A Tribute To 2 Strokes

Dutchbike

Living in this amazing country for over 2 years now, and in this time i developed a big passion for the dying race of small displacement 2 stroke sport bikes.

I don’t know why, I’m already in my late forties and these kind of bikes are more mend for the younger generations of starting bikers, but maybe it’s got something to do with the fact I always was fascinated with these kind of bikes but never got to it to buy one in my home country, apart from some 2 stroke mopeds and a couple of dirt bikes in my youth, the rest of my motorcycle career I drove 4 strokes.

Well, when I moved over to live in Thailand I made up for all those lost years and already got 4 of those Thai made smokers.

I must have been a nice time in Thailand ( at least, when you’re into bikes) with all those 2 strokes screaming around but somewhere in the end of the 90’s it all changed and from then on 4 strokes rule this country.

I’ve red and heard various reasons the 2 strokes were sort of banned, one interesting theory is that at some point the King was bored with all those 2 strokes leaving big clouds of smoke near his palace, he had a talk with AP Honda and that’s how it’s all started.

At an environmental point of view it’s much better but the streets became more boring.

The remains of that 2 stroke era are still around but disappearing in a fast rate. They end up as driving food stalls ( with sidecars), shabby run around bikes ( many times driven by an elderly Thai at very low speeds) or just parked in a yard and left there to rust.

For a reason I don’t understand they don’t seem to appeal to the youngsters anymore, the only 2 stroke which is still popular is the Honda Dash. But most of them prefer Clicks, Finos and all the other 4 stroke bikes. Mayby it has something to do with the very bad fuel economy and the fact they need a bit more attention then the hassle free 4 stroke.

They always say that a 2 stroke is a simple design, it is, but…. those 150 cc’s need a good set up (carb/mixture/exhaust/ignition/powervalve) to run perfect and well… that’s a thing not many Thai take put an effort in.

When there is a thread about 2 strokes on Thaivisa I can see there are more people like me, loving those smokers!!!

Take a well set up 150 cc bike out for a spin and you’re “lost” forever ( at least I was) laughing at a similar 150 cc 4 stroke and even 250 cc’s 4 strokes.

Ok, there’s no torque and you have got to keep the revs up, but these little bikes give so much joy.

To finish this little tribute ( just felt like writing a little story and share my passion) there still out there: the Honda NSR 150’s ( RR and SP) the Yamaha’s TZR and TZM 150’s the Kawasaki’s KRR’s 150 and even the occasional Suzuki Gamma’s and not to mention the older air cooled 2 strokes ( Yamaha’s RXZ, Kawa’s GTO’s and so on)

I would say: grab one before it’s too late, there mostly not expensive, parts are easy and cheap available and there sooooo much fun to ride.

Keep the smokers alive.

Dutchbike.

post-143096-0-73723100-1354707034_thumb.

• Like 2

The market killed two-strokes in Thailand. Most people buying bikes in Thailand are buying them as primary transpiration. Four-strokes are more reliable, cleaner and quieter.

I saw a graph about 10 years ago that showed market share of H, Y, K & S, they were all about even at first, then Honda introduced a little four-stroke and their market share skyrocketed to over 60% of the market in just a a few years.

The market killed two-strokes in Thailand. Most people buying bikes in Thailand are buying them as primary transpiration. Four-strokes are more reliable, cleaner and quieter.

I saw a graph about 10 years ago that showed market share of H, Y, K & S, they were all about even at first, then Honda introduced a little four-stroke and their market share skyrocketed to over 60% of the market in just a a few years.

Nah it was the EPA in the 70's & 80's

Honda introduced 4 strokes well before that.

I think the Honda Super cub came out in the 50's

I know as a kid (before 1970 ) I had many Honda 50 engines I moved from bike to bike.

They use to cost me about $35-$50 bucks back then

They had 3 speed semi-automatic trannies.

I actually think/hope 2 strokes may come back because they have now solved

the EPA problem & can keep oil out of the combustion & thereby the exhaust.

Edited by mania

Nah it was the EPA in the 70's & 80's

Honda introduced 4 strokes well before that.

I think the Honda Super cub came out in the 50's

I know as a kid (before 1970 ) I had many Honda 50 engines I moved from bike to bike.

They use to cost me about $35-$50 bucks back then

They had 3 speed semi-automatic trannies.

I actually think/hope 2 strokes may come back because they have now solved

the EPA problem & can keep oil out of the combustion & thereby the exhaust.

The EPA in Thailand in the 70s and 80s?

Ok, there’s no torque and you have got to keep the revs up, but these little bikes give so much joy.

There is lots of torquethumbsup.gif The problem is finding it. smile.png

There are more two-strokes around than one thinks. They are mostly out at night, racingohmy.png

SURGEON GENERAL: IT IS OK TO SMOKE, THE OPPOSITION WITH TWO_STROKE POWER!

my first geared bike was a yamaha dt125 cross which was a two stroke machine. I never forget my days on it when i was too young!!! Before that i was riding two stroke mopeds like 75cc and 100 cc which i learned riding on them!

I also rode other two stroke bikes like Yamah rx100, Yamaha rx135, yamaha rxz - it was a fast bike man - and Honda nsr150 proarm here in Thailand for a short amount of time to test it.

They were good bikes but the inefficiency and tree cutter ways of them are unacceptable especially if you think the level of engineering now and higher petrol prices.

I think right now only Aprilia has one 2 stroker and i heard some new might come with some improved environmental friendly engines. Lets see.

Edited by loserlazer

Have to agree that there is something about two strokes which never quite leaves you. I often get the urge to try and locate the two-stroke bikes I used to ride as a teenager, both of which were powered by a Villiers 250cc two-stroke twin engine.

Being an apprentice, I couldn't afford much in the way of anything, so into the tank would go just about any mixture I could scrounge from my workplace (plus of course a little petrol) and that included gearbox oil from large trucks and molybdenum disulphide chain lubrication fluid!! Despite this horrible mixture, the engines went well enough, although they gave out very thick plumes of smoke and rarely got above 65 miles an hour which was more than enough to get me to and from my workplace.

However, as they say, nostalgia is a thing of the past and my little Honda Click does a great job for me now.

• Like 1

My first ever bike was an yamaha rd 125,bought 2 nd hand Age 17 ,didn't even know how to ride when I bought it but boy when you hit the powerband that thing was crazy ,can't remember exactly but sure it used to hit 90 mph with no problem ,kind of puts the 250 4 strokes off today to shame.

Grew up with 2 strokes, first bike was a NSU Quickly with no exhaust that I used to ride around the fields on, then BSA Bantam scrambler (fields again), then Gilera mopeds (when 16yr old)...then Suzuki GT250B...then RD350B...then brace of RD350LC's. Only got into 4 strokes when got into Enduro riding but the love is still there...even now I still cover the clutch lever with two fingers "just in case" tongue.png

• Like 1

Have to agree that there is something about two strokes which never quite leaves you.

Ahem. Nice thoughts Dutchbike! Same age here, and I grew up with two stroke, two wheels; the normal rural Canadian progression, 60,80, 125, 250, 250, 495 cc of offroad stroked fun, plus some boring sensible four strokes mixed in there. Nothing like the smell of premix in the morning.

When I first moved to Chiang Mai I was allowed a ride on a hopped up Zuki Raider, darn thing was like a scared cat and would hit 100 kph at a shocking rate for something so small.

• Like 1

Grew up with 2 strokes, first bike was a NSU Quickly with no exhaust that I used to ride around the fields on, then BSA Bantam scrambler (fields again), then Gilera mopeds (when 16yr old)...then Suzuki GT250B...then RD350B...then brace of RD350LC's. Only got into 4 strokes when got into Enduro riding but the love is still there...even now I still cover the clutch lever with two fingers "just in case" tongue.png

Awesome, 10 seconds behind a nsr150 still reminds me of my teenage years riding 2 stroke MX bikes every weekend, but I've heard so much about the rd350's. Never ridden one and to be honest I find them to be pretty ugly bikes but I can imagine they're awesome bikes to ride. I'd love a nsr250 here in Thailand, totally impractical but a blast on Sunday mornings...

I love the smell of premix in the morning :)

Yes I remember the NSU and I rode a BSA Bantam for a short while (not off road)......probably one of the most reliable bikes ever!! Still loved the Villiers 2 stroke 2T twins and could strip it down in no time at all.

Even when it seized up because I closed the throttle going down a long steep hill (this time at around 70mph) thereby starving it of lubrication, I only had to wait 10 mins for it to cool down and it started again..............rattled a bit more though, so had to put new piston rings in it soon after.

Most of us here are old farts or pretending we aren't, so of course we grew up on 2 strokes, mine a Suzuki TS 185. 2 stokes are great to ride as the smoke is all coing out the behind you, but let's be honest who likes getting choked in traffic sitting behind a couple of Tuk Tiks belching smoke? It is all a matter of perspective.

Awesome, 10 seconds behind a nsr150 still reminds me of my teenage years riding 2 stroke MX bikes every weekend, but I've heard so much about the rd350's. Never ridden one and to be honest I find them to be pretty ugly bikes but I can imagine they're awesome bikes to ride. I'd love a nsr250 here in Thailand, totally impractical but a blast on Sunday mornings...

I love the smell of premix in the morning smile.png

not really all that impractical, i rode on in bkk for yeears. take the mirrors off and it really sint that much bigger than a 150.

if you ride out of the power band it is very well mannered

The market killed two-strokes in Thailand. Most people buying bikes in Thailand are buying them as primary transpiration. Four-strokes are more reliable,

Haha, no. Two strokes are far more reliable - simpler and more durable. If you visit us up here in Isaan you'll see them serving at age 15-30 years old as basic, reliable transportation for all the poor rural people. I'm a two stroke fanatic, and I have about seven of the old gems - all bought for 3-6 thousand baht, fixed up for a few more, and all of them more reliable than the few four strokes I have.Current favorites: 5-spd Yamaha Tiara, 6-spd Suzuki Akira, and a 5-spd Honda Nova. All around 15 years old, I think, and all running and driving great.

Two strokes are far more reliable - simpler and more durable.

Not to mention they made a lot of power per cc

Which in turn gives them an excellent power to weight ratio.

I am still amazed at the fact that almost 40 years ago I was racing

even 125's that had the power of todays Honda 250cbr ( more actually) @ less than half the weight

Same here. Started out with a Yamaha RD350 right after my 49cc moped youth :)

Probably the most exciting bike of it's age. Cheap, powerful and very light.

On twisty roads 750cc 4 strokers couldn't even begin to keep up, although they would quickly overtake on long straights.

And that all important kick in the behind powerband (well, lots of power but not much of a band), making lots of the uninitiated having their frontweel pointing to the clouds in the first two gears, or even end up wearing the bike as a hat laugh.png

Do remember the incredible fuel thirst though, was barely getting 10 km to the liter, and on top of that the autolube...16 liter tank was lucky to get you 150 km! 100 km and you had to switch to reserve...

• Like 1

My post seems to bring back a lot of memories, nice sentiments and nice bikes!!

That Yamaha RD 350 LC sure was a nice bike.

After i had an accident with my CB400F and needed a new bike, i almost bought one, but a lot of people warned me about the "dangers" of that bike.

I listened and bought a XT 500 instead ( quite something else) problaly a wise descion ( being 19 with little bike experience it can be a dangerous bike)

post-143096-0-60448600-1354935042_thumb.

post-143096-0-69650000-1354935053_thumb.

• Like 1

I'd love a nsr250 here in Thailand, totally impractical but a blast on Sunday mornings...

..and they overheat in traffic..whistling.gif

not even once in 10 years

Maybe for you, but mine has a radiator designed for a smaller engine! Or more correctly the engine is now bigger than original. Never bothered me until I moved to BKK but constant riding at less than say 40-50 kph, sitting for 3-4 minutes at traffic lights and up goes the temperature, until i switch the fan on.

Edited by VocalNeal