Thailand Set To Ban Alcohol Sales At Roadside Stalls

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ban, ban, ban. Ban this, ban that, ban the other. It's a global epidemic. Won't be too long before they run out of stuff to ban, and nobody will be able to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

What is it with these people?

One surprising recent exception to the ban ban ban mentality is the recent legalisation of weed in Washington:-)

Regarding the announcement in LoS if banning roadside sales of booze results in a few less people being killed or injured due to drunk drivers that would be a step in the right direction. I thought that the general restictions on alcohol sales had been in place for years already so I don't know why that news. Anyway it just means a bit of planning is required just like when I last lived in UK

Edited by kruangfaifar

Ban, ban, ban. Ban this, ban that, ban the other. It's a global epidemic. Won't be too long before they run out of stuff to ban, and nobody will be able to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

What is it with these people?

One surprising recent exception to the ban ban ban mentality is the recent legalisation of weed in Washington:-)

Regarding the announcement in LoS if banning roadside sales of booze results in a few less people being killed or injured due to drunk drivers that would be a step in the right direction. I thought that the general restictions on alcohol sales had been in place for years already so I don't know why that news. Anyway it just means a bit of planning is required just like when I last lived in UK

US politicians are desperate to draw attention from the authoritarian state they're building. They've watched China carefully and are keen not to repeat their mistakes. So they've legalised weed to distract the attention of the baby boomers, which are the base of political mandate in any Western country these days, and the only demographic who consistently vote.

There is no chance that discos and clubs will no longer serve between midnight and 2 am,

anymore than there are no longer large establishments that serve between 2 am and 5 am.

or that there will no longer be sidewalk bars with food on Sukhumvit after midnight.

The only ones that will truly be effected are the hotels and restaurants in visible area.

And they will now start screaming bloddy murder.

This will be a short harassment period, with higher fines, and some high profile example cases,

and then a a slow down to a steady feeder of teamoney up the police chain to the bosses.

Because as a few above noted, the changing of the law means nothing when the enforcement can be bribed off.

This is one reason Thaksin has had the police behind him for many years, he knows how the

'Police Control and Pension Mechanism' works, and makes laws regularly to feed it to his best advantage.

This is yet another installment of Thaksin feeds the police more tea money and keeps his power.

You may remember though, during the Thaksin years for a period of a year or two, they actually WERE closing the bars down at 12 midnight on a consistent basis.

Yes and the coup came right after. Welcome to Thaksin years revisited

I don't recall that even 20 years ago it was allowed in civilised countries to sell alcoholic beverages at gasstations or roadside stalls.

What is so strange about the same rule being applied in Thailand ?

There are numerous petrol/service stations in the UK that sell alcohol.

But I also said civilised countries laugh.png

You can buy alcohol along the highways in France too.

Fine bottles of Red Wine, top-shelf beer, whiskey, etc. etc.

But they also have serious drunk driving enforcement.

That is the main difference with here.

Edited by animatic

I hope it's not enforced/ too much tea money demanded; sure there's a lot of pissed off small buisiness people around the country cursing this government right now.

What with the hotel licensing and minimum wage and this and that looks like a Thaksin inspired buisiness plan to squash the SMEs so only the big and connected can take care themselves and the free self employed are forced in to the system of worker ants. It's this kind of shit that's fuc_ked the west already; Thailand would do well not to follow!