BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thai Army's Airship Crashes, Hurts Four

ARMY

Airship crash hurts four

The Nation

30196101-01_big.jpg

PATTANI: -- The Royal Thai Army's airship crashed yesterday while providing surveillance for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's visit to Pattani, falling from an altitude of 15 metres.

Four crewmembers suffered minor injuries as they jumped from the aircraft before it hit the ground. The incident took place at around 3pm in a Pattani military camp as the airship was coming in for a landing.

As much as 50 per cent of the airship's body was damaged, a military spokesperson said. However, journalists and outsiders were prohibited from entering the crash site. The Fourth Army Region, which operates the airship, issued no comments.

Costing Bt350 million, the controversial airship was purchased around three years ago by the Army's then-chief Anupong Paochinda to provide surveillance in the South. Plagued with technical problems, the airship could not fly at a satisfactory altitude and was deemed too vulnerable for military operations.

Kept in a hangar in Pattani, it has flown only recently, making a surveillance flight last month during the Loy Krathong festival.

Around Bt25 million has been spent on upkeep and improvements to the airship, an A-40D Sky Dragon manufactured by the Worldwide Aeros Corporation. For a time, the airship was kept deflated, which caused leaks to develop. So Bt300,000 a month has been required to keep it filled with helium to prevent further leaks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-14

Umm ummm Mrs Yingluck we broke our blimpsad.png . We love our blimp soooooo much, can you give us B100 million to fix it.whistling.gif

Ok now I will go change my shorts, I pissed my self, laughing.

Edited by dcutman

This 'flying pig' makes Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose look like a solid investment!

• Like 1

Oh the humanity.... wait, isn't this thing unmanned? why were people on board when it crashed?

I am surprised they crashed it for an insurance job as that is the only way it is good for them. I thought it would have been easier to "sell" it to someone of authority for fifty baht and they could sell it for several million and pocket it. They seem to be good at that.

The thing is helium and air look exactly the same so who would know if they used the cheaper alternative ???

The Army has spent Bt25 million to maintain the Bt350-million blimp, which mostly involves Bt300,000 a month to keep it filled with helium to keep it intact and prevent leaks.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Army-defends-blimp-repairs-30191291.html

Another one!!!

A few years back some high ranking military person built a huge shed on Soi Siam Country Club Road in Pattaya where he stored a blimp that was going to be used for tourist trips.

It held about 6 persons and sat there for months awaiting air traffic approval and on its maiden flight it crashed and was destroyed.

• Like 2