Thailand Set To Ban Alcohol Sales At Roadside Stalls

webfact

It's kinda overkill - you can't drink inside vehicles anymore, anyway.

Even as a passenger?

yes even as passenger, as well it is not allowed to sell alcohol on the shops (7/11, etc) at the gasoline stations.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three regulations would be submitted for approval to the National Alcohol Beverage Policy Committee, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, before the |premier signs their implementation. He said he expected the regulations to take effect during the New Year period as a gift to Thais.

This is one gift horse that Thais should closely inspect in the mouth. That Khun Plod is masterminding it ensures it's ineffectiveness.

Beware of Thai Governments bearing gifts.

99% of all rules are a curse to all Thais and not a gift. But the establishment feel that where they can misbehave the average Somchai needs protection. In the meantime beer and whiskey will be freely available in any 7/11 and mini-markt and will be consumed on the street. Clear thinking.

It is time that there will be laws for directors of government agencies that they cannot longer go to work and never ever propose a law anymore just to protect themselves from overestimating their funny animal farm behavior.

Hold on a moment, this must be untrue because 90% of the bars and restaurants that I go to are next to a road.. surely they can't ban alcohol in all of them.

so the pavements in Sukhumvit Rd after midnight will be a quiet place now! cheesy.gif

You might be surprised it could easily be considered as "private property" and the shops are still selling so the mess will just be a bit bigger.

Most of the roadside vendors I see are just selling Thai food, water or soft drinks anyway. This will be just like the police bans on prostitution anyway. Nothing for 51 weeks of the year, then drag a few in and slap them with a fine that will cost a night's work and business as usual.

I like Cheap Charlies.

II can't imagine an afternoon in the park, like Khao Yai, where I can't finish up with a couple of cold beers. I can understand wanting to get drunks off the highways, but what is the point of banning alcohol in state parks? I have never seen a bunch of drunks causing a problem in state parks. I don't think many drunks bother to even go to state parks. Just sounds like a bunch of political bullshit.

• Like 1

With no policing of the police who are policing the police who are enforcing the sales regulations....there will be no ban, just a bit of inconvenience. It will be like nearly every other ban...if sellers want to sell they will be asked to make a gracious donation to the Police Benevolent and Retirement Fund.

Have always wondered at the "logic" behind banning the sale of alcohol between 2-5 PM. What is the justification behind this law? If it is to discourage students from drinking after school, then surely it would make more sense to enforce a legal drinking age, as opposed to a blanket ban for everyone. whistling.gif

That law was introduced by the post coup administration in paternal manner to prevent middle class school kids drinking, kids from poor families are unlikely to be able to afford beer. It originally applied to all outlets, yet was amended later to only businesses with foreign ownership, meaning that foreign owned bars were restricted whilst a Thai owned bar next door was not. Therefore macro, lotus, big c, 711 were unable to sell a alcohol during those times. Better to police age limits, encourage responsible alcohol consumption and actual driving rules.

Many years ago, an uncle of my wife, the only car in the village, offered to drive us some 400km to visit another branch of the family. Every half hour or so he stopped, my belief was a weak bladder, after 3 or 4 stops I told my wife he was either blind or blind drunk and to stop the car and tell him either I was driving or we were going no further. This was at 7.00 am. I drove. It is a common situation and these new alcohol measures will make little difference where village stores sell Lao kao by the shot.

Are you sure? I recall that it was made by Thaksin, but I could be wrong.

I believe it was one of Thaksin's cronies as well....i think it was the Minister of the Interior at the time that introduced all the alcohol regulations back around 2002.

Sounds about like a Thaksin idea. Similar to his idea of trading chickens for jets.

I know - I keep spilling it !

My God man where is your ingenuity? Pop down to your local Home Pro and buy a metre of 3 mm (or larger depending on preference) plastic tubing and a paper clip, place your can of prefered ale into the cup holder in your vehicle, insert one end of the tubing into the said can of ale and clip the other end to your colar in easy access of your mouth. Problem solved and no spillage unless some sober bastard runs up your rear end.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

was stopped 3am recently by a big police road check whilst on my suzuki hayabusa kayate 125, told to go into a football field and the copper told me it was only for cars so i just drove home - ??. although I have to say Rayong is having a lot more roadside checks day & night now, will have to start paying for taxis soon.

It seems to me that all these laws, which are enacted to reduce the amount of alcohol consumed and to keep it away from underage drinkers and road users – and which is also a huge sop to the ruling party’s religious lobby supporters – end up having the same, unintended consequences, that prohibition did in the USA back in the 1930’s.

Prohibition in the USA led to massive increase in alcohol consumption, a proliferation of places to get drunk at, and a thriving business for the Mafia, the effects of which are still felt today. It was an open secret that everyone drunk at speakeasies, which were run by criminals, often with police partners, or with police getting backhanders to turn a blind eye.

After years of mayhem and increasing drunkenness, to say nothing of the violence and murders between competing gangs, the government finally saw sense and repealed the unenforceable regulations.

Does that situation ring a sort of a bell in what is happening with alcohol laws in Thailand? Sure they are not banning it completely, but all these laws are being ignored by a large percentage of the population which enables the police and the criminal elements to cash in. The more laws they pass, the more they can make.

I have no vested interest in this as on 31sT December I will have been sober for two years, but I have not turned into a crusading teetotaller. If you want to drink all night, you should be allowed to do so, but you should always drink responsibly and not be a menace or nuisance to others.

Clearly the solution is to have strict drink driving laws that put drunk-drivers behind bars and cancel their licences, as happens in most western democracies. But to do this you need incorrupt police.

I know, pigs and all that jazz….

• Like 1

What is it with these people?

The annual carnage that is Thai New Year on the roads when upto a thousand people will die is almost upon us. These clowns have no idea how to get the figures down, that is why you have ridiculous nonsense like this.

It never occurs to those in power to simply enforce existing laws for some reason.

In consideration for your dignity you should consider not living amongst "these clowns."wink.png Edited by techboy

I welcome this new law: We pedestrians get back some of the sidewalks that are now crowded with all sorts of "establishments". Also, according to the OP, it clarifies the ban of 2-5pm to exclude bars and restaurants, so we can enjoy our afternoon beers everywhere.

I know - I keep spilling it !

My God man where is your ingenuity? Pop down to your local Home Pro and buy a metre of 3 mm (or larger depending on preference) plastic tubing and a paper clip, place your can of prefered ale into the cup holder in your vehicle, insert one end of the tubing into the said can of ale and clip the other end to your colar in easy access of your mouth. Problem solved and no spillage unless some sober bastard runs up your rear end.thumbsup.gif

or you could buy one off these 30084.jpg

By roadside bars, they mean the bars which do bot operate within the confines of a fixed building.

The new ruling means you pay before midnight, and drink until your money runs out or you go hone, and are hopefully sober enough to ask for whatever is left of the money you handed over. This is bound to cause obvious issues, and is similar to laws I've seen upcountry.

This law is easily worked around, and considering police extort the bars along sukhumvit road, I am sure they will continue to be operated by locals, extorted by police, frequented by drunks and used by mafias as a place to swindle a drunk visitor.

This is the place where the Police and the Mafias of Africa shake hands every night without even realising.

I don't see any mention in the OP about roadside bars, maybe it was just some imagination of yours?

There is no chance that discos and clubs will no longer serve between midnight and 2 am,

anymore than there are no longer large establishments that serve between 2 am and 5 am.

or that there will no longer be sidewalk bars with food on Sukhumvit after midnight.

The only ones that will truly be effected are the hotels and restaurants in visible area.

And they will now start screaming bloddy murder.

This will be a short harassment period, with higher fines, and some high profile example cases,

and then a a slow down to a steady feeder of teamoney up the police chain to the bosses.

Because as a few above noted, the changing of the law means nothing when the enforcement can be bribed off.

This is one reason Thaksin has had the police behind him for many years, he knows how the

'Police Control and Pension Mechanism' works, and makes laws regularly to feed it to his best advantage.

This is yet another installment of Thaksin feeds the police more tea money and keeps his power.

How in the world did Thaksin come in to this.
  • Like 1