'ruptured'. This does happen in HIVAC systems and if it's an underwater cable, it's a tougher repair job. Think of a filament light bulb that burns for hundreds of hours continuously then gets turned off. When you turn the light back on, the surge blows the tired old filament; same sort of thing just happened underwater with the HIVAC submarine cable.

I would go further to suggest that the scheduled maintenance was because they were seeing strange power fluctuations and current surges on the system so they turned off the power, checked all their measuring devices were working and turned the power back on, not expecting the cable to be the source of the power and current surge problems.

Just my guess from too many hours in desert-based trailer camps with great big generators and old cables baked in the sun or driven over by trucks causing insulation breakdown..

• Like 1

Electric came back on in central Lamai at about 11.05pm

Now, just have to wonder if it goes off again in 2 hours like the Electric Co. announced at 8pm whilst driving around & handing out flyers in thai to the locals explaining the situation,

OR,

they have actually fixed the cable and it stays on ...

... unfortunately, my money is on the former, and this goes on for another day or so

Maenam & DTAC back on.

Erm. . . sadly, not quite. Soi 1 Mae Nam is on its own little substation (and includes Kirikayan Resort - generator there has been banging away for almost 48 hours now!) and we've had a total of 2 hours power on in the last 40 hours. - and the power is still off.

Go down the road to near where the Mae Nam Sauna is and there is power. . . sigh.

R

Maybe Thialand should be asking the Japanese if they want to sell one of the Nuclear Power Plants they will no longer be using cheap.

That's right, let's justify nuke plants because 'an underwater power cable ruptured'. What's next? Build a nuke plant on the island to avoid that particular problem in the future?