Samui & Phangan Still Without Power For 2Nd Day .story Continues With Updated Info & Suggestions.

Nathon area had power yesterday 5PM to 10PM (that was nice!). This morning power came back for 5 Minutes at 10 AM, and right now at 10:40 it's on again. Probably they need to refuel all the election trucks that are pestering us the whole day. bah.gif

Another reason why so many are leaving is no ATMs working. Some people are making the ferry trip to Surat just to get to an ATM sad.png .

Edited by longtom

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came on in Bohput last night T 0300 am

They reckon if they have not fixed today then they have to make a new line and the power can be out for another 2 days

This us disgusting right before a local election how the mayor think he can run after this there again this is Thailand abs anything can happen

Aldo loads of rubbish bags dumped around the island where the dustman has not picked up the rubbish

Do not care about excuses I just want to do that gang nam style

Tell me - who (what area) suddenly had power come on for 2 hours at 2.00am last night?

Woke me up when it came on - woke me up again when it went off again!

(This is off the main mae nam strip up the hill on soi 1. . . )

R

my villa guys just check with PEA and they said solving prob will take until march and they want to proceed with electric on for 2 hours every 2 hours when that starts I do not know

2 hours every 2 hours is a continuous supply!

goof.gif

This incident further serves to illustrate the overwhelming need for Yingluck to submit her resignation. Her level of detachment from what goes on in thailand at the micro level is astonishing. She should have been on the ground in Samui during this national tragedy. It is an abomination that this was not a resolved within hours, with the assistance of the military, if necessary. Events like this simply cannot be allowed to happen, and if they do must be resolved within hours, not days. She must resign now.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

TOURISM

Visitors flee power blackout on Koh Samui, Koh Phangan

· Published: 6/12/2012 at 12:00 AM

· Newspaper section: News

SURAT THANI : Technicians worked through the night trying to restore electricity on Koh Samui and Koh Phangan as a two-day power blackout has forced thousands of tourists to flee the islands.

Charupong: Sends out generators

The islands have been without power since Tuesday morning after a section of an underground high-voltage cable in tambon Taling Ngam of Koh Samui district ruptured.

The cable provides electricity from Nakhon Si Thammarat's Khanom district.

Inspectors found that Khanom Electricity Generating Co in Nakhon Si Thammarat, which supplies power to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan, temporarily shut off the electricity for maintenance.

The system failed when they tried to restart it, said Sakda Nawarat, the deputy chief of the Provincial Electricity Authority's (PEA) customer service section.

Chanchai Banditsaowaphak, assistant to the PEA governor on network operations, said technicians expected to finish the repairs to the broken section by 6am today.

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan yesterday instructed state agencies to dispatch mobile generators to the affected areas, as tourists faced many problems after being without electricity since Tuesday.

Many tourists left their resorts, crowding Koh Samui's only airport in tumultuous scenes.

Typically at this time of year Koh Samui hosts about 20,000 tourists. That number shrank to about 1,000 yesterday.

Tourism officials said the blackout should not chase away tourists in the long term, as most holiday-makers have yet to arrive for what is the local high season, starting in the middle of the month.

"Total damages to tourism on the two islands should not be more than 5 billion baht," estimated Wanni Thaipanich, chairwoman of the association of tourism promotion for Koh Phangan.

Hotels and residents on the pair of islands struggled for light, using their own generators or candles.

But many people were hoarding supplies and several hotels were running out of fuel for their generators.

"Many hotels have also begun to stock oil [to fuel generators], for fear that petrol stations will run out of it," said Sunthon Phuphaibun, manager of Coral Cove hotel, which is in the dark after the hotel's generator failed yesterday when it overheated.

Mobile phones on Koh Samui were also knocked out after fuel for generators powering the island's transmission poles ran out.

During repairs yesterday, PEA officials had to rely on limited power supply reserves, forcing them to distribute power to small sections of the island in two-hour rotations.

"At least people could do some cooking," a PEA official said.

PTT Plc yesterday delivered about 200,000 litres of fuel to five petrol stations on Koh Samui to ease the fuel shortage.

Supplied by Samui Gazette.

Tell me - who (what area) suddenly had power come on for 2 hours at 2.00am last night?

Woke me up when it came on - woke me up again when it went off again!

(This is off the main mae nam strip up the hill on soi 1. . . )

R

Nathon area - again

No power in south Chaweng for 24 hr.

2 hours with water 10PM to midnight.

Took a ride around Chaweng, no diesel anywhere

Yesterday they run out of food at the food court in Tesco, to many people there stocking up.

They have tea-light candles at Makro 100 for 125 baht.

At least the weather is sunny.

• Like 2

The apparnt cause or reason

The islands have been without power since Tuesday morning after a section of an underground high-voltage cable in tambon Taling Ngam of Koh Samui district ruptured.

The cable provides electricity from Nakhon Si Thammarat's Khanom district.

Inspectors found that Khanom Electricity Generating Co in Nakhon Si Thammarat, which supplies power to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan, temporarily shut off the electricity for maintenance.

The system failed when they tried to restart it, said Sakda Nawarat, the deputy chief of the Provincial Electricity Authority's (PEA) customer service section.

Came on in Bohput last night T 0300 am

They reckon if they have not fixed today then they have to make a new line and the power can be out for another 2 days

This us disgusting right before a local election how the mayor think he can run after this there again this is Thailand abs anything can happen

Aldo loads of rubbish bags dumped around the island where the dustman has not picked up the rubbish

Do not care about excuses I just want to do that gang nam style

Big C,

The mayor is since at least 4 or 6 weeks already out of power and has not much influence on anything. Strangely enough that's the way it's arranged for, you're out of office before election starts, not afterwards and you may have lost. So there's nothing the mayor can do.

On top of that, according to my sources, the garbage truck broke down and now with diesel shortage, it probably won't come out anytime soon.

The cable heated up, breached it's insulation, and allowed water to enter the core, and that caused steam expansion and greater rupture.

A friend says he saw part of the fried cable and he said it looked really nasty, like it had been melting sand around it from super hight heat. Just imagine this cable can power several hundred welding machines, and suddenly becomes one itself, to the earth around it.

Where did he see "part of the fried cable"? Deep sea diver?

This incident further serves to illustrate the overwhelming need for Yingluck to submit her resignation. Her level of detachment from what goes on in thailand at the micro level is astonishing. She should have been on the ground in Samui during this national tragedy. It is an abomination that this was not a resolved within hours, with the assistance of the military, if necessary. Events like this simply cannot be allowed to happen, and if they do must be resolved within hours, not days. She must resign now.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

What a load of politically inspired garbage!

Stick to the macaroni!

1zgarz5.gif

• Like 1

The cable heated up, breached it's insulation, and allowed water to enter the core, and that caused steam expansion and greater rupture.

A friend says he saw part of the fried cable and he said it looked really nasty, like it had been melting sand around it from super hight heat. Just imagine this cable can power several hundred welding machines, and suddenly becomes one itself, to the earth around it.

The damaged section of the cable is underground not underwater.

I've just reckoned it up ans (not even counting trhe power-out on Tuesday) I have had no electricity to my house for 56 hours now. Apart from 2 hours at 2am in the middle of the night (to allow me to cook something, according to the government spokesman) end to end, non-stop,running total of no electricity to my house is 56 hours.

Where the hell is this 12 hours off and 2 hours on crap coming from?

Kirikayan resort is on the same sub-station and how much gasoline have they used to power a 200-bed resort for almost 3 days solid?

R

some bullshit flying around,the electric is on in lamai i have wifi and dtac working and aircon on in the room,after 2 days with nothing big budda area, was told today it could be saturday and before its on fulltime ,they are also repairing lines in pai laem today so im not swollowing in this broken cable bullshit. boils down to the loss of face bullshit we all have to suffer because they wont come clean .

No, he saw it in Baan Talignam,

near the big electric distribution plant there, near the snake farm.

Four things involved.

1 ) The Kanom power supply station,

2 )The under sea cable,

3 ) The right of way under the LAND from the sea to the power station.

4 ) Load of everything down the chain wanting power instantly.

Kanom, shut off for Maintainance or replacement of Sea Cable.

Turned back on, fried old transformer on Samui,

likely because of excessive load demand at station,

This dead transformer shorted out.

That shorted potential fed back down the line creating high heat before Kanom could stop transmitting.

All of the above fried the cable in the ground leading to the sea.

They were waiting fror hydraulic pliers and other rarely used but large heavy tools needed to make repairs.

--------------

Power came on at noon here in south, and went out on schedule at 2pm.

Perfect! Seems there was more damage than they thought.

the

Edited by animatic

The islands of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan in southern Thailand have been without electricity since Tuesday 4 December due to damage to an underground high voltage cable supplying electricity from the mainland.

The authorities are working to restore the electricity supply as quickly as possible. In the meantime electricity is being provided for short periods by mobile generators. The airport and ferry services are operating normally. Please contact your tour company, your hotel/guesthouse or the local authorities for more information.

http://www.fco.gov.u...ceania/thailand

FCO-Logo.jpg

According to the one of the trainings i got at work , a high voltage cable is not the same like a low voltage cable . even the smallest haircrack in the insulation will create a cable failure in years to come ( we have straight line from nuclear plant coming in and have our own power plant delivering 50 bars steam and elec from gas ) . We do have elec motors running at 6 kV , and they do require different measures then on a low voltage line . High voltage cables are a strange thing and failures do create massive effects .

• Like 1