At Least 27 Dead In Connecticut School Shooting - Cbs News

News_Editor

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would point out, at 20 years old, you are not allowed to purchase a handgun under United States Federal law. You have to be 21 years old to purchase a handgun.

Yep, gun control works well. Just go to trade show a buy you an AK. Just give them a fake name so through don't know you escaped from an insane asylum and are wanted for murder. Should be good to go.

Seems the 2nd amendment is more important than school children... sad.png

If the USA had proper gun control laws then there is a very good chance that this killer would not have had a gun in the first place.

Would this including the 12 dead and 11 others wounded by a gunman in the Cumbria shootings in Britain two years ago?

Or would it include the 16 killed and the 15 injured in the Hungerford mass murders by a gunman in Britain where a gunman with two semi-automatic rifles and a handgun cut loose?

No? Then perhaps it was the Port Arthur massacre in Australia - In 1996, armed with two semi-automatic rifles, Martin Bryant killed 35 people around Port Arthur and wounded 21?

Ah, Australia essentially outlawed such guns after that, but then there was the Childers Palace Fire - In June 2000, Robert Long started a fire at the Childers Palace backpackers hostel that killed 15 people.

So people really don't obey laws if they are really killers, do they? They don't even need guns, do they?

Maybe it was the Finnish gunmen, 22-year-old Matti Juhani Saari, who opened fire with a semi-automatic pistol on fellow students killing 10 in 2008?

No? Then was it the July 2005 London bombings where 52 were killed and 700 more injured?

Killers will kill and all we can do is mourn after the fact. Sad.

Prayers up for the friends, parents a relatives of the victims. It is a terrible thing.

Mainly it includes the 12,000 gun related deaths in USA each year.

I would point out, at 20 years old, you are not allowed to purchase a handgun under United States Federal law. You have to be 21 years old to purchase a handgun.

Does not make a difference, they should still be banned.

I hate to go into a gun control discussion on this thread. I do feel terrible for the victims and their families and do not feel now is a good time to get into it while others are grieving.

However, in the United States they will not be banned because there alot of people (me included) who will fight it tooth and nail. There's too many of us to defeat. And frankly if any such laws were introduced, then many would choose to be criminals rather than turn the guns over to the government.

Handguns should not be banned, or new laws implemented. The existing laws simply should be enforced to prevent those who should not have handguns from getting them.

• Like 2

Does gun control prevent gun crime?

Data out [on 11 Dec 2012] from the UK, where guns are banned, shows gun crime has soared by 35 percent.

Figures showed the number of crimes involving handguns had more than doubled since the post-Dunblane massacre ban on the weapons, from 2,636 in 1997-1998 to 5,871.

The Government's latest crime figures were condemned as "truly terrible" by the Tories today as it emerged that gun crime in England and Wales soared by 35% last year.

Criminals used handguns in 46% more offences, Home Office statistics revealed.

Gun control does not work, let everyone carry a gun over there, then they can finish off themselves over time...

I agree that if the teachers had carried a gun, he might have stopped earlier, but who would stop the teachers if they went apeshit??

RIP to all the children...

You've never been to a gun show if you think that is the way it works. Even there, they still run computer background check and even if you buy a gun at the gunshows I've been at, you won't receive it until days later.

Only from dealer, nit guy sitting next to him reselling his guns to felons and Mexican cartel members. Been to many a gun show and NY best friend has an arsenal. Another has full auto AK that he pai like $ 150 for part to make full auto.

Gun control does not work, let everyone carry a gun over there, then they can finish off themselves over time...

I agree that if the teachers had carried a gun, he might have stopped earlier, but who would stop the teachers if they went apeshit??

BBC is just taking about this. Police took down a gunman out side the Empire States building. Most of the casualties amongst innocent bystanders were shot by trained policemen. More guns isn't the answer.

• Like 1

BBC is just taking about this. Police took down a gunman out side the Empire States building. Most of the casualties amongst innocent bystanders were shot by trained policemen. More guns isn't the answer.

In that case, the BBC is getting it wrong. Again. The gunman is dead. BTW, just where is the "Empire States" building?

but who would stop the teachers if they went apeshit??

What would stop the police or the military if they went apeshit?? What are the people of France going to do when the 20% of their population which are "guests" turn on them and the citizens are unarmed?

After WWII, the Emperor of Japan flatly stated that the reason he never considered invading the US was that so many citizens were armed. The US has fewer than 2 million military personnel and that includes reserves. OTOH, 90 million citizens are armed with about 240 million guns and Lord only knows how much ammunition.

Out of the 90 million, one commits a crime and the statisticians on here won't even think of the danger of riding a scooter in Chiang Mai or Bangkok as a safety comparison.

• Like 1

CONNECTICUT SCHOOL SHOOTING

Police : 20 children among 26 victims : CNN

Newtown, Connecticut - Dressed in black fatigues and a military vest, a heavily armed man walked into a Connecticut elementary school Friday and opened fire, shattering the quiet of this southern New England town and leaving the nation reeling at the number of young lives lost.

CNN reported ithin minutes, 26 people were dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School -- 20 of them children. Among the six adults killed were Dawn Hochsprung, the school’s beloved principal, and school psychologist Mary Sherlach.

The shooter, identified by three law enforcement officials as 20-year-old Adam Lanza, also was killed, apparently by his own hand.

"Stuff like this does not happen in Newtown," a tight-knit community of about 27,000 just outside Danbury, said Renee Burn, a local teacher at another school in town. In the past 10 years, only one homicide had previously been reported.

How the school shooting unfolded Student: I saw bullets going past 3rd grader describes shooting from class

Young students described being ushered into bathrooms and closets by teachers as the first shots rang out.

Third-grader Alexis Wasik said police and teachers barged into her classroom and told students to hide in the corner.

"Everybody was crying," she said. "And I just heard the police officers yelling." One parent who was in the school at the time of the shooting said she heard a "pop, pop, pop," sound around 9:30 a.m. In the room with her were Hochsprung, the vice principal and Sherlach. All three left the room and went into the hall to see what was happening. The parent ducked under the table and called 911.

"I cowered," she told CNN’s Meredith Artley. The shooter "must have shot a hundred rounds."

Responding police officers helped evacuate the children, telling them to hold hands and keep their eyes closed to the carnage as they exited the building.

As reports of the shooting surfaced, frantic parents descended on a nearby firehouse where the children had been taken.

"Why? Why?" one woman wailed as she walked up a wooded roadway leading from the school.’It doesn’t seem possible’ -- parents shocked by school shooting

Police declined to speculate on a motive Friday evening, citing the ongoing investigation. Lanza had no known criminal record, a law enforcement official said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-15

At least one of the guns used was purchased by the teacher/mother of the gunman.

CNN has just reported that the two hand guns and the semi automatic rifle were all owned by the mother of the killer

In that case, the BBC is getting it wrong. Again. The gunman is dead. BTW, just where is the "Empire States" building?

Empire State Building. King Kong ring any bells?

Empire States

lol

anyway the "Empire State" is NY State and the empire state bldg is in manhattan NYC which is an hour from Newtown, CT with no traffic. A lot of people going whacko in the area. Last month there was the nanny of the cnbc exec stabbing 2 children to death under her care. She was 45. that took place in NYC

Is it to much to ask that the US goes the same way as the UK , apparently so.

Let's hope something positive can come from this tragedy such as a ban on gun ownership in the USA.

The Yanks really need to follow the UK's example and end these needless massacres.

No can't do that. It's all about the constitution. The Right to Bear Arms. That's how we were able to defeat England in the War of 1812.

• Like 1

CNN has just reported that the two hand guns and the semi automatic rifle were all owned by the mother of the killer

Just wondering how much Books can influence these horrible school shootings to happen? .... Jodi Picoult wrote a book called "Nineteen Minutes" in 2007 and which is the tale of a teenager kid who goes on a shooting rampage in his school and all the details and background of this kid ( including that the guns he used were owned by his father in this case ) match so closely to this shooting and the previous one a year or so ago.... I wonder ?? To what extent is there a Copy Cat effect??

Just wondering how much Books can influence these horrible school shootings to happen? .... Jodi Picoult wrote a book called "Nineteen Minutes" in 2007 and which is the tale of a teenager kid who goes on a shooting rampage in his school and all the details and background of this kid ( including that the guns he used were owned by his father in this case ) match so closely to this shooting and the previous one a year or so ago.... I wonder ?? To what extent is there a Copy Cat effect??

Or TV, We used to play out as kids .Japs & Commandos, Cowboys and Indians. So what we see or read might influence part of our activities, however none of my mates turned out to be mass murderers though. There has to be some thing psychologically wrong for these people to do something like this.

Edited by Mosha