Englishman Dies After Fall From Pattaya Balcony

Rimmer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya Center Condotel

is this the same place which is also konwn as simply " Centre Condo " ?

There have been so many deaths in that building that the ladies who worked in the Bualuang Securities

office ( before it closed down ) were scared to work there because they believed the building had so many ghosts !!

Edited by Asiantravel

At least no one else was walking under "Ground Zero", do these suicides ever check?

Far better use the old charcoal cooker CO way out, far more peaceful, as long as you don't set the building on fire.

Sorry Buggers... RIP

Seattle, Washington, USA also has a lot of suicides due to being overcast most of the time. I had a client walk across the street when he heard a "thud" just behind him. The person had jumped from an extremely high bridge over water, but the wind blew him to land, to land forever. You are right about being at "ground zero".

The Itchin Bridge in Southampton became a favourite for people committing suicide, The authorities asked the newspapers to stop reporting the suicides, feeling that it could encourage vulnerable people to end their lives, perhaps the papers here should give it a try, if it saves one life it is a success...............sadly though there will be determined folk

They ask the San Francisco newspapers to also not report on the many suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge. Bad for tourism, and for copycats.

The Itchin Bridge in Southampton became a favourite for people committing suicide, The authorities asked the newspapers to stop reporting the suicides, feeling that it could encourage vulnerable people to end their lives, perhaps the papers here should give it a try, if it saves one life it is a success...............sadly though there will be determined folk

Hi DD13 i used to live in a flat under the Itchen bridge and in only a year saw the aftermath of two seperate jumpers both onto the road and not the water ... nasty

I was on Dongtan beach this afternoon with my daughter and a couple of old queens were talking about it. Said he committed suicide last night and was in with someone for 4 million and owed other people bits and pieces too. Guess his debts caught up with him.

i just thought it was strange to chose to go now in the high season ?

I think all these people falling from balconies have been murdered!

I wouldn't say them all, I believe some actually are suicides, but what percentage? Who knows.

Im about 82KG (13 stone in real money) and i doubt most strong western men would be able to do pick me up and drop me over a balcony if i didn't want to go over, let alone Thai males or females who in general aren't as physically strong.

I accept that Thai partners may psychologically push someone over the edge.

What i can never understand is why people just don't get a load of pills and do it this way as opposed to what must be a brutal death by jumping off a balcony.

I wouldn't say them all, I believe some actually are suicides, but what percentage? Who knows.

Im about 82KG (13 stone in real money) and i doubt most strong western men would be able to do pick me up and drop me over a balcony if i didn't want to go over, let alone Thai males or females who in general aren't as physically strong.

What i can never understand is why people just don't get a load of pills and do it this way as opposed to what must be a brutal death by jumping off a balcony.

Antman, I agree with you entirely, no matter how much I wanted to die, I couldn't bring myself to jump of a balcony, but obviously, not everyone feels the same way.

Sometimes a confidential ear, words of encouragement, and helping the sufferer to find inner strength can assist the sufferer in overcoming non 'biological' depression.

My friend done himself in the other year, it was a week from when he left the house after an argument with his wife to when he hanged himself. People tried calling so he binned his phone, he was front page of the papers and all over the news and must have been aware of this. I'm of the opinion that for some no amount of talking will make a blind bit of difference they've just got it in them.

For some people life just sucks and there is no way out of their predicament.

It is murder

German: Selbstmort

Dutch: zelfmoord

Or self inflicted murder, a much more clear word then suicide.

A cowardly act that leave family and friends with many questions, no matter how many laters are left behind.

I used to think your way, but now I think you,d have to be very brave to take a leap to Oblivion. Cowardly is a cruel word.
  • Like 1

I was on Dongtan beach this afternoon with my daughter and a couple of old queens were talking about it. Said he committed suicide last night and was in with someone for 4 million and owed other people bits and pieces too. Guess his debts caught up with him.

i just thought it was strange to chose to go now in the high season ?

The traffic and parking problems.

It is murder

German: Selbstmort

Dutch: zelfmoord

Or self inflicted murder, a much more clear word then suicide.

A cowardly act that leave family and friends with many questions, no matter how many laters are left behind.

I used to think your way, but now I think you,d have to be very brave to take a leap to Oblivion. Cowardly is a cruel word.

I think people should understand that if somebody is in such a deep state of depression and despair that the only solution they can see is to take their own life, they would not be thinking logically. The reaction of people close to them and the trauma caused would not enter their thinking.The same applies to the argument that they should give a thought before they jump to the people who may witness or see the aftermath of the act, and choose a more 'Thoughtful' way of doing it. And yes 'the slime' you are right, cowardly is a cruel word in the context of this topic, indeed probably a cowardly word.
  • Like 1

It's actually dead easy with someone standing against the balcony rail, bend down, grab the ankles, up and away.

The mafia plays hard-ball here.

Depression - as in feeling helplessly, well, helpless - can sometimes be a realistic assessment. Maybe it could have been worse (more needlessly painful) for the guy to try to stay alive. One could make the point that he may have chosen his death rationally. Weird as it may seem, he might be deserving of congratulations and honor.

Just saying...

Seems his gf left him. No mafia involved. Pretty sad. You gotta wonder if these guys ever leave their rooms or browse the internet. I mean, we're not exactly running out of women here in Pattaya. rolleyes.gif

I didn't know the man and it doesn't matter to me if he had a girlfriend, a boyfriend, or no friend. However, I think that the mainstream Pattaya expat "press" had best stick to the facts and the facts are in question. By that I mean, is that clear info from credible people on gay forums who did know him are saying he definitely had a close BOYFRIEND, not girlfriend. No, NOT a ladyboy either. Why the mainstream so called press here is trying to closet this man who wasn't in the closet, if that is what has happened, who owned two very high profile gay nightlife establishments is beyond all reason. If I'm wrong about this, my regrets, but thought since people and the press here are talking about a close girlfriend, the fact that the information is probably wrong should be mentioned. Of course I suppose there are cases of people who turn out in death to have been closeted heterosexuals, but I do not think this is such a case. Again, RIP and regards to the people who were close to the deceased.

Worth noting there doesn't seem to be questioning that this was a likely suicide.

(Also the stories that are coming out are much more complicated than just about the boyfriend leaving him, but probably best to leave that level of detail out of this.)

Edited by Jingthing

..... he definitely had a close BOYFRIEND, not girlfriend. No, NOT a ladyboy either.

Does it make any difference?

As far as I know both gays and non-gays are equally likely to die following a fall from a high place onto concrete.

It seems to me that, in the absence of any suggestion of foul play, his personal situation is neither relevant to the news item nor anyone else's business.

..... he definitely had a close BOYFRIEND, not girlfriend. No, NOT a ladyboy either.

As far as I know both gays and non-gays are equally likely to die following a fall from a high place onto concrete.

It seems to me that, in the absence of any suggestion of foul play, his personal situation is neither relevant to the news item nor anyone else's business.

It matters if the "news media" mentions it and mentions it WRONG. BTW, I am now about 99 percent certain the "news media" was wrong. Surprising? No.

It matters if the "news media" mentions it and mentions it WRONG. BTW, I am now about 99 percent certain the "news media" was wrong. Surprising? No.

The fact remains that this should have never been mentioned in the news.. period. This is along the same lines as I was talking about how the thais have no respect for a dead foreigner. Please don't let me die in this country. No matter what the truth is, the press seems to print about of rubbish that only goes to tarnish the memory of the deceased.

If the papers here feel the need to even report on such things, then just to say a foreigner from _______ nation died from a fall from a high building. That is really all we need to know. No pictures, no names, no copies of his passport, no mention of what medical conditions he might have had, no mention of medication in his room, no speculation on what transpired, no listing of his personal affairs. To me anyways this is all very disrespectful.

I beg to differ.

For natural deaths including at home, I agree, all that's needed is an OBITUARY.

For SPECTACULAR deaths like murders, that is NEWS, in ANY country.

When someone falls to their death from a building, that is going to be an accident, a suicide, or a murder. That is also LEGIT NEWS in any country.

Given that, I think it is totally OK to report about relevant relations of a victim of a spectacular PUBLIC death.

Also, whether legit, or not: get it right.

On this specific case: I will go even further.

Based on information I have seen which personally I can't verify, but a real JOURNALIST could, I think there may be a very interesting and very legitimate somewhat major NEWS STORY about what led to this death. Especially considering the deceased was a public figure in town, owning two VERY VISIBLE and world famous gay nightlife establishments, even more so.

So in this case, I think more reporting is in order, not less, and certainly not total falsehoods and using dainty euphemisms to refer to homosexuality.

In my view, again, it's a case by case. Often there is ridiculous and yes horribly undignified overreporting of everyday deaths. But not in this case, I think the public should have MORE information on this case. It's a public matter. A public suicide. A man with a very visible commercial life. And possibly a really interesting back story that the public would be interested in.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Hi DD13 i used to live in a flat under the Itchen bridge and in only a year saw the aftermath of two seperate jumpers both onto the road and not the water ... nasty

Spitfire Court?

I beg to differ.

For natural deaths including at home, I agree, all that's needed is an OBITUARY.

For SPECTACULAR deaths like murders, that is NEWS, in ANY country.

When someone falls to their death from a building, that is going to be an accident, a suicide, or a murder. That is also LEGIT NEWS in any country.

Given that, I think it is totally OK to report about relevant relations of a victim of a spectacular PUBLIC death.

Also, whether legit, or not: get it right.

On this specific case: I will go even further.

Based on information I have seen which personally I can't verify, but a real JOURNALIST could, I think there may be a very interesting and very legitimate somewhat major NEWS STORY about what led to this death. Especially considering the deceased was a public figure in town, owning two VERY VISIBLE and world famous gay nightlife establishments, even more so.

So in this case, I think more reporting is in order, not less, and certainly not total falsehoods and using dainty euphemisms to refer to homosexuality.

In my view, again, it's a case by case. Often there is ridiculous and yes horribly undignified overreporting of everyday deaths. But not in this case, I think the public should have MORE information on this case. It's a public matter. A public suicide. A man with a very visible commercial life. And possibly a really interesting back story that the public would be interested in.

I tend to agree with you that if he was a public figure (famous in some way) then his life was already in the public eye and certainly his death would be more news worthy. This case might be the exception since as you said, he was a "public figure".

For the average death we see reported here in Thailand (99%), we are given far too much information that in no way needs to be in the news. It is standard practice to list an obituary for a death but that is not what we see here on TVF posted news stories. What we see, are front page sensationalized stories being used to sell papers advertising (does anyone even buy papers anymore?) many times at the expense of the memory of the dead. To me this is a disgrace.

In the US they won't even print the names in sensational deaths out of respect for the families. If you lost a friend or family member then when you read the story you know who it's about. The rest of the public just don't need to know that info. Or at least, in my opinion they don't need to know that info. Obviously here in Thailand things are viewed very different and rubber necking at an accident scene is something to be coveted. People here will pull over and get ut of their cars so that they can catch a longer look at the horrific scene.

There is even a temple in N Pattaya that is run or sponsored by the Sawang Boriboon (sp?) that has posted on the walls some very horrific photos of accident scenes they have responded to. Stuff that would make most ppl sick to view. Why these scenes are displayed on the wall at the temple is something I just don't understand.

I still love Thailand, just don't want to die here.

There is even a temple in N Pattaya that is run or sponsored by the Sawang Boriboon (sp?) that has posted on the walls some very horrific photos of accident scenes they have responded to. Stuff that would make most ppl sick to view. Why these scenes are displayed on the wall at the temple is something I just don't understand.

Presumably to make others understand how dangerous driving can be, and so encourage them to be careful, reduce speed, wear a helmet etc. Like the gory photos on cigarette packets.

Makes sense to me.

Presumably to make others understand how dangerous driving can be, and so encourage them to be careful, reduce speed, wear a helmet etc. Like the gory photos on cigarette packets.

Makes sense to me.

Have you seen the photos? They are not just of road accidents.

Have you seen the photos? They are not just of road accidents.

No, I haven't. But other sorts of accidents are preventable, and so they may just be there to warn people of potential danger also.

Thai Buddhists do often have something of an "it will never happen to me" attitude that they could probably well do without.