How To Get To Cha Am Fishing Park From International Airport

zebzeb

Hi guys, I'm a avid angler from Singapore and I'm planning for 3-4 days fishing trip in Cha Am fishing park next year. I have a few questions and hope you guys can help me out.

1. What are the travel options available for me to get from the international airport to Cha Am Fishing Park? And what are the various estimate cost? I will be travelling with 2 guys, So we are not too fussy...

2. My main target for the trip will be caho. I been To Bungsamran Several times To Target This Elusive Carp, But have not been Successful So Far. So i'm looking for Alternate Location And Tips To Enhance My chance Of Landing One. Other than Cha Am, are there any alternate good local fishery with a healthy stock of Big Size caho?

Hi guys, I'm a avid angler from Singapore and I'm planning for 3-4 days fishing trip in Cha Am fishing park next year. I have a few questions and hope you guys can help me out.

1. What are the travel options available for me to get from the international airport to Cha Am Fishing Park? And what are the various estimate cost? I will be travelling with 2 guys, So we are not too fussy...

2. My main target for the trip will be caho. I been To Bungsamran Several times To Target This Elusive Carp, But have not been Successful So Far. So i'm looking for Alternate Location And Tips To Enhance My chance Of Landing One. Other than Cha Am, are there any alternate good local fishery with a healthy stock of Big Size caho?

The best option from Bangkok is taxi, approx 1 1/2 hr drive, Cha Am has huge fish and in particular huge Caho, I have fished there many times and have caught many Caho best methods are float fishing on the bottom with a small piece of bread flake, or you can ledger using Lumb with bread, Lumb as a ground bait is a must, the lads who work at Cha Am will be happy to get Lumb for you for a small tip, obviously you will not always catch your target species so if you get bored you can switch to Mekong or go for the Red tail catfish using chicken or small fish, doing this you have the chance of catching the Arapaima which is nearly 200 lbs in weight, it's a great place to stay and fish, cheap beer good food and the accommodation is fine, the beds are a bit hard but fine. Good luck!!

Cha Am is the best value fishery in Thailand, everywhere else is going to cost you lot of money, there is a new predator lake just opened in Cha Am operated by fishing in Thailand, personally I would avoid it as it is very expensive!!

Edited by dogpoo

The best option from Bangkok is taxi, approx 1 1/2 hr drive, Cha Am has huge fish and in particular huge Caho, I have fished there many times and have caught many Caho best methods are float fishing on the bottom with a small piece of bread flake, or you can ledger using Lumb with bread, Lumb as a ground bait is a must, the lads who work at Cha Am will be happy to get Lumb for you for a small tip, obviously you will not always catch your target species so if you get bored you can switch to Mekong or go for the Red tail catfish using chicken or small fish, doing this you have the chance of catching the Arapaima which is nearly 200 lbs in weight, it's a great place to stay and fish, cheap beer good food and the accommodation is fine, the beds are a bit hard but fine. Good luck!!

Cha Am is the best value fishery in Thailand, everywhere else is going to cost you lot of money, there is a new predator lake just opened in Cha Am operated by fishing in Thailand, personally I would avoid it as it is very expensive!!

Hi Dogpoo,

Thanks alot for the info. Hope you don't mind answering a few more questions...

1. When you say float fishing on the bottom, do you mean that the bait is presented near to the bottom of the lake?

2. Are there any good spots in Cha Am fishing park for Siamese Carp? The siamese carp prefer shallow or deeper water?

3. I assume that the fishing park does not sell Lump, so what is the cost of Lump if we get the lads from Cha Am to make the purchase?

4. Lastly, does the fishing park sell small fishes or chicken?

Thanks!

Hi Dogpoo,

Thanks alot for the info. Hope you don't mind answering a few more questions...

1. When you say float fishing on the bottom, do you mean that the bait is presented near to the bottom of the lake?

2. Are there any good spots in Cha Am fishing park for Siamese Carp? The siamese carp prefer shallow or deeper water?

3. I assume that the fishing park does not sell Lump, so what is the cost of Lump if we get the lads from Cha Am to make the purchase?

4. Lastly, does the fishing park sell small fishes or chicken?

Thanks!

Float fishing on the bottom, the bait is laying on the bottom!

Either end of the lake is good, the end by the restaurant is deeper and thought to be the spot, the opposite end is also very good, but saying that the Caho can be caught everywhere!

I believe the Lumb is 20 bht per kilo so not expensive, give the lad 50 bht for getting it.

I have never bought chicken from the Lake so not sure, best to bring your own, I am going to Cha Am next week so will find out for you?

Like any target species don't expect to catch many or any, that's fishing I am afraid!! your chances of catching a big Caho is better at Cha Am.

Send me your email address and I will send you pictures of the ones I and some friends have caught.

Also fish as light as you dare, 40lb main line dark color, 30lb hook link again dark color, although with braids you can go heavier as they are very thin, my advice would be to go at least 50 lb mainly because of the chances of hooking the very strong Mekong, with a size 10 or 12 hook, patience is a must!!

Edited by dogpoo

Guys can you tell me what would be the average size of a fish caught at cha am and what are their biggest?

for exmaple BSR. Average size mekong cat probably 25 to 30kg with possible 110kg, average carp 30kg with possible 120kg.

Also what's the typical catch rate like? A fish every 30 mins, 1 hr, 2 hours?

Thanks

Guys can you tell me what would be the average size of a fish caught at cha am and what are their biggest?

for exmaple BSR. Average size mekong cat probably 25 to 30kg with possible 110kg, average carp 30kg with possible 120kg.

Thanks

Average size is lower than BSR with the possibility of a Mekong over 100kg, average carp same as BSR with the possibility of one up to 100kg just like BSR the bigger fish are very difficult to catch, catch rate would be a fish every 10mins or so, I can not confirm the fish sizes in Cha Am but this is what I was told by a friend who talked to the owner, BSR is a great place but for me Cha Am is a nicer place to fish and stay.

Thanks

Average size is lower than BSR with the possibility of a Mekong over 100kg, average carp same as BSR with the possibility of one up to 100kg just like BSR the bigger fish are very difficult to catch, catch rate would be a fish every 10mins or so, I can not confirm the fish sizes in Cha Am but this is what I was told by a friend who talked to the owner, BSR is a great place but for me Cha Am is a nicer place to fish and stay.

Thanks dogpoo,

yeah I didn't expect anywhere with as many large fish as BSR but it is good to be in a location where there is the chance to catch giants. I usually stick to shadow lake/gnao nam but the last time I was there 7 months ago it had really suffered from the 2011 flooding. Average size of fish must have dropped by about 15kgs, I had one day of catching no fish at all and on the following day I caught 3 fish below 5kg. smile.png . There was a very strong wind blowing. I suspect the fish moved to the opposite side of the lake and the lam that would usually sink slowly down in a cloud was going horizontally across the lake. The bait ball would also just be smashed to zero in seconds. The giant fish in this lake are a lot less common than they used to be. In times past you'd see a truly giant fish caught by somebody everyday. A fish that would blow you away.

I haven't caught a carp or redtail cat for 3 years and it would be nice to give it a go again.

Edited by jackinbkk

Thanks

Thanks dogpoo,

yeah I didn't expect anywhere with as many large fish as BSR but it is good to be in a location where there is the chance to catch giants. I usually stick to shadow lake/gnao nam but the last time I was there 7 months ago it had really suffered from the 2011 flooding. Average size of fish must have dropped by about 15kgs, I had one day of catching no fish at all and on the following day I caught 3 fish below 5kg. smile.png . There was a very strong wind blowing. I suspect the fish moved to the opposite side of the lake and the lam that would usually sink slowly down in a cloud was going horizontally across the lake. The bait ball would also just be smashed to zero in seconds. The giant fish in this lake are a lot less common than they used to be. In times past you'd see a truly giant fish caught by somebody everyday. A fish that would blow you away.

I haven't caught a carp or redtail cat for 3 years and it would be nice to give it a go again.

You have a very good chance of catching a Redtail at Cha Am in fact it is guaranteed, as for the Carp yes a lot more chance at Cha Am, I am there next week with a few mates, only fishing there one day though on the 20th should be great fun!

Hi dogpoo,

For accommodation at Cha Am fishing resort, is it necessary to book in advance or walk in is just fine?

And do update us on your catch for your upcoming trip.

Cheers!

You don't have to book but it is best too just in case, they have different zones, 400 bht 450 bht most expensive is around 1300 bht for family room, it's a great place, yes I will let you know how it goes, I have been there many times and it never fails to disappoint, last time I was there the Arapaima was caught, approx 180 lbs, 2 lakes one predator lake is about 4500 bht per day guaranteed big fish, main lake 200 bht not guaranteed huge fish but they are there!!

Just back from Cha am, weather superb! A couple of Mekong around the 25kg mark plus lots of others, many Sawai, 1 Cahore approx 15kg, they were very happy and could not believe the power of these fish, lots of beer and good food plus a couple of trips into Hui Hin made the trip memorable!

How does one go about fishing here? Do they rent all the equipment you would need? I'll be in Cha-Am for a week in January and might like to spend a day here. I'm not too excited about carp (considered a "trash" fish here in the States), but would like to pull on something big. I'm an avid fisherman and own a tuna boat, but might need some guidance. Are guides available for hire or needed at all? I could certainly bring a reel or 2 from home, but rod isn't feasible. I've been to the park's website, but not much info related to my questions. I've even been to the park once before, but turned around and left after not being able to figure out the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

How does one go about fishing here? Do they rent all the equipment you would need? I'll be in Cha-Am for a week in January and might like to spend a day here. I'm not too excited about carp (considered a "trash" fish here in the States), but would like to pull on something big. I'm an avid fisherman and own a tuna boat, but might need some guidance. Are guides available for hire or needed at all? I could certainly bring a reel or 2 from home, but rod isn't feasible. I've been to the park's website, but not much info related to my questions. I've even been to the park once before, but turned around and left after not being able to figure out the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

You can hire there gear, it's not brilliant but will do the job( 400 bht per rod, 200 bht to fish for the day, guides can be hired not sure how much, bait is available there at 30 bht per bag. Enjoy!!

Thanks in advance.

You can hire there gear, it's not brilliant but will do the job( 400 bht per rod, 200 bht to fish for the day, guides can be hired not sure how much( cheap though, bait is available there at 30 bht per bag. Enjoy!!

There hire rods are set up with a float and cage feeder, if you are a fisherman it will take you 2 minutes to get the hang of this method, you can have the guide for a few minutes to show you how to prepare the bait then the rest is easy. Enjoy your day it never disappoints there!!

Thanks in advance.

You can hire there gear, it's not brilliant but will do the job( 400 bht per rod, 200 bht to fish for the day, guides can be hired not sure how much( cheap though, bait is available there at 30 bht per bag. Enjoy!!

There hire rods are set up with a float and cage feeder, if you are a fisherman it will take you 2 minutes to get the hang of this method, you can have the guide for a few minutes to show you how to prepare the bait then the rest is easy. Enjoy your day it never disappoints there!!

If you want a good chance of catching the Carp Lumb is essential!!

Guys can you tell me what would be the average size of a fish caught at cha am and what are their biggest?for exmaple BSR. Average size mekong cat probably 25 to 30kg with possible 110kg, average carp 30kg with possible 120kg.Also what's the typical catch rate like? A fish every 30 mins, 1 hr, 2 hours?Thanks
Thanks dogpoo,yeah I didn't expect anywhere with as many large fish as BSR but it is good to be in a location where there is the chance to catch giants. I usually stick to shadow lake/gnao nam but the last time I was there 7 months ago it had really suffered from the 2011 flooding. Average size of fish must have dropped by about 15kgs, I had one day of catching no fish at all and on the following day I caught 3 fish below 5kg. smile.png . There was a very strong wind blowing. I suspect the fish moved to the opposite side of the lake and the lam that would usually sink slowly down in a cloud was going horizontally across the lake. The bait ball would also just be smashed to zero in seconds. The giant fish in this lake are a lot less common than they used to be. In times past you'd see a truly giant fish caught by somebody everyday. A fish that would blow you away.I haven't caught a carp or redtail cat for 3 years and it would be nice to give it a go again.
Red tail are my favourite spieces to hook in the last months, But i like to hook them on very light lure tackle with a guppy sized lure, At pilot not many people target them and considered them difficult,I can often hook 3-4 in the morning then i notice they get very careful Thats when i target something else....some hours later they will go for the lure again.I,m told there is also a carp pond at pilot and its the only pond where bait fishing is allowed,I dont know anything about it or the fish in there and never seen anyone fishing on it so they surly ar,nt educated...might be worth a try for anyone thats into carp angling. Edited by tingtongfarang

What is Lumb?

When you mention using chicken for bait, is it chicken liver? I've used both chicken & beef liver for catfish bait. The beef tends to stay on the hook better than chicken.

Lumb or Lumb cow is the 2nd stage of milled rice, carp and Mekong love it, mix it up and use on the hook along with bread, also good as a ground bait as it gives a nice cloud in the water, chicken breast, chicken heart, never tried chicken liver but I am sure it will work!

What is Lumb?

When you mention using chicken for bait, is it chicken liver? I've used both chicken & beef liver for catfish bait. The beef tends to stay on the hook better than chicken.

Lumb or Lumb cow is the 2nd stage of milled rice, carp and Mekong love it, mix it up and use on the hook along with bread, also good as a ground bait as it gives a nice cloud in the water, chicken breast, chicken heart, never tried chicken liver but I am sure it will work!

It still seems to be referred to as lam everywhere I go, maybe just for the farang?

Anyway did 2 weeks in Bangkok fishing and kept meaning to go to Cha Am but I had some good success in shadow lake.

vlcsnap_2013_01_02_12h19m36s148.jpg

Much harder than before. 2 or 3 fish a day average now when it used to be 2 fish every half hour. I will definitely visit Cha Am next time. Everyone who has been there only says positive things about the place.

What is Lumb?

It still seems to be referred to as lam everywhere I go, maybe just for the farang?

Anyway did 2 weeks in Bangkok fishing and kept meaning to go to Cha Am but I had some good success in shadow lake.

Much harder than before. 2 or 3 fish a day average now when it used to be 2 fish every half hour. I will definitely visit Cha Am next time. Everyone who has been there only says positive things about the place.

I will be there soon as a mate is arriving from the UK at the end of this month, it's a great place and at a great price, better to bring your own gear as there equipment is not the best!

Edited by dogpoo

I fished cha am fishing park last year (first time)

There were infact 6 0f us there for 2 days but they told they only allow 2 rods on the predator lake per day and no fishing on there the next day to give them a rest,

Best to book the predator lake in advance maybe.

That sounds fair! So how did the fishing go? Did you only fish the predator lake?

Hey dogpoo, Do u bring your own landing net there or rent one there? From a few of the YouTube video I seen, it seems that the landing net they provide are pretty small.

Also I tried to make a booking of their room via email Provided in their webpage, but they are not replying. Not sure if u have a working email or a contact number for the pond...

Hey dogpoo, Do u bring your own landing net there or rent one there? From a few of the YouTube video I seen, it seems that the landing net they provide are pretty small.

Also I tried to make a booking of their room via email Provided in their webpage, but they are not replying. Not sure if u have a working email or a contact number for the pond...

No good emailing them, you need to call, the number is on there web site, they have one big good landing net, if you get there early you can get this otherwise the landing nets provided are inadequate, even though the nets provided are small you can still get a big fish in them, the phone number is on the top right of there web page!

Check which zone you want to stay in before you call, all have a Different price, I think 400/450/900/1300 bht maybe one more price for the family room.

Edited by dogpoo

What is Lumb?

I will be there soon as a mate is arriving from the UK at the end of this month, it's a great place and at a great price, better to bring your own gear as there equipment is not the best!

Absolutely mate. This year I ran 130lb braid on reels with 40lb drags and PE5-8 rods and Owner hooks. I was putting massive heat on these fish but they were nearly pulling me in at times.

Best freshwater fishing in the world.

There were infact 6 0f us there for 2 days but they told they only allow 2 rods on the predator lake per day and no fishing on there the next day to give them a rest,

That sounds fair! So how did the fishing go? Did you only fish the predator lake?

Did,nt fish the predator lake myself...i prefure to go for amazon predators with the lure and quite light tackle, We were only there 2 days so it was only possible to fish the predator lake for one day...cost was 4000 per rod and 4 friends split the day between them,

They had a great time with the harry palmers.

The rest of us fished the big lake...there were a couple of local expats targeting carp but i dont think they had any luck, I was aiming for big mehkongs and only had one around 30kg,

I guess there are some monsters on the big lake but the problem is the small-greedy and much faster pla sawai are always on the hook before the mehkongs get a chance to find it,

Btw although i had much heavier tackle with me ( custom rods with accurate multipliers-80lb braid) i think heavy gear there is way ott,

i stayed with a rod for max 4pe with a tuned avet multiplier ...40lb mono.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Did,nt fish the predator lake myself...i prefure to go for amazon predators with the lure and quite light tackle, We were only there 2 days so it was only possible to fish the predator lake for one day...cost was 4000 per rod and 4 friends split the day between them,

They had a great time with the harry palmers.

The rest of us fished the big lake...there were a couple of local expats targeting carp but i dont think they had any luck, I was aiming for big mehkongs and only had one around 30kg,

I guess there are some monsters on the big lake but the problem is the small-greedy and much faster pla sawai are always on the hook before the mehkongs get a chance to find it,

Btw although i had much heavier tackle with me ( custom rods with accurate multipliers-80lb braid) i think heavy gear there is way ott,

i stayed with a rod for max 4pe with a tuned avet multiplier ...40lb mono.

The time for the big Mekongs is later in the afternoon and when it gets dark!