Thailand Set To Ban Alcohol Sales At Roadside Stalls

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no chance that discos and clubs will no longer serve between midnight and 2 am,

anymore than there are no longer large establishments that serve between 2 am and 5 am.

or that there will no longer be sidewalk bars with food on Sukhumvit after midnight.

The only ones that will truly be effected are the hotels and restaurants in visible area.

And they will now start screaming bloddy murder.

This will be a short harassment period, with higher fines, and some high profile example cases,

and then a a slow down to a steady feeder of teamoney up the police chain to the bosses.

Because as a few above noted, the changing of the law means nothing when the enforcement can be bribed off.

This is one reason Thaksin has had the police behind him for many years, he knows how the

'Police Control and Pension Mechanism' works, and makes laws regularly to feed it to his best advantage.

This is yet another installment of Thaksin feeds the police more tea money and keeps his power.

How in the world did Thaksin come in to this.

It's just a hobby!

lucky your not in Australia where the new rule over xmas is ...not concentrating on the road will cost you $300...and a few demerit points ...no looking around and no doin nothing exce[t looking straight ahead kkrap....

over regulated and over charged Australia

Ban, ban, ban. Ban this, ban that, ban the other. It's a global epidemic. Won't be too long before they run out of stuff to ban, and nobody will be able to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

What is it with these people?

There is quite a few things needing banned in Thailand, and the things that need to be banned enforced, if Thailand is worried about alcohol causing road deaths then I see their point, but they also need to enforce it and also enforce the so called bans of motorbikes riding on sidewalks, underage riders, people with no licences etc
  • Like 1

Thailand need some people with sense making the laws. New laws are certainly needed and the existing ones need a thorough overhaul as they are woefully outdated. Certain laws need scrapping as they are anti-justice or just plain Anal. Other laws need strengthening and they all are so so so desperately in need of enforcing. Not only that Thailand desperately needs a police force its people and guests can rely on to work to uphold the law. The corruption is so complete many police, lawyers and judges are all in the corruption together - like a big team of bloodsuckers. So the legal protocols need changing as well to stop this half day (meaning 1hr) a hearing then adjourn nonsense which makes justice unavailable to all but the rich. There is a sort of legal aid system but again it is woefully inadequate, biased and racist

Thailand need some people with sense making the laws. New laws are certainly needed and the existing ones need a thorough overhaul as they are woefully outdated. Certain laws need scrapping as they are anti-justice or just plain Anal. Other laws need strengthening and they all are so so so desperately in need of enforcing. Not only that Thailand desperately needs a police force its people and guests can rely on to work to uphold the law. The corruption is so complete many police, lawyers and judges are all in the corruption together - like a big team of bloodsuckers. So the legal protocols need changing as well to stop this half day (meaning 1hr) a hearing then adjourn nonsense which makes justice unavailable to all but the rich. There is a sort of legal aid system but again it is woefully inadequate, biased and racist

Thailand people with sense. HO HO HO.

I hope they are going to ban those mobile bars in Bangkok that take up the pavements on Sukhumvit between the Landmark Hotel and the Nana intersection, between Soi Cowboy and the Asoke Sukhumvit intersection and on Soi 11. The ones outside the Landmark are particularly loathesome as they are "manned" by aggressive ladyboys who try to drag passing pdestrians in. Those ones are apparently directly owned by police and have got away with beating at least one customer to death over a bill dispute. So I suppose there is as chance as pigs flying.

was stopped 3am recently by a big police road check whilst on my suzuki hayabusa kayate 125, told to go into a football field and the copper told me it was only for cars so i just drove home - ??. although I have to say Rayong is having a lot more roadside checks day & night now, will have to start paying for taxis soon.

I wasn't stopped by police for breath testing in 20 years of driving a car in Bkk. In the last two years I have been stopped about 10 times and once extorted for 10,000 baht after two small beers two hours earlier which I am pretty hadn't really put me over the limit. However, I was not willing to try to argue the case in a corrupt court that habitually accepts evidence it knows to be false provided by police it knows to be corrupt. I also didn't want a criminal record. Mrs Arkady was furious I paid so much but I don't have her option to flutter eyelashes at a policeman who turns out to be from the same place as her father and get off scot free after refusing to blow into the machine.

Stop at midnight on ALL alcohol sales??

Many of us do not go out until late and love a good session until about 2 in the morning when the music stops.

This is a crazy law they are weanting to implement.

If they want to stop accidents, use the breatherliser laws and enforce them. One people KNOW they cannot drink and drive, they will stop.

No they won't, not in any country, people who drink and drive are all the same, they just don't believe they will get caught.
  • Like 1

MAKRO will be quiet in the mornings.

As long as you buy 10 lt. or more there is no restriction in alcohol selling time, so just buy 2 boxes of beer instead of 1.

At the moment. Hope it stays that way. But it says ALL SELLERS in the OP

I believe the 10lt or more rule is for resellers running businesses, so it is unlikely to change. All new bans around the world seem to affect primarily the individual - not companies.

Have always wondered at the "logic" behind banning the sale of alcohol between 2-5 PM. What is the justification behind this law? If it is to discourage students from drinking after school, then surely it would make more sense to enforce a legal drinking age, as opposed to a blanket ban for everyone. whistling.gif

That law was introduced by the post coup administration in paternal manner to prevent middle class school kids drinking, kids from poor families are unlikely to be able to afford beer. It originally applied to all outlets, yet was amended later to only businesses with foreign ownership, meaning that foreign owned bars were restricted whilst a Thai owned bar next door was not. Therefore macro, lotus, big c, 711 were unable to sell a alcohol during those times. Better to police age limits, encourage responsible alcohol consumption and actual driving rules.

Many years ago, an uncle of my wife, the only car in the village, offered to drive us some 400km to visit another branch of the family. Every half hour or so he stopped, my belief was a weak bladder, after 3 or 4 stops I told my wife he was either blind or blind drunk and to stop the car and tell him either I was driving or we were going no further. This was at 7.00 am. I drove. It is a common situation and these new alcohol measures will make little difference where village stores sell Lao kao by the shot.

Are you sure? I recall that it was made by Thaksin, but I could be wrong.

I think the taksin law was to prevent late night karaoke bars operating in residential areas after 1.00 am, a noise issue rather than an alcohol issue. (There was also a law during the taksin regime that banned sales of alcohol at petrol stations) We had a karaoke about 2 km away that quietened down after that, now has been completely removed due to the amount of trouble (fights and even a couple of shootings). I definitely remember the ability to buy beer from 711 etc was restricted to certain times post coup. It was originally applied to all business alcohol sales, then later amended due to pressure from the Thai businesses in this sector. Another post coup law was to remove the 20baht lottery ticket, thereby putting it back into the black market illegal lottery.

Just formal conformation that at birth, all Thai polititions had the nappies put on the wrong end.

I have always thought that at birth the doctor/midwife threw the wrong bits away. I suspect that when Chalerm was born, he was so ugly that the doctor slapped his mother instead.

• Like 2

I don't recall that even 20 years ago it was allowed in civilised countries to sell alcoholic beverages at gasstations or roadside stalls.

What is so strange about the same rule being applied in Thailand ?

There are numerous petrol/service stations in the UK that sell alcohol.

But I also said civilised countries laugh.png

I have noticed a proliferation of mobile "cocktail" bars here on Samui at weekly "Walking street" markets. Its the old Thai habit, one person does it successfully and another twenty try to copy ! Will this new "crack down" effect these street cocktail bars, who i very much doubt, pay any taxes and are unlicenced whereas the local bar owners have to conform.

There is no chance that discos and clubs will no longer serve between midnight and 2 am,

anymore than there are no longer large establishments that serve between 2 am and 5 am.

or that there will no longer be sidewalk bars with food on Sukhumvit after midnight.

The only ones that will truly be effected are the hotels and restaurants in visible area.

And they will now start screaming bloddy murder.

This will be a short harassment period, with higher fines, and some high profile example cases,

and then a a slow down to a steady feeder of teamoney up the police chain to the bosses.

Because as a few above noted, the changing of the law means nothing when the enforcement can be bribed off.

This is one reason Thaksin has had the police behind him for many years, he knows how the

'Police Control and Pension Mechanism' works, and makes laws regularly to feed it to his best advantage.

This is yet another installment of Thaksin feeds the police more tea money and keeps his power.

You may remember though, during the Thaksin years for a period of a year or two, they actually WERE closing the bars down at 12 midnight on a consistent basis.

Have always wondered at the "logic" behind banning the sale of alcohol between 2-5 PM. What is the justification behind this law? If it is to discourage students from drinking after school, then surely it would make more sense to enforce a legal drinking age, as opposed to a blanket ban for everyone. whistling.gif

I don't understand this 2-5 pm ban either, just buy enough at 1.55 to get you through to 5 p.m. I can't really see it have any effect on a persons consumption.

Indeed, but I can't count the number of times I've stopped by the market on the way home from work and ever so briefly felt like buying a bottle of wine/a few beers for the evening, but then rolled my eyes immediately upon checking my watch to see it's only 10 after 4. rolleyes.gif

Is it ok for me to say where to go to buy wine (All and good selection ) and beer and whatever you need off hours or will I get banned from TV...??sad.png

There are 2 places I go to .. and there are probably more too ...??

Edited by Meetoo

Ban, ban, ban. Ban this, ban that, ban the other. It's a global epidemic. Won't be too long before they run out of stuff to ban, and nobody will be able to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

What is it with these people?

I have no idea! Why not get rid of these stupid laws, including the times when you may buy a bottle of booze. Just make a law, in which it is said, that you have to present your ID, to verify, that you are of legal age to purchchase alcohol, or even smokes.

Alcohol sales set to be banned at roadside stalls

They should make this ban permenant, not just for the holidays.

Not that anyone will really enforce it anyway. Just extra tea money for the pride of Thailand, the BIB.

I understand, it is planned and should and will be permanent!

This has to be a joke, right?? Roadside? What bar isn't next to a road? Those accessible by boat and/or air only???

Means more likely, " goodbye to the bars that appear on Sukhumvit at midnite?" and something like it!

Just formal conformation that at birth, all Thai polititions had the nappies put on the wrong end.

I have always thought that at birth the doctor/midwife threw the wrong bits away. I suspect that when Chalerm was born, he was so ugly that the doctor slapped his mother instead.

Polititions ....................Chalerm certainly puts the "tit " bit in it !!!

Good!

I like it. After having serious accident being drunk I would prefer if they ban alcohol at all...

So you are saying because you were a tool who got plastered and injured himself, a person with a drinking problem, then the rest of society should be punished for your own personal actions? Geez pass me a drink I must be reading this wrong.

I don't understand this 2-5 pm ban either, just buy enough at 1.55 to get you through to 5 p.m. I can't really see it have any effect on a persons consumption.

Indeed, but I can't count the number of times I've stopped by the market on the way home from work and ever so briefly felt like buying a bottle of wine/a few beers for the evening, but then rolled my eyes immediately upon checking my watch to see it's only 10 after 4. rolleyes.gif

Is it ok for me to say where to go to buy wine (All and good selection ) and beer and whatever you need off hours or will I get banned from TV...??sad.png

There are 2 places I go to .. and there are probably more too ...??

There are exclusive wine merchants that trade all day. I know of a one in Chiangmai who is open from 10 a.m to 6 p.m and you can purchase wines during those times. You are not going to buy you Chaing Beers or Thai whiskey there as they don't stock it just a selection of local and international wines. Maybe these businesses have a different licence.

I don't recall that even 20 years ago it was allowed in civilised countries to sell alcoholic beverages at gasstations or roadside stalls.

What is so strange about the same rule being applied in Thailand ?

There are numerous petrol/service stations in the UK that sell alcohol.

But I also said civilised countries laugh.png

Fair comment.